Options

[Trump] Crime Thread Again, Because The Criming Never Stops.

MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
This thread is for discussion of the multitudes of Trump's personal criminal and civil trials. Of which there are many.

There's the big 4.
- The NY Election Financing trial, due to start soon. This is also known as the "hush money" trial, but I really don't like that as it minimizes what was done.
- The DC Election/Insurrection trial, should have started soon, but currently in limbo with SCOTUS possibly considering delaying the trial until after the election, if not giving the fucker immunity.
- The GA Election trial, should start soon, but is currently embroiled in bullshit because gotta slander the Fulton DA.
- The FL Documents trial, not gonna happen until after the election (and never, if he wins), because the judge is clearly compromised.

A good and running commentary of these four trials. Thanks to @cardboard delusions
https://www.politico.com/interactives/2023/trump-criminal-investigations-cases-tracker-list/

There's also several others that honestly, it's hard to keep track of.
- Something to do with a shitty Skype phone type thing.
- A civil case brought about by Capitol police officers.
- Lawsuit by partners of Truth Social, of him trying to screw them out of their share value (p10)
- Lawsuit AGAINST partners of Truth Social, because screwing people is his brand (p43)
- Trump v Clinton lawsuit fine (p11)
- Probably a half dozen others, you point them out, I'll add them here. :)

There's a separate thread for his sexual crimes.
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/227164/trump-found-to-have-committed-sexual-assault-by-ny-jury

And for his business specific crimes.
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240686/trump-org-s-business-is-criming-and-business-is-good

But those are often as much tied to him that it's not strictly against the thread topic, though if you can, talk about them there.

What the thread is not about, is the 2024 General Election, unless specifically related to those crimes. That includes his inane bullshit at rallies, that don't have anything to do with his crimes.

MorganV on

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This is the crime that never ends
    It just goes on and on my friends

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The Fall of the House of Trump; Or; Sneakers for Algernon.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Can a house really fall, if it was mired in shit from inception?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

Can a house really fall, if it was mired in shit from inception?

A house is only as strong as it's foundation.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So it was the last post in the last thread but regarding the shoes that trump has decided to sell to help raise money (and likely cover his legal bills)
    3002.jpg?width=465&dpr=1&s=none

I am not a shoe person. Hell, I'm not even an apparel person really so I don't know much about the trends in fashion or the sub cultures associated with it but like... Who the hell is going to look at these and think "yeah man, I gotta have shoes that can blind passing motorists and are associated with a moron." Also aren't high end sneakers like a status symbol for Inner city people, like the ones that turmp has treated like shit since like the 70's?

Christ I could make a pair of shoes like that by just buying a regular pair of sneakers and a spray can of gold paint.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Shoe collectors don't actually wear the shoes, from what I understand. They stick them on a shelf like a 40 year old's action figure collection. (I'm tagging myself in this sentence, don't worry)

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So it was the last post in the last thread but regarding the shoes that trump has decided to sell to help raise money (and likely cover his legal bills)

I am not a shoe person. Hell, I'm not even an apparel person really so I don't know much about the trends in fashion or the sub cultures associated with it but like... Who the hell is going to look at these and think "yeah man, I gotta have shoes that can blind passing motorists and are associated with a moron." Also aren't high end sneakers like a status symbol for Inner city people, like the ones that turmp has treated like shit since like the 70's?

Christ I could make a pair of shoes like that by just buying a regular pair of sneakers and a spray can of gold paint.
    Former President Trump's high-top sneakers sold out hours after their launch Saturday at Sneaker Con in Philadelphia.

The shoes, called "The Never Surrender High-Top Sneaker," sell for $399. The pair, along with two low-top sneakers, and a $99 bottle of "Victory47" perfume and cologne were available for purchase on a new website.
    https://www.axios.com/2024/02/18/trump-sneakers-never-surrender-launch

There's too many of them out there sadly.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Former President Trump's high-top sneakers sold out hours after their launch Saturday at Sneaker Con in Philadelphia.

The shoes, called "The Never Surrender High-Top Sneaker," sell for $399. The pair, along with two low-top sneakers, and a $99 bottle of "Victory47" perfume and cologne were available for purchase on a new website.

How many of them do you figure were bought by actual people as opposed to by trump as some sort of ego move?

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I don't really think this is a new low for the guy, its not like he hasn't amended his brand to products of questionable quality before to make a quick buck (Steaks, 'School').

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Shoe collectors don't actually wear the shoes, from what I understand. They stick them on a shelf like a 40 year old's action figure collection. (I'm tagging myself in this sentence, don't worry)

You buy two pairs. One to rock, one to stock.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

How many of them do you figure were bought by actual people as opposed to by trump as some sort of ego move?

How many of them were bought as part of a money laundering thing?

• Options

Honestly, I don't think it's a PAC thing. There's a tens of millions of fucking morons willing to just throw money at Trump.

How many of them were bought by aficionados (ie, people who are normally the market for this), and how many are just MAGA chuds who don't give a fuck about the hobby/pastime*, and it's just an offering to their golden clod?
    * Hey, I'm not gonna hobbyshame. I'm a board/card gamer, and I regularly spend more than $400 on gaming. I don't get memorabilia hobbies, but they've been around forever (stamps, coins), and the medium isn't really something that should be spoken differently of.

Because I figure it's the latter, along with speculators who figure they can immediately flip them to those same MAGA chuds. Can't see any EBays yet, but I figure it's a matter of time.

It's just one of those things that to me is absurd, because it's clearly JUST a branding thing. Like Trump and the vodka, anyone think Trump would actually wear a pair of high tops? You know, behind closed doors, he's almost certainly used a racist term when these were pitched.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

If I had to guess, you'll soon find these are part of MAGA church giveaways the same you find tickets to "Christian" movies. Or to sit in someone's storage locker the same you see certain conservative grifter books.

Like none of this could be legit.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    He even managed to sell NFTs after the NFT craze had passed. If nothing else, he knows his audience and that they will clamor to give him money for anything ( or for NFTS, nothing). A shoe is at least a physical object so I guess that's something.

Waiting for the inevitable 'wtf I paid 400 for these and they literally fell apart while wearing them" or 'they stained my feet gold', etc

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    He even managed to sell NFTs after the NFT craze had passed. If nothing else, he knows his audience and that they will clamor to give him money for anything ( or for NFTS, nothing). A shoe is at least a physical object so I guess that's something.

Waiting for the inevitable 'wtf I paid 400 for these and they literally fell apart while wearing them" or 'they stained my feet gold', etc

This is literally what he has been doing his entire life. Before he was an authoritarian trying to take over the US, he was just a rich dipshit using his name to sell shitty merchandise to make a buck.

• Options
    edited February 18

This is literally what he has been doing his entire life. Before he was an authoritarian trying to take over the US, he was just a rich dipshit using his name to sell shitty merchandise to make a buck.

Greatest trick this asshole ever pulled, was convincing a NY media that his success was both earned and deserved.

Was listening to some news shows recently that aired interviews with him a half decade century ago, and "puff piece" doesn't do them justice. They're journalistic blowjobs. It was fucking creepy.

EDIT - It was shit from the late 70's. I dunno what the fuck I was thinking when I wrote half decade.

MorganV on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think it’s new and weird that he bothered to turn up personally for this promo. He hasn’t done that in a while

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I think it’s new and weird that he bothered to turn up personally for this promo. He hasn’t done that in a while

He really needs the money now, and the cult of personality needs the personality to prey on them most effectively

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He really needs the money now, and the cult of personality needs the personality to prey on them most effectively

While that’s true he’s super lazy. He must really need day to day money if he’s turning up for this kind of event.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I think the thing here is that it was a surprise Trump was being forced onto this particular events denizens, as opposed to him just holding a rally - as I understand it, the rallies aren't as popular as they used to be (I imagine they also suffer from a grifter problem: the best way to make a quick buck is import some Trump-merch from China, and sell it at rallies - where you don't send any of the proceeds to him).

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I have a couple of "shoe friends" and yeah they buy shoes they never wear to put them in their house. One of them has an entire room dedicated to shoes. Probably thousands of them in there. They agree that these Trump ones are gaudy but they'd also buy them if they had enough time to get them.

It's a group that I really don't understand.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I have a couple of "shoe friends" and yeah they buy shoes they never wear to put them in their house. One of them has an entire room dedicated to shoes. Probably thousands of them in there. They agree that these Trump ones are gaudy but they'd also buy them if they had enough time to get them.

another expression of the Collector's Urge, I think.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

I mean...I kind of get it? Like you want to have a big complete collection and a bunch of knowledge of the history of the things, so you can show people and then be like "this was released here, it was made this way, and sold by whoever, now if you look at the inside stitching what was actually going on is..."

Like this wouldn't be me for shoes, but it's appealing to be able to do that.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

You need to get more specific. Ask them to prioritize their "will buy" list and see where trump shoes fall on it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I can't imagine the venn diagram of "MAGA chuds" and "$400 sneaker enthusiasts" has much overlap

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I can't imagine the venn diagram of "MAGA chuds" and "$400 sneaker enthusiasts" has much overlap

Trump's biggest fans are uneducated dudes with significant incomes. Prototypically car dealers. They love stupid expensive shit.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

But the overlap with "suckers with money to burn" does. I still wonder how much of an impact his grift machine has had on the lottery in multiple red states.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I mean...I kind of get it? Like you want to have a big complete collection and a bunch of knowledge of the history of the things, so you can show people and then be like "this was released here, it was made this way, and sold by whoever, now if you look at the inside stitching what was actually going on is..."

Like this wouldn't be me for shoes, but it's appealing to be able to do that.

Not gonna lie, I was clearing out a ton of old posters once, and the guy who showed up to buy a few of them went on for like twenty minutes about the Costacos brothers who had made the posters.

People who get into a thing can get really into it and no matter how niche it might be hearing somebody who’s super passionate about something go off can be fascinating. Provided said thing is not a Nazi megalomaniac former President or adjacent to such.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Well, Trump does seem to be Assuming Direct Control, the RNC exists because he allows it, and will pay his legal bills because he demands it.

Also something about emergency induction ports, look it’s been a while since I last played Mass Effect 2.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The event was called sneaker con and Trump just took the name more literally than most of the other people there

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular

While that’s true he’s super lazy. He must really need day to day money if he’s turning up for this kind of event.

He's lazy, but he loves an excuse to go in front of a crowd if he thinks he might get a cheap pop out of it (admittedly this does backfire, but he's a mook so he'll keep doing it). And he seems to make the effort to go out to certain events to raise his appeal among certain demographics (like he does by going to UFC fights). He'll burn some calories if it appeals to his vanity and ambitions.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Well, Trump does seem to be Assuming Direct Control, the RNC exists because he allows it, and will pay his legal bills because he demands it.

Also something about emergency induction ports, look it’s been a while since I last played Mass Effect 2.

The fun part about that is that the RNC is in debt (apparently for the first time in years if not decades?), so good luck bolting Trump's legal bills onto that, especially when he tries to put them on the hook for the recent damages he got smacked with.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Played Persona 3 Reload all weekend so I’m just hearing the Tanaka Commodities theme in my head when I see those stupid fucking shoes.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Trump's biggest fans are uneducated dudes with significant incomes. Prototypically car dealers. They love stupid expensive shit.

I will admit I'm not above targeting that crowd if I have the opportunity. I once bought one of those Trump <3 Kim Jong Un 4ever coins(the 2018 N Korea peace talks coin) and resold it to some MAGA dude for double the price a few months after stock on the White House gift shop ran out. No ragrets, aside from I kind of wish I had the spare cash to do it more before the bottom fell out.

• Options
    What I wanna know is will he ever lose his plane (have you ever seen the rain popped into my head as I wrote this)

Like does he own that thing or pay for a 24/7 lease of it or something? I wanna see that fucker have to beg other rich people to fly private

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    lol at Maga truckers wanting to boycott New York over this, I guess?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Please try.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

I can't imagine that that goes over well for them.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    yc4gnxymcqho.jpg

Yeah I can see why they sold out immediately. People flipping them for 10x.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

I wonder how many actually will try this. If its anything like MAGA protests of the past, it will be one or two truckers refusing to deliver things to New York, their companies firing them and thats that.