Options

Can we go to the [Movie] thread and get cookout after?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 6
    SirToasty wrote: »
    How does Paul Thomas Anderson fit into this?
    Alongside his gorgeous wife, as he does everywhere he goes
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Rundown got added to Hulu so of course I'm watching it.

Man, I wish we got more of this Rock.

He's still clearly built like an action star but still comes off like a somewhat regular guy.

He knows he's not the biggest badass in the room, he's still rough and tumble, shows fear.

Its great.

hes really never been better than he was in the rundown, its been a steady decline since that movie

Im not sure why but arnold sleeping with an employee and having a child with her rubs me wrong less than the Rocks pissing in bottles and handing them to subordinates

Prohass on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    How does Paul Thomas Anderson fit into this?
    Alongside his gorgeous wife, as he does everywhere he goes

(You are thinking of Paul W.S. Anderson - Maya Rudolph isn't in a ton of PTA's movies)

• Options
    Curses! Andersonnnn!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I’ve never met a Wes in real life. It’s one of those fancy Hollywood names

I met one once. A friend of mine told me "Wes is the most boring person I've ever met." For some reason I didn't really believe him, until I had lunch with Wes and his girlfriend, and was so aggressively bored that I considered faking a family emergency to escape.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I work with a Wes, he's a really nice guy!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ethan Hawke and his daughter hit up the Closet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxzCSz-4CIw

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Unfrosted is not the worst movie ever made. It was silly. I laughed. 7/10. Was never bored.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe!

Do you want to see Brian Cox and Emile Hirsch do a dead body themed escape room? You'll wanna check this one out!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 6
    This name stuff reminds me of the story that the only reason Bill Murray signed on to do the voice of Garfield is that he thought writer Joel Cohen was one of the Coen brothers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Basic also has the joke from Die Hard with a Vengeance where Hardy shows up on the job and says he was drinking this morning like when McClain says he hasn't drank since this morning.

Off to a good start.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This name stuff reminds me of the story that the only reason Bill Murray signed on to do the voice of Garfield is that he thought writer Joel Cohen was one of the Coen brothers.

Wasn't it also because Lorenzo Music did the voices for both Garfield and Venkman in the cartoons?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Wasn't it also because Lorenzo Music did the voices for both Garfield and Venkman in the cartoons?

No, that's just a fun coincidence.

• Options
    Basic is pretty good. Feels like McTiernan kind of does a best of with this movie, although doing it that way results in something that is less than the sum of its parts. It's got a bunch of misdirection like the Thomas Crown Affair, as well as the relationship between Travolta and Britton, jungle stuff like in Predator, Soldiers on a mission that's not really what it was sold as, and Hardy is definitely meant to be similar to McClane, but Travolta can't pull off that kind of character like Willis can.

Jackson cuts a great figure as a hardass drill Sargent with a half cape.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Autopsy of Jane Doe is super fun. Too bad Emilie Hirsch sucks because he’s a very good actor.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Ehrlich loved Furiosa hell yeah https://x.com/davidehrlich/status/1787656184490541561?s=46
    brings me great joy to report that Furiosa is really, *really* fucking good.

operates in an extremely different gear than Fury Road (in ways that i suspect will frustrate some people), but also manages to make that movie even richer while carving its own legend in the wasteland.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I haven't decided if I want to see Messengers or The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Behavior more, but I know one definitely has the crazier soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77gCmh5A1Q

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Watched Fido (2006) tonight.

Had a good time.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Im not sure why but arnold sleeping with an employee and having a child with her rubs me wrong less than the Rocks pissing in bottles and handing them to subordinates

what

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 7
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/_kyG5F98iZE?si=xbZxGTks7mD_UGGx
    This is the original ending for the remake of Little Shop of Horrors
    The 50's are perfect for horror. Racist, classist, misogynistic, homophobic, alcoholic, and ultimately nihilistic, but so darn jolly and bright about it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Amityville: Awakening today.

It has Bella Thorne so you know it has to be good….right?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I saw VS is doing a new slipcover release for the Amityville Curse with Canadian International Pictures and I thought of you

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I saw VS is doing a new slipcover release for the Amityville Curse with Canadian International Pictures and I thought of you

It’s nice to feel seen.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/_kyG5F98iZE?si=xbZxGTks7mD_UGGx
    This is the original ending for the remake of Little Shop of Horrors
    The 50's are perfect for horror. Racist, classist, misogynistic, homophobic, alcoholic, and ultimately nihilistic, but so darn jolly and bright about it

All that budget wasted on filming the perfect ending and not using it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Prime Video's doing a miniseries sequel to Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2099. Starring Michelle Yeoh https://deadline.com/2024/05/blade-runner-2099-casts-michelle-yeoh-prime-video-1235906169/

• Options
    I watched all of McTiernan along with Blank Check except for Medicine Man because I've got a baby to take care of and I'm not going to spend money and time to watch a movie I know is bad. I will only spend time that way. So here is my rankings of McTiernan's movies.

1. Predator
    2. Die Hard
    3. The Hunt for Red October
    4. Last Action Hero
    5. Basic
    6. Thomas Crown Affair
    7. Die Hard with a Vengeance
    8. 13th Warrior
    9. Rollerball
    10. Nomads

I think Thomas Crown Affair would have fared better if I hadn't watched it while taking care of a baby. In general movies like that are a lot harder to enjoy when also taking care of a child, Basic would fall into the same category, but I've seen it before so that helped a lot and I honestly thought about putting it up a little higher, but there are quite a few elements that make less sense the more you think about the movie. The two hardest parts were deciding which order to put Predator and Die Hard because they're both so good and 13th Warrior and Rollerball because they're both so bad. 13th Warrior won out because it at least has a charismatic lead in Antonio Banderas.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think Die Hard is a more consistently enjoyable watch from start to finish than Predator. Both are filled with memorable characters but I think the DH ones get more characterization. DH with a Vengeance would be my third, I think the ending lets it down.

• Options
    Prime Video's doing a miniseries sequel to Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2099. Starring Michelle Yeoh https://deadline.com/2024/05/blade-runner-2099-casts-michelle-yeoh-prime-video-1235906169/

Ok sure. I’ll watch that.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Edgar Wright posts thoughts on upcoming Furiosa movie.
    Even though I understand what it takes to make a film, I still don’t understand how Dr. George Miller does it. I was lucky enough to see ‘Furiosa’ a month ago, and I’m still reeling at how films like his exist. It’s so intricate, detailed, and immersive. The planning and love that have gone into the staging, blocking, and design are just unreal. Hats off to George and team for giving us 45 years of imaginative, visceral cinema. The movie is a feast for your eyes and ears, a full circle to the first Max adventure in 1979.

Also, the subtitle, ‘A Mad Max Saga’, is not wrong as this is a revenge epic, more than a chase movie like ‘Fury Road’. The closest comparison was something like 'Ben Hur' - where a long fuse of revenge burns for years and pays off with (no spoiler) the sweetest vengeance. Filmmakers and fans will leave with their heads spinning. I felt both inspired and envious! There was a point during a midway set piece where I leant over to a friend and said, "How the fuck does he do this?”

And, of course, the cast is amazing. Chris Hemsworth has never been better, Tom Burke is a brooding rugged presence recalling the original Road Warrior himself, and as for Anya, I’m so excited and proud to see her lighting up the screen.

Way back in March 2020, literally 48 hours before the pandemic shutdown happened and the country shut down, I had dinner with George Miller in London after he watched an early cut of ‘Last Night In Soho’. He asked me if Anya would be a good choice to play young Furiosa, and I responded, ‘Do it, do it! She’s a star, get her now!’. I texted Anya that night to expect a call from George Miller, and I’m so thrilled to see the results four years later. What a ride, you will enjoy!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think Die Hard is a more consistently enjoyable watch from start to finish than Predator. Both are filled with memorable characters but I think the DH ones get more characterization. DH with a Vengeance would be my third, I think the ending lets it down.

I think Die Hard is a better made film but Predator is far more rewatchable to me.

I mean, the body mass alone!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

I think Die Hard is a better made film but Predator is far more rewatchable to me.

I mean, the body mass alone!!

This is basically the criteria I used to put Predator at number 1, but they're both 5 star movies so it's really just quibbling.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Predator and Die Hard...and honestly Hunt for The Red October are all basically perfect films, it's insane that the same guy made Rollerball.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I think it's crazier he went from making Nomads to Predator. A truly dogshit film intro a genre defining masterpiece.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 7
    edit: opp, wrong thread

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think all of that is less bonkers than him making the movie taking the piss out of all of his own movies

I seriously did not know he directed Last Action Hero until relatively recently, it's absolutely unhinged

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    5. Basic
    6. Thomas Crown Affair

Little disappointed here, not gonna lie.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Spoiler for forum bug, a tribute to Bernard Hill in Lord of the Rings: Online.
    4nhduy48ne0e.png

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    5. Basic
    6. Thomas Crown Affair

Little disappointed here, not gonna lie.

I knew that was going to be the reaction, but I have to live my truth. Maybe when my kid is older and can entertain herself and I don't need to make sure she isn't playing with the dog's water bowl I'll give it another watch and like it better. I'm pretty sure that will be the case, but I really love Travolta and Jackson in Basic.

• Options
    edited May 8
    man watching ghost busters frozen empire, why is all dialogue so fast in movies now. It feels like every character is in a rush to get in as many lines as they can per minute. Theres no room for lines to sit or hit right, just a blitz of line after line, each one trying to outdo the last and stand out, its a cacophony.

I just watched 1 and 2 and they have such slow and casual dialogue delivery, like this lazy coolness that feels like everyone is just talking for each other, to actual listen and respond and let things build up and hit right.

So depressing

Also they added this new sidekick kid character and then sidelined the brother for him who was filling the exact same role, the brother character basically disappears from the films middle entirely. So weird

The end of the movie has 12 fucking characters involved in the final set piece sequence. In several sequences all 12 characters are in the same room. And that’s not including two ghost characters. Maybe if you find your ostensible comedy action romp has more characters in its finale than the fucking fellowship of the ring, you might have gone wrong somewhere

Prohass on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Without reiterating my complete disdain for the film's ending and it's overall poor quality, I'm reminded of Rich Evans' commentary for Ghostbusters 2016 (paraphrased): "If nobody's talking, nobody's laughing."