As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SSB Brawl Thread: And the word "armada" refers to a large fleet of ships, of course

• Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It sounds like MIDI to me. Is this the version that will appear in the game? I mean, it's not a big deal, but the snare drum and the lack of dynamics really seem to indicate MIDI, and it's not quite as dramatic-sounding as some of the Melee tunes.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any word on if the music will be orchestrated by the time the game is released?

It's starting to feel a little late in the day for that to be the case, which is a little saddening

Edit: h5 htr

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought they said all the music in the game was going to be orchestrated.

bruin on
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    Faustum wrote: »
    Lame. And there isnt a single sentence in there that makes a good thread subtitle

"I love the way it conveys the atmosphere of an epic showdown."?

Check your volume settings is worthy of the subtitle.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    To be honest, none of the music updates so far have given me the goosebumps like alot of the melee music does/has. Especially not when compared to say, Fountain of Dreams.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked the version of that song they used in Melee a million times better. Oh well.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To be honest, none of the music updates so far have given me the goosebumps like alot of the melee music does/has. Especially not when compared to say, Fountain of Dreams.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. The orchestrated tunes I always think of are Fountain of Dreams, the original Melee theme, and the theme from the first Brawl trailer. Nothing has matched them so far, and the redone Melee theme update sounded tons worse than the original, if only for the digitized instruments.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i cant say ive been bowled away, but i also know that listening to a short, low-quality version through my headphones on a webpage instead of hearing the whole thing in all its glory while duking it out in-game are very different beasts, and also that nostalgia/familiarity are very powerful influences.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I'm not big on digitized instruments personally. Not when used where the real thing would work better.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    As long as they steer clear of digitized voices. A great deal of the drama in the final Twilight Princess battle was lost because of the digitized choir sounding like "Hurrrrrrrr hurrrrr hurrrrrr hurrrrrr..."

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    i cant say ive been bowled away, but i also know that listening to a short, low-quality version through my headphones on a webpage instead of hearing the whole thing in all its glory while duking it out in-game are very different beasts, and also that nostalgia/familiarity are very powerful influences.

Nostalgia is not required to make http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-tJT6tqlw better than http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music04.html .

Also, god, goose bumps EVERY TIME. And I never even played Kirby.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    ForgottenVariableForgottenVariable Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Houk wrote: »

Nostalgia is not required to make http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-tJT6tqlw better than http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music04.html .

Also, god, goose bumps EVERY TIME. And I never even played Kirby.

First off, that track is from Smashing... Live!, secondly, though the original track is also orchestrated it is one of only 4 or 5 orchestrated tracks on Smash Bros. Melee. Honestly, odds are that Brawl will have at least a few orchestrated pieces, matching Melee easily.

If the initial reports from the site are accurate, all the music will be orchestrated.

You have to realize that the actual performance by an orchestra would likely be the last step of the composition process, and so be unavailable at this time.

EDIT: To seem like less of a dick, I'd like to add that I also enjoyed Smashing...Live! quite a bit. :X

ForgottenVariable on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man. I don't care what you guys think. The Ocarina of Time Medley is spectacular, even though it isn't finished. The piccolo at the beginning playing the tune from the windmill is awesome. I really dig the grace notes. And the transition into Zelda's Lullaby is excellent.

Also: Ridley's Theme rocks so hard.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "And the word "armada" refers to a large fleet of ships, of course" for thread title.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Good idea.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    SirToasty wrote: »
    "And the word "armada" refers to a large fleet of ships, of course" for thread title.

Probably too long.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Probably too long.
    Seems to fit.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Probably too long.

So is your face.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »

Probably too long.

So is your face.

Sorry, the correct answer is "That's what she said."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »

Probably too long.

So is your face.

Sorry, the correct answer is "That's what she said."

So is your face.

Forgive me.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's the MP3 file:

Star Fox: Space Armada - 64 Kbps, 22050 Hz, Stereo MP3 (zip) (376 KB)

For reference, the rest of them are here:

Smash Bros. Dojo!! Music, 1-4 - 64 Kbps, 22050 Hz, Stereo MP3 (zip) (2.6 MB)

And again, they're ripped directly from the Flash files so there's nothing I can do about the low bit- and sample rates.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure if it was the quality of the download, but I had a really hard time recognizing the song until about halfway through when the accented notes really come through.

This is a fantastic song, but this particular version needs a little work.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I look forward to seeing Totakeke in Smashville. I used to love watching him play, in Animal Crossing. >_>;

stage06_070713e-l.jpg

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty good, though I think I like Melee's arrangement better.

For the record, Kenji Ito (the guy who did this) is credited for "ROMANCING SAGA series /
    CULDCEPT SAGA" on the site.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So uhhh.. this thread is almost capped...

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've noticed a pattern in this thread.

Music update - Next day spent argueing about MIDI files vs Orchestrated. (despite having had this arguement 4 times already)

Item update - Someone inevitably pisses off the competitve players with the "Why no items" arguement

B Moves update - People are generally meh about this.

Final Smash update - 1 of 2 updates people all appreciate

New/Old Character update - 2 of 2 updates people all appreciate.

Edit: Also... woots I gots me a point!

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You forgot a few:

Stage update - Next day spent arguing about gimmick levels vs. Battlefield/Final Destination

Tutorial update - internet nerd rage

Game Mode update - 3 of 3 updates people all appreciate

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks zek.

Hey, can we get this small list on the front page, so people new to the thread can know if they're supposed to be bitching or not?

Oh whoops, one more:

Movie update - Dicks cumming, all of them, simultaneously, with super mushroom power-ups.

Kor on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm so glad they made a remix of the Armada song, was one of my favourites from Star Fox

Also, posting from my Wii.

Edid:...Movie.....Update?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The 15 second clip from E3, I assume.

Speaking of which: I'm liking that firecracker weapon.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I was happy to see the speed of Pickachu's Volt Tackle. I was afraid it would move around too slow, and be easily avoidable.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kor wrote: »

I was happy to see the speed of Pickachu's Volt Tackle. I was afraid it would move around too slow, and be easily avoidable.

I get the feeling you control it with the Wii remote pointer... or control stick if that isn't available.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I get the feeling you control it with the Wii remote pointer... or control stick if that isn't available.

That would be sort of difficult to do without a reticle.

I mean, either pickachu is moving as fast as he can towards the reticle, which could cause problems if you aren't pointing properly.

or

Pickachu is moving 1:1... which really isn't possible, as you could just shake your wrist really fast, back and forth until you've covered the whole screen 6 times over. :P

Kor on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I mean, either pickachu is moving as fast as he can towards the reticle, which could cause problems if you aren't pointing properly.

or

Pickachu is moving 1:1... which really isn't possible, as you could just shake your wrist really fast, back and forth until you've covered the whole screen 6 times over. :P

Or the fact that there are NO actual Wii specific controls in this game. (outside the menu, maybe)

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited July 2007

or

Or the blue ball Pikachu turns into IS the reticle. It could very easily move with a delay, simply tracking to where you are pointing, so if you point too fast or try to shake your wrist you will fuck it up and probably not hit anyone. Thems the breaks for being greedy.

Also I know they said no Wii specific controls... but how Wii specific is it when you could control it with the analog stick, too? Not too big of a departure... and I get the feeling they are going to try to get some Wii remote controls in there anyways considering the limited nature of the remote on it's own.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm sorry

I really am

I mean it's really not important but

I was happy to see the speed of Pickachu 's Volt Tackle. I was afraid it would move around too slow, and be easily avoidable.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    robingudmuzhchinyvtriko25_id.gif

A jew? Here?

No No, it's Pi-ka-chu!

(Robin Hood Confirmed!)

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

or

Or the blue ball Pikachu turns into IS the reticle. It could very easily move with a delay, simply tracking to where you are pointing, so if you point too fast or try to shake your wrist you will fuck it up and probably not hit anyone. Thems the breaks for being greedy.

Also I know they said no Wii specific controls... but how Wii specific is it when you could control it with the analog stick, too? Not too big of a departure... and I get the feeling they are going to try to get some Wii remote controls in there anyways considering the limited nature of the remote on it's own.

It's not going to happen dude. There's no motion control. Pikachu's final smash on the pointer would mean instant death to everyone on the screen, as opposed to moving around at a set speed with the stick.

Zek on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well damnit, tonight is going to be ZSS Profile, Because Ive guessed it enough times now.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »

or

It's not going to happen dude. There's no motion control. Pikachu's final smash on the pointer would mean instant death to everyone on the screen, as opposed to moving around at a set speed with the stick.

You don't know that.

Didn't you read my post? What is to keep them from setting a set speed with the pointer?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg