Options

What's the best thing to climb on in [Dragon's Dogma 2]?

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    TIL that the Wayfarer vocation also gives a little bit of points to all the other vocations, so you can at least get a bit of extra vocation levelling in for everything.

I accidentally hit the endgame unprepared and with half the map unexplored, but I Mystic Spearhand lol'd through it and am just about ready to NG+. I guess I'll make sure to check everything out first on the next go around.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Golem
    ...there's one in the fountain?

The fountain I regularly jump in and climb on anytime I pass through?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've seen a Trickster create an ice floe in the water next to a cave, cast a decoy on the ice floe, do something that made the ice no longer solid, and aggroed a bunch of lizard people in the cave. They all came running out, went straight for the decoy still at the far end of the ice, and one by one they all went in the drink

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Griffon
    Straightzi wrote: »
    They blend in so much sometimes. I've had times where even with a pawn telling me that there's something nearby and the little ! on the map I still can't find the token.

It took me 30+ hours to realize the exclamation marks were often seeker tokens because it's also used for ladders I've already climbed and notes or books I've already read.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Some other monster I don't know about yet
    Straightzi wrote: »
    They blend in so much sometimes. I've had times where even with a pawn telling me that there's something nearby and the little ! on the map I still can't find the token.

I somehow missed the one in the Vermund fountain, which is embarrassing

Just wait until you look at the other fountains in Vermund.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    as a rule if the pawns start vaguely muttering about "mayhaps there is something around here" rather than specifically talking about gatherable materials, ladders or treasure chests, they are probably trying to show you where a seeker token they have seen collected before is

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'm going to make the switch to Magick Archer soon but there isn't a piece of top armour I love

My fashion needs!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think trickster? might also get an ability that marks seeker's tokens. I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if it's like the dowsing blades, or that item that marks all the wakestone shards nearby on your map

• Options
    Griffon
    I think trickster? might also get an ability that marks seeker's tokens. I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if it's like the dowsing blades, or that item that marks all the wakestone shards nearby on your map

The tokens make a sound that gets faster as you get closer. They also blink, so they're way easier to see from a distance.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Chimera
    Yeah that's what Pooro was talking about, it does a little sonar ping when you're close to one and the tokens glint/flash a bit.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I've also noticed that seeker's tokens give off a haze

like, if you're near one, you see faint greenish mists around them

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Griffon
    So they're stinky

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So they're stinky

They also got their “film of motor oil or gas on a puddle” look too ‘em too; that filth rainbow

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Chimera
    Continuing to use the Trickster, I think I'm starting to get it (like five levels into it).

My standard setup is to take as pawns a Mage, a Sorcerer, and an Archer. The theory behind this is that you can use the illusory walls skill to separate your people from the enemies, which doesn't work as well if they're charging up the enemies (which they still do, but whatever, it's fine). Plus you kind of want your smoke double to be drawing aggro, so having warriors around is kind of counterproductive a lot of times. The actual flow of the fights for me is summoning the simulacrum (possibly behind a illusory wall if enemies are close), latching it on to someone, using the aggro smoke ability to make everyone attack the simulacrum, and repeating. There's a lot of running around and throwing up walls behind me as I go with this too, as you can't get hit by enemy attacks or the whole thing falls apart. With big enemies I'll try and get the simulacrum latched on to them if there are other small enemies around (I've made some decent work of having harpies do my damage for me), but if it's just a solo enemy it's less important to have the simulacrum latched on, just more about having it distract the enemies and maybe using the ally buffing smoke as well.

I've also got that astral project skill but I've never actually used it. Once again it seems like a very cool thing to have in a game other than the one I'm currently playing.

Anyways, it works pretty well, until it doesn't at least (I had all my pawns get killed at one point and you really can't do anything there). I think I wish there was something else going on with the censer attacks - I like the idea of not dealing direct damage, but it would be cool if you did like, a status effect or something instead. Just drawing attention with it is... mostly useless? Let me put enemies to sleep with my incense or something.

• Options
    Griffon
    When you astral project, you can also move the simulacrum around, that's the real use case for it

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I had heard people talk around the Endgame, I felt like I had an idea of the SHAPE of what would happen/when, even if I didn't know the specific mechanics. I felt like I wanted to do a round of NG+ before getting into any Endgame stuff, I was getting the impression that it would be thematically appropriate.

But I didn't want to look anything up, I wanted to fly blind. Turns out that my completionist nature led to me accidentally triggering Endgame stuff before I realized how locked in I was getting. And HOO BOY was that a jump in game difficulty.

Thank God I'd been leveling Mystic Spearhand, I have no idea how I would've navigated any of that shit without the shield ability. I was level ~49 and even just traveling was brutal
    Managed to complete all the quests and evacuate everyone, which felt pretty good. Wasted a lot of time (and more than a few Wakestones) trying to get to the Nameless Village, only to find that they couldn't be evacuated (or, if there was a way, I couldn't figure it out).

But overall, man, really fun late game conceit! I wish I'd been better prepared/kitted out, but I had been feeling wildly overpowered as a Mystic Spearhand and it was kind of nice to have actual challenge even if "Here's two Ogres and a Lich as a standard roadside encounter" was maybe a LITTLE too far in the other direction.

What an all-time great late title card drop, too, holy shit. "You only see the title card if you unlock the path to the True Ending" is some Yoko Taro shit, god bless

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Drake
    i just started this game a couple days ago and i'm fuckin' lovin' it

i played a bit of the original, but even though i could see the appeal of it, it never really hooked me for some reason

i guess it's just a right time right place for this one because i am so into it

one of the first quests i got being "hey man i'm going out of town for a week could you house sit for me" went a long way to instantly charming me, i think. it's just such a quaint, low stakes "quest" in a game where I watched a 20 foot eagle swoop down and carry off a giant bison. They got a bottle of wine delivered to them from a lover and i took it inside and put it in their storage chest for them and then i went and fought goblins all day and came back and crashed in their house. i dunno, there's just something nice about it!

• Options

i played a bit of the original, but even though i could see the appeal of it, it never really hooked me for some reason

one of the first quests i got being "hey man i'm going out of town for a week could you house sit for me" went a long way to instantly charming me, i think. it's just such a quaint, low stakes "quest" in a game where I watched a 20 foot eagle swoop down and carry off a giant bison. They got a bottle of wine delivered to them from a lover and i took it inside and put it in their storage chest for them and then i went and fought goblins all day and came back and crashed in their house. i dunno, there's just something nice about it!

Sometimes a Dragon's Dogma 2 quest will be like "A fell beast has slain a dozen men - lay it low lest it also devour mine dearest brother."

And other times it will be like "This dude has a weird vibe. Figure it out. Or don't, whatever."

It rules

• Options
    Golem

Sometimes a Dragon's Dogma 2 quest will be like "A fell beast has slain a dozen men - lay it low lest it also devour mine dearest brother."

And other times it will be like "This dude has a weird vibe. Figure it out. Or don't, whatever."

It rules

It does kind of rule that I can't say for certain which "this dude has a weird vibe" quest you're actually referring to.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I will say that the Phantom Oxcart quest just plain sucks; just multiple levels of awful design decisions from start to finish. I definitely recommend looking up a guide.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Drake
    Wow, seems like a massive flaw that there's an unguarded passage into battahl directly next to the border checkpoint, fuck figuring out how to sneak through, I'll simply--

Oh.

Oh.

Oh.

• Options
    Drake
    i had a lot of money, went to the elf town, and didn't really bother to check the prices as i bought my archer pawn the best bow they had available

i don't have a lot of money anymore

• Options
    Chimera
    I feel like every time I think I have a lot of money I go shopping and immediately am destitute again

The economy is absolutely bonkers in this game

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Chimera
    I forgot what thread I was in and it sucks that until I got to "in this game" I just naturally assumed you were talking about real life

• Options
    I have money until I change classes and kit out and then poof

• Options
    Chimera
    It's always so exciting when you realize that you can reuse a piece of your current outfit with your new class.

• Options
    Griffon
    Even moreso if it's something I think looks good

• Options
    Chimera
    Listen I wouldn't be wearing it if it didn't look good. This is a fashion game first and foremost.

• Options
    Golem
    I am absolutely purposely forgoing the best chest armor because it clips through my cape awkwardly, so I'm instead going with the second best chest armor that looks sick and doesn't clip.

• Options
    Griffon
    The entire time I was a Mage and Sorcerer I had no pants

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    as god intended

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    How else are you supposed to pop a squat and shit in the middle of the street

• Options
    Golem
    Madican wrote: »
    How else are you supposed to pop a squat and shit in the middle of the street

poop hatch, duh

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I finished archer and switched to warrior. The level 9 Archer augment made me think it would let me scale sheer cliffs or walls but apparently it just lets you climb 10% faster. WTF? How is that garbage a level 9 augment? Probably going to get the increased carry weight augment and switch to mage.

I spent quite a bit of time exploring caves and I guess i can kind of see what people mean when they say it is kind of pointless. None of them had anything great in them, but i still really enjoyed just exploring. Seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the frequency of the goblin and wolf attacks or whatever but the weaker enemies are great for discipline. I can pop a goblin in one shot for 20 disc or spend 5 minutes fighting a troll for 130. One is obviously more engaging but it is nice to at least be rewarded with a nice chunk of discipline.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Chimera
    Exploring caves is the entire point of the game as far as I'm concerned, that's simply the best thing to be doing. I've found plenty of good stuff in caves too, generally speaking, though some of that is a matter of hitting the right caves at the right time.

I've been doing a lot of exploring areas I've already been through lately because of the trickster seeker's token augment and found some new caves and such along the way. The equipment I get out of them is indeed not as good as what I already own, but I'm still finding money and new routes to familiar places and such.

• Options
    Drake
    This quest seems broken!

I'm supposed to talk to a kid they've got locked up in jail in bakbatahl

The guard at the door lets me in

And then all of the guards, including him, immediately aggro as soon as I come inside

• Options
    Chimera
    Yeah that seems like a problem.

I've also run into issues with that quest, but not quite like that.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    The uh thing I learned from that quest is that guards are not psychic like in Bethesda worlds

Kid will talk once everyone has had a nap

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Griffon
    That quest has weird triggers. I had to do a bunch of googling to figure out how to advance it. One of the triggers involves wandering by some random guard in the city.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I had to talk to the captain.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.