Options

Confessions of a Gamer

• Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The first minute of the first hour runs 0:00:00 through 0:00:59.

Debate over.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm thinking of it in terms of military time. Midnight is 24:00 and a minute after midnight is 00:01.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wait...the thirty-third minute of the third hour IS 3:33. How did you get 2:32?

The first hour in a twelve-hour cycle is 12. Like, midnight is 12 AM and noon is 12 PM. It starts the cycle, so technically the second hour is 1 and the third hours is 2.

Similarly, the first minute in a sixty-minute cycle is 00. There are sixty minutes in an hour, right? If the thirty-third minute is 33, then the sixtieth minute is 60. But there is no 60 minute. It doesn't go from 1-60; it goes from 0-59. So just as the first minute is 00, the thirty-third minute is 32.

It's technically correct but also really nitpicky. THE THIRTY-FOURTH MINUTE OF THE FOURTH HOUR doesn't sound quite as good, and would actually probably confuse a lot of people when it turned out to be 3:33.

Agem on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Halo and Metal Gear Solid 3.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can count the number of NES games I've beaten on one hand. I never beat a single mega man game back in the day, and today I still call my brother to help me with some parts. We're both in our 20s now..

Also I never liked metroid or starcraft.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i can count the number of games i've beaten on my hands.

i've been playing videogames for at least 14 years

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cornell002 wrote: »
    Get any other Zelda game but Twilight Princess. Now.

Doom aged just fine

fixed and fixed :)

TP is a basically a fanservice game, not a good idea for someone who has refuse to play the games all these years. The best recomendation would be Majora's Mask, and not because is my favorite, but because is not what people would normally expect in a Zelda game, and from what I've read, Link's awakening would fit that category as well.

Since I posted I should confess something... I bash halo every chance I got without having played the game :oops:, I know, the worst thing to do, but I'm still shocked at its success, when its another doom clone, I have seen nothing that would disprove that. It also shocks me that FPS have evolved so little since then, I can't blame developers and players since the thing works, it is really fun, but all they've done is some tweaking here, some polish there, physics, vehicles, and a bunch of other stuff thats just more and more icing to the cake, but the cake is still the same. Variation and innovation are so limited that when someone does it like in Thief or Metroid Prime, people have to invent a whole different category for them, when by definition they are still FPS.

mantidor on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Can't stand the GTA series. Same as everybody else that can't, I find it shallow and repetitive.

Halo is crap. Always has been, and I fear it always will be. Superior console FPS'es existed before and after, but got nowhere near the amount of attention that the Halo series did. I was incredibly sad when the launch for Halo 2 was such a big event. I felt old and uncomfortable in my own hobby and pass-time because of the success of such an airy, empty game.

Gears of War was a decent game, but nothing more. It did some things right, but it didn't do anything as incredibly as its fan base would have you believe. Again, it made me feel aged and uncomfortable, and most of all, elitist.

I don't like my Wii. I feel like I wasted my money on it, and I just don't think it's going to be a viable system in the future. Already, the games are feeling monotonous, and I fear that nothing can make me like an FPS with that control scheme, no matter how much I enjoyed Metroid Prime. On a similar note, Super Paper Mario was a disappointment compared to the GC and SNES games in the series.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ubeyubey Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think Gears of War is really rather ugly. I'm sure it's fun to play, though.

ubey on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't stand racing games. And it really pisses me off when a "sandbox" game sticks me with a timed mission or a racing minigame.

NFL Blitz is the only form of video game football that interests me. Football is actually my favorite sport, but that's not saying much. I still rarely watch a game.

Now, I suppose those aren't really confessions. I'm simply not a jock, and I never bought into the idea that passing a ball around elevates a game to another cultural level deserving of society's adulation.

But here comes the confession. I hate waggle. I was on board when the Wiimote was used for swinging a racket in tennis, but I'm not waving it around like a sword in a dungeon crawler, or shooting things with it. Fuck that noise.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't really enjoyed any Zelda since Link to the Past.

I've seen them, but none shy of Twilight Princess have really appealed to me(I'll try it eventually).

And KH2's Disney segments sucked.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can't stand the GTA series. Same as everybody else that can't, I find it shallow and repetitive.

Halo is crap. Always has been, and I fear it always will be. Superior console FPS'es existed before and after, but got nowhere near the amount of attention that the Halo series did. I was incredibly sad when the launch for Halo 2 was such a big event. I felt old and uncomfortable in my own hobby and pass-time because of the success of such an airy, empty game.

Gears of War was a decent game, but nothing more. It did some things right, but it didn't do anything as incredibly as its fan base would have you believe. Again, it made me feel aged and uncomfortable, and most of all, elitist.

I don't like my Wii. I feel like I wasted my money on it, and I just don't think it's going to be a viable system in the future. Already, the games are feeling monotonous, and I fear that nothing can make me like an FPS with that control scheme, no matter how much I enjoyed Metroid Prime. On a similar note, Super Paper Mario was a disappointment compared to the GC and SNES games in the series.

I liked Super Paper Mario but I really didn't care for Paper Mario or TTYD. I really liked Super Mario RPG and the GBA/DS semi-sequels.

I see your point about the Wii. I still love mine but damnit they really need to release some original games for the thing that aren't party games.

I hate party games for the most part.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A-fucking-men.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Another vote for Halo, can't stand it. Played through the first one, thought it was terrible, played the second one at a friends house, and thought it was utter trash.

Don't like the characters, the story, and a lot of the online community can go drown themselves.

I've also never been much for the final fantasy games, however I've never been a JRPG guy.

Edit:

O yea, and Oblivion. No one needs that much character customization....ever. When it's easier to make the ugliest thing every created by mankind then to make a normal looking character, you have too many options. Not to mention I thought the world was just too open, my focus was quickly diluted and the game ceased to be fun.

Sherlok on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'd also like it to be known how much I fucking hate the word waggle. I also hate the name wii. I hate both of these words so much that it seriously makes me want one less, even though it's a lot of fun to play.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved black and white. i also love peter molyneaux(sp?)

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Halo is crap. Always has been, and I fear it always will be. Superior console FPS'es existed before and after, but got nowhere near the amount of attention that the Halo series did.

The things in Halo1 that I found cool were it being one of the first FPSs with great physics and AI for the time, and it being one of the first really robust console FPS's that brought all the stuff PC gamers had been experiencing for a while to console gamers.

Halo2 was pretty lame though -- with the exception of Xbox Live.

I'm curious about what console FPS's you have in mind when you say superior ones existed beforehand though, just out of curiousity. Not that I don't agree, I just can't think of any except stuff like Turok, Goldeneye and Doom 64 :).

Ant000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I'd also like it to be known how much I fucking hate the word waggle. I also hate the name wii. I hate both of these words so much that it seriously makes me want one less, even though it's a lot of fun to play.

That's exactly what fighting in TP consists of! Seriously, I had to revert to tapping the side of the remote with my middle finger to save my fucking wrists.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to not like FFVII but I think it was more because I hated the graphics. I've since grown to like the game but still question Square's sanity for choosing to use 3d when they clearly weren't ready to implement it.

I hate Legend of Zelda, the first one that is. I like all the other entries but the first one has more wallmasters than the others and I despise wallmasters.

I'd say I hate Viewtiful Joe but I've only played the second one which people say is inferior to the first.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Grand theft Auto is a boring series for me. The games don't keep my keep my interest for long.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you would have asked me back in 1995, I would have said:

I just LOVE JRPGS - especially FF! FFVI heralds a new age in gaming!

since then...meh

I made myself love FFVII because to me it was the first next-gen JRPG

I tried to love FFVIII because it was FF

I took a break because I thought that maybe I just didn't have time for a proper JRPG

I tried really hard to like FF:T but just ended up being disgusted at its imbalance

FFIX and FFX I enjoyed for a few hours, then hated that they didn't do anything different with the formula AND the story was meh.

FFT:A held my attention for maybe a week or two, then the same things that pissed me off with FF:T made me quit. Horribly imba, plus WTF is this "PLACE SETTINGS ON THE MAP - DO IT WRONG, U MISS ITAMS KEKE"

I bought FFXII because I was drunk. No joke, it's been 6 months or so now, it's still shrink-wrapped. I don't even want to bother being disappointed again.

...the only JRPG type game I've liked since FFVI has been Harvest Moon (and it's numerable sequels)

GameHat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ant000 wrote: »
    Halo is crap. Always has been, and I fear it always will be. Superior console FPS'es existed before and after, but got nowhere near the amount of attention that the Halo series did.

The things in Halo1 that I found cool were it being one of the first FPSs with great physics and AI for the time, and it being one of the first really robust console FPS's that brought all the stuff PC gamers had been experiencing for a while to console gamers.

I'm curious about what console FPS's you have in mind when you say superior ones existed beforehand though, just out of curiousity. Not that I don't agree, I just can't think of any except stuff like Turok, Goldeneye and Doom 64 :).

The TimeSplitters series, most notably. Highly comparable, offering Coop play and a pretty enjoyable multiplayer experience, but never receiving the kind of exposure that Halo did. Turok and Goldeneye definitely. The only thing Halo was was a heavily polished mediocre game. It served to prove to me that the majority of these new gamers were only attracted to glitz and shiny things, without much concern for depth or actual quality.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GameHat wrote: »
    ...the only JRPG type game I've liked since FFVI has been Harvest Moon (and it's numerable sequels)

plus, I'm ashamed to admit...

I love "The Sims" to death. Have every single expo to both the original and TS2. Probably why I enjoy Harvest Moon.

...am hardcore, I SWEAR

GameHat on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't stand "Take it in turns hitting each other" RPGs. FF7 was ok, but after that Phht.

I like my real time combat. If people stood in a line and said "Wait... Wait... Wait.. I'm gonna hit you now!"

***Hits***

"OK... your turn... do something!"

it would be a strange world indeed.

Kinda like Colonial Warfare....

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't beat Super Mario 64. That damn ice level is just so fucking annoying.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

The TimeSplitters series, most notably. Highly comparable, offering Coop play and a pretty enjoyable multiplayer experience, but never receiving the kind of exposure that Halo did. Turok and Goldeneye definitely. The only thing Halo was was a heavily polished mediocre game. It served to prove to me that the majority of these new gamers were only attracted to glitz and shiny things, without much concern for depth or actual quality.

I thought the red faction games on ps2 had some good things going on as well. Red faction 2 had dual wielding iirc, not to mention the vehicles and geo mod technology they both used.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Inane generalizations for the win! You know, you can say you don't like a game without insulting everyone who does. Halo fans aren't a mob of drooling fanboys.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't stand Goldeneye because I don't think it's that great. It's quite annoying when people brag about it and how fun it is, but I really cannot stand it.

Also, Chronotrigger is not that interesting to me. I've never been one to laud turn-based combat, simply because it seems to clunky and not very real to me.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous wrote:
    I thought the red faction games on ps2 had some good things going on as well. Red faction 2 had dual wielding iirc, not to mention the vehicles and geo mod technology they both used.

It was alright, what with the Geomod thing. Too many bugs and shortcomings in other areas, though. And RF2 was way too unintentionally cheesy and annoying to be taken seriously.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Then why not skip it? I'm pretty sure you can get enough stars from the other levels and hidden stars to beat the game.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hated FFXII because the story was complete trash after the Ghis arc. Also, the license board can go suck a cock because everyone ended up with the same abilities towards the end of the game. The gambits suck ass because they were made with 8 year olds in mind and never really let you do anything advanced, especially with black magic.

I also hate Metroid Prime. It has stiff controls, boring combat/enemies, and the method of storytelling is arguably one of the worst I've ever experienced. I understand you don't play Metroid for story, but scanning all that shit was mind numbing and pointless.

And though it wasn't "popular" like Halo and all these other series, Beyond Good & Evil couldn't have been a more average, bland game. The combat was way too simple, the characters uninteresting, the stealth aspect was boring and unrewarding, and the story was a joke. You could see the "twist" extremely early on, like from the intro of the game and you knew how it would be resolved. There was no suspense, no great mystery, nothing that deserved praise. It has about 2 nice music tracks....that's the only good thing I can say about it. Oh...the art direction is terrible.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote:
    Inane generalizations for the win! You know, you can say you don't like a game without insulting everyone who does. Halo fans aren't a mob of drooling fanboys.

Confessions, right? That's how I feel, and I'm confessing it. It bugs the shit out of me that games like Halo get money thrown at them because of the mindless throngs that flock to them, while more substantive or ambitious games get to languish in development hells or get cursed with poor sales. Yeah, not all Halo fans are that way, but it is because of those people that Halo is as popular as it is.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Grove wrote: »
    The gambits suck ass because they were made with 8 year olds in mind and never really let you do anything advanced, especially with black magic.

What the heck are you talking about?

I'm serious, what?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    titmouse wrote: »

Then why not skip it? I'm pretty sure you can get enough stars from the other levels and hidden stars to beat the game.

All of the other levels have have a mission that makes me want to kill Miyamoto. The water level with the pirate ship is boring to me and collecting those stupid red coins was the worst part of Super Mario Sunshine and also sucks in SM64.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote:

Confessions, right? That's how I feel, and I'm confessing it. It bugs the shit out of me that games like Halo get money thrown at them because of the mindless throngs that flock to them, while more substantive or ambitious games get to languish in development hells or get cursed with poor sales. Yeah, not all Halo fans are that way, but it is because of those people that Halo is as popular as it is.

Again, you could have just said "I don't like Halo." That would have been enough. Why bother trying to start a flame-war by insulting people just because you don't agree with their tastes. Somehow I don't think the original intention of the thread was "Confess games you refuse to play, and insult everyone who likes them!"

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    It took me 7 years to beat Ocarina of Time, and to date, the only two Zelda games I have finished were OoT and TP.

I have played EVERY Final Fantasy, got close to the end of four of them (IV, VII, IX, and X) but have only beaten one (X)

switzky21 on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Half-Life, 1 and 2: Terrible, boring games with slippery controls and no story to speak of.

Zelda: A decent series, but extremely overrated.

Kingdom Hearts: A button-mashing action game melded to a phoned in rpg plot. Yawn.

Mario 64: Sunshine was the better game, you guys need to stop fooling yourselves.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A-fucking-men.

I actually enjoyed all of the heartdarknessheartdarknesslight stuff. I'd love a Kingdom Hearts with no Disney except for Donald, Goofy, and Mickey.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    Evangir wrote:

Again, you could have just said "I don't like Halo." That would have been enough. Why bother trying to start a flame-war by insulting people just because you don't agree with their tastes. Somehow I don't think the original intention of the thread was "Confess games you refuse to play, and insult everyone who likes them!"

It's the primary reason Halo puts such vitriol in me. If it weren't lauded as the greatest FPS ever made, if it didn't attract an immense amount of media attention, if it didn't justify a bunch of surface-level "hardcore" gamers there weren't much more than addicted 15 year olds, then I wouldn't dislike it so much.

If it received the amount of attention it should have (renter, impusle buy when the price dropped), I wouldn't have said a thing about it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have never completed Zelda 1 and I have never even tried Zelda 2.
    There's also a lot of the games you people praise that I hadn't even heard of before I started reading these forums.

Peewi on