Options

Can we go to the [Movie] thread and get cookout after?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I feel like starting with Rushmore is the right move. Bottle Rocket gets a lot of love around here but it's just okay in my opinion and Rushmore feels like a good "the shallow end" introduction to him.

That's not talking down to Rushmore at all, it's great.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Last time I asked about Wes Anderson films, I got about 18 different answers about where to start and that seems to have stayed consistent.

I watched the Royal Tenenbaums and thought it was fine. I like his aesthetic mostly but the content was uninteresting.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My advice for getting into Wes Anderson movies is to watch more than one before giving up. Not liking Bottle Rocket doesn’t mean you won’t like Grand Budapest Hotel for example.

But not liking Life Aquatic means you probably won’t like Royal Tenenbaums or whatever.

There’s groups you could separate his movies into that start off at the least Wes Anderson while going up to the MOST Wes Anderson

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    What the FUCK is this Unfrosted movie on Netflix?

Directed by Jerry Seinfeld….ewwww

2hleui62ekit.png

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Many years ago a friend gifted me Life Aquatic on DVD, and I never got around to watching it, because I'm a bad friend

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Many years ago a friend gifted me Life Aquatic on DVD, and I never got around to watching it, because I'm a bad friend

Its the one Wes Anderson movie that I like, but its 100% on the strenght of the cast.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If the thing you like about a Wes Anderson movie is the cast, have I ever got good news for you

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I have never actually seen a Wes Anderson film, and I'm okay with that.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Life Aquatic also has one of the alltime greatest movie soundtracks. And it's not even just the Bowie covers.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There's like maybe one Bowie cover ever that's better than the original, so I'd hope that's not the reason

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You’re talking about John C. Reilly’s cover of Starman, right?

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

Before the unpleasantness

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Coffee Table is out on Amazon VOD and uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Damn...

Saw a friend on social compare it to When Evil Lurks, and it's not anywhere near that relentless or bloody. But damn does it get dark, and damn does it linger in that darkness for over half the film successfully

Don't even know how to begin broaching talking about it outside of that or spoilers. Certainly don't know if I can even recommend it (definitely not to parents), this is the first time I'm wondering if I should give something a star rating on my Letterboxd or not

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Finishing up watching the McTiernan movies and I've got to do these at work because they're not streaming anywhere and my xbox is in my office so I just finished 13th Warrior and didn't really care for it at all. It's not that long, but it feels that way and a bit plodding and the action scenes are pretty lifeless which is weird because I know McTiernan knows how to direct good action.

I just started Rollerball and the first game starting with some POD and Paul Heyman commentary rules.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Rollerball makes The 13th Warrior look like a cinematic triumph.

Holy shit, McTiernan's Rollerball fuckin' suckssss

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    There's like maybe one Bowie cover ever that's better than the original, so I'd hope that's not the reason

I don't think any of Seu Jorge's covers are better, per se, but I like them enough to enjoy tossing them on from time to time

Ordinarily, I'm a big "Why bother with a derivative when the original is there" guy, but I have a mental carve out for, "Non-white artists covering white artists who ripped off a lot of non-white artists." Stuff like Angélique Kidjo's Remain in Light. I think the metatextual component adds enough extra to the music to "justify" diverting my focus in its direction, if that makes sense. Like, instead of the normal "is this better y/n" binary, I get to participate a little more actively in the listen - not just what changed or how, but why, what that why might mean. I dig that.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Rollerball makes The 13th Warrior look like cinematic triumph.

Holy shit, McTiernan's Rollerball fuckin' suckssss

So I'm in the first game still after Oz's teammate is injured and he tells the band to amp up because he's pissed and then it culminates in a bad looking flying dropkick to the dude's face and he's got a slightly bloody mouth has to be the most disappointing buildup. The music is so good at building the anticipating and then it does not live up to it. Also there are way too many people on the rollerball track at a time so it does not make any sense.

Also Chris Klein's introduction is the least I've ever liked a protagonist of a movie. Sorry the hockey coach wanted you to play some defense.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Last time I asked about Wes Anderson films, I got about 18 different answers about where to start and that seems to have stayed consistent.

I watched the Royal Tenenbaums and thought it was fine. I like his aesthetic mostly but the content was uninteresting.

Yeah, like, everyone in here recommending Rushmore and it's the only movie of his I absolutely cannot stand

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I enjoyed that pen advert, maybe I should just stop there and call it a successful run

• Options
    I enjoyed that pen advert, maybe I should just stop there and call it a successful run

Maybe move on to his American Express commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbO3BS0Uzm0

And if you're feeling spicy, check out his AT&T commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AtZbgmAr4

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The Coffee Table is out on Amazon VOD and uhhhhhhhhhhhh. Damn...

Saw a friend on social compare it to When Evil Lurks, and it's not anywhere near that relentless or bloody. But damn does it get dark, and damn does it linger in that darkness for over half the film successfully

Don't even know how to begin broaching talking about it outside of that or spoilers. Certainly don't know if I can even recommend it (definitely not to parents), this is the first time I'm wondering if I should give something a star rating on my Letterboxd or not

Well now I'm going crazy trying to find a full spoiler synopsis and I CANNOT find one and it's driving me crazy.

Wanna share the details? I get the general ideas but I want the specifics!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I don't think any of Seu Jorge's covers are better, per se, but I like them enough to enjoy tossing them on from time to time

Ordinarily, I'm a big "Why bother with a derivative when the original is there" guy, but I have a mental carve out for, "Non-white artists covering white artists who ripped off a lot of non-white artists." Stuff like Angélique Kidjo's Remain in Light. I think the metatextual component adds enough extra to the music to "justify" diverting my focus in its direction, if that makes sense. Like, instead of the normal "is this better y/n" binary, I get to participate a little more actively in the listen - not just what changed or how, but why, what that why might mean. I dig that.

That's extremely fair, and I get it. Personally I find the soundtrack of The Life Aquatic more jarring than anything, because those are all songs I know like the back of my hand. I also tend to be a bit... defensive, I guess, on the topic of Bowie covers specifically, as he's one of my longtime favorite artists and it's been a not infrequent event of someone trying to convince me that a cover of one of his songs is better than the original.

• Options
    OMG! They shot the entire sequence of Klein and LL Cool J trying to flee in grainy green night vision. It's terrible

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

If you're feeling festive, his H&M commercial is good too

https://youtu.be/aXLO2dFfwLE?si=Z2Wpb8ntsHXy2iTK

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    That AMEX commercial is the only thing of Andersons I've ever seen but I feel like after watching I get what he's trying to do if that makes any sense.

• Options
    I remembered Rollerball being a dumb fun movie, but I remembered correctly and it was not fun. They have Heyman explain the rules of the game and then immediately break them when the goal scoring happens and then after that it's not even close to following any rules. The action may be even more anemic than 13th Warrior, but at least here they have some breaking glass. Anytime they have Klein do a dropkick he's just straight out the whole time and doesn't do any actual kicking motion to give the move some dynamic energy. Basically a bunch of cool flips and stuff happen to people getting hit, but the game and the violence doesn't make sense or really have fun.

The movie is hindered by the fact that Chris Klein isn't very charismatic, although he's a good enough actor he just doesn't have presence. It doesn't help that Jean Reno and LL Cool J both really pop and he's always sharing screen time with them.

McTiernan has some real bombs here in the middle, but if my memory of Basic holds up that is a compelling movie.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I remembered Rollerball being a dumb fun movie, but I remembered correctly and it was not fun. They have Heyman explain the rules of the game and then immediately break them when the goal scoring happens and then after that it's not even close to following any rules. The action may be even more anemic than 13th Warrior, but at least here they have some breaking glass. Anytime they have Klein do a dropkick he's just straight out the whole time and doesn't do any actual kicking motion to give the move some dynamic energy. Basically a bunch of cool flips and stuff happen to people getting hit, but the game and the violence doesn't make sense or really have fun.

The movie is hindered by the fact that Chris Klein isn't very charismatic, although he's a good enough actor he just doesn't have presence. It doesn't help that Jean Reno and LL Cool J both really pop and he's always sharing screen time with them.

McTiernan has some real bombs here in the middle, but if my memory of Basic holds up that is a compelling movie.

In the Middle? It's basically a 45 degree decline from the last 5 minutes of Die Hard With A Vengence to Federal Prison.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    I'm fully expecting a full spreadsheet on all the Amityville movies once you are done.

More seriously though, have you encountered any.. if not good, at least entertaining ones so far?

Absolutely!

https://boxd.it/uxJTs

You can keep track through my Letterboxd list if you like.

so I've never actually used letterboxd before, just seen screenshots

how do I see your ratings

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    If you click on his name up near the top left you can look at his recent activity, which includes ratings and reviews.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

I haven't seen it in a very long time but my memory of Basic is that it makes no god damn sense at all, but John Travolta is having a lot of fun acting in a way counter to the entire nature of the story.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I fuckin' hated Wes Anderson for years.

See, I met this girl at forestry camp and through hundreds of hours of MSN Messenger chats she was pretty much my girlfriend. She was from Albuquerque. And my parents and grandparents were going to Albuquerque for a meeting of the New Mexico Hay Association and I asked if I could go along, so I could have a sexy big city adventure with my forestry camp internet girlfriend.

The adventure turned out to be lunch at Fuddruckers and then the two of us watching Bowfinger and Rushmore back to back in the Drury Inn while my stern German grandmother read a book in the kitchenette.

I was so baffled and frustrated and horny and angry the whole time that I came out of that weekend thinking that Rushmore was the worst movie ever made.

Fortunately, a few years later I went off to college and watched some other movies and became an insufferable Anderson stan right on schedule.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Hey, @Raijin Quickfoot I just lost. Do you have any Blanka smut handy?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    One of the first DVDs I ever bought was the Criterion Collection edition of Rushmore, which got me firmly planted in two annoying dipshit clubs with one swing.

• Options
    edited May 3
    Of course, I bought it because I knew Jason Schwartzman as the drummer from Phantom Planet, so I was already primed to be prettttttttty insufferable.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey Fuddruckers was good

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Of course, I bought it because I knew Jason Schwartzman as the drummer from Phantom Planet, so I was already primed to be prettttttttty insufferable.

better this than finding him through slackers tbh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Hey, @Raijin Quickfoot I just lost. Do you have any Blanka smut handy?

No…

>>
    <<

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "Press X to doubt."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

It is so fucking bad. There are all of these comedians (well, some are "comedians" I guess) and you just never laugh. The movie is honestly mindboggling.

I watched it a few months back during the Netflix preview thing and I just can't imagine who thought this movie was worth shooting. If it were so awful it's good or whatever maybe, but it's painful to watch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited May 3
    Man, I just went back and watched Little Giants, first time my kid has seen it. What a great fucking kids movie, really stands up to the test of time. Rick Moranis is a Canadian national treasure.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.