As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Insurgency

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I think unlimited riflemen is a bit too far, but having more than other classes makes sense to me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Unlimited riflemen wouldn't be too far if the other classes were actually worth playing. People don't want unlimited riflemen because they think everyone will play one. If that is the case then that really says something about the class balance and it is something that should be looked into.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Karn wrote: »
    Unlimited riflemen wouldn't be too far if the other classes were actually worth playing. People don't want unlimited riflemen because they think everyone will play one. If that is the case then that really says something about the class balance and it is something that should be looked into.
    Each class has at least something going for them and having unlimited rifles will make teams less diversified.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

There is NO REASON why anyone should use a shotgun over a rifle. Even in close quarters.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, right now there are only four classes not worth using at the moment (or usually aren't or people haven't gotten a handle on how to use their weapons yet, like the RPG, which you can actually kill with): the sapper, the engineer, the RPG gunner, and the Marine machinegunner. The shotguns need a boost since they're incredibly unreliable right now, I think the RPG is better than people think it is, but the class needs more than that and a handgun, and the Marine machinegunner is only useless because a bug is keeping him from actually reloading.

I don't think it will pose too much of a problem to get everything back in line. Since people die so easily anyway, I'd think a weapon being capable of killing as well as anything else (a shot or two) is balance enough.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait.

This mod just requires a game that supports source SDK?

I just checked the CS:S page on steam, it says it included the Source SDK

I think I'm in luck!

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    People don't like the Marine machinegun? I use it almost everytime I play USA. I can't stand how much screen is taken up by the M16's ironsights. Makes it hard for me to see so I don't use it.

Plus that machinegun is like laser accurate it seems like.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    finally installing now.
    Anyone wanna get a game going?

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    KungFu wrote: »
    People don't like the Marine machinegun? I use it almost everytime I play USA. I can't stand how much screen is taken up by the M16's ironsights. Makes it hard for me to see so I don't use it.

You uh... You can't reload it. Once your first belt of ammo is spent, that's it. You have to grab another weapon. It's going to be fixed in the patch whenever that's released.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh dear GOD.

Watch this and cringe.

People will do anything to ruin other's fun when they find an exploit.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    KungFu wrote: »

You uh... You can't reload it. Once your first belt of ammo is spent, that's it. You have to grab another weapon. It's going to be fixed in the patch whenever that's released.

I coulda swore I have reloaded it. . .

I must be wrong, since it is a confirmed bug.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What server are you guys playing on?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Each class has at least something going for them and having unlimited rifles will make teams less diversified.

Ah, but if each class had something going for it, then teams would be diversified anyway. The best example I have is RO. RO restricts every class except rifleman, and yet, people will always play the other classes, because the other classes are useful. The RPG class in this game, while not totally gimped, is kind of pointless seeing as there are no vehicles to destroy and what not. Shotguns, which I actually like, are extremely at a disadvantage most of the time, due to there very nature. And besides that, there aren't any locked doors in this game for me to blow open. Then there is the fact that even when in there element, they aren't actually more useful than a rifle anyway.

If most people want to play riflemen, it is because the game is currently balanced in a way where riflemen are the most efficient class to play. Sure the other classes function, but they aren't better than riflemen, and people want to play the class that is best because it is more fun to feel useful and successful in a game than it is to fail.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Urian is like the coolest guy ever.*

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Grenadier is very useful on the US side. Also, my favorite class to play is Corpsman, not Rifleman.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't remember what class it is, but I like the machine gun the most. It's just too bad it can't be reloaded, but I have only run out of bullets with it once.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That would be the Support class.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Why I like this mod so much.

When I played Battlefield 2 I loved the infantry combat. I thought it was fun and varied and had this great intensity with accurate weapons. After a while though, I realized that the weapons weren’t all that accurate, and that a lot of kills were just from luck more than skill. Also, although going around with a good squad capturing points was fun, I felt it was being overshadowed from other parts of the game. The vehicles took a lot of the game’s focus, there were some major balance issues, and things like Support units providing infinite ammo, or Medics providing infinite lives and health started to become annoyances rather than features.

Still, I wanted something that had good infantry combat that was intense. Intense, not because it was fast paced and you had to act quickly (like Day of Defeat Source), but intense because you had to use your head, and your skill to survive and move the game forward.

That’s why I like this mod so much. The guns are accurate and deadly. The levels are pretty well thought out and there’s lots of cover, but sufficient ground to run across to get from cover to cover. It’s that combination that makes it so enduring to me. I have to use my head, my eyes have to stay sharp. And one wrong move could mean I’m dead.

I’ve had some intense firefights in this game that haven’t been duplicated in any other game I’ve ever played. I’ve never had a situation before where myself and my enemy were both trying our hardest to stay behind out cover and peek out as little as possible to take shots at the other. Where I could call on a teammate to lay down some cover fire so that I could move up, otherwise I’d die.

I wouldn’t call the game fast paced; many other games are faster. But I would call it intense.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Someone said there was an option to make guns start out as fully automatic instead of semi-auto but I can't find that anywhere. Does it really exist?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's in the options menu somewhere. I noticed it as well.

Some of the US guns don't have a full auto mode though, only semi-auto and three-round burst.

Why would you want to start as full auto?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    Yeah, it's in the options menu somewhere. I noticed it as well.

Some of the US guns don't have a full auto mode though, only semi-auto and three-round burst.

Why would you want to start as full auto?
    So when I click and hold the mouse button it doesn't shoot once and get me killed. I just assume that since it's an automatic weapon with bipods and everything that it's automatic by default, although I've learned to hit the button when I spawn anyway.

Also, that doesn't work. It says it does but then it reverts. I wonder if anyone else noticed that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I generally keep it on single fire for long range and full-auto when i'm in close quarters.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I keep the support weapons on full auto because that's the only logical way to have them. I only fire in short bursts and in short to mid range anyway. I still like rifleman or INS squad leader the most, though.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    I keep the support weapons on full auto because that's the only logical way to have them. I only fire in short bursts and in short to mid range anyway. I still like rifleman or INS squad leader the most, though.

I agree about the support weapons. I also like to setup the tripod when I can. If I've setup the tripod I don't bother with firing in short bursts, I'll lay down suppression and cover fire so teammates can move about.

I haven't seen anyone really effectively use cover fire to suppress enemies. I think that once the patch is released and All Talk it defaulted to off we might see some better teamwork.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I played a small player match on Almaden late last night (like 6 people on each side) and both sides were communicating and working towards objectives really well. It was very satisfying fighting over the objectives instead of random people having firefights down the street and not knowing about the objectives.

Also, the only weapons so far I can stand to use are INS AK47's and the support AK version. Pretty much every other weapon has awful ironsights in my opinion. AK is perfect in that it takes almost no screenspace.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    This game is much better when you don't play on a 32 player server. 24 is the high end for me, after that there are just too many people and the attacking side can't leave their first spawn (for Push games)

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The FN FAL is the best weapon in the game. The very very very best because it's so awesome and the best.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And which class gets that?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The INS leader.

Also, shotguns aren't that bad if you fire them rapidly at close range. It's like they're made for firing from the hip.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, but that involves getting close, something that seems to be very difficult to do.

It's not worth the time, you have to be very sneaky, crawl or crouch a lot, and if you peak out like once, you're probably done.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh I'm not advocating it or anything, but it has it's use and it does it well. There's some maps that having a rapid fire small range area of effect gun is probably better than a gun that flies up when you release a short burst.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't like this game. The shotgun sucks. :P

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I hate you, Nailbunny.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Where are all the boxes? Don't they have boxes in Iraq?!

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    No, your information source must have been wrong. I know you think we said we had satellite imagery of boxes, but you were mistaken.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Hey, screw the FN-Fal.

I love the gun, but god damn if it doesn't have the worst sights in the game.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    I liked the scoped M4 best.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    I liked the scoped C4 best.

I know its just a typo, but that would be the best weapon ever. C4 + Scope? Look very closely before you bomb something!

(Its an M4, btw)

Raslin on

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, because no one answered this in the main steam thread, I'm gonna repost it here:

Every time I get on a server for Insurgency I get to play for like 3 seconds and then I get "Disconnect: ProcessUserCmds: Incorrect Reading frame (check sending and receiving code for mismatches)"

None of my other games do this, anyone know what's up?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's weird. Have you tried posting on the Insurgency forums? www.insmod.net

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png