As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should games feature characters that are bisexual/homosexual?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    although I did like two non-stereotypical gay characters in The Longest Journey
    Three, technically. There's a cop guarding that one crash site and you can make April try to flirt with him and he just replies "Sorry, ma'am. I'm gay."
    Who's the third then? Besides April's landlady and the cop? I don't remember ever meeting the landlady's partner.

Glal on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    If the rest of the writing in the game deems it appropriate, sure.

But I emphasizing a protagonists sexual orientation one way or another would just depreciate the value of the game.

EDIT: The only exception I would make to this would be games like kotor. With all the decisions you could make throughout the game, I was pretty surprised all the relationships were kept heterosexual.

Supposedly Bioware tried to slip a lesbian romance into the game, but were curbed by Lucasarts. There's no reference to homosexuality anywhere in Star Wars.

Star Trek did the same thing. The Next Generation writers tried several times to introduce gay characters and stories into the series, and got smacked back down by the producers who were either homophobic or terrified it would affect ad sales or something. They managed to slip that one 'hermaphrodite' story in, but that was about it.

I am hoping for some good gay characters in Mass Effect.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Re: The OP: Sure. Why shouldn't they?
    This is what I think the question ought to be, just because.

And also because I think saying "video games should have gay characters" sounds like asking for a heavy-handed gay character to get forced in there just for the sake of, as Fencingsax put it earlier, "look at this gay character! We are so progressive because we have this gay character!"

I think the story about shooting down Bioware's plan for a gay character helps puts the should in a different light.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    although I did like two non-stereotypical gay characters in The Longest Journey
    Three, technically. There's a cop guarding that one crash site and you can make April try to flirt with him and he just replies "Sorry, ma'am. I'm gay."
    Who's the third then? Besides April's landlady and the cop? I don't remember ever meeting the landlady's partner.

Yeah, you meet her. I'm sure I remember talking to her at the beginning of the game, and she's in the scene if you don't go in to the cafe at the end of chapter one.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RPG's for the win. The gay population runs in at about 10%, so lead characters that are gay are going to be few and far between just because gamemakers are going to want to target the largest section of the gaming population.

RpG's though are a different breed. In customizing your character, which is becoming more and more indepth as time goes on, should certainly have that as an option. Someone already mentioned Fable, and I thought that was a pretty progressive approach, where you could have whatever kind of relationhip you wanted, but there were fewer gay NPC's to choose from, wheras there were a lot more options if you were straight. I think this is reflective of the real world, where your selection gets trimmed a bit due to one's sexuality.

I think it's great to have as an option, a real, fleshed out option like any other. Male and female. Personally I'd like to have more customization for leads in all games. It's sad you can't play a girl in GTA for example, even though SA was basically a big game of 'dress-up' with guns and cars. I think male centric imagery would help even the score a bit (well oiled whatevers), and open up play experiences to male and female sexualities, whatever bodies those happen to be in.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007

But I emphasizing a protagonists sexual orientation one way or another would just depreciate the value of the game.

EDIT: The only exception I would make to this would be games like kotor. With all the decisions you could make throughout the game, I was pretty surprised all the relationships were kept heterosexual.

Supposedly Bioware tried to slip a lesbian romance into the game, but were curbed by Lucasarts. There's no reference to homosexuality anywhere in Star Wars.

Except that Luke is a total homo.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Final_Assassin_42Final_Assassin_42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think so-mostly because it's a fact of life, partially for the sake of realism.

Are you saying that we should somehow be able to recognize them?
    You apparently think that all gays and bisexuals are eminently noticeable by their appearance.
    I want to go on a rant here but I think that I should let you clear up your thesis.

Did I say that? Did I say that it's easy to pick homosexuals or bisexuals in a crowd? I didn't. Don't put words in my mouth.

It's something a friend of mine asked me and a few of my gamer buddies-I thought it would be interesting discussion fodder. Had I known that somebody would try to blindside me, I might've reonsidered.

Final_Assassin_42 on
    In memoriam; Douglas Adams-1952-2001.
    I frag, therefore I am.
    Just once, I'd like to be able to go on XBL, and NOT be called a mother-fucker.
  • Options
    Final_Assassin_42Final_Assassin_42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

Watch the Robot Chicken Star Wars special to see the truth.
    He isn't a homosexual, he's a redneck. He slept with Leia.

And there is a small bit of lesbian love in KOTOR.
    if your character's female, Juhani may still fall in love with you.

Final_Assassin_42 on
    In memoriam; Douglas Adams-1952-2001.
    I frag, therefore I am.
    Just once, I'd like to be able to go on XBL, and NOT be called a mother-fucker.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Jandaru wrote: »
    but yeah, no one would want to play as a gay dude. video games are marketed to youngish men, and who do they want to bang in the virtual world, busty prostitutes or toned twinks?

You're exaggerating for effect, right? You know the gays like playing games too, right?

I'm absolutely certain that Eddy knows that the gays like video games too.

good call feral!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    While the NWN 1&2 are mediocre games, it's great fun to get a genderless mod and gay it up with Casavir. Isn't that half the fun of role playing games anyway? Taking on another personality or even gender and orientation?

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sexuality is something that's rarely if ever particuarly important to videogames aside from a few perfunctory girlfriend imperiled sub plots tossed in along the way.

So, I mean....I can understand the question, but it's almost a non issue. I'm pretty sure there's a good number of videogame protagonists you could just as easily pretend are gay, if only for the utter lack of proof to the contrary.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    master_ellenSMALL.jpg

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    master_ellenSMALL.jpg

She actually looks pretty good in that suit.

Is she gonna seduce Samus?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Maybe.

I stoled the image from gaygamer. I giggle every time I see it. Not so much because I think it'd be funny if badass Master Chief was a woman, but the idea of all the frat-boy types who obsess over Halo screaming at the big reveal.

God I would die laughing.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gay characters should only appear in games as the result of a genetic algorithm; not because a programmer chose it.

Yar on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

With a wife and a kid?

Furu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »

With a wife and a kid?

I don't remember that part of the movie.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007

With a wife and a kid?

I don't remember that part of the movie.

The books that take place after the movie are official canon.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    I'm replaying Fallout 1 at the moment, and just started noticing the character models. Ok, you're too far zoomed out to notice much more than skin colour, but you've got either white or black (or green, teehee!), and there's no black women. None. And only one black male character model (there may be a second one in the Brotherhood, but I haven't gotten that far). The rest are all honkies (with a wide variety of appearances), and the males outnumber the women even in NPCs. I'm like okay, does having no melanin or tits render you more resistant to radiation? Shouldn't there be some kind of handmaid's tale thing going on if women are so rare? Oh, and the only fat dude was a baddie. Super progressive! I recall it improving a little in the sequels, but not by much.

The mayor of the most prosperous city in your travels that you ever met was a black woman. And I can kind of seeing there being a white-male increase due to the government handpicking one thousand people for each vault, and the Enclave are a bunch of assholes, so it's not a HUGE stretch of the imagination.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Gay characters should only appear in games as the result of a genetic algorithm; not because a programmer chose it.
    Huh?

Glal on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It seems that every other JRPG has a main character who's some young kid possessing of some ancient power. Nobody will trust him because he's just a kid, and this always becomes a frequent plot element. "Ha ha ha!," the big bad guy says, "The great hero is a little boy? This will be easy!" Then our hero the little boy jumps and stabs him through the face with the Master Sword.

I'd love to a see a game where the main character is gay. Not necessarily flamboyantly, stereotypically gay. Just... he prefers other boys. And he doesn't make a big deal out of it. But everybody else does. "Ha ha ha!" the big bad guy says, "The great hero likes other boys? This will be easy!" Then our hero the fag jumps up and stabs him through the face with the Master Sword.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That would be pretty awesome.

Especially if done in a really classy way.

Finally the androgyny will make sense.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It seems that every other JRPG has a main character who's some young kid possessing of some ancient power. Nobody will trust him because he's just a kid, and this always becomes a frequent plot element. "Ha ha ha!," the big bad guy says, "The great hero is a little boy? This will be easy!" Then our hero the little boy jumps and stabs him through the face with the Master Sword.

I'd love to a see a game where the main character is gay. Not necessarily flamboyantly, stereotypically gay. Just... he prefers other boys. And he doesn't make a big deal out of it. But everybody else does. "Ha ha ha!" the big bad guy says, "The great hero likes other boys? This will be easy!" Then our hero the fag jumps up and stabs him through the face with the Master Sword.

I think you actually just invented the only way imaginable to destroy even more goodwill among the 13-15 year old post Wind Waker crowd.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think you actually just invented the only way imaginable to destroy even more goodwill among the 13-15 year old post Wind Waker crowd.

Yeah, that's the problem. Make a main character gay (without him being comic relief, a'la the shopkeepers in Shadow Hearts Covenant) and you've basically fucked your chances of snagging the homophobe market, which I think is a much larger market than the gay market, at least in the US.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    This is what the yaoi fan market is for.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yaoi fans are pretty much all emotionally stunted teenage girls with overly romanticized visions of homosexuality.

So probably not your target game-playing audience.

Furu on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I would play this game.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How many games have black main characters?

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heterosexual male nerds are pretty much all emotionally stunted teenage guys with overly romanticized visions of lesbianism.

That's not the question to ask, Gnasty, considering how many of the games are made in Asian countries which have mostly been exposed to the US and Europe.

It's more a matter of how many of those have been something other than a stereotype. Voodoo and gangsters and so forth.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think the other problem here is that most videogame storytelling, aside from a few RPGs, is much too blunt and clumsy to elegantly incorporate aspects of someone's sexuality particuarly well.

Imagine if the people responsible for Gears of War had decided to make its protagonist openly gay. Imagine, for a brief and hideous moment, what that might have been like.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Heterosexual male nerds are pretty much all emotionally stunted teenage guys with overly romanticized visions of lesbianism.

Your analogy completely falls apart when "overly romanticized" is pretty far from the general view of lesbianism.

Either way, we're not exactly wrong, are we?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bad Kitty wrote: »

I would play this game.

I would play this game and buy copies for all my friends.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

Almost none, unless the black character is either:
    a hood gansta
    a basketball player
    one of several selectable characters

I also wouldn't mind more female main characters a'la Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. She's not androgynous, but she's not a big-titted playboy bunny in a metal bikini either.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    I think the other problem here is that most videogame storytelling, aside from a few RPGs, is much too blunt and clumsy to elegantly incorporate aspects of someone's sexuality particuarly well.

Imagine if the people responsible for Gears of War had decided to make its protagonist openly gay. Imagine, for a brief and hideous moment, what that might have been like.

I...don't think anyone's sexuality had anything to do with anything in that game, so why would it ever even come up?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I've played plenty of games with good storytelling. God of War, Disgaea, Odin Sphere, and the Silent Hills come immediately to mind. Sexuality was a major or minor part of all of these games.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Change romanticize to sleazify or something.

--

It's really just a matter of a more limited audience. But Asian countries which seem to be more comfortable with homosexual characters won't be freaking out that much, and there are a decent number of people who would play it in Western countries.

If done well, -I'd- play it. Even though I want to set fire to Angel Sanctuary.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I...don't think anyone's sexuality had anything to do with anything in that game, so why would it ever even come up?

Well, that wasn't really the point. It's more the fact that the game is a pretty good example of what passes for storytelling in the mainstream videogame market, which is to say, yes, you're correct in that not only is sexuality pretty irrelevant, but also, if it had been, it probably would have been at best, really, really awkward.

Also, Feral, I'm not sure I follow with God of War. I mean, yes, I recall sexuality insofar as there were titties bouncing around, but that doesn't really indicate a particuarly graceful or tasteful implementation of sexuality.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Well, Angel Sanctuary sucked horribly and that had nothing to do with homosexuality or anything beyond the show just being shit.

Furu on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »

Almost none, unless the black character is either:
    a hood gansta
    a basketball player
    one of several selectable characters

I also wouldn't mind more female main characters a'la Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. She's not androgynous, but she's not a big-titted playboy bunny in a metal bikini either.

Yeah. Games are pretty bad about everyone except for straight white males. See also: movies, TV (although TV is pretty good about women).

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Shoehorning gayness into a non-sexual character wouldn't make any sense. But if a character's sexuality is going to be portrayed anyway, why not on occasion reverse that sexuality and make it gay or bi?

So take Silent Hill for instance. All of the characters in Silent Hill have tortured backstories; rape and molestation are occasional themes. What if one of the tortured main characters had psychological trauma from being abused by his own father after coming out of the closet? That would be pretty powerful and fit with the franchise well.

Feral on