As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SSB Brawl Thread: And the word "armada" refers to a large fleet of ships, of course

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A Mario Galaxy stage would be awesome, just a sphere, right? The only way to smash someone off the stage would be to smash up. Otherwise they would just fly through the air around the sphere a couple times.

Oh man that would be so much fun. And hilarious.

Not necessarily, sure this would happen when you were at low damage, but the higher the damage, the faster you travel, so one may eventually make escape velocity...

Its too much to hope for, I say PEACH tonight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A Mario Galaxy stage would be awesome, just a sphere, right? The only way to smash someone off the stage would be to smash up. Otherwise they would just fly through the air around the sphere a couple times.

Oh man that would be so much fun. And hilarious.

Not necessarily, sure this would happen when you were at low damage, but the higher the damage, the faster you travel, so one may eventually make escape velocity...

Its too much to hope for, I say PEACH tonight.

Oh man, that would be great... fly around the sphere like 20 times before launching into space.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Or you reach orbit speed and can only escape by someone hitting you as you fly by..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Or you catch fire from the friction of the atmosphere and become a burning, screaming ring around the planetoid, blurred and leaving a greasy trail of smoke.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going with ZSS profile.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Or you catch fire from the friction of the atmosphere and become a burning, screaming ring around the planetoid, blurred and leaving a greasy trail of smoke.

Until you break up into brilliant meteorites.

GAME!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A Mario Galaxy stage on a planetoid would be damn annoying. Since Smash is 2D it would basically have to be a circle that you can walk all the way around. Everything you shoot or throw would go shooting off into space, probably missing everyone because you're on a damn circle and they can't be standing on the same level as you. Also, your controls would be troublesome. Okay, I'm at West and I want to head towards North so I push up. Shit, no, I just jumped. Right? Okay, no, I'm running back towards the bottom.

If they did something based on Galaxy, sure, cool. A planetoid level though I just don't see working well. Then again, I've always found planetoid gameplay to be awful.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    Anyone who pays for IGN Insider should be kicked in the scrote.

I have it free because Comcast gives it and Fileplanet away to anyone that's subscribed to their higher speed cable internet service. :D

It helps...a little. Not worth it though.

they do? where does it say this.

I wish to know more about this as well.

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasion/sales/

http://gameinvasion.comcast.net/gameinvasion/setup/

:)

awesome, thanks man.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Joon wrote: »
    A Mario Galaxy stage on a planetoid would be damn annoying. Since Smash is 2D it would basically have to be a circle that you can walk all the way around. Everything you shoot or throw would go shooting off into space, probably missing everyone because you're on a damn circle and they can't be standing on the same level as you. Also, your controls would be troublesome. Okay, I'm at West and I want to head towards North so I push up. Shit, no, I just jumped. Right? Okay, no, I'm running back towards the bottom.

If they did something based on Galaxy, sure, cool. A planetoid level though I just don't see working well. Then again, I've always found planetoid gameplay to be awful.
    I'd imagine items being immune to flying out into space when you throw them upward. The same way they're immune to flying out of the boundaries of normal stages. And I can't imagine you would be able to throw an item hard enough to make it fly out of the stage if you threw it left or right.

I still really want a stage from Mario Bros or Kid Icarus that wraps around.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tonight's gonna be Kirby's Dream Land... just you wait and see.
    I'm gonna be disappointed again.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    domitedomite __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Forgetting for a second who you guys want to be added to brawl, what third party charicters do you think really have a good chance?

I would guess Sonic and Mega Man.

domite on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I still think Sonic is near-definite.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    domite wrote: »
    Forgetting for a second who you guys want to be added to brawl, what third party charicters do you think really have a good chance?

I would guess Solid Snake. Oh wait! He's already in it!
    Realistically, I doubt that any others will be added. We would have heard something. It's possible but I'm not holding my breath.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Tonight will be Wario's Final Smash.

Something poop related.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I want Ryu (NG) or Leon.
    Leon's not realistic though ;;

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bet they'll talk more about airbrone fighting. Wasn't that a major gameplay element for Brawl?

If not, I'm leaning towards music

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

Realistically, I doubt that any others will be added. We would have heard something. It's possible but I'm not holding my breath.

Didn't the creator say they were planning on addng 1-2 more?

domite on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    skeldare wrote: »

Didn't the creator say they were planning on addng 1-2 more?
    Searching the web, I cam across this.

"Nintendo hopes that Snake's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl will encourage other publishers to allow their characters to join the Smash Bros. line-up, and is already actively negotiating for the rights to include at least one other non-Nintendo character. Both Sakurai and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto have stated that Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog is the character that Smash Bros. fans have requested the most and... well, it's hard to type these words with our fingers crossed!"

This was from Tips and Tricks magazine from August 2006 I believe.

Like I said, it's not impossible but I'm not holding my breath. Though if another 3rd party character is added I'll gladly eat a cock.
    But not mine and maybe not any of yours

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    OT but I didn't know Tips n Tricks still existed. Never seemed like a particularly good magazine. Gotta say tho, the last time I read it was back in a time where I had little to no access to the internet, and they mentioned somewhere in the magazine FF7 coming to N64.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I doubt we'll get another character profile for a while, since we've gotten a lot of them over the last few weeks.

My guess is music. Specifically, Kid Icarus music.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm betting Music as well. For kicks I'll say a Mario piece.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Skel, I'm fairly sure that it's been candidly said there are 1-2 more 3rd party characters planned, and certainly this year - as opposed to August 2006...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Skel, I'm fairly sure that it's been candidly said there are 1-2 more 3rd party characters planned, and certainly this year - as opposed to August 2006...
    Oh I'm sure. I'm just not getting my hopes up. :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    pit's final smash

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to go with Character: Peach

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I'd imagine items being immune to flying out into space when you throw them upward. The same way they're immune to flying out of the boundaries of normal stages. And I can't imagine you would be able to throw an item hard enough to make it fly out of the stage if you threw it left or right.

If you threw an item left or right, it would fly all the way around the stage, possibly hitting you in the back of the head.

That would be so awesome.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I think he said that there would be no more than 3, but it's quite possible they only had Snake at the time. Can we please just stop referencing year-old Sakurai quotes?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No.

domite on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »

I think he said that there would be no more than 3, but it's quite possible they only had Snake at the time. Can we please just stop referencing year-old Sakurai quotes?
    It's kinda hard when there really aren't any recent quotes. :P

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

If you threw an item left or right, it would fly all the way around the stage, possibly hitting you in the back of the head.

That would be so awesome.
    Or, it would fly around the stage where you turn around and catch it!

You wouldn't have to get a friend to play Bob-omb catch with in Training Mode anymore.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Eh, relative gravity just wouldn't work in Smash. Even something like low grav would screw up balance too much. If they wanted to implement a planetoid level, it would have to be something like Brinstar Depths.

Zek on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Though an event match like the boss battle from Yoshi's Island on that little moon would be hilarious.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hope its a profile on Dr. Mario, but alas I figure my days of prescribing pain to my friends is over.

Brue on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, is it just me, or are all the announced maps so far really flat and boring? Sure they got a lot goin' on in the background, but the actual area the players are on is meh.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Voranth wrote: »
    Man, is it just me, or are all the announced maps so far really flat and boring? Sure they got a lot goin' on in the background, but the actually area the players are on is meh.
    i think they all look pretty sweet, myself.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm hoping we see some Raving Rabbids as an assist trophy. Kinda doubt it but it would be so much fun even if the only thing they did was look toward the screen and scream. Thanks you Brue's avatar for reminding me of that.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, is it just me, or are all the announced maps so far really flat and boring? Sure they got a lot goin' on in the background, but the actual area the players are on is meh.

That's what I've felt too. I like my stages with a bit more going on. I'm sure there are tons more stages coming though so I'm not too worried about it. A lot of the ones we've seen now just seem so bland.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's what I've felt too. I like my stages with a bit more going on. I'm sure there are tons more stages coming though so I'm not too worried about it. A lot of the ones we've seen now just seem so bland.

I totally agree, but I'm sure the team understands that what makes the game so fun for many people is all of the havoc and chaos inherent in a very high items mach on a constantly moving stage.

domite on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Brue wrote: »
    I hope its a profile on Dr. Mario, but alas I figure my days of prescribing pain to my friends is over.
    Doubtful, they're trying to keep clone characters out of the game.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My guess is...
    NEW SMASH BROS TRAILER

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D