As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Something innocuous

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Besides this being a trolling post and on the wrong forum, why is posting a spoiler -inside- the thread wrong?

Well, besides the rules post/forum especially for this stuff?

Skullo on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

If you guys really didnt like these kinds of threads you would completely not post and ignore them and set a precedent for them being switfly locked/banned/deleted rather than going on for 4 pages because mods arent online.

I can only assume then that you take some enjoyment in this kind of thread which I fail to understand. What is the fun in flaming some troll. Even if work is boring why does calling someone a fag illeviate that? Im serious, I dont understand.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Random thought just struck me. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but...
    Besides this being a trolling post and on the wrong forum, why is posting a spoiler -inside- the thread wrong? If you don't want to see a spoiler, no one is forcing you to click the thread. This is on the pretend assumption that any of us even know how a book that hasn't been released even ends. But really... Howard Stern got kicked off the air. Some people were against it, claiming if you don't like it don't listen to it, but others claimed they didn't have a choice but to hear it for 5 seconds as they scanned the radio channels and didn't like his language. On a forum, what's the excuse? You don't accidently enter threads.

Jigs up, guys.

Seriously on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's not.

In the Harry Potter forum.

A whole entire forum. Dedicated to Harry Potter.

You may post all the spoilers you want with the appropriate tags.

The people who posted here don't care about the spoilers you posted.

Hell, no one has even said the obligatory "OMG YOU FUCKING FAGGOT YOU RUINED THE BOOK BURN IN HELL"

Well, I technically just did.

But that dosen't count.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Sgt_BillDoorSgt_BillDoor __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Jokes aside though.

If you guys really didnt like these kinds of threads you would completely not post and ignore them and set a precedent for them being switfly locked/banned/deleted rather than going on for 4 pages because mods arent online.

I can only assume then that you take some enjoyment in this kind of thread which I fail to understand. What is the fun in flaming some troll. Even if work is boring why does calling someone a fag illeviate that? Im serious, I dont understand.

Dunno, basic human drive of aggression? Hard to find socially-acceptable vents at all times. Kicking dogs and beating wives is frowned upon now, go figure. Suppose it's nice to just be able to shout and vent and insult and be vile for a little bit when the rest of life doesn't allow for it.

Sgt_BillDoor on
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
    Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

Well, the appeal for me is to just get to post inane, off topic, responses. Gets me to chuckle, which is what I need at work. I mean, yeah, I could read through the thread about monkeys making fire, but I'd rather just make some jokes.

I think the general approach to things like this is similiar.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

Scarab. The point is, there really isn't much flaming going on here. I mean, there are people calling him lazy, but flaming, this is not.

Except for Wiggin.

But, he's got a standard to live down to.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's not.

Hell, no one has even said the obligatory "OMG YOU FUCKING FAGGOT YOU RUINED THE BOOK BURN IN HELL"

But that dosen't count.

So making a post in the wrong forum elicits this kind of drama?
    God forbid, what if I said I liked playing Zelda or Counter-Strike? Figure there'd be the same amount of hate?

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »
    shit guys he's two steps ahead of us at every turn

we're dealing with a professional here

THERE IS ONLY ONE HACKER IN THE WORLD WHO CAN SOLVE THIS

that pale guy from the movie The Core?

theSAVED's brother from MIT?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

Shut up, you. You're fagging up SE. D&D is that way ->

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

These are really the only kinds of threads I can post in.

D:

I am not what you would call a contributor.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jokes aside though.

Dunno, basic human drive of aggression? Hard to find socially-acceptable vents at all times. Kicking dogs and beating wives is frowned upon now, go figure. Suppose it's nice to just be able to shout and vent and insult and be vile for a little bit when the rest of life doesn't allow for it.

I dunno. I always think of that famous quote from that guy where if you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you.

In that I mean by flaming a troll so hard you yourself lower your own stature. I dont think higher of someone because they call someone else on the internet a fag, or a troll, or even an idiot.

Sure, what you posted was inflammatory and clearly grounds for a banning. I dont understand your reasons for posting it either. Maybe if people were less agressive towards trolls then trolls would slowly fade away. Seeing as a troll feeds on the hatred of others you think they would troll as often if people responded politetely or not at all.

Im curious in what 4 pages of flaming achieves. We know you are gonna get punished, but then again you acknowledged that this was something you were willing to accept by posting it in the first place. I think if anything you have 'won' this exchange in that you have lost nothing but everyone else has gained a little bit of stress perhaps a little bit of anger and posting flames on someone who clearly doesnt care at all about it.

Curious certainly.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Skullo wrote: »
    Well, the appeal for me is to just get to post inane, off topic, responses. Gets me to chuckle, which is what I need at work. I mean, yeah, I could read through the thread about monkeys making fire, but I'd rather just make some jokes.

Yep, and I get bored of making fun of trolls and newbies day-in day-out so I figured I'd try from the other angle this time, see if it's any more entertaining. Kind of is, because the trolls that usually post are too retarded to make any kind of replies or comments or anything. Kind of wish more trolls were like me, wouldn't drive me to making such posts... too bad I'll have to find another forum next time such an urge strikes me.

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    No, you don't. You have like 15 posts. If you do that, that means you're an alt.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's not.

But that dosen't count.

So making a post in the wrong forum elicits this kind of drama?
    God forbid, what if I said I liked playing Zelda or Counter-Strike? Figure there'd be the same amount of hate?

See, that's funny.

You think this is actually drama. That everyone's getting in a hubub. Which is actually really fucking funny. Do a search on "Katchem_Ash", about, what, 4, 5 months back.

That my freind, was internet dramady.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Im curious in what 4 pages of flaming achieves. We know you are gonna get punished, but then again you acknowledged that this was something you were willing to accept by posting it in the first place. I think if anything you have 'won' this exchange in that you have lost nothing but everyone else has gained a little bit of stress perhaps a little bit of anger and posting flames on someone who clearly doesnt care at all about it.

Curious certainly.

Aw come on, I don't think this was a stress-raiser... sure, studies show that aggression often leads to more aggression, but studies equally show that people need to find ways to vent their aggression.
    Since I'm not calling anyone a fag in return or trying to piss anyone off, I can't really be making them feel stressed or angry, just providing them with a thread in which to vent their own aggressor. I'm a stress-reducer! Lol.

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Skullo wrote: »

Yep, and I get bored of making fun of trolls and newbies day-in day-out so I figured I'd try from the other angle this time, see if it's any more entertaining. Kind of is, because the trolls that usually post are too retarded to make any kind of replies or comments or anything. Kind of wish more trolls were like me, wouldn't drive me to making such posts... too bad I'll have to find another forum next time such an urge strikes me.

You are a true intellectual, friend.

You are above all this.

You elicit these responses just to see what happens!

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    But Ash is both hated and loved. In my opinion while I dont think he is a joke alt I also do think he isnt serious about it and just relishes getting a rise from people. It is the same behavior demonstrated here. That's why I like k_A, he is playing a lot of people for fools. and even if he IS totally serious about the Anime thing, there is far stranger stuff out there on the internet and Im not about to hate someone for having a particular love for one form of art or entertainment, no matter how often he enthuses on the benefits of tentacle rape.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    No, you don't. You have like 15 posts. If you do that, that means you're an alt.

Alright, well, I think that in my style of over-analytical psychology-obsessed thinking, that I've probably got a certain unique tone to my writing. If I am indeed an alt, I must be someone's alt, someone who, in theory, will write and think like me -- who is it?

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Curious certainly.

Aw come on, I don't think this was a stress-raiser... sure, studies show that aggression often leads to more aggression, but studies equally show that people need to find ways to vent their aggression.
    Since I'm not calling anyone a fag in return or trying to piss anyone off, I can't really be making them feel stressed or angry, just providing them with a thread in which to vent their own aggressor. I'm a stress-reducer! Lol.

Finally, that rarest of people - a hardcore study-reader who also uses the word "Lol".

Do you have links to these scientific documents?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    But Ash is both hated and loved. In my opinion while I dont think he is a joke alt I also do think he isnt serious about it and just relishes getting a rise from people. It is the same behavior demonstrated here. That's why I like k_A, he is playing a lot of people for fools. and even if he IS totally serious about the Anime thing, there is far stranger stuff out there on the internet and Im not about to hate someone for having a particular love for one form of art or entertainment, no matter how often he enthuses on the benefits of tentacle rape.

Seriously though, fuck K_A

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Alright, well, I think that in my style of over-analytical psychology-obsessed thinking, that I've probably got a certain unique tone to my writing. If I am indeed an alt, I must be someone's alt, someone who, in theory, will write and think like me -- who is it?

All I hear is:

Alright, well, I think that blahabalbgalgblgablgabglblabglbgahhbglhglbglhglblgblaglhgblha -- who is it?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, another argument against my being an alt. All this talk about my potential being an alt and my low post count would suggest that the mods will ban my IP, not my username, in which case any 'main' of mine would be banned as well -- wouldn't be much point in doing that, would there?

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

It must be someone very clever and handsome.

Seriously on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

My guess...Faggy McQueermoson

Hunter on
  • Options
    DranoDrano __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    guys shut up, you're embarrassing me

Drano on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, another argument against my being an alt. All this talk about my potential being an alt and my low post count would suggest that the mods will ban my IP, not my username, in which case any 'main' of mine would be banned as well -- wouldn't be much point in doing that, would there?

seriously man, its like you're gargling V8 vegetable juice.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, and look at that.

Finished all that work in 5 minutes.

I hate my job.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That's why I said it was internet dramady.

Soliciting a response that qualifies as "drama", would imply that there is both a positive and negative reaction to that person, which would cause a rift between said groups.

Which is why K_A would be the best example.

Everyone just hated the shit out of Wiggin and Borfase, so they don't really count.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Curious certainly.

But this is my point. Sure, venting anger against a troll may be venting in a good way, but denying them what they want, attention, retribution and responses is more satisfying.

I admin a Counter Strike Source server, well several actually, and anytime some guy comes on and tries to stir stuff I ban immediately and everyone knows not to respond. Like if a guy joins and starts teamkilling, banned within 2 minutes. Starts trolling or calling everyone a noob, muted or gimped. If I started into a flame war with the guy and started arguing he would have won.

What Im saying is, the regulars here, for them the forum matters more than to random exterior trolls. They could engage these trolls if they wanted but they would have to do it everytime and the trolls dont care cause there are a billion internet forums out there and they can always go elsewhere or create a new username or a thousand other things. But what they wont do is try to reconcile and work into the forums. Their mission is to disrupt. Denying them this goal is the best response imo.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Tube?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Is anyone SERIOUSLY upset with this guy?

I was under the impression that was like a "Ohhhhhh youuu" sitcom type moment.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drano wrote: »
    guys shut up, you're embarrassing me

Pull your pants down.

it's 4 o'clock.

The train needs to pull into station.

Transporter on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I dunno man, there's alot of idiots that post here.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Borfase. He's like Ralph Wiggum and George Costanza had a retarded baby with a cavernous maw and bi curious tendencies when it came to picking up dates on Craigslist.

Hunter on
  • Options
    RiceCookRiceCook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The answer is Snape.

RiceCook on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Curious certainly.

But this is my point. Sure, venting anger against a troll may be venting in a good way, but denying them what they want, attention, retribution and responses is more satisfying.

I admin a Counter Strike Source server, well several actually, and anytime some guy comes on and tries to stir stuff I ban immediately and everyone knows not to respond. Like if a guy joins and starts teamkilling, banned within 2 minutes. Starts trolling or calling everyone a noob, muted or gimped. If I started into a flame war with the guy and started arguing he would have won.

What Im saying is, the regulars here, for them the forum matters more than to random exterior trolls. They could engage these trolls if they wanted but they would have to do it everytime and the trolls dont care cause there are a billion internet forums out there and they can always go elsewhere or create a new username or a thousand other things. But what they wont do is try to reconcile and work into the forums. Their mission is to disrupt. Denying them this goal is the best response imo.

I agree with you up to a point. See, when you're a CS mod, you -do- have to be mature and authoritative. You have to keep the server clean of teamkillers, llamas, and generally asshats. And your way is the quickest way to extinguish them. Because the people you ban -- they're not entertaining to keep around, they make everyone's play experience worse.

However, these posters are not mods. It's not their responsibility to keep the forum clean of trolls. If anything, it's a fun opportunity to flame someone, so despite claiming to hate trolls, they're drawn to these threads. The posters here don't feel it their epic duty to get rid of trolls, so they don't act in ways that would get rid of them, but rather just in ways that appeal to them, the posters.

Sgt_BillDoor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Also, my girlfriend JUST woke up. Normally I'd be spending my time emailing, not posting here.

Although I should raise my postcount. I'm practically reading this thing 10hours a day.

Skullo on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is possibly the most laid back flaming ever right here.

I'm not even sure it counts as flaming.
    Were like the preacher that comes and talks to a guy on death row before the executioner comes by.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why are these fags fagging up our forum with their faggy pseudo-intellectual faggotry?

SpongeCake on
This discussion has been closed.