As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pikmin] Once again, it's time to pillage PNF-404!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    That item's worse than the one that brings them to you.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Random thoughts:

-I think I really do not like the whole "Dandori" system. First the actual multiplayer bit. Why in the everloving fuck is it still splitscreen when playing solo?! Worse, it's vertical splitscreen. Which in a game that decided to move to a more behind the back style of camera, is all the more worse. I just feel like I can't properly see shit. The only real solution is to zoom all the way out for an aerial view. Which helps some, but now everything's zoomed way out and hard to see in its own right! And as for the actual battle, I don't know. You throw a group of pikmin at an object to carry it, then move on to another task, as "dandori" dictates. But then the other player just comes along and takes your shit while your attention is elsewhere. You send Oatchi to do a task, and sometimes he comes back automatically and sometimes he doesn't. You'll have pikmin just idle about, but with all the hectic action it's hard to actually pay attention. A bunch of this is probably just me being rubbish at the actual battle part. But it just feels like I'm being asked to juggle 100 different balls in the air, and between the insanity and simply not being able to see... actually playing this is a chore. And if you want to be a completionist, you have to win by over 100 points. I've no frigging idea how I'm going to do that on the last two battles, holy fuck.

-Timed dandori, I like much better. But again, either my skills completely suck, or these tasks want either a hyper specific strat or are tuned too damn hard. So many of them come down to the last 10 seconds or so. One of them I had to do like 50 times, because despite feeling like I was playing absolutely strategically, I was still nowhere close. Again though this is probably more on me. I feel like my go-to strat is to just get all pikmin on a task to get it done in seconds as opposed to a minimum number doing it in minutes. Still it feels like if you have idle pikmin for even 5 seconds, you're fucking up. I mean it says something I was willing to keep at it 50 times in a row, so I still like it somewhat. I just could not frigging figure out the right "dandori".

-Weird plot points in the second half that continue to echo the whole "Pikmin canon" issue:
    The last area has you rescuing a vet and her 2 colleagues. They look pretty much exactly like Alph, Brittney, and Charlie, except... they're not. And I'm just sitting here wondering... but why though? I mean sure, it doesn't really matter one bit if they were or weren't them. I just can't understand why you'd go to the effort of creating these carbon copy characters over using... the existing characters that are already there. Overall, yeah it doesn't really matter and it feels like a petty complaint. But between the opening of the game being "Pikmin 1 but I guess there was always a dog there now", Olimar mode literally being this new condensed retelling of Pikmin 1, and now Pikmin 3 characters showing up with their serial number filed off... I don't know, it sort of feels like Nintendo looked at the stories of Pikmin 1-3, were embarrassed by them, and decided to just start the whole thing over from scratch.

And yeah, I realize how utterly banal it is to complain about the story in Pikmin. What's here is really good! And the gameplay is on fucking point. But every time I stop to think about the story, the same thought keeps popping into my head. "But why though?"

That feels like a lot of inane bitching. I'm still binging the everloving hell out of the game and having a blast.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Can you just play the main menu's Dandori battle mode P1 vs CPU and give yourself the easiest difficulty and Olimar the hardest to blitz that 100 point win achievement?

• Options

-Timed dandori, I like much better. But again, either my skills completely suck, or these tasks want either a hyper specific strat or are tuned too damn hard. So many of them come down to the last 10 seconds or so. One of them I had to do like 50 times, because despite feeling like I was playing absolutely strategically, I was still nowhere close. Again though this is probably more on me. I feel like my go-to strat is to just get all pikmin on a task to get it done in seconds as opposed to a minimum number doing it in minutes. Still it feels like if you have idle pikmin for even 5 seconds, you're fucking up. I mean it says something I was willing to keep at it 50 times in a row, so I still like it somewhat. I just could not frigging figure out the right "dandori".

Sending all your Pikmin to the same task is a very, very inefficient strategy for a couple of reasons, and it's worth having Pikmin be idle for a bit longer post-task if it means you don't do that. There are a few reasons, but the big ones are that travel time is your biggest time killer and drive-by assigning tasks to the minimum number of Pikmin lets you minimize the time and distance you as the captain have to move around, that it's more efficient to grow your Pikmin army by having several corpses and pikmin plucking activities happen at once, and that you suffer way more Pikmin-seconds of downtime from your whole army waiting around a few seconds than you do from 7 pikmin completing a task and waiting around a half minute while you're off keeping your Pikmin focused on other tasks.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I imagine the caveat would be dirt walls, as Oatchi charge + bunch of Pikmin blasting it down should be scarily effective at breaking those.
    And then you just continue through with everyone to gather whatever on the other side.

Also killing Moss didn't seem to be time effective.

discrider on
  • Options
    It's mainly gates/walls and nugget piles that I struggle with. One map has multiple 40-50 nugget piles, and a max pikmin count of 35. Sure, throw 5-10 pikmin at each pile and let them pick away at it throughout the map. But you're down that many pikmin and other tasks feel like they take that much longer.

Though I recently learned -and consider this a pro tip- that when he has the proper protection, Oatchi alone can take down a 2 bar electrical gate in around the same time it takes 5 pikmin to clear 1 bar. Also, boost his lifting power ASAP and learn to actually use him. The curve is stupid. Goes from 3/5/10/20/30/100. He can solo carry anything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I've been leaving the nugget piles for last and it seems to work out.

Do you remember which Dandori Challenge had a pile bigger than your Pikmin number? I don't remember running into that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Nugget piles used to be better to clear first in Pikmin 3 challenge modes, because the Pikmin would finish and idle at the empty pile, close to remaining treasures.
    In 4, now they finish at the ship, so I can't imagine they're worth grabbing unless they have bonus points or you have nothing left to do.
    Bigger things have to have a better Pikmin/point ratio, right?

• Options
    Looks to me like everything gives its weight in points. Although Dandori Battle does have the bonus items.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Well, then it's a matter of Pikmin speed and whether adding extra Pikmin to large items effectively increases their worth at the same distance from base.

Otherwise it's strip mine all the close stuff first.
    Or maybe steal stuff quickly from the centre so as to deny the opponent points.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Looking at random speed formula for Pikmin 3 from https://www.pikminwiki.com/Carry
    Looks like piles travel faster than the possible max speed on items (with the same not white, purple or pink Pikmin).

And whilst speed increases linearly, there's a cap on how slow items can move, and a fairly substantial base speed, so adding more Pikmin than the minimum does not get a corresponding decrease in travel time (i.e 2x Pikmin does not get 2x speed).

So it's likely most efficient to just huck Pikmin at things until they start moving, and grab piles.

discrider on
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Do you remember which Dandori Challenge had a pile bigger than your Pikmin number? I don't remember running into that.

I mean it's just Pikmin, but spoilered just to be polite:
    It's a challenge in the last area. I don't remember the name, but the layout is that there's a high wall on the far side of the area that only Oatchi can reach. And the gimmick is that you have to throw pikmin up to him. The loading screen tip talk about whether it's best to throw a little or the whole lot. But now that I'm actually typing this... I'm going to be slightly miffed if it turns out Oatchi can take pikmin with him through the hatch. Though honestly I doubt that would have saved that much time. Two +30 nugget piles on the ground, and I think 42 on the wall. For a while I was really freaking out because it looked like you'd have to keep throwing pikmin up there, but then I saw the climbing rope you can toss down, so nugget collection will be fully automated. But yeah, 5 yellow/10 rock to start, and 10 of each to find in the level. A few black bulborbs, and a giant jumping frog, and none of them go down particularly quick and easy even if you have all 35 pikmin and a fully maxed Oatchi charge

My general plan was: Set the yellows and Oatchi to break the two electric gates. Kill the small bulborbs easily enough, then collect all the rocks and set them on the frog. It's not super fast but it's safe. There are two dig mounds that will give you bomb rocks, used them to delete the 2 giant bulborbs. Set a small group onto the bottom nuggets. Then just try and clear out the top as quickly as possible. But it's still 2-3 trips at best. Then try and cleanup the bottom as well.

But yeah, either I was on the completely wrong path and too stubborn/stupid to change, and there was a much easier way to divvy all the work up. Or it was tuned just a little too hard. The first few times I cleared out the bottom half with super efficacy and zero downtime, then got to the top and choked on how much work has to be done there. And this was all for the max platinum score by the way. I could have just walked away with the gold, but at that point it was personal.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Random thoughts:

-I think I really do not like the whole "Dandori" system. First the actual multiplayer bit. Why in the everloving fuck is it still splitscreen when playing solo?! Worse, it's vertical splitscreen. Which in a game that decided to move to a more behind the back style of camera, is all the more worse. I just feel like I can't properly see shit. The only real solution is to zoom all the way out for an aerial view. Which helps some, but now everything's zoomed way out and hard to see in its own right! And as for the actual battle, I don't know. You throw a group of pikmin at an object to carry it, then move on to another task, as "dandori" dictates. But then the other player just comes along and takes your shit while your attention is elsewhere. You send Oatchi to do a task, and sometimes he comes back automatically and sometimes he doesn't. You'll have pikmin just idle about, but with all the hectic action it's hard to actually pay attention. A bunch of this is probably just me being rubbish at the actual battle part. But it just feels like I'm being asked to juggle 100 different balls in the air, and between the insanity and simply not being able to see... actually playing this is a chore. And if you want to be a completionist, you have to win by over 100 points. I've no frigging idea how I'm going to do that on the last two battles, holy fuck.

-Weird plot points in the second half that continue to echo the whole "Pikmin canon" issue:
    The last area has you rescuing a vet and her 2 colleagues. They look pretty much exactly like Alph, Brittney, and Charlie, except... they're not. And I'm just sitting here wondering... but why though? I mean sure, it doesn't really matter one bit if they were or weren't them. I just can't understand why you'd go to the effort of creating these carbon copy characters over using... the existing characters that are already there. Overall, yeah it doesn't really matter and it feels like a petty complaint. But between the opening of the game being "Pikmin 1 but I guess there was always a dog there now", Olimar mode literally being this new condensed retelling of Pikmin 1, and now Pikmin 3 characters showing up with their serial number filed off... I don't know, it sort of feels like Nintendo looked at the stories of Pikmin 1-3, were embarrassed by them, and decided to just start the whole thing over from scratch.

And yeah, I realize how utterly banal it is to complain about the story in Pikmin. What's here is really good! And the gameplay is on fucking point. But every time I stop to think about the story, the same thought keeps popping into my head. "But why though?"

That feels like a lot of inane bitching. I'm still binging the everloving hell out of the game and having a blast.

Good God yes the split screen thing. A computer controlled player is not sat next to me on the couch and does not need to steal 50% of my screen real estate! I guess some people may feel in control enough to benefit from screen peeking but not me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

I mean it's just Pikmin, but spoilered just to be polite:
    It's a challenge in the last area. I don't remember the name, but the layout is that there's a high wall on the far side of the area that only Oatchi can reach. And the gimmick is that you have to throw pikmin up to him. The loading screen tip talk about whether it's best to throw a little or the whole lot. But now that I'm actually typing this... I'm going to be slightly miffed if it turns out Oatchi can take pikmin with him through the hatch. Though honestly I doubt that would have saved that much time. Two +30 nugget piles on the ground, and I think 42 on the wall. For a while I was really freaking out because it looked like you'd have to keep throwing pikmin up there, but then I saw the climbing rope you can toss down, so nugget collection will be fully automated. But yeah, 5 yellow/10 rock to start, and 10 of each to find in the level. A few black bulborbs, and a giant jumping frog, and none of them go down particularly quick and easy even if you have all 35 pikmin and a fully maxed Oatchi charge

My general plan was: Set the yellows and Oatchi to break the two electric gates. Kill the small bulborbs easily enough, then collect all the rocks and set them on the frog. It's not super fast but it's safe. There are two dig mounds that will give you bomb rocks, used them to delete the 2 giant bulborbs. Set a small group onto the bottom nuggets. Then just try and clear out the top as quickly as possible. But it's still 2-3 trips at best. Then try and cleanup the bottom as well.

But yeah, either I was on the completely wrong path and too stubborn/stupid to change, and there was a much easier way to divvy all the work up. Or it was tuned just a little too hard. The first few times I cleared out the bottom half with super efficacy and zero downtime, then got to the top and choked on how much work has to be done there. And this was all for the max platinum score by the way. I could have just walked away with the gold, but at that point it was personal.

Oh, I don't think I've done that one yet. I'm not quite done with the final area.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Sending all your Pikmin to the same task is a very, very inefficient strategy for a couple of reasons, and it's worth having Pikmin be idle for a bit longer post-task if it means you don't do that. There are a few reasons, but the big ones are that travel time is your biggest time killer and drive-by assigning tasks to the minimum number of Pikmin lets you minimize the time and distance you as the captain have to move around, that it's more efficient to grow your Pikmin army by having several corpses and pikmin plucking activities happen at once, and that you suffer way more Pikmin-seconds of downtime from your whole army waiting around a few seconds than you do from 7 pikmin completing a task and waiting around a half minute while you're off keeping your Pikmin focused on other tasks.

Yeah with the timed dandori getting more Pikmin is like priority #1. Also clearing any walls or obstructions is really important. The thing I've found is that Oatchi is extremely OP in this mode. In general do NOT ride him (unless you need to get across water with your pikmin or something like that). Get used to using his command menu (I mapped it to left d-pad for quick access). You can have him pick up stray pikmin for you or come to you if he's far or whatever. He's also GREAT for fighting things because it's nearly impossible to actually kill him if he's got enough upgrades and he does a bunch of damage (he absolutely decimates the smaller enemies especially). Sometimes I'll sic him on an enemy solo while I go do something else with my Pikmin and then he automatically comes to me once he kills it. He can also haul a ton if you give him the carry upgrades so stuff like really heavy treasures that are maybe underwater or in an otherwise dangerous area he can handle no problem without having to worry about organizing your specific pikmin types or using, say, 20 pikmin to carry one item.

And yeah, using the Rush command to just say "go get that thing" is helpful. The right number of Pikmin will latch on and then the rest will come back to you. The nugget piles do tend to be the most tedious so you definitely want to strategize when you tackle these. For example, if there's a LOT of nuggets you wanna get on that really early if you can. If there's a big distance (that can't be mitigated by opening up new pathways) you want to get on that early. If it's a level with ice pikmin don't be afraid to use them to freeze water. That's extremely helpful for saving time carrying certain treasures. Just be mindful you collect them after you've gotten all the stuff on that "pathway."

The Bingo Battle Vs. Dandori honestly the splitscreen never bothered me but I'm sure that's one of those things that's just different for different people. My strategy there is usually trying to build Pikmin numbers as much as possible and trying to steal stuff the enemy leafling guy is going for. The little gacha capsules are also really good.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Later in the game Dandori battles introduce things where it’s very useful to keep an eye on the AI.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Spoiled for early game Onions.
    As I get Blue Pikmin before Oatchi can swim.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Looks like you need to drown Oatchi to get him to swim.

Basically cleared the first area (97%) before wondering why my son had the skill but I didn't yet.

discrider on
  • Options
    Wait, the post-first-credits content is amazing
    An entire micro remake of Pikmin 1???

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Here is a nice Japanese commercial.
    https://youtu.be/6T8weOXndtc

• Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I entered the Kingdom of Beasts with 40 red pikmin. I left with...two. And that's after finding ten more inside. At least we cleared it! Your extremely preventable sacrifices were not completely in vain.

Yeah, I may have rewound that last floor a couple of times.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently calling a peach a "Mock Bottom" is the funniest thing my kids have ever heard. Until they discovered the Japanese Plum called a "Lesser Mock Bottom".

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I don't really like tower defense type games so I was worried that I was really going to hate the night missions, but they're not bad. I've only done 1 and 2 difficulty and they were short and sweet. I also like that you can get Dingo to do any mission for you if you fail. That means if I suck and don't feel up to getting gud, I can still complete them.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Ah, is that Dingo's thing.
    I did wonder.

I'm also going to be amused when the Rescue Corps just leaves lost kids on this planet.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Lol
    Rescue Corps are off the planet so fast that they not only ignore the lost kids, but also didn't even bother to cure a leaflet before they left.

I'm also real glad I left this watermelon until now.
    I've collected all the buff upgrades for Oatchi, so I think Olimar decided to teach Oatchi Swallow.
    Where Oatchi is going to eat an entire watermelon

discrider on
  • Options
    Beat and 100% the game. Very, very solid, would absolutely play more of this. My only major disappointments are that the game felt a little too anchored by previous Pikmin nostalgia, and that also became a bit of a rough combo when so many old enemies or puzzle designs are trivialized by Oatchi packing your Pikmin together, being an ultra bitter spray on demand, and clearing most obstacles singlehandedly.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Did they reboot the Pikmin story or is this a true sequel?

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Did they reboot the Pikmin story or is this a true sequel?

It’s confusing. I wouldn’t think too much about it. Nintendo clearly hasn’t.

I think:
    It slightly retcons Pikmin 1 but mostly fits with it, references Pikmin 2 as a dream, and then entirely alternate universes 3 by having analogous looking characters who are clearly not the same people.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Nintendo is gaslighting us.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2023
    Zelda fans like yessssss join us in the sweet sufferinggggggg

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It's best to just enjoy Nintendo games in isolation and not try to put them together or dig into The Lore, because they never operate at the same wavelength as the people who enjoy diving deep into canon or secret connections between games.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Having hit Pikmin 4 credits, I don't think it's even internally consistent.
    Olimar had always been abandoning the Pikmin once the adventure is over, I don't get why he wouldn't do the same to Moss.
    Aside Moss is a dog so clearly that will overcome Olimar's psychopathic tenancies

Frankly it would make more sense if Olimar had managed to escape at the beginning of Pikmin 4.
    Moss would have been an excellent stand-in for Olimar to help the Pikmin, and he's apparently native too..

Or at least, I don't think Moss came with Olimar?
    The opening showed Olimar finding Moss on the planet...

discrider on
  • Options
    Disc, pretty sure you missed a line or three.
    Olimar explicitly notes Moss stowed away and then got ill while being flown out, thats why he returned.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yeah, definitely missed the first bit.

In my defence that entire cutscene was absurdist humour at that point, which may have made it hard to focus.

My interpretation of events:
    Captain: The Pikmin are saying goodbye.
    We should say goodbye to them.

Pilot:COPY that.

*Pilot drifts the spaceship across the sky, leaving smoke trail reading So LONG pipsqueaks*

Cutscene cuts to terrified kids still on the planet, crying, next to unconscious leaflet and happy Pikmin

discrider on
  • Options
    I've 100%'d all the areas and finally finished up
    the Olimar missions this weekend. Which seems to have opened a new set of challenges (it might have just been tied to the Olimar missions, I'm not sure). Damn are these hard to platinum! I've gotten through five (I think? Whatever one awards you the white onion) so far, restarting if my rank dropped to gold :3 I think this mode wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't a perfectionist but damn you I am going to platinum every damn one of them!!! It's fun tho :3

As a side note, I do hope Nintendo releases some DLC for this game, maybe just free stuff. I feel like they could add a ton of challenge missions across the two dandori modes. I would play that. I've been having a ton of fun with the game.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Since I can't play normal co-op with my daughter in Pikmin 4, I help out by providing custom voices for all the Rescue Corp crew. I decided to record a video so you can all join in on our fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRPIVE0MPs

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've only played Pikmin 3, so I figured I'd play Pikmin 1 for the first time ever before I move on.
    Is there really no way to select what pikmin you throw, or am I being extremely stupid? Olimar said something about pressing R, but it didn't seem to do anything I could see. Mass spamming A isn't really an option when you toss 20 pikmin then 1 with a bomb.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I've only played Pikmin 3, so I figured I'd play Pikmin 1 for the first time ever before I move on.
    Is there really no way to select what pikmin you throw, or am I being extremely stupid? Olimar said something about pressing R, but it didn't seem to do anything I could see. Mass spamming A isn't really an option when you toss 20 pikmin then 1 with a bomb.

Google says (via an IGN wiki) press R while Holding A.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/pikmin/Beginner's_Guide

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Man.
    Unlocked the Pikmin 1 music in Pikmin 4 and it's just so good.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

Google says (via an IGN wiki) press R while Holding A.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/pikmin/Beginner's_Guide

Yeah it's very un-intuitive. This is even an addition to the game for the Wii port - it used to have no way. You had to dismiss all your pikmin to grab the color you wanted.