As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name all the [chat] genres

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ok just watched a three person FaceTime call with personas and while it was jarring at first, after a few minutes the jank kind of fades away and the core tech is absolutely wild.

FaceTime might be the killer app of the Vision Pro at launch. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Don’t think it’s worth 3500 bucks but what a fucking great demonstration of what is possible.

It's interesting for sure, but it's also really not quite there. The people look so weird. They look like the people equivalent of those weird google maps 3D scans of neighborhoods where everything is shrinkwrapped flat and a little squished, and stuff that's supposed to move does not.

I am very impressed by how easy the setup process is but the end result is real creepy to normal people not willing to forgive the jank.

What is the upside compared to a video call

sig.gif
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    additional chat topic options:

- horny
    - fast food
    - my job, why does it suck
    - what is the best star war
    - gay candles
    - arch what is this bug
    - fuck these shitass streaming services
    - g o o n i n g

cummies

surely this falls under the broad category of gooning although you are right that cummies should be the overarching category with gooning as a subset

I mean isn't the point of gooning to not have cummies?

So it is more like a confounder than a subset. Though I guess it goes gooning->gooning->not gooning->cummies->Oh god I am going to go take a shower now.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Vuvuzuela
    Ok just watched a three person FaceTime call with personas and while it was jarring at first, after a few minutes the jank kind of fades away and the core tech is absolutely wild.

FaceTime might be the killer app of the Vision Pro at launch. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Don’t think it’s worth 3500 bucks but what a fucking great demonstration of what is possible.

It's interesting for sure, but it's also really not quite there. The people look so weird. They look like the people equivalent of those weird google maps 3D scans of neighborhoods where everything is shrinkwrapped flat and a little squished, and stuff that's supposed to move does not.

I am very impressed by how easy the setup process is but the end result is real creepy to normal people not willing to forgive the jank.

You get to use the $3500 headset even more

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Needs provision for mods so you can have like

One eyebrow that isn't properly attached and rubber bands around according to different physics settings

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Video games
    Acceptable genres of metal:

Iron
    Aluminum
    Zinc
    Cobalt
    Platinum

Unnacceptable genres of metal:

Zinc (aren't you a vitamin?)
    Lead (sorry you got cancelled)
    Titanium (grossly overrated)
    Brass (you know what you did)

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Sometimes your lower jaw just rotates 360 degrees about it's hinge axis

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Bad music
    Its just like flooringly embarassing nobody has a VR Palworld

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Furries are going to reverse engineer the Vision Pro persona format and have a field day with its cutting edge face rig and eye tracking and Apple is going to throw such a tantrum about it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Bad music
    Cmon Apple, make fuckable pokemon

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Sometimes your lower jaw just rotates 360 degrees about it's hinge axis

Person turns around but you just know their eyeballs are looking straight at you no matter what

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    All tech companies should have a minimum staffing level of trans people, furries, and trans furries. Then we'll see some cool shit.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Bad music
    The site owners have a strict definition of what metal is. This site will only accept bands that they deem to be "metal enough", AND you must provide compelling evidence that the band you submit is indeed metal (this usually means sound samples). Disagreements about "metalness" will inevitably occur, but it's up to the site staff to draw the line. You are free to have a different opinion, but if you want your band submission to be accepted, read on.

We do NOT accept the following (this is our decision, please don't argue this):

So they accept one band, and that is "metal"

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Never heard of them either Echo but those tracks were pretty decent. I think I'm hitting over-saturation at this point though cause things are starting to sound same-y.

I think I'll go do some chores then come back and see where the convo has gone!

Thanks to all for the tracks/suggestions/etc. Been a nice way to kill however long it's been!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Eye contact is natural and done spatially. The various participants can clearly see who is talking to who to because it renders them turning towards and facing each other.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Vuvuzuela
    mexi8u43cbjn.png

We have iJustine at home

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    One thing I like about cinephilia is that it really isn't that concerned with genrefication in the way that music is. All that stuff seems exhausting.

• Options
    It's interesting how much better the Vision Pro is than other VR headsets that have come before it, but it's also clear that it's struggling to accomplish what it does, and forgetting affordability even, it's going to be a real slog to turn this into platform people will want to use.

• Options
    ngl I get a very BE NOT AFRAID vibe from those

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 1
    Vuvuzuela
    JPants wrote: »
    Never heard of them either Echo but those tracks were pretty decent. I think I'm hitting over-saturation at this point though cause things are starting to sound same-y.

I think I'll go do some chores then come back and see where the convo has gone!

Thanks to all for the tracks/suggestions/etc. Been a nice way to kill however long it's been!

Yeah, eventually you have to turn into something harder for a palette-cleanser. Even the best of Futurepop is still going to be some monotonic thumbhead with daddy issues and a weird glint in his eye when he thinks about Rome going on about blimps with a beat behind him as often as not.

But if you particularly liked the stuff on Empires, VNV Nation's newest, Electric Sky, is a pivot back towards heavier stuff throughout a lot of the album, and not bad. It just doesn't touch When Is the Future imo.

E: Oh, Assemblage 23 is still going, too, and pretty decent / still with some bite:

https://youtu.be/03iCG0AuDHA?si=chWqTNp4OMgHmcVE

Auralynx on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Video games
    mexi8u43cbjn.png

We have iJustine at home

Expecting a little cutout to appear and for their mouths to move while saying really dumb shit like a Conan bit.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited February 1
    They have to put that ghostly frosted look on the avatars because it's the only way to really hide how weird and imprecise and incomplete they are. They don't have a back to their heads for example!

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I've seen dating profiles with less instagram filtering.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Video games
    All tech companies should have a minimum staffing level of trans people, furries, and trans furries. Then we'll see some cool shit.

But you repeat yourself :tongue:

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    They're trying so hard and it's genuinely extremely impressive but it's also pretty clear it's not good enough

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    attktm60dlzq.png

• Options
    edited February 1
    Bad music
    Good enough for what

Like I have no idea what they arent achieving that would make this a good buy at $3500

Tumin on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    high on skelles

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Elton John
    And I’m gonna be hiiiIIIIIiighh as a kite by thennn

kld967mq5gse.jpeg

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Video games
    I have forty minutes before work and I don’t know what to eat

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    Good enough for what

To not creep out the other people on the video call for one

To be taken seriously in any context

• Options
    Bad music
    Good enough for what

To not creep out the other people on the video call for one

To be taken seriously in any context

I take you seriously and you have a bara kong face so I mean

• Options
    Bad music
    8k4468phbahs.png

• Options
    Bad music
    Good enough for what

Like I have no idea what they arent achieving that would make this a good buy at $3500

Good enough for throwing money at an Apple tech demo

• Options
    edited February 1
    Bad music
    I think monitor replacement and a mobile office is the killer use case and jank video doesnt dissuade me from it being...sufficient...

Reading text on quest sucks butt so if theyve solved that

Tumin on
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Vuvuzuela
    READ IT WRONG!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Bad music
    Where is the Teams option

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chanus
    Acceptable genres of metal:

Iron
    Aluminum
    Zinc
    Cobalt
    Platinum

Unnacceptable genres of metal:

Zinc (aren't you a vitamin?)
    Lead (sorry you got cancelled)
    Titanium (grossly overrated)
    Brass (you know what you did)

i see you excluding these transition metals

trans-exclusionary radical metalist

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Bad music
    I'm frankly shocked at how many are reported to have been sold given the price, but I guess that's the power of the Apple Reality Distortion Field

I'm more interested in what comes after gen 1, because it still sounds firmly in the "solution looking for a problem" category if it's not for gaming

• Options
    Bad music
    Neco wrote: »
    Where is the Teams option

vq6qyckq4war.jpg

• Options
    Vuvuzuela
    I think monitor replacement and a mobile office is the killer use case and jank video doesnt dissuade me from it being...sufficient...

Reading text on quest sucks butt so if theyve solved that

Considering most places spend $150 on monitors in bulk, $3500 per isn't really a killer anything.

If anything, it just proves VR is primarily a novelty for people with money to burn.

This discussion has been closed.