As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghost Hunting/Adventuring

124»

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have no personal reason to believe in ghosts. I've never had a paranormal experience and I've never lived in a house that was haunted. (The one next door to me is supposed to be, but an old couple live there and I'd feel weird asking if I could spend the night in their attic to verify their story.) So I'm skeptical. But, as Hamlet said, "there are stranger things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

So in a few weeks, when classes start and me and my friends get back to Columbia, we're gonna find some "haunted" places and head out there with some cameras. Mostly just for kicks, cause we'll get to see some spooky places and shit. If some weird shit pops up that we can't explain, well, that's a plus. (One of the stories around here says that on one of the old roads leading out of town, there is a "ghost carriage" which will race your car. Almost definitely bullshit, but wouldn't it be awesome to drag race a ghost?) Yeah, it's a silly belief that doesn't hold up to much scientific scrutiny at all, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with it.

And yeah, I get a kick out of Ghost Hunters. The one where they went to the Irish ruins, near the supposed fairy dwelling? Creeped me the fuck out, man. "Dude... I think something is following our guys out there."

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can someone link a vid or something of the op's stuff?

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have no personal reason to believe in ghosts. I've never had a paranormal experience and I've never lived in a house that was haunted. (The one next door to me is supposed to be, but an old couple live there and I'd feel weird asking if I could spend the night in their attic to verify their story.) So I'm skeptical. But, as Hamlet said, "there are stranger things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

So in a few weeks, when classes start and me and my friends get back to Columbia, we're gonna find some "haunted" places and head out there with some cameras. Mostly just for kicks, cause we'll get to see some spooky places and shit. If some weird shit pops up that we can't explain, well, that's a plus. (One of the stories around here says that on one of the old roads leading out of town, there is a "ghost carriage" which will race your car. Almost definitely bullshit, but wouldn't it be awesome to drag race a ghost?) Yeah, it's a silly belief that doesn't hold up to much scientific scrutiny at all, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with it.

And yeah, I get a kick out of Ghost Hunters. The one where they went to the Irish ruins, near the supposed fairy dwelling? Creeped me the fuck out, man. "Dude... I think something is following our guys out there."

I had no idea there was a difference in Irish and american fairy's. :lol: That was a good episode.

Isn't there a version of the headless horseman in SC too.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I had no idea there was a difference in Irish and american fairy's. :lol: That was a good episode.

Isn't there a version of the headless horseman in SC too.

Yeah, apparently Irish fairies will ruin your shit if you're not careful. Ruin it hard.

And yeah, I've heard something like a Headless Horseman around here, but I'm not sure where it dwells.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think there is a headless horsemen legend everywhere. If you are hunting ghosts make sure to bring shotguns loaded with rock salt, Supernatural has taught me well.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    And yeah, I've heard something like a Headless Horseman around here, but I'm not sure where it dwells.

Apparently SC has a lot of Haunted Places to explore.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I put people who beleive in ghosts slightly lower on the totem pole than people who beleive in god, as at least the religious folk have (frequently) been brought up in a hilariously religiously credulous environment. Society still respects religion.

But ghosts? Come on. Fuck, I respect the Scientologists more than you people. You should know better.

I dunno, at least in my experience, ghost believers are more likely to "actually seen something" than the religious, who are mostly just raised that way.

I would say that someone who has "actually seen something" is about the same as a person who claims to have seen angels or heard God's voice. In some cases, maybe they did see something, but most of the time I would imagine people convince themselves or misinterpret what they see through the lens of their preexisting belief.

As for shows, my favourites are the ones that disprove ghost theories and psychics and mediums and such, and the frantic scrabbling for support that these con artists perform once debunked. Some ghost hunter shows actually do this, which is awesome.

I also like the ones where you can tell they totally don't believe it themselves, but they put on a good show and make some money doing it. Hilarious.

Oh no, I don't disagree that they've convinced themselves that something mundane is more, but I was just thinking that I tend to think more of people who have beliefs based on experiences (as erroneously interpretted as they may be) rather than those who just believe because someone told them it's true.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I still remember when the Ghost Hunters guys went to the Stanly hotel for the first time. The scene where what's his name is going to sleep in his room, and the closet door opens and closes almost completely on it's own, and when he investigates it, the glass on the nightstand shatters on it's own.... I'd really love an explaination for that.

I can't imagine how the air pressure could change that much in the room, which had it's main door closed, and I assume no windows open.

[goes off to see if there's a clip anywhere]

EDIT: hmm, memory was off, I thought the video showed the door opening and closing, but it doesn't in this one
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=af2bs4gF1L0

haven't been able to find any accusations of them faking it, but that's the only logical explanation I could think of for the door and the glass breaking

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lanz wrote: »
    I still remember when the Ghost Hunters guys went to the Stanly hotel for the first time. The scene where what's his name is going to sleep in his room, and the closet door opens and closes almost completely on it's own, and when he investigates it, the glass on the nightstand shatters on it's own.... I'd really love an explaination for that.

I can't imagine how the air pressure could change that much in the room, which had it's main door closed, and I assume no windows open.

[goes off to see if there's a clip anywhere]

EDIT: hmm, memory was off, I thought the video showed the door opening and closing, but it doesn't in this one
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=af2bs4gF1L0

haven't been able to find any accusations of them faking it, but that's the only logical explanation I could think of for the door and the glass breaking

The door closes later.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah jasons room with the creepy door opening (he mentions noises coming from the door as well) and the glass breaking is just creepy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like the episode where the camera guy gets knocked on his ass by his own gear. That was pretty crazy footage.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that would freak you out. Like when they were in that battleship and they kept hearing noise and thought it was someone on the crew screwing with them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I like the episode where the camera guy gets knocked on his ass by his own gear. That was pretty crazy footage.

I liked how they did actually manage to get that on film, it really does look like the bag just up and slams into him with nothing to have actually started the slamming

I was like "WTF?" during that bit

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel#Hotel_ghosts
    The management enjoys the publicity gained by the Stanley's haunted reputation and takes steps to ensure that many guests will experience something unusual. Ex-employees have confessed to staging many of the "haunted" sights and sounds.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That could have gotten edited because it is wikipedia but when I look there I see no mention of hotel staff doing the haunting. Also they have no reference with regards to where that came from, wikipedia isn't exactly the end all truth teller.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone got a directory for haunted areas around their area? Better yet, groups that do ghost haunting? I heard that in Redlands, California that was happening.

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://www.mondoskepto.com/node/16
    And a former Stanley Hotel employee appeared in TAPS online fan forum immediately after seeing the show to say that the lobby shelves are notoriously unstable due to having been installed on an angle. But TAPS doesn't bother to verify the validity of the hotel’s spooky ghost stories, because...well, they sound true.

Hey, they’re acting like genuine skeptics! Could they really be conducting a rational investigation? No. Sadly, this was merely the usual conditioning exercise for the viewer’s benefit. Now that we’ve been properly convinced they’re genuine debunkers, they proceed to stage their “unexplained” and “mysterious” stuff. While Jason sleeps in room 401, he hears a closet door open and notices a glass has shattered “from the inside out”. As Grant changes a tape in room 1302, he and cameraman Kendall Whelpton see tables and chairs “move on their own”. The video “evidence” documenting these occurrences is ridiculously suspicious. In both cases, camera angles are partially obscured – leaving plenty of room for human assistance to take place just outside of the camera’s POV. And the Ghost Hunters carefully avoid any serious inquiry into these occurrences, saying they can find “no rational explanation” for them.
    This airs on the sci-fi channel for the love of God.

There previous episodes are ripe with BS:
    http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2281588

Ok there has been much speculation as to the Manson Ghost Hunters episode being fake/mostly fake.

Now the home owner (that TAPS went to) has some movie coming out, and TAPS would greatly put his movie out there to make money.

http://www.houseattheendofthedrive.com/]

First thing you see on the site is:

"FROM THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF THE AMITYVILLE HORROR"

Also says on a link on the site, "THE LATEST - STRAIGHT FROM THE FILM'S PRODUCER, DAVID OMAN (home owner)

David the home owner seemed really fake with his "stories" and reactions on that TAPS episode. I don't necessarily want to say that TAPS was involved with the semi hoax, I did notice The taps team sometimes looked as if they wanted to speak out against some of the stuff and call it fake but they with held there comments.

Many people claim that Chris guy (the one selling that emf device) is really fake and "over sells" on his show where he supposedly gets in touch with dead celebrity's. I also don't buy into his little device. I think that "voice recorder" in his hand was really a remote control as he had it in his hand EVERY time he asked a question when the k-2 lights blinked, and you can verify that on the video footage.

Also it was very strange how Chris kept wanting the temperature to be an exact one that he specified, it was like he already had it prearranged with the home owner. Also at the beginning the home owner kept trying to say he saw Jay Sebrings ghost. Chris made a point to ask if the ghost was Jay Sebring. Seemed really set up with both Chris and the home owner David.

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2281678
    http://www.mondoskepto.com/taxonomy/term/12

The entire hotel is basically a tourist trap for people who are into the haunting stuff.

Couscous on
  • Options
    localh77localh77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    It's admirable that they try and be as scientific as possible, and try to limit their flights of fantasy. I will, however, not claim that they are not prone to said flights of fantasy.

As scientific as possible? Have you ever even seen the show? They are the polar opposite of scientific. Every episode they'll have some token "debunkings" of a few things, but then they'll go into a room and get some random readings on their thermometers and shit, and then later talk about how since they can't think of anything off the tops of their heads to explain it, it's probably haunted. And the simple fact that it's very much in their best interest to not be able to explain things makes them unscientific.

localh77 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel#Hotel_ghosts
    The management enjoys the publicity gained by the Stanley's haunted reputation and takes steps to ensure that many guests will experience something unusual. Ex-employees have confessed to staging many of the "haunted" sights and sounds.

hmm, alrighty then

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Jesus, what the fuck Hamlet did you read?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ghost Adventures was hillarious. They caught some weird shit on film, but the presentation for the first hour was a bit boring. The last 40 minutes was gold; eerie shit happens = they haul ass and jump off the second story fire escape. :lol:

I probably would have too. :|

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Are you being funny? It's in Act I, Scene V. He is speaking to Horatio.
    And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    But come;
    Here, as before, never, so help you mercy,
    How strange or odd soe'er I bear myself,
    As I perchance hereafter shall think meet
    To put an antic disposition on,
    That you, at such times seeing me, never shall,
    With arms encumbered thus, or this headshake,
    Or by pronouncing of some doubtful phrase,
    As 'Well, well, we know,' or 'We could, an if we would,'
    Or 'If we list to speak,' or 'There be, an if they might,'
    Or such ambiguous giving out, to note
    That you know aught of me: this not to do,
    So grace and mercy at your most need help you, Swear.

Unless you are referring to greyghost33's replacement of the word "more" with "stranger." The gist, however, is identical.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2007

he slightly misquoted, but:
    HAMLET
    But come;
    With arms encumber'd thus, or this headshake,

EDIT: Alas! For I have been beaten to the punch in quoting the fair Bard!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Horus wrote: »
    Anyone got a directory for haunted areas around their area? Better yet, groups that do ghost haunting? I heard that in Redlands, California that was happening.

Right here. That lists most suspected haunted sites by state, and gives a brief description of what supposedly happens there. It's a pretty comprehensive list; I didn't think Spook Bridge in Valdosta Ga would be on there, but it is.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ghost Adventures was hillarious. They caught some weird shit on film, but the presentation for the first hour was a bit boring. The last 40 minutes was gold; eerie shit happens = they haul ass and jump off the second story fire escape. :lol:

The séance scene with the crazy old lady was pretty corny, but the footage of the apparition and poltergeist throwing that stuff around was very cool.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    NexusSix wrote: »

The séance scene with the crazy old lady was pretty corny, but the footage of the apparition and poltergeist throwing that stuff around was very cool.

Yeah, seances always seem so.... hokey.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited July 2007
    I would love to go to some haunted places with a few people (never by myself!) but, unfortunately, no one I know personally is all that interested in the idea and there aren't really any haunted places in my area of Melbourne, FL. I'd love to spend the night at an abandoned asylum or hospital (again, never alone.. with at least three or four other people) and bring tape recorders along for some EVP - which proves to be the most effective.

I don't believe there's any real danger in ghost hunting except for maybe a push here or there or maybe a flying object (which, if possible, must be rare). Though that scene in Ghost Adventures freaked me out with the brick.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Merovingi wrote: »
    I don't believe there's any real danger in ghost hunting except for maybe a push here or there or maybe a flying object (which, if possible, must be rare). Though that scene in Ghost Adventures freaked me out with the brick.

Watching the show I kept thinking if the ghost could slam the old lady against the wall, why the fuck are you standing so close to a window on the third floor? I don't want to be the dumbass who gets Karras'ed on tape for millions to laugh at.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Are you being funny? It's in Act I, Scene V. He is speaking to Horatio.
    But come;
    With arms encumbered thus, or this headshake,

Unless you are referring to greyghost33's replacement of the word "more" with "stranger." The gist, however, is identical.

Thanks for that, Drez. I just reeled it off from memory, I figured I got something wrong.

Holy shit but Ghost Adventures was pretty cool. The narration was incredibly amateurish - I think that guy was trying way too hard to sound ominous and spooky. Also, the random flashes (in negative) of spooky images that had nothing to do with what they were actually doing was kinda cheap. But once they hit the hotel it really took off. I was seriously creeped out. Anyone remember the name of the hotel?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Holy shit but Ghost Adventures was pretty cool. The narration was incredibly amateurish - I think that guy was trying way too hard to sound ominous and spooky. Also, the random flashes (in negative) of spooky images that had nothing to do with what they were actually doing was kinda cheap. But once they hit the hotel it really took off. I was seriously creeped out. Anyone remember the name of the hotel?

It's the Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, Nevada.

I swear he was trying to do his best Christian Bale impersonation for most of it.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Right here. That lists most suspected haunted sites by state, and gives a brief description of what supposedly happens there. It's a pretty comprehensive list; I didn't think Spook Bridge in Valdosta Ga would be on there, but it is.

I Just checked out that list, from what i know of the area i live in it's utter bullshit and fabricated. I've never even heard of a single thing off the list.
    Hauppauge - Begjaine House - The Begjaines (long dead) Have haunted this old house for over 215 years. It all started in 1778 when Mr. Begjaine was killed at fort Ticonderoga. Mrs. Begjaine moved her three kids to a mansion in Hauppauge. Shortly after the move a man with an English accent came to the front door saying he wanted to sell some hats. When Mrs. Begjaine let him in he pulled out a gun and killed the whole family. To this day the cops are still investigating the crime. Neighbors complain of strange noises and gunshots coming from the old abandoned house at night. Most of the cops go in but few have lived to come out.
    Wtf kind of gun did this intruder use in 1778 to kill a whole family? Hey you guys please stand there while i reload my musket! This story makes more sense if they claimed the guy came from the future.

Oh yeah and of course the house eats cops, since you know they're in there all the time investigating a crime from over 200 years ago. They're probably still trying to figure out how that guy killed everone with a musket.

Hauppauge - Hauppauge Middle School - The old Hauppage is one of the most weirdest schools on Long Island. There is said to be a ghost for revenge in room A-22. There is a ghost that picks up pens & then throws them at people.

Hauppauge - Hauppauge High School - When You Go To The Down Stairs Bathroom You hear freaky music and then when You come out you will see a still unidentified man in a long black cloak.

Well there's all the proof i need right there, the 9 year old that wrote that out has fully convinced me! I worked in both those schools and never heard anything of the kind. I'll have to ask them if they've ever had ghost hunters ask to peek around their bathrooms.

Seriously i don't think i've ever seen one of these ghost finding shows that didn't just come off to me as incredibly lame.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well there's all the proof i need right there, the 9 year old that wrote that out has fully convinced me! I worked in both those schools and never heard anything of the kind. I'll have to ask them if they've ever had ghost hunters ask to peek around their bathrooms.

Seriously i don't think i've ever seen one of these ghost finding shows that didn't just come off to me as incredibly lame.

E-mail the site and let them know they have bad info listed. The entries for the places I'm familiar with are spot on.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

I Just checked out that list, from what i know of the area i live in it's utter bullshit and fabricated. I've never even heard of a single thing off the list.

[

The site looks outdated though, but thanks for this!!!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

E-mail the site and let them know they have bad info listed. The entries for the places I'm familiar with are spot on.

If the site could be substantiated in the least they would have someone proof-reading these stories and linking to some sort of information avaliable to verify it. For example a claim they make on that site about a location near my old house. The only way i seem to be able to find any other reference to it is another website with the same copy and pasted bullshit. I'll think i'll claim my house is haunted by the ghost of voltron and see if they add it to the list.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

If the site could be substantiated in the least they would have someone proof-reading these stories and linking to some sort of information avaliable to verify it. For example a claim they make on that site about a location near my old house. The only way i seem to be able to find any other reference to it is another website with the same copy and pasted bullshit. I'll think i'll claim my house is haunted by the ghost of voltron and see if they add it to the list.

They probably will. I don't think accuracy is their primary concern. But it is still nice to have a place to start from, especially when some of the lore is right.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Shan_ShinobiShan_Shinobi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if it's a ghost or whatever.
    But I know for a fact a lot of unusual shit happened at my Grandmas and there was no rational explination for any of it.

Shan_Shinobi on
  • Options
    MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know if it's a ghost or whatever.
    But I know for a fact a lot of unusual shit happened at my Grandmas and there was no rational explination for any of it.

Did you post about it in detail in the Creepiest thread? If not then you should! Can never have enough people posting their odd and eerie tales in that thread. I love it!

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My mistake, I thought that was from The Tempest and said by a girl.

I am probably drunk at the wheel.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    So I'm doing this on Sunday for Frankie's birthday.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png