As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about drugs!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Makes you feel so good though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    redx wrote: »
    I really need to try E again

It is a bad drug to love.

It makes for a bad habit.

Sure it's a bad habit, but it's good fun every once in a while.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I thought it was OK, but the last time I did it I think it was cut with speed or PCP. D: That was an interesting experience, but not one I'd risk again.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The name is worth a double post though.

Methylenedioxymethamphetamine

Malkor on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

I'd like to try it.

It's not as safe as some people seem to think it is.

http://erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_neurotoxicity1.shtml
    Fellhand wrote:
    That what mushrooms are like for me. Everything is awesome and new and positive and it really seems like everything will work out and man that sky is blue and the grass is really really green. It's like eating a rainbow.

Cannabis sort of does that, for me at least. It makes everything more interesting, like you are seeing it for the first time. Its more of a sedative than a hallucinogen though.

I never really saw the point of taking strong hallucinogens, because I hallucinate every time I go to sleep, when I dream. Lucid dreaming is the craziest shit you are ever going to experience, and it is harmless. To each his own, though.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »

I'd like to try it.

It's not as safe as some people seem to think it is.

http://erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_neurotoxicity1.shtml

I'm well aware of what it does. But unless you abuse it, you're good. When I say I'd like to try it, I mean do it like once. If i like it, maybe twice a year.

A lot of the bad rep it gets is from a widely publicized study where monkeys brains got totally fucked up by mdma. Years later they found out it was actually methamphetamines. Oops.

geckahn on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

I thought it was OK, but the last time I did it I think it was cut with speed or PCP. D: That was an interesting experience, but not one I'd risk again.

well, speed is pretty common, and relatively harmless if you don't have a heart condition. I've had a lot of speedy pills, and almost prefer them to pure stuff.

I haven't heard much about PCP in stuff. Not that it would surprise me too much or anything.

It's not like it is perfectly safe, but little that much fun is. Doing it a lot can/will fuck you up some though.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Speed as in crystal meth? Is harmless? I'm pro-drugs but god, not that one.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not a fan of speed, especially when I'm not expecting it.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

no. not as in crystal meth.

They cut e and coke with speed all the time. It's pretty much harmless.

geckahn on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

They cut e with meth as well, and it's pretty much harmless in that respect. It's not like people will really know it's meth in there and have to find the stuff after. Like any drug it can't be that much worse for you if done in moderation and even if it is, still should be people's responsibility to choose for themselves.

djklay on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now that I think about it, I just don't like processed drugs in general.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thats whats good about weed or mushrooms. You look at it, you know exactly what you are getting. If something is off, you can tell instantly before you ingest it.

Anything that comes in a pill or as a powder... it all looks the same. How are you supposed to tell exactly what it is?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Before I caved in from my naive decision to avoid all drugs, I made the new limit at only organic things as drugs. This is my true limit.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Thats whats good about weed or mushrooms. You look at it, you know exactly what you are getting. If something is off, you can tell instantly before you ingest it.

Anything that comes in a pill or as a powder... it all looks the same. How are you supposed to tell exactly what it is?

On Miami Vice they used to have little plastic tubes with a bit of liquid in them, and they'd put the drugs in and if it turned blue they were good enough to confiscate.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Before I caved in from my naive decision to avoid all drugs, I made the new limit at only organic things as drugs. This is my true limit.

Honestly though it's actually an arbitrary place to draw the line. You're not actually any safer just because it's "natural". There's plenty of natural shit in nature that'll fuckin' kill ya.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, I know. I've watched Discovery Channel a lot... but I figure an arbitrary line is better at stopping me than no line at all. I mean, hell, I initially thought I would never do drugs in my life or drink until I was 21. Hahahahaha.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, I know. I've watched Discovery Channel a lot... but I figure an arbitrary line is better at stopping me than no line at all. I mean, hell, I initially thought I would never do drugs in my life or drink until I was 21. Hahahahaha.

I didn't start drinking until 6 months before I turned 21, didn't start cigarettes till a week before my 21st (some fucking stupid bitch decided that instead of waiting for my car to pass before pulling out of an alley, she should ram me and push my rear axle out into two parked cars on the other side of the road and I decided I wanted a smoke), and smoked pot for the first time when I was drunk enough to be persuadable a couple weeks after that (I waited until my buddy stopped trying to talk me into it, when he started refusing on my behalf rather than trying to talk me into it, I decided it would be okay to partake). There are things I won't ever do, but I'm not making a list of "only these things based on arbitrary-standard X" because that strikes me as being rather silly and deliberately dense. For the most part, though, I don't really want to do any drugs beyond what I've had so far, as the effects don't really appeal to me.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You're a lot smarter and more logical than me. Mostly I just try to generally avoid things unless I really want to... which is good because usually i dont mind being sober. I rarely ever get really drunk. I should listen to you people who are older and wiser.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »

I'm too afraid to try it. I just don't like the idea of seratonin being forced out of my brain and some of my friends that have tried it tell me that the next two or three days after they feel blah. I have trouble feeling things anyway and think it would be bad.

Typically I find that people who experience Blue Tuesdays just overdid it. Either they took unnecessarily high doses, an excessive number of back-to-back doses, stayed up too late, ate junk food or didn't eat at all, or dehydrated themselves. Or all of the above.

If you keep yourself down to the minimum amount necessary to achieve the desired effect, don't mix it with other drugs, and take good care of yourself otherwise, you will significantly reduce the likelihood of a post-MDMA depressive episode.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    In that case the best advice for the entire subject, potentially so good as to end this thread entirely, is this; research every drug you take before you take it. Period. I don't care if it's recreational, illegal, prescription, over-the-counter or what. Look that shit up before you stick it in you.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Heh... I started drinking when I was 14. Started smoking pot at the same age although didnt really get into it till I was about 16. I smoked weed before cigarettes.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    In that case the best advice for the entire subject, potentially so good as to end this thread entirely, is this; research every drug you take before you take it. Period. I don't care if it's recreational, illegal, prescription, over-the-counter or what. Look that shit up before you stick it in you.
    I like this advice. I read up so much stuff about marijuana before I took a single smoke. Luckily none of my friends in HS smoked at the time, so I had time to become smart and do things like that. Reading things is probably is good advice.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I would not call it 'harmless.' Taking amphetamines orally is not nearly as dangerous as smoking or snorting methamphetamine, for a number of reasons, but it's not harmless.

Primarily amphetamine is an inhibitor of the CYP2D6 liver enzyme which is the primary enzyme that breaks down MDMA. Small amounts of amphetamine can significantly increase the effect of any given dose of MDMA - not just the desired recreational effect, but likely the neurotoxic effect too. Also, we don't really know what MDMA does with the dopamine system yet... it probably does something considering its effects cannot be entirely explained by its known mechanism of action on serotonin. So taking it alongside another potent dopaminergic drug carries the possibility of additional neurotoxicity.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My general rules are: no on dissociatives (things like ketamine, nitrous, DXM), and no on cocaine, meth, and heroin

My thing against dissociatives is probably as silly as the whole "I only do organic drugs," but the idea of drugs that function by reducing signals rather than amplifying them just seems fundamentally not something I'm interested in.

Edit: Some wiking has informed me that salvia is a dissociative (albeit using a different mode of action that most of the other ones), and I would probably make an exception for that.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've smoked pot on more then one occassion, and abused a few medications. But never really had the desire to do anything else, tho' I considered acid for a fleeting moment.

Has anyone tried herbal supplements? I took "Red Dawn", an herbal enhancer, and I shit you not, was tripping balls for a good..five to six hours? It was an insane experience. I didn't hallucinate (or at least, I don't remember) but it was the single greatest high/drug-type experience I've had. Haven't gotten a chance to do it again.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a phase where I was into DXM... Back when it was possible to get it in powder form instead of drinking nasty shit. To me on low doses it was like alcohol. Dulls the senses when you just plain don't feel like being sober. I've never had any insights or benefits from DXM use like I have with other drugs. It's not even frankly all that enjoyable, and I'm not sure why I used it as long as I did. Probably was just trying to kill off my stash of the powder.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tobasco wrote: »
    Cannabis sort of does that, for me at least. It makes everything more interesting, like you are seeing it for the first time. Its more of a sedative than a hallucinogen though.

For me pot makes music sound better and things are more tolerable. I find that when I'm not smoking (such as now, I've decided to try to cut back a bunch) I get irritated with things more easily and I don't enjoy eating or television as much. This actually sucks for me a little because I've shed a lot of weight this year because of a stressful breakup and I need to kind of keep the pounds on. However, I find that since I haven't been smoking I also have more motivation and drive. I'm trying to find the happy medium that I lost when my friend died from ovarian cancer.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My general rules are: no on dissociatives (things like ketamine, nitrous, DXM), and no on cocaine, meth, and heroin

That's kind of my rule. Like I do pot and I've done mushrooms and I'm a bit on the fence about trying acid (70 against, 30 for). I'm a bit curious about DMT because Joe Rogan recommends it. The other stuff just kind of scares me and I like having that fear to keep me in check. Even moderation should not be used to excess.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like that Joe Rogan is your reason to do a drug.

not that I have a problem with it. it's just funny.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My thing against dissociatives is probably as silly as the whole "I only do organic drugs," but the idea of drugs that function by reducing signals rather than amplifying them just seems fundamentally not something I'm interested in.

It's not necessarily silly. It's your brain, you should get final say in which receptors you tweak and at what time. Avoiding NDMA receptor antagonists sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Feral on

• Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

It's not necessarily silly. It's your brain, you should get final say in which receptors you tweak and at what time. Avoiding NDMA receptor antagonists sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Well, what I mean is that it might have more metaphorical importance than actual physical/practical importance. I guess, though, that when it comes to these sorts of drugs those things can be one and the same.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    To those who haven't tried salvia:

You've got a 25% chance of flipping the fuck out. Also, salvia (as a high) is a wierd, semi-sorta-spiritual mindfuck that's thankfully over very quickly.

In short: In only lasts a few minutes, but those few minutes will fuck you the fuck up. I'd suggest listening to something soothing that isn't droning.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ive done salvia. Won't do it again, its too fucked up and wierd.

For reference, I've done mushrooms a lot and will do them again in the future. Not salvia though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Ive done salvia. Won't do it again, its too fucked up and wierd.

For reference, I've done mushrooms a lot and will do them again in the future. Not salvia though.

I don't know if it's the same thing for everyone, but it felt like my entire conciousness got put on a lower shelf... and somehow I felt the same way I do if I'm wearing wet clothes for too long in a dry place.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

I would not call it 'harmless.' Taking amphetamines orally is not nearly as dangerous as smoking or snorting methamphetamine, for a number of reasons, but it's not harmless.

Primarily amphetamine is an inhibitor of the CYP2D6 liver enzyme which is the primary enzyme that breaks down MDMA. Small amounts of amphetamine can significantly increase the effect of any given dose of MDMA - not just the desired recreational effect, but likely the neurotoxic effect too. Also, we don't really know what MDMA does with the dopamine system yet... it probably does something considering its effects cannot be entirely explained by its known mechanism of action on serotonin. So taking it alongside another potent dopaminergic drug carries the possibility of additional neurotoxicity.

Hmm. I did not know that. I took a psych class on drugs and my teacher knew next to nothing about mdma. I actually called her out on some shit she said about it in front of like 200 people.

But yeah, good to know. If/when I ever do e, its going to be molly.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I took a psych class on drugs and my teacher knew next to nothing about mdma.

Yeah, the thing about MDMA is that the more we learn about it, the more it finds ways to surprise us. The popular wisdom is that it works by forcing neurons to release serotonin into the synapses, and it's this free serotonin that causes the elevation of mood, like a fast antidepressant, right? Eh, not so much. Serotonin does not directly affect mood. A couple of examples: antidepressants tend to affect serotonin levels within 3-7 but it usually takes 14-30 for the mood-altering effects to take hold. There's a class of migraine drugs, the triptans (Imitrex is the most popular example) that cause a similar serotonin flush as MDMA that don't have mood-altering affects at all. (BTW, in some people, MDMA is a highly effective migraine abortive.) That's not to say that serotonin has no effect on mood, just that it's more complicated than simply "have serotonin, feel happy." There's some steps in between that we're missing.

Besides that, the A in MDMA stands for amphetamine, to which it has structural similarities. It has what's colloquially called an amphetamine backbone, and drugs with this backbone tend to affect dopamine and norepinephrine as well.

So, so far we know if affects serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. But even that doesn't explain why it causes heightened empathy and feelings of trust and warmth and cuddles in a lot of people. Plenty of drugs that affect dopamine and norepinephrine (notably, meth and coke) frequently cause selfish, antisocial behavior. The neurotransmitter that's usually associated with trust and cuddliness is oxytocin... So some researchers in Australia have been investigating that and have found, yes indeed, MDMA causes elevated oxytocin and oxytocin metabolite levels in the blood.

So it's quite likely that the serotonin has been a red herring all this time, and the primary behavioral effects from MDMA are actually based in oxytocin. Which doesn't help much, because oxytocin is not a particularly well-understood neurotransmitter compared to, say, dopamine or serotonin.

Feral on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    that's very interesting.

although cocaine gave me more warm feelings than selfish feelings. I could see the selfish coming once it's all gone and you aren't on it anymore, but when you're in it it was all good.

Never done E though so I can't compare it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I prefer E to cocaine. I don't like cocaine, actually. It didnt really affect my mood much.. just made me numb, both in a "blah" way and in a "I can't feel my face" way.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone seen the recent articles about the study that supposedly explains the whole "reefer madness" concept?

It's not the first time I've heard of pot affecting a small percentage of individuals in a psychologically harmful way; heard they can even do a blood test to see if you're vulnerable, as I recall.

But, you know. Internet.

Incenjucar on