As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Powerful scenes (Here be spoilers men, Arrggg!)

PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
Alright, I'm making this after just finishing a reread of Morrison's entire run of New X-Men. The book is full of all kinds of incredible stuff, but there's one scene that always just nails me. After a ton of stuff happening including the destruction of Genosha, it is revealed that Professor X
Is actually his evil twin Cassandra Nova who wants to destroy all Mutants and is about to get on board a Shii'ar super destroyer. He/she proceeds to drive Beast feral and then have one of the students beat Beast nearly to death, then calmly go on to link up with the Shii'ar and wreck their empire.
Now, as great as the comic alone was at that time, this moment really energized comics for me and just floored me in general. I sat starring at the reveal page for half an hour trying to comprehend just how far reaching the effect of what happened was. It really just amazed me how effective that two page reveal was.

So this thread is mostly just for us to discuss the really heavy moments in comics. What point in any run was effective for you? When did you realize the potential that the comic book medium held as an art form? When did the artist and writer just find the perfect way to draw you into a compelling story?

PsychoLarry1 on

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Being a pet person, especially a dog person, WE3 pretty much made me all on the verge of tears every other page.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    silkypeasilkypea Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i can't think of anything in particular... but in the authority their are lots of times when you think holy shit how are they going to beat this guy. and then they come up with some radical way to use their powers to stop them everytime it's fucking amazing.

silkypea on
    from the bottom of the bottle to the top of the throne
    doom the fuck tree
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Watchmen, the first few pages of the last book.
    Everything up until this point had been normal 9 panel styled pages, and then there's just page upon page of full screen destruction & gore as the fake alien remains lay over New York. It was so jarring. I remember just slowly turning the pages and observing every little detail.

Lux on
  • Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's been mentioned millions of times, and rightfully so:

Animal Man.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I acknowledge that I am extremely biased towards Morrison, but Animal Man is certainly something anyone that calls themselves a fan of comics, or literature really, should read. Also...
    Morrison's cat
    christ, that was oddly moving.

Oh, and Scott Pilgrim.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to justify myself on that. Emotionally, when Envy shows up...yeesh. I really hate to use that "I can relate" cliche, but the truth is I can and I do...often.

Animal Man and Scott Pilgrim. Most enjoyable reading I've ever done.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Two scenes came to mind for me, both of them depicting death.

The first is just the opening from Milligan's Shade: The Changing Man. The deaths in question really have no impact beyond the initial shock. The point is simply to put the main character in the position she needs to be in for the story to start and, while the deceased are clearly close to her, they mean nothing to the reader.

Nonetheless, the scene still stands out as a particularly effective opening that has stuck with me since the initial reading. As far as traumatic events go, it's up there. And yeah, maybe you'll feel a little twinge with that last page. I guess it's a matter of personal sensitivity.
    Shade_TCM_v2_01_04.jpg

Shade_TCM_v2_01_05.jpg

Shade_TCM_v2_01_06.jpg

Shade_TCM_v2_01_07.jpg

Shade_TCM_v2_01_08.jpg

Shade_TCM_v2_01_09.jpg

The second is from Grant Morrison's Seaguy, a miniseries that didn't really take off and was denied the sequel that would have, presumably, rendered the entire thing understandable.

All you really need to know is that Seaguy is the only hero left in his world following a Crisis-style event while the fish accompanying him is lifelong companion Chubby the Choona. Together, the two took a trip to a theme park that, through a series of turns, led to them encountering Atlantis and a hive of clockwork wasps. This is probably the most heart-wrenching death scene I've ever read in a comic, a distinction that's all the more remarkable considering the character had only existed for two issues. The senselessness of it and the clear bond between Chubby and Seaguy along with the cruelty of Death himself all combine to give me a quick jab to the heart that's really a credit to Grant Morrison's writing.

I have to admit, though, the apparent silliness of the characters detracts from the scene if you haven't had an entire storyline to get used to them beforehand.
    SeaGuy-02-26.jpg

SeaGuy-02-27.jpg

SeaGuy-02-28.jpg

SeaGuy-02-29.jpg

SeaGuy-02-30.jpg

SeaGuy-02-32-1.jpg

SeaGuy-02-33.jpg

Issue Three starts immediately after, and while it's technically a second scene it does depict the final fate of Chubby the Choona.
    You never really see the indignity of death in comics.

Seaguy3-01.jpg

Seaguy3-02.jpg

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    New Frontier has about a billion and a half. But if I had to choose a few...

The spread at the end with all of the heroes is so perfect, because it really shows that the heroes of the world are ready to unite.
    Also, the one panel where J'onn is ripping a monster in half and he just thinks "I will never let my FRIEND King down" shook me up a bit.
    Of course, the entirety of John Henry's tale.
    And finally... "This one has been asking for a woman named Lois."

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    oh man.

starman
    basically the entire issue of ted's funeral. so damn sad. that and the last few scenes of the previous issue. 'I wish I could say it's been fun.'

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Some of the best art and coloring I've seen in memory, in Runaways volume two issue 18.
    Runawaysv2-018-18.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but when all the mainstream, really 'heroic' Marvel heroes show up (with fucking Dr. Doom along to help) to save the X-Men and rally for the final battle against Onslaught, I got all teary-eyed. It's a really nice picture of the iconic bits of their costumes - the 4 symbol, Cap's shield, Thor's hammer, etc. - stepping out of this dark cloud that's been thrown up, and just busting through to save the day, like always.

Exiles had a ton of sad moments. Really enjoyable characters got killed off or removed from the team all the time. Or got to see mirror images of people they loved being killed. Or worse...having to kill them themselves.

There were so many parts of the Son of M series where I was just waiting for Quicksilver to do something horrible to his daughter. He finally realizes he's gone too far and sends her away, but I was on the edge of my seat every time he was around her. Also, when Spider-Man shows up...oh man...
    Shaking Pietro like a ragdoll and demanding to know why, in his 'perfect world' MJ wasn't there. And why Quicksilver tortured him with a life with Gwen and a kid, after both of those died in the real world. Then just watching him take a suicide dive...Peter was really looking nuts there, and it was creepy.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I have to say that Spider-man scene after house of M was.... really well done.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They're actually going to print the second installment of Seaguy "The Slaves of Mickey Eye".
    Morrison held 52 hostage for it.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Justice League Classified
    The Superbuddies have traveled to Hell and found their old friend Ice, Fire's best friend and Guy's old girlfriend. To free her from Hell they have to walk out without looking back.

jli1sa1.jpgjli2pt0.jpgjli3eg3.jpg

Loki
    Loki has overtaken Asgard and now holds Thor prisoner, condemned to be executed.
    blz13qz1.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's a bit cliche, but the Amazing Spider-man #36 issue had a bunch.

That was the one with the black cover that depicted 9/11. The whole "You can't see us from the smoke, but we're here", and had people like Dr. Doom helping along side the Marvel heroes.
    SpiderManand911EA.jpg

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    New Frontier has about a billion and a half. But if I had to choose a few...

The spread at the end with all of the heroes is so perfect, because it really shows that the heroes of the world are ready to unite.
    Also, the one panel where J'onn is ripping a monster in half and he just thinks "I will never let my FRIEND King down" shook me up a bit.
    Of course, the entirety of John Henry's tale.
    And finally... "This one has been asking for a woman named Lois."

I wholeheartedly agree with the Martian Manhunter and King Faraday bit in New Frontier. That was some good shit right there.

The final confrontation at the end of Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme maxi-series is heartrending. In fact, the whole series is filled with powerful moments, not all involving death.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    saint2e wrote: »

That was the one with the black cover that depicted 9/11. The whole "You can't see us from the smoke, but we're here", and had people like Dr. Doom helping along side the Marvel heroes.
    SpiderManand911EA.jpg

Oh god that was so dumb.

"Hey isn't Magneto you know... a terrorist? Didn't he try to take over the world last week and kill off most of the normal humans?"

"Yeah maybe."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Sugar MagnoliaSugar Magnolia Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Justice League Classified
    The Superbuddies have traveled to Hell and found their old friend Ice, Fire's best friend and Guy's old girlfriend. To free her from Hell they have to walk out without looking back.

jli1sa1.jpgjli2pt0.jpgjli3eg3.jpg

Loki
    Loki has overtaken Asgard and now holds Thor prisoner, condemned to be executed.
    blz13qz1.jpg

These are pretty much the two I had in mind, so I'll just go ahead and say that if you haven't read Loki, you really need to.

Sugar Magnolia on
    shoop.JPG
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

SpiderManand911EA.jpg

Oh god that was so dumb.

"Hey isn't Magneto you know... a terrorist? Didn't he try to take over the world last week and kill off most of the normal humans?"

"Yeah maybe."

Same here. 9/11 was an awful tragedy, but it was still horribly glaring to watch these villains cry over the WTC, when they've attempted and succeded at killing as many, and more.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The first one that comes into mind is when Superman was killed by Doomsday.
    I was horrified that a hero that I looked up to died in such a brutal way.
    I was nine years old when it happened.
    Fuck the 90's.

Zombot on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Bruce Wayne being broken over Bane's knee

Grifter on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh god damn it Blackjack, now I've got something in my eye... :(

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else would agree with me, but when all the mainstream, really 'heroic' Marvel heroes show up (with fucking Dr. Doom along to help) to save the X-Men and rally for the final battle against Onslaught, I got all teary-eyed. It's a really nice picture of the iconic bits of their costumes - the 4 symbol, Cap's shield, Thor's hammer, etc. - stepping out of this dark cloud that's been thrown up, and just busting through to save the day, like always.

Exiles had a ton of sad moments. Really enjoyable characters got killed off or removed from the team all the time. Or got to see mirror images of people they loved being killed. Or worse...having to kill them themselves.

There were so many parts of the Son of M series where I was just waiting for Quicksilver to do something horrible to his daughter. He finally realizes he's gone too far and sends her away, but I was on the edge of my seat every time he was around her. Also, when Spider-Man shows up...oh man...
    Shaking Pietro like a ragdoll and demanding to know why, in his 'perfect world' MJ wasn't there. And why Quicksilver tortured him with a life with Gwen and a kid, after both of those died in the real world. Then just watching him take a suicide dive...Peter was really looking nuts there, and it was creepy.

Anybody got a scan of that?

Or at least which issue of Son of M it was? I kinda skipped that series.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

SpiderManand911EA.jpg

I was ashamed to read that

Algertman on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I really, really, hated that ASM issue.

I know it gets a lot of hate, but I really liked the first issue of Identity Crisis. The whole "She's my girl" speech makes me a little misty eyed every time I read it.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The ending of Pride of Baghdad.

also, in Sandman: The Wake
    When Fiddler's Green declines on the new Dream's offer of resurrecting him.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The ending of Pride of Baghdad.

also, in Sandman: The Wake
    When Fiddler's Green declines on the new Dream's offer of resurrecting him.

Oh god shut the fuck up

How dare you remind me of that.

:(

The entirety of Flycatchers tale in 1,001 Nights of Snowfall.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fables: The Last Castle. The final battle scene.
    Poor red-cross knight.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Some of the best art and coloring I've seen in memory, in Runaways volume two issue 18.
    Runawaysv2-018-18.jpg

Dear Lord yes. That page was magnificent.

Also, the end of House of M got me for some reason. It was just a simple "No more mutants" that just made you go "OH SON OF A-". Good stuff.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    After reading it, I would say Black Summer 0 is pretty damn powerful. The press conference, I mean.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kingdom Come is made up almost entirely of scenes like that, but if I had to pick one it would be...

"Shazam. Shazam! SHAZAM!"

and the page afterwards showing the utter destruction.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    In Xmen: the 198 there were a ton of good scenes... for example...
    Issue 1: Starts in a volcano with two lovers who are immune to fire, until M-Day. They are actually inside the volcano flying, having just kissed passionately, and one suddenly drops to his death.
    and
    The entire issue 5 is filled with great pages, like Mr. M being killed with a combo attack by a few different mutants.
    finally...
    when the chips are inserted into the remaining 198, and it shows the government taking over all of the mutants when they begin to become dangerous. It reminds me a lot of classic sentinal style x-men hatred that only the government could provide.

current
    Last weeks uncanny X-men, when the sentinal is about to destroy the mutant who snuck onto the schoolgrounds, and storm appears, throwing lightning at the machine and stating. "This mutant is now under the protection of Xavier's school, and if that is not reason enough then he is also under protection of the Queen of Wakanda (diplomatic credential), and temporary member of the Fantastic Four (all homo sapien superteam)" Storm is such a badass now.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I personally liked in Star Wars: Tales, the one panel near the end of "Thank the Maker", which had Vader's pressing his helmet against C-3PO's decapitated head on Cloud City. I thought that panel spoke volumes.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

SpiderManand911EA.jpg

Oh god that was so dumb.

"Yeah maybe."

Doom I can understand. He's the leader of his own country so he knows how much it would suck to be attacked like that and might have SOME sort of sympathy.
    That and he's probably crying because it was the ultimate Reed Richards screw-job and he didn't think of it first.

Magneto is probably responsible for 20 times that much destruction.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As much as Blankets seems like a big emo wank fest, one scene really got to me.
    When they show the tree he drew on the girl's wall, which held so much meaning, then the very next panel is that picture being painted over. Farewell to first love and all
    I love that book completely.

A happy scene I loved was towards the end of Young Justice when
    Secret finally becomes a normal human again, and Darkseid is all "haha, you're not special anymore" and she's basically happy as hell. Not going to lie, that made me smile so hard

The end of Batman: No Man's Land where
    Gordon finally captures Joker, and he's debating whether to just kill him, since the Joker just killed his wife, and Batman has to talk him out of it. Then BAM! shot to the kneecaps. Awesome

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I personally liked in Star Wars: Tales, the one panel near the end of "Thank the Maker", which had Vader's pressing his helmet against C-3PO's decapitated head on Cloud City. I thought that panel spoke volumes.

Ohhhh yeah. Good call. That's an awesome Tale.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    The end of Batman: No Man's Land where
    Gordon finally captures Joker, and he's debating whether to just kill him, since the Joker just killed his wife, and Batman has to talk him out of it. Then BAM! shot to the kneecaps. Awesome

I hated that so much.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Transmet #8
    MARY.jpg
    MARY2.jpg

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Young Justice #15

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    They're actually going to print the second installment of Seaguy "The Slaves of Mickey Eye".
    Morrison held 52 hostage for it.

I love you.

Here's another favorite sequence of mine from Spider-Man's Tangled Web. It's the conclusion to Flowers for Rhino, a take on the Flowers for Algernon story that follows the character of Rhino as dissatisfaction with his dull wit drives him to undergo an experimental surgery that increases his intelligence.

Unlike the original story, though, the flaw is not in the impermanence of the procedure's effects, but rather the continued development of the subject's mind afterwards.
    TangledWeb06-17.jpg

TangledWeb06-18.jpg

TangledWeb06-19.jpg

TangledWeb06-20.jpg

TangledWeb06-21.jpg

TangledWeb06-22.jpg

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Grundy's death in JLU

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll second the "Shazam!, Shazam, SHAZAM!" moment of Kingdom Come.

Another of my favorite moments is in Red Sun:
    "Why don't you just put the whole world in a bottle, Superman?"

Mace1370 on