Options

[youTube] Three shalt be the number thou shalt count

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Oh, sure, people talk all the time about how Cao Cao murdered his uncle's entire household over a silly misunderstanding, but hardly anyone ever mentions Liu Bei's cannibalism.

And with that TOTP out of the way, here's Some More News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Z3UXLZMDo

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    By popular demand today's video is Subnautica. I forgot just how amazing the art direction is. Even being 10 years old, it looks like it could have come out yesterday. I'm trying a new release time of around noon because I hardly got any views before noon anyway.

https://youtu.be/NzgQpWP_Sug

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Oh, sure, people talk all the time about how Cao Cao murdered his uncle's entire household over a silly misunderstanding, but hardly anyone ever mentions Liu Bei's cannibalism.

And with that TOTP out of the way, here's Some More News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Z3UXLZMDo

Doomsday scenarios reminding me of those stories of common space lanes being flooded with drones trapped in an endless holy war.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's a simple pleasure, but i do delight in going down the list of Hot Twinks in Dynasty Warriors and checking which ones were actually Old Man

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    Diarmuid on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Hah ha, Fabio. I remember him.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've currently got a patron ordering all the old Fabio novels through ILL. The Youth who infest my reference desk didn't know who he was, and it was harder to explain than I'd have expected.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fabio, the original buttery male

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    The himbo of yesteryear

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Remember that time he got smacked in the face with a goose while on a roller coaster.

...that might be the only thing I know about Fabio.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I didn't even know the goose thing, I just vaguely remember the name being referenced elsewhere occasionally in the late 90s or early 00s, maybe? never knew who that was until now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    It is frustrating that I live literally down the street from Busch Gardens but haven't been able to ride Apollo's Chariot in years for myriad reasons.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    And if you were wondering: yes. Locals talk about Fabio getting his nose broken by a goose frequently.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    this video is like 25% interesting information, 74% Sakurai flexing his game collection and custom console cabinet/HDMI Switcher setup, and 1% extremely important information at the 8:20 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpttuaYiPI

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    for you, the day fabio came to your village was the most important day of your life

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    for you, the day fabio came to your village was the most important day of your life

For him, it was an embarrassing and painful experience. So, you know.. Tuesday.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options

less most important, more funniest

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Having not played the game yet, so I don't know the full context of the scene, but... the original line feels better? More evocative?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah the literal translation sucks, as literal translations often do

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    yeah the literal translation sucks, as literal translations often do

Early in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part Five there's a pretty memetic scene

E7-2FGXWUAQbn5e.jpg

The dub had the decency to spruce it up slightly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExZgVMdYkg

Translators shouldn't be afraid of using a little poetry. How else do you get Son of a Submariner?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    It’s even worse with context, the steel sky thing is a reference to her finding the sky in general intimidating because she grew up under the midgar plate. The change means it goes from her missing the security of the past with a nice metaphor and call back, to her worrying about the future weather in a clumsy dull metaphor that feels odd for her

Just pointlessly bad I wonder why they would change it

Prohass on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Is this like when Kojima discovered that the MGS translators weren't literal and got mad about it?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Io0yuH1CiA0?si=4ppog1lQzvIsDfpv

Still bankrupt the Sackler family to indenture with how they profited of this

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    man what would it be like if billionaires had to fear possible consequences

like, sure, Bernie wants a 100% billionaire tax. And the death penalty should be abolished. But what if we had the death penalty just for billionaires. Like as soon as you hit the $1b mark, it's like "congrats, you have accumulated enough worldly influence that you have the capacity to fuck up people's lives enough for society to just murder you."

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s even worse with context, the steel sky thing is a reference to her finding the sky in general intimidating because she grew up under the midgar plate. The change means it goes from her missing the security of the past with a nice metaphor and call back, to her worrying about the future weather in a clumsy dull metaphor that feels odd for her

Just pointlessly bad I wonder why they would change it

rebirth spoilers
    I feel like the line is meant to have double meaning, considering what we know is in the sky at the end of rebirth. my assumption is that she's seen it that way the whole time.

not necessarily better, but I do think there's a point to it

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Oh, this is an excellent video.
    Really liked the swerve it took halfway in.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Yeah, without going into spoilers, the translation team made a choice years ago not to do a literal translation, but now with Rebirth plot wise the literal line makes better sense.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Okay, if you start watching 9 episodes of 3 kingdoms 2010 in a span of days, your brain will start looking at.......

I know my the guy in the video didnt make promises under peach trees, and arent chasing after wild boars riding red hare, and that is just a pick axe he is holding, but i think i need a break

Sun Jian was an interesting character

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 16
    Yeah, without going into spoilers, the translation team made a choice years ago not to do a literal translation, but now with Rebirth plot wise the literal line makes better sense.

I mean, it makes sense in one context but the original line made sense in a different, equally valid context, sounded a lot better, and was more relevant to what was actually happening in the story

changing it to what it is now isn't some big mind-blowing reveal, it feels like a Lucas-style retcon that doesn't really add anything interesting

it's a small thing but it still took them time and effort to make it worse

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

I mean, it makes sense in one context but the original line made sense in a different, equally valid context, sounded a lot better, and was more relevant to what was actually happening in the story

changing it to what it is now isn't some big mind-blowing reveal, it feels like a Lucas-style retcon that doesn't really add anything interesting

Is it really a Lucas-style retcon if it was that way all along in the original text, but it was just a detail that got erased in localization?

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »

Is it really a Lucas-style retcon if it was that way all along in the original text, but it was just a detail that got erased in localization?

Sure the literal text was there all along, but I don't think it's obvious that it was intended to be foreshadowing from the beginning, rather than the devs realizing while working on Rebirth that "oh hey this line could have also meant this new thing we just decided on!" The Japanese is vague enough that it could go either way so they didn't need to change it, but obviously the English makes more of a concrete statement

it's just a clunky way to handle it all around, with no meaningful benefit (imo of course)

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular

I will warn that in my experience a lot of gamergate style folks watch this channel and channels like it to get mad about stuff like "vagina bones" and whatnot, so if you leave videos from it in your view history YT will start to recommend you videos from those types of people.