Options

Name all the [chat] genres

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Ohh man VNV Nation that takes me back.

On a more upbeat tone, found this(not sure if it was here or just algorithm'd to me), but I've enjoyed it the last couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqKMaNVUt8A

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Vuvuzuela
    Echo wrote: »
    Sometimes I just want some rhytmic noise, or whatever you'd file Rhys Fulber's more recent stuff under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiuK62mGMlw

i'm not a person to give new to me music a try.

i tend to stick with what i know, unless it's some random atmospheric 'relaxation watch teh fishes swim in the tank' type stuff.

but this.

this is good. i could work to this.

what 'genre' would this be called? so i can try and find more?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Turns out enough eye relief to allow for glasses means compromises elsewhere, and optics that will adapt to both near and farsightness are hard, and forget about astigmatism

Oh I have no doubt it's hard and that's why they're not doing it.

But i don't think you can just ignore that hurdle, there needs to be some solution other than buying custom lenses for your already expense device.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    My biggest issue with A/VR is nobody is taking glasses wearers seriously.

"Just order these prescription inserts" how about you just fuck off.

Basically until a system can either accommodate being worn over glasses or can include enough manual focus adjust for me to not need my glasses* it's a no sale.

*I think this only applies to VR systems since there's a screen at a fixed distance vs

I'm not sure this is a possible ask optically speaking. If it was, you wouldn't have that huge phoropter on the boom arm at the eye doctor's office

xukvzb5gc3do.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Bad music
    Turns out enough eye relief to allow for glasses means compromises elsewhere, and optics that will adapt to both near and farsightness are hard, and forget about astigmatism

But i don't think you can just ignore that hurdle, there needs to be some solution other than buying custom lenses for your already expense device.

What about a lasik at home.kit for

uhhh

$5......0?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

And The Vision Pro made it about as simple as it possibly could; the inserts come in a box with a QR code, magnetically attach and remove quickly, and the QR code tells the vision pro what your prescription is so it accommodates the inserts.

Take them out and it walks back to normal vision. So sharing the headset with someone isn't an absolute nightmare at least.

And at 100-150 bucks for the inserts, it is a rounding error in the overall price of this beast.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    We have a device that is tunable universal eyeglasses and it weight 50 pounds and costs $3000

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Video games
    Auralynx wrote: »
    something something merzbow

I know Merzbow only from a feat. listing on a Seeming track on SOL: A Self-Banishment Ritual, but would be interested to know more.

Also, Echo, the Rhys Fulber is putting me in mind of iVardensphere in an odd way, and that's not a bad thing at all.

(I only mention him only because Echo mentioned rhythmic noise and that’s exactly my impression of him.)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Vuvuzuela

Basically until a system can either accommodate being worn over glasses or can include enough manual focus adjust for me to not need my glasses* it's a no sale.

*I think this only applies to VR systems since there's a screen at a fixed distance vs

I'm not sure this is a possible ask optically speaking. If it was, you wouldn't have that huge phoropter on the boom arm at the eye doctor's office

xukvzb5gc3do.jpg

to be fair those don't need to be miniaturized at all since it would just make them worse but

yeah I'm not so sure it's just a secondary issue to fix whenever

if they do it, much better tech than the actual vr glasses shit

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i don't think we're close enough to the extremely hard problems for it to be fair to say they're being ignored

the shit barely works in normal mode

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    Vuvuzuela
    syndalis wrote: »

And The Vision Pro made it about as simple as it possibly could; the inserts come in a box with a QR code, magnetically attach and remove quickly, and the QR code tells the vision pro what your prescription is so it accommodates the inserts.

Take them out and it walks back to normal vision. So sharing the headset with someone isn't an absolute nightmare at least.

And at 100-150 bucks for the inserts, it is a rounding error in the overall price of this beast.

Apple is so good at this one trick.

Make the rest of the thing $texas so they can charge $smallertexas for things that cost pennies to make.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 1

Make the rest of the thing $texas so they can charge $smallertexas for things that cost pennies.

In this one case I don't think they have loaded a ton of margin on it.

There are two incredibly tiny, pixel-dense 4K micro-LED displays running off of effectively a macbook air with so many high resolution sensors...

I don't think they are ripping people off; I think the tech isn't really capable of being produced at a price right now that will achieve any kind of serious market penetration.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Bad music

Make the rest of the thing $texas so they can charge $smallertexas for things that cost pennies to make.

That one is on Luxotica

• Options
    Video games
    Intentionally dumb question: is Primus a band for people whose favorite movie is Primer

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Chanus

Eh. I got prescription inserts, and they were a game changer. They were really easy to install (pops right in), and only $40.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Correctly ground eyeglass lenses don't cost pennies and there are laws around their manufacture to prevent harm.

I've also deeply regretted any time I've spent less than $70 on them. You get horrible, headache inducing optics.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Video games
    Feral wrote: »

trans-exclusionary radical metalist

I thought there was some kind of phrase or acronym for this, but I can't remember the term.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Intentionally dumb question: is Primus a band for people whose favorite movie is Primer

yes

• Options
    Bad music

Make the rest of the thing $texas so they can charge $smallertexas for things that cost pennies.

There are two incredibly tiny, pixel-dense 4K micro-LED displays running off of effectively a macbook air with so many high resolution sensors...

I don't think they are ripping people off; I think the tech isn't really capable of being produced at a price right now that will achieve any kind of serious market penetration.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to the teardown. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re breaking even or something.

High profit? Skeptical.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Sometimes I just want some rhytmic noise, or whatever you'd file Rhys Fulber's more recent stuff under.

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=GiuK62mGMlw

i'm not a person to give new to me music a try.

i tend to stick with what i know, unless it's some random atmospheric 'relaxation watch teh fishes swim in the tank' type stuff.

but this.

this is good. i could work to this.

what 'genre' would this be called? so i can try and find more?

I tend to call it "rhythmic noise", but that can also be a pretty broad spectrum, and generally tends to be more aggressive. But Rhys Fulber strikes a really good balance.

iVardensphere that was just mentioned has some stuff along those lines, but they also do a really wide range. This is kinda "tribal", or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4AUwAzvi8Q

Rhys Fulber apparently had some tracks in Cyberpunk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7VUznaWpXQ

• Options
    Vuvuzuela
    Correctly ground eyeglass lenses don't cost pennies and there are laws around their manufacture to prevent harm.

I've also deeply regretted any time I've spent less than $70 on them. You get horrible, headache inducing optics.

I am slowly inching my way off of the spectrum of the glasses rack at the airport level of prescription

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chanus
    Feral wrote: »

trans-exclusionary radical metalist

I thought there was some kind of phrase or acronym for this, but I can't remember the term.

9aqenjpbko4i.gif

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    i think for the most part it absolutely could be solved by having wear-over-your-glasses versions, that are presumedly larger than the regular ones you see in the ad copy

look I'm a white cisman and the only disability i have is this so when someone me they need an extra $150 to accommodate me it's Serious Business

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Chanus

I'm still upset at Shane Carruth

fucking had to go ruin two of my favorite movies by being shane carruth

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Vuvuzuela
    I have regretted every time I have spent more than $70 on glasses because it has guaranteed that I will sit on them within a month

meanwhile, the glasses I'm wearing right now? £10 at heathrow ten years ago. They're immortal. Immortal plastic piece of shit.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Yeah, I’m looking forward to the teardown. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re breaking even or something.

High profit? Skeptical.

I am guessing there is ~1000 dollars of "profit" on each headset sold - headsets they have been spending an ungodly amount of time (years and years) researching, developing, prototyping, testing...

There is zero chance they make a dime off of this initiative for a few generations.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Bad music
    fwiw John Carmack complained about his experience with wearing glasses in VR headsets for years as Oculus CTO or whatever and never got anywhere so like

Eh

Id like to see a standard for inserts, or at the very fucking least, the ones for this device made compatible with the next Apple headset (if they do another). But thats about it.

Tumin on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Bad music
    The weather is starting to get nicer and it is definitely pulling me out of my funk.

I just opened the windows today when it was 50 and had a nice cross breeze. The house smells good, and I have chili cheese tots for dinner.

A+

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Vuvuzuela
    JRX I read that whole thing and I think the only thing I didn't nod in agreement with was Slipknot as nu-metal

I feel like Nu-Metal was rapping, right? So early Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit?

I get excluding Slipknot from metal Canon but I don't know what to call them

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Video games
    I have never sat on my glasses, though that might be because my vision is so bad that I always have them on my face

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Elton John
    I listened to one of the first waypoint radios today which is approaching 8 years old. They were talking about vr then too.

I don’t think vr is where it’s at. The people who care already have some type of it. Vision aids for surgery and rocket scientists can cost however much they want. A laptop screen is good enough for billions of people. Ain’t nobody going to sit in vr for general office work. Ain’t -barely- anyone even going to sit in vr for games.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Vuvuzuela
    I have never sat on my glasses, though that might be because my vision is so bad that I always have them on my face

I wake up after naps going the fuck am I lying on oh my glasses

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Bad music
    Honk wrote: »
    I listened to one of the first waypoint radios today which is approaching 8 years old. They were talking about vr then too.

I don’t think vr is where it’s at. The people who care already have some type of it. Vision aids for surgery and rocket scientists can cost however much they want. A laptop screen is good enough for billions of people. Ain’t nobody going to sit in vr for general office work. Ain’t -barely- anyone even going to sit in vr for games.

Yeah but the porn honk, the porn

• Options
    edited February 1
    Bad music
    I am guessing there is ~1000 dollars of "profit" on each headset sold - headsets they have been spending an ungodly amount of time (years and years) researching, developing, prototyping, testing...

There is zero chance they make a dime off of this initiative for a few generations.

I wouldn't be surprised if even that isn't true

I agree with the rest of the sentiment. Based on the whispers that have been coming out for years I bet they've sunk a few billion into the venture. Maybe more.

Orca on
  • Options
    the latest Palworld patch was a good one

i've been playing for over an hour and not once has one of my idiot base pals pathed itself into a spot it couldn't get out of

• Options
    Vuvuzuela
    Tumin wrote: »

Yeah but the porn honk, the porn

porn is meant to be shared with everyone else on the train

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Vuvuzuela

I dunno man.

For $3500, getting nickel-and-dimed to death feels pretty shitty, especially when this one accessory opens your product up to an additional *checks notes* 4 billion people.

But Apples gotta Apple and getting a complete product for one price just isn't shit they do.

• Options
    Vuvuzuela
    Chanus wrote: »
    the latest Palworld patch was a good one

i've been playing for over an hour and not once has one of my idiot base pals pathed itself into a spot it couldn't get out of

oh man, for real?

I put pals into a medical coma to recover like every single time I visited, somebody always got fucked up

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

I stand by the belief that AR is the real killer app, not VR... and Apple did everything in their power to fake this VR headset into being an AR one and "mostly" succeeded, though passthrough video on opaque screens will never be quite the same as transparent glass and transparent displays.

Put headset on, open laptop, create a multi-display setup of your laptop and various Vision apps wherever you happen to be (coffee shop, airplane, etc). - the bulk of this thing and the form factor are fighting against it, but the promise is there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Vuvuzuela
    JRX I read that whole thing and I think the only thing I didn't nod in agreement with was Slipknot as nu-metal

I feel like Nu-Metal was rapping, right? So early Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit?

I get excluding Slipknot from metal Canon but I don't know what to call them

Numetal wasn't just rapping. It was also industrial, techo, and poppy metal. Spineshank, Hoobastank, Incubus, and Trust Company were all Numetal.

Slipknot definitely had rap influences, plus a ton of techno/jungle stuff in their beats.

This discussion has been closed.