As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Powerful scenes (Here be spoilers men, Arrggg!)

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The press conference in Black Summer 0.
    John Horus and some other dudes were science-weapon superheroes for a while. Something got screwed up, and at least one of them was killed and another guy was crippled. Only Horus kept up the superhero thing, apparently becoming some kind of adviser to the government or something. After some time, he gets fed up with the corruption and does something terrible-- he slaughters the Prez, the Veep and some other guys.
    Black_Summer_000_004.jpg

Black_Summer_000_005.jpg

Black_Summer_000_006.jpg

Black_Summer_000_007.jpg

O_o

That right there is some seriously fucked up shit.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    John Horus and some other dudes were science-weapon superheroes for a while. Something got screwed up, and at least one of them was killed and another guy was crippled. Only Horus kept up the superhero thing, apparently becoming some kind of adviser to the government or something. After some time, he gets fed up with the corruption and does something terrible-- he slaughters the Prez, the Veep and some other guys.
    Black_Summer_000_004.jpg

Black_Summer_000_005.jpg

Black_Summer_000_006.jpg

Black_Summer_000_007.jpg

O_o

That right there is some seriously stupid shit.

Fixed for you. In addition, I am now dumber for reading it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saint of Killers.

"Not enough gun."

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Black_Summer_000_004.jpg

Black_Summer_000_005.jpg

Black_Summer_000_006.jpg

Black_Summer_000_007.jpg

O_o

Right, because you know if someone disagrees with your politics in a fictional story, it must be because you're smarter than they.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Saint of Killers.

"Not enough gun."

More SoK:
    "To rest."

(sorry, don't have a scan)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Black_Summer_000_004.jpg

Black_Summer_000_005.jpg

Black_Summer_000_006.jpg

Black_Summer_000_007.jpg

O_o

Right, because you know if someone disagrees with your politics in a fictional story, it must be because you're smarter than they.

I agree with his political views(well, not "The WTC was all a set-up!" but "We're in Iraq under false pretenses and the elections weren't fair, but that's neither here nor there) but it's still retarded.

I can't tell if he's saying this is the only thing that will make the country fair, or "This is what anyone who disagrees wants to do to the president because they are stupid."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    He's not really saying either of those. He's saying this is the only way he could see to right the wrongs done by the government: Punish the criminals, and have a fresh start.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You guys really aren't getting Black Summer very well, are you?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Let's not derail this thread.

Shade_TCM_v2_02_15.jpg

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What the fuck?

Is that from Doom Patrol?

If so I haven't gotten that far yet.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    What the fuck?

Naw, it's from Shade: The Changing Man. Something called the American Scream uses a JFK conspiracy theorist's obsession to warp reality, giving rise to a Kennedy Sphinx that tries to eat the country as it demands an answer to its riddle.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fuck me if that doesn't sound like a plot that would come out of Doom Patrol

Awesome nonetheless

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Assume much? Nah...

I'm dumber for reading a crappy story by an author who I already think is overrated and just... not as good as people think Internet Jesus is. Politics have nothing to do with it, and frankly my politics are none of your business.

Feel free to argue about BS (appropriate) in its thread, but not with me because I'm not touching it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What the fuck?

Naw, it's from Shade: The Changing Man. Something called the American Scream uses a JFK conspiracy theorist's obsession to warp reality, giving rise to a Kennedy Sphinx that tries to eat the country as it demands an answer to its riddle.

Like Oedipus Rex?

Algertman on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What the fuck?

"Err uhh, Roah*. Grrr."

(Imagine "Roar" said by JFK)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    There were so many parts of the Son of M series where I was just waiting for Quicksilver to do something horrible to his daughter. He finally realizes he's gone too far and sends her away, but I was on the edge of my seat every time he was around her. Also, when Spider-Man shows up...oh man...
    Shaking Pietro like a ragdoll and demanding to know why, in his 'perfect world' MJ wasn't there. And why Quicksilver tortured him with a life with Gwen and a kid, after both of those died in the real world. Then just watching him take a suicide dive...Peter was really looking nuts there, and it was creepy.

Anybody got a scan of that?

Or at least which issue of Son of M it was? I kinda skipped that series.
    scan0013.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    scan0015.jpg

Also, here's another example of Spidey going nuts. I'm sure if you've read this series, you know there are several other great, or incredibly sad, moments. But this one matches up nicely with the other. I apologize in advance for the crappy scans of this one, it's got a glossy, harder cover so I couldn't really flatten it out.
    scan0016.jpg
    scan0017.jpg
    scan0018.jpg

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Daredevil #49 AKA "DAREDEVIL DIDN'T LIKE THE DAREDEVIL MOVIE EITHER"

or

"DAREDEVIL GIVES BULLSEYE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT"

Hardcore forever changed the status quo of Daredevil.

Bullseye never had a chance:
    DDCALMTHEFUCKDOWN.jpg
    AIMTRUE.jpg

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    There were so many parts of the Son of M series where I was just waiting for Quicksilver to do something horrible to his daughter. He finally realizes he's gone too far and sends her away, but I was on the edge of my seat every time he was around her. Also, when Spider-Man shows up...oh man...
    Shaking Pietro like a ragdoll and demanding to know why, in his 'perfect world' MJ wasn't there. And why Quicksilver tortured him with a life with Gwen and a kid, after both of those died in the real world. Then just watching him take a suicide dive...Peter was really looking nuts there, and it was creepy.

Anybody got a scan of that?

Or at least which issue of Son of M it was? I kinda skipped that series.
    scan0013.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    scan0015.jpg

Also, here's another example of Spidey going nuts. I'm sure if you've read this series, you know there are several other great, or incredibly sad, moments. But this one matches up nicely with the other. I apologize in advance for the crappy scans of this one, it's got a glossy, harder cover so I couldn't really flatten it out.
    scan0016.jpg
    scan0017.jpg
    scan0018.jpg

wow, those are both pretty crazy. in the second one, is that NightCrawler?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nightcrawler shows up in that issue or the one before, actually. The villian is actually a teleporter as well. Kurt visits to explain about the 'mutant holocaust' from WW2, and to help them figure out how the bad guys' powers work. They both do cool things with them.
    The main bad guy teleports drugs directly into celebrities bloodstreams so no noticable marks of taking the drugs appear. He also uses this power to kill people by making them overdose.
    The other bad guy kills him by teleporting himself into the middle of his body and exploding him. He also 'ports that mask he's holding directly into Spidey's neck on the next page.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What's that from, Reynolds?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    The Awakening of the Sleeping Celestial in The Eternals. It's not sad or horrifying or anything, it's just very interesting and shows how a god-like being would think of humans.

and this, which happens shortly after:
    untitledgs8.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    hahah awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    You should put that in spoiler tags, because of the size.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You should put that in spoiler tags, because of the size.
    Hrm?

I don't really get that. I mean, in the old forums H-Scroll royally fucked up everything, but these forums fixes it automatically. It doesn't screw up anything.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It screws it up for me, for some reason.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Weird

Oh well, I'll spoiler it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I wish I had a scanner, but the last page of Y:The Last Man #56

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    End of the Guardian Devil Daredevil arc.

With DD and Spidey on the bridge.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Superman: Red Son's turning point
    RedSon.jpg

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I wish I had a scanner, but the last page of Y:The Last Man #56

It's seriously the happiest moment ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some pretty powerful moments for me were:

Daredevil
    Karen Page's death. I only started reading Daredevil stuff last year, I knew she had been killed, but never actually knew how/why. Man, I was so happy when Matt flips out on Bullseye later on in Bendis' run.

Also Daredevil
    The Trial of the White Tiger. The whole arc was excellent, in my opinion. The end, where he snaps and gets shot down on the steps of the courthouse, and then the guilty kid turns himself in, man.

One last Daredevil, haha
    The end of Bendis' run. Where everything just hits the fan, and Matt LOSES. The final panels of him being taken away by the FBI had me all like "Ohhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit".

Seriously, after reading the Daredevil hardcovers, I immediately forced them on my friends. That run, and now the new one, have made Daredevil out to be one of my favorite characters, when just over a year ago I was like 'pfft he's blind olol'.

And I second the Cadmus Arc of JLU, especially,
    After beating the tar out of Captain Atom, and the government trys to take him, Superman turns them away and is all like "He's JUSTICE LEAGUE." and brings him with them. But most of all, the Flash beating BrainiacLuthor, and then "I don't feel so good..." and he disappears! But yay he's alive. Man I love JLU.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

Spider-Man/Black Cat : The Evil That Men Do

It was by Kevin Smith, and took an incredibly long time to come out. But it had some great twists.
    Felicia started her initial training not to become a theif, but in order to kill someone.
    A guy who raped her.
    They think she's killed someone else during the story, and gets arrested. And Matt Murdock is her lawyer. The first bad guy gets killed by his brother, as I said, by teleporting into him and exploding him. Why?
    The older brother had been raping the younger one, and he was about to rape and possibly kill Black Cat.
    Then, after Spidey and Cat are both too slow to save the confused bad guy from falling to his death, he teleports out. Felicia tells Peter her secret, and the teleporter has a conversation with the Kingpin.
    And ends up buying the Mysterio suit and gadgets, pledging to kill Spider-Man, and offering to kill Daredevil for Fisk as well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Great? Well, that's one word for them.

Shit is another.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »

Spider-Man/Black Cat : The Evil That Men Do

It was by Kevin Smith, and took an incredibly long time to come out. But it had some great twists.
    Felicia started her initial training not to become a theif, but in order to kill someone.
    A guy who raped her.
    They think she's killed someone else during the story, and gets arrested. And Matt Murdock is her lawyer. The first bad guy gets killed by his brother, as I said, by teleporting into him and exploding him. Why?
    The older brother had been raping the younger one, and he was about to rape and possibly kill Black Cat.
    Then, after Spidey and Cat are both too slow to save the confused bad guy from falling to his death, he teleports out. Felicia tells Peter her secret, and the teleporter has a conversation with the Kingpin.
    And ends up buying the Mysterio suit and gadgets, pledging to kill Spider-Man, and offering to kill Daredevil for Fisk as well.

Secret to a blockbuster mini-series: Rape.

Having now unlocked the code that will allow me to become a superstar comic author I bid you adieu chumps!

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I enjoyed the series. But, it was really easy to see people disliking it for a lot of reasons. Sorta like his movies.

I remember trying to explain them to my parents. And then finally getting them to watch Dogma, which I thought would at least interest them since they're catholic. My dad was really amused when the Metatron (right?) pulled his pants off. Sometime after that, he fell asleep. My step-mom kept wandering away for most of the movie to do other things. I just quietly finished watching it, then took it out and never talked about it again.

They were more captured by Akira, actually. Although that experience ended exactly the same.
    I succeeded in getting my three younger siblings fucking addicted to My Neighbor Totoro, though. We also watched about two seasons of Ranma.

Wow, I went really off-topic there.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked the first two issues of Evil that Men do a whole lot. Then it went away for a long time and came back as rapey McRapesalot.

It's like he read Identity Crisis and all he took from it was "You know I need more rape"

Bloods End on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Skullo wrote: »
    Some pretty powerful moments for me were:

Daredevil
    Karen Page's death. I only started reading Daredevil stuff last year, I knew she had been killed, but never actually knew how/why. Man, I was so happy when Matt flips out on Bullseye later on in Bendis' run.

Also Daredevil
    The Trial of the White Tiger. The whole arc was excellent, in my opinion. The end, where he snaps and gets shot down on the steps of the courthouse, and then the guilty kid turns himself in, man.

One last Daredevil, haha
    The end of Bendis' run. Where everything just hits the fan, and Matt LOSES. The final panels of him being taken away by the FBI had me all like "Ohhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit".

Seriously, after reading the Daredevil hardcovers, I immediately forced them on my friends. That run, and now the new one, have made Daredevil out to be one of my favorite characters, when just over a year ago I was like 'pfft he's blind olol'.
    Bendis' Daredevil really was one of the best runs on anything ever. So much awesome in it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MinkyUrungusMinkyUrungus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's been a while since the last entry, but...

I have two that I can think of off the top of my head right now:

1.) There was a moment in an old Lee/Ditko-era "Amazing Spider-Man" where a young Peter Parker (even be-spectacled, I think!) is trying to do his homework, but he's constantly distracted by his thoughts concerning Aunt May (who was in the hospital for...I don't know, sitting up too fast).

I know that this whole kind of thing was nothing new back then, but it was how the panels were drawn that really, really hammered it in for me:

Peter is seen trying to get a smidgen of attention on his assignment, but a thought bubble of Aunt May is near his head. It gets bigger and bigger until it's eventually filling up the majority of a panel and even covering your view of Peter.

It gets to be that the picture of May is such a distraction to Peter (and the reader) that it literally becomes the major focus of the panel. Trying to read the comic normally with this picture of a frail, old woman taking up all the room is so distracting and makes you feel exactly like Parker at that moment. At least for me, anyways.

But, anyshits... The greatest use of a thought bubble in comic history.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2.) The second came from the title "The Ballad of Halo Jones." It was written by Alan Moore and it originally appeared in the 2000 AD comic line from the UK around the time he was just starting out. (It's not "heavy" or anything, but it's really just, overall, a good read and it's collected in the "Complete Ballad of Halo Jones").

Anyways there's this minor character named Glyph who's a background character that is ignored by everyone around her...or him. Not out of spite though. He/she started his/her life as a boy/girl (Glyph doesn't really remember) and was never happy with his/her self so he/she constantly had "total body remoulds" to be in a state he/she could be happy with.

The final total of moulds came to 47.

Doing this caused Glyph(brevity, here...and it's its name) to become a non-entity that really "wasn't anything." Glyph was constantly going about life as a near-non-existent thing (couldn't get a job 'cuz the interview was abandoned after 10 seconds, wouldn't be served at restaurants, its landlady rented its apartment to another family, etc.).
    "It was as if I'd somehow slipped beneath the threshold of human awareness."

The only upsides was that Glyph would never starve as it only had to take food from the store or sit in at a family's dinner. No one noticed. It really doesn't mean much though 'cuz the life is just so pathetically depressing.

There's actually much more detail there, but I've already typed WAY too much here. So I'll just get to the "heavy moment" :

When Halo is attacked by a rabid robot dog, Glyph comes in to save the day, sacrificing his/her/its life.

No one notices or even cares. No reason to.

(And now I realize I really just ruined the momentum of that "moment" by typing all that shit...But hells if I'm gonna fix it).

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Fables: The Last Castle. The final battle scene.
    Poor red-cross knight.
    Fables_-_The_Last_Castle_p037.jpg

Fables_-_The_Last_Castle_p038.jpg

My heart sank a little after reading the last battle.
    Especially for all the cool characters that die, I really hope they do a spin off that details more of Blue Boy's exploits with Bearskin's Free Companies.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dunjon4aw0.jpg

From the French comic Donjon (Dungeon here in the states). The previous two volumes have followed Herbert the duck, an inept swordsman, and Marvin the dragon, his reluctant protector, in their adventures. Volume three opens up with Marvin the dragon aged many years, now old, grey, and blind. With Marvin the Red, a red rabbit named after him, Marvin the dragon sets out to confront the murderous dictator that rules over the land, using mass murder in the form of sacrifices to fuel his power.
    dunjon1fl1.jpg

dunjon2aw6.jpg

dunjon3gz1.jpg

There's something so sad about this scene. Here you have these two guys who were such good friends, but circumstances and time have made them enemies of each other. Then, when they finally see each other after so long, all they can do is stand there in awkward silence before they start sniping at each other again.

Plus it's just sort of heart rending to see them both so old and tired, worn down through all the terrible shit they've had to put up with.

Munch on