Options

Confessions of a Gamer

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And KH2's Disney segments sucked.

A-fucking-men.

I actually enjoyed all of the heartdarknessheartdarknesslight stuff. I'd love a Kingdom Hearts with no Disney except for Donald, Goofy, and Mickey.

KH2's original content was in top form, but almost every Disney content was butchered in some way or another.
    Lion King? Scar's ghost.
    Mulan? Hun horde? Who needs that?
    Pirates of the Caribbean? PG!
    Little Mermaid? ....the horror

Just about the only Disney segment in KH2 done right was Tron, and that doesn't make up for all the nonsense.

Though, Hollow Bastion almost made up for all of that. Almost.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Q_PrimeQ_Prime Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i thought legend of zelda a link to the past was excessively long...

i cheated at phoenix wright... (some of the evidence they wanted me to present didn't make sense until i presented it so i used game faqs.. plus i hated detective work. i'm a lawyer god damn it! this isn't csi the game)

Q_Prime on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    Evangir wrote:
    Inane generalizations for the win! You know, you can say you don't like a game without insulting everyone who does. Halo fans aren't a mob of drooling fanboys.

Confessions, right? That's how I feel, and I'm confessing it. It bugs the shit out of me that games like Halo get money thrown at them because of the mindless throngs that flock to them, while more substantive or ambitious games get to languish in development hells or get cursed with poor sales. Yeah, not all Halo fans are that way, but it is because of those people that Halo is as popular as it is.

Again, you could have just said "I don't like Halo." That would have been enough. Why bother trying to start a flame-war by insulting people just because you don't agree with their tastes. Somehow I don't think the original intention of the thread was "Confess games you refuse to play, and insult everyone who likes them!"

It's the primary reason Halo puts such vitriol in me. If it weren't lauded as the greatest FPS ever made, if it didn't attract an immense amount of media attention, if it didn't justify a bunch of surface-level "hardcore" gamers there weren't much more than addicted 15 year olds, then I wouldn't dislike it so much.

If it received the amount of attention that I think it should have (renter, impusle buy when the price dropped), I wouldn't have said a thing about it.

Fixed. Couldn't you have just said that? I can understand disliking the hype because it deflects attention away from games that you think deserve it more. That makes perfect sense if you're not a fan. Just mentioning that makes more sense than pulling out the old "olol Madden/Halo fans are drooling morons" argument.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    The only JRPG I really have liked so far is Final Fantasy 10....which a lot of people seem to hate...so I don't know what that says about me, but oh well :).

It... well, it says that you have no taste, basically.

I can't stand Halo. It was generic FPS with an epic soundtrack, nothing more. Cut-and-paste level design hurt my head and bored the crap out of me.
    Also, Gran Turismo has always been awful.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it is in my opinion that all games become at least a little overrated after a while.

I love the KH series, MGS series, FF series.

But they are overrated in alot of ways.

And just for kicks, HALO 1 and 2 was painful to play, really. They gave me headaches, HALO 1 was okay on the PC, but HALO 2 on the XBOX was just unplayable, the level design of those games plain sucked.

Oh, oh, I've never played Fallout, or a Contra, or a Zelda, or a Metroid.

Now now, please, don't kill me.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Lion King? Scar's ghost.

Oh Jesus... that music... it still fucking haunts me. I was playing that game with a pair of musical theater majors and an accounting major that was an avid fan of Martha Graham (yes, to answer your question, they were all gay), and we had to mute the fucking television to get through that part.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think a big complaint that a lot of people have is the media attention that a lot of games get simply because of their big-budget status. It's the exact same thing that goes in the film industry: big movies get hyped beyond belief while little indie films actually provide a better experience.

The thing is that games like Halo and the like are meant to appeal to the masses, in an attempt to sell more consoles and consequently more games. However, is the problem the massive media attention resulting in a game hyped up to levels that it can't possibly live up to, or a game with absolutely no merit?

EDIT: I hate prepubescent children yelling obscenities in an attempt to sound intimidating through a tinny speaker which makes them sound even more childish and idiotic.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It was a good console FPS.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    And KH2's Disney segments sucked.

A-fucking-men.

I actually enjoyed all of the heartdarknessheartdarknesslight stuff. I'd love a Kingdom Hearts with no Disney except for Donald, Goofy, and Mickey.

KH2's original content was in top form, but almost every Disney content was butchered in some way or another.
    Lion King? Scar's ghost.

Just about the only Disney segment in KH2 done right was Tron, and that doesn't make up for all the nonsense.

Though, Hollow Bastion almost made up for all of that. Almost.

And Beast's Castle. Somewhat nonlinear level design, nifty bosses and enemies, and a plot that actually involves Organization XIII! It felt kind of like a KH1 world, and it felt good.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lion King? Scar's ghost.

Oh Jesus... that music... it still fucking haunts me. I was playing that game with a pair of musical theater majors and an accounting major that was an avid fan of Martha Graham (yes, to answer your question, they were all gay), and we had to mute the fucking television to get through that part.

:winky:

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote:
    Fixed. Couldn't you have just said that? I can understand disliking the hype because it deflects attention away from games that you think deserve it more. That makes perfect sense if you're not a fan. Just mentioning that makes more sense than pulling out the old "olol Madden/Halo fans are drooling morons" argument.

I dislike the game because it was a poor FPS in a high-gloss finish that received attention that it did not deserve. It rode a wave of popularity that existed purely due to the luck of its timing, right when gaming was starting to get attention from the mass market, and wouldn't have seen such a fervor over a shoddy sequel and a likely disappointing future if it hadn't.

How hard is that to understand? It picked up attention from people that weren't otherwise gamers, and it was their introduction to the hobby. I mean, why is it so difficult for people to understand why people like me resent its corrupting influence on the now-billion dollar industry? It's just like anything else that's an almost secretive, selective enjoyment for a small group of people that is quickly and irreversibly infiltrated by an immensely larger group of people otherwise unaffiliated with the community or hobby itself: it cheapens it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    the hobby is more mainstream now then ever and your personal hatreds will do nothing to stop the whole industry. It's getting more involved with digital micro payments and in-game advertising because game developers simply are spending more money on developing games. They also want to attract new gamers for a higher profit to pay for the expensive games they've made.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote:

I dislike the game because it was a poor FPS in a high-gloss finish that received attention that it did not deserve. It rode a wave of popularity that existed purely due to the luck of its timing, right when gaming was starting to get attention from the mass market, and wouldn't have seen such a fervor over a shoddy sequel and a likely disappointing future if it hadn't.

How hard is that to understand? It picked up attention from people that weren't otherwise gamers, and it was their introduction to the hobby. I mean, why is it so difficult for people to understand why people like me resent its corrupting influence on the now-billion dollar industry? It's just like anything else that's an almost secretive, selective enjoyment for a small group of people that is quickly and irreversibly infiltrated by an immensely larger group of people otherwise unaffiliated with the community or hobby itself: it cheapens it.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of corrupting influence you think it's had on the market.
    I mean, isn't it a main priority for the entertainment industry to attract new customers and a new market audience. They definitely succeeded in that regard. And what do you mean by people like you? It'll help shed light on what exactly you're talking about.

BTW, this thread is for confessing in a non-hostile environment games that maybe you haven't liked. Explanations are welcome and encouraged, but posts made in a provocative manner bordering on hostile aren't welcome. Discussion is encouraged and I'm interested in hearing different sides of the argument.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote:

I think we get it. You don't like it. That's wonderful. But once again you're overgeneralizing unnecessarily. Shall we just drop it instead of turning this into the oft-repeated Halo Wars?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I muted the entire Little Mermaid level when I revisited it.

It helps.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I don't really get Crackdown. I played through the demo but it seemed like a really boring sandbox world with nothing really interesting. Is the demo a pale reflection of the full game?

unpurposed on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »
    I don't really get Crackdown. I played through the demo but it seemed like a really boring sandbox world with nothing really interesting. Is the demo a pale reflection of the full game?

No...no it isn't.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Not really. They are largely the same.

Edit: first time I got beaten to a reply and it had to be by a minute too. =(

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to become the most hated man on these forums...

I fucking hated Shadow of the Colossus.

There, I said it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Everything Halo did was done better on the PC 2-4 years before

GameHat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote: »

The demo is fairly limited. You only get a taste of the easiest of the three gangs (which are generally uninteresting), and your powers increase at an accelerated rate, which takes a lot of the fun out of powering up. The game is completely reliant on making your own fun though. I would recommend trying the demo in co-op, and if you're still not convinced, you probably won't like the full version.

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

i can see that but

shadow of the colossus? that's like hating free cake

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate cake.

EDIT FOR TOPIC: Shmups are terrible, terrible games.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

i can see that but

Bah.

Free cake is overrated.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate how free it is. Like they couldn't find a way to charge money for cake?

I mean, come on.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    unpurposed wrote:
    I'd be interested to hear what kind of corrupting influence you think it's had on the market.
    I mean, isn't it a main priority for the entertainment industry to attract new customers and a new market audience. They definitely succeeded in that regard. And what do you mean by people like you? It'll help shed light on what exactly you're talking about.

The influence is that this new market has more money, and it's clear what attracts their money. Big developers are more interested in that money than the money of the smaller and splintered populations. Sure, it's good for the industry when talking about incomes and stock prices and such, but the core constituency of the industry, due to its size, is going to be left behind in favor of this new market. It's not pulling them into the gaming hobby, its adapting the hobby to their tastes, their preferences.

Myself? I've been here almost since the beginning. I built my first Apple II when I was something like 11 or 12 from parts I bought out of an old electronics liquidation outlet in Dayton, Ohio using a set of blueprints I found in a magazine. That's not a requirement at all, and many people have completely different stories, but generally people that have had gaming as a part of their lives for a while.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

Oh yeah?

I hated the Dreamcast

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

i can see that but

What if it's litter cake?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    edited July 2007

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

Oh yeah?

I hated the Dreamcast

I hated the N64.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think a lot of people hated the N64. The only RPG on it was Quest 64 (I loved that game, actually) and it was a despicably bad RPG.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I thought that was sacriligious for a moment there.

I didn't out and out despise it, but I was way too caught up in the Saturn to pay it any mind besides playing Shadows of the Empire and KI:Gold at a friend's house.
    (I never touched Ocarina or Majora's; when I finally got one, it was for Starfox 64, Shadows, Blast Corps, and Rogue Squadron.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

Oh yeah?

I hated the Dreamcast

I hated the N64.

I killed Gunpei Yokoi. Beat that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think a lot of people hated the N64. The only RPG on it was Quest 64 (I loved that game, actually) and it was a despicably bad RPG.

Paper Mario.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Paper Mario.

Wonder Hippie is pretty wrong, because there is another one called Adrian Chronicles or something. It was the worst game imaginable, but it's an RPG, and it's on the N64.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Paper Mario.

Wonder Hippie is pretty wrong, because there is another one called Adrian Chronicles or something. It was the worst game imaginable, but it's an RPG, and it's on the N64.

There was also that Tactics Ogre game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

There, I said it.

No no, I'm about to be.

I didn't like Half-Life.

Oh yeah?

I hated the Dreamcast

I hated the N64.

I killed Gunpei Yokoi. Beat that.

I can't, but this can.

Check the date.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Paper Mario.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking things closer to traditional sword 'n sorcery RPGs or something. Paper Mario was great, but given that the last Nintendo system had Chrono Trigger, the barren wasteland of that genre was really disappointing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played God of War. I quit an hour into it, because I was tired of playing a Devil May Cry clone.

Hate me if you wish, it's the TRUTH!

urahonky on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Paper Mario.

Yeah, I guess I was thinking things closer to traditional sword 'n sorcery RPGs or something. Paper Mario was great, but given that the last Nintendo system had Chrono Trigger, the barren wasteland of that genre was really disappointing.

<3 I loved Quest 64. I wish more games would use the skill system. :)

urahonky on