As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lynx wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I would have preferred hero classes to be like a secondary profession you take up on your main character, not a separate character completely.

Like, a 4th talent tree or something.

Eh, that just seems like a copout. Making a fourth talent tree would very possibly make certain classes completely overpowered. But, that's probably just personal preference.

As for siege weapons. . .yes, we'll have to see how they're implemented. But, it could add a much needed extra dynamic to PvP.

Yeah but if you make it a separate class altogether then people will abandon their mains and everyone will slowly become a Deathknight.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I heard a rumour that proper guild banks are being worked on.

I would also prefer Hero classes be an extension of current classes. Like, I would rather have a new, separate talent tree with say, two trees, for my Rogue then have it as a whole new character.

A small one with maybe 10, powerful, talents in each tree. One could be Assassin the other could be Spy or something, and depending on the balance of points I choose my class would change from Rogue to Assassin/Spy or whatever names they give them. But those talents could change more than just the usual talent effects, for example they could change base stats (retroactively of course), or being classed as Spy might let you wear Mail armour where as being classed as Assassin might increases the base damage ranges of your abilities etc.

Just...something a bit new and different then just another class that has prerequisites before you can create it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »

No Player/Guild Housing. People have been screaming for this for awhile, and we're still not getting it? Blizzard, seriously, they better be in Expansion Three or you might have people rioting.
    All those sprawls in SWG come to mind
    Player housing is a BAD idea
    Guilds come and go

I like the idea AS an idea. Then I remember the ultimate pain in the ass that was UO housing.

*SHUDDER*

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Instanced housing. This would work best in a new city, and I could see it happening in Undermine, were it ever introduced. A single block, in the middle of the city, with a house of varying sizes and styles is made instanced. All the houses are closed except the one you buy. You can decorate it with furniture, paint the walls and floors (inside and out), and if you get a bigger sum of cash, you can upgrade to the house across the street. Outside this block is an NPC where you can set access restrictions to your own home, or select a friends home to enter. Voila, player housing without the ugly sprawl from SWG.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have no idea who Magni is
    I still feel a Southern Seas/Emerald Dream Exp. would be cooler
    Because of all the quests and other vauge hints in the game
    The chained essence quest, the green dragons, the Aq Scepter chain, The Missing Diplomat chain and so on.

How long have you been playing? O_o Magni is the Dwarven leader and I'd imagine he has a serious bone to pick with Arthas for killing his brother, Muradin. And there's just as much to point to Northrend as there is for the Great Seas and Emerald Dream. Hell, arguably both the Eastern and Western Plaguelands (Including their instances: Stratholme, Scholomance, and Naxxramas) and the Ghostlands are a huge arrow pointing North.
    I started a blood elf paladin the day TBC came out I just started a priest for the 8th time
    I know of people who have played warriors, paladins and priests since day one who would be beyond angry if in one exp they became worthless compared to a class that can do all 3

Caster Tank. Not Healer Tank. Healer Tanks are Paladins. And Druids can do everything. So, by your logic, Druids and Paladins make Warriors and Priests obsolete already.
    It's a VERY bad idea

Explain? How is it any different from Enchanting? Or even Jewelcrafting?
    Shall we discuss why the current battlegrounds suck and adding these would make it worse?

They suck because they're overdone. And, I believe, adding siege weapons would breathe new life into them. So yes, let's discuss.
    I think this would be cool

Oh good, we agree on something. I was starting to think you were just disagreeing to disagree. Then again. . .why wouldn't anyone want more customization options?

I don't know how much it cost in man hours and equipment to do AQ40 and Naxx but I would say something like 2 million.
    I don't think they want to flush all the money they invested in doing Outland and making everything obsolete with another expanion again

Outlands will likely be the quintessential 60-70 leveling area for the rest of the game's lifespan. I think it's varied enough that it won't recieve the ire of the current level 20-60 Azeroth zones. Outlands will not become obsolete. But, I think the raids (Karazhan, Gruul, Mag, Serpentchrine, The Eye, Mt. Hyjal and Black Temple) WILL become obsolete. Which, as I explain later, kind of sucks.
    All those sprawls in SWG come to mind
    Guilds come and go

Instanced Player Housing. Not like SWG towns (Although, instanced neighborhoods would be pretty neat). So, I'm not reaaly sure why its a bad idea. It's a great diversion. And yes, Guilds come and go. So what? If the guild falls apart, so does the Guild Hall. Very simple, really.
    Yeah but if you make it a separate class altogether then people will abandon their mains and everyone will slowly become a Deathknight.

Initially, perhaps. Similar to the surge of Blood Elves and Draenei, post TBC. But, assuming the Deathknights are basically a regular class that just starts at 60 (or 70) and aren't in any way more powerful than existing classes, people will go back to the old classes. That, I think, is what will be the difference between SWG's Jedi and WoW's Deathknight.

Lynx on
  • Options
    PratleyPratley Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They need to bring back experience gains from turning in 3 marks of honor.

Was a nice way of getting xp while focusing on pvp, and while it was slower than grinding, you ended up with a nice chunk of honor when you were 60.

I'm also more a fan of additional talent trees instead of more levels. People say more talent trees will upset the balance of the game... not any more than 10 more talent points in existing ones will. We will have felguard locks with siphon life, Beastial wrath hunters with trueshot aura, Water elemental mages with dragon's breath, etc etc.

I'm a casual player, I just hit 70 a few weeks ago, so no epic flying mount (or even regular flying mount yet), no gladiator purples, hell I'm still wearing some level 60 high warlord pieces to go with my 70 blues. I guess it would be nice to skip from what I have to level 80 greens, but I'm still going to be fighting people in level 80 purples (pvp servers are fun until 70). So to me, more talents would be welcome rather than levels. Maybe they could have a version of everquests alternate advancement (gain experience for talent points instead of levels).

Pratley on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They need to being in turning in marks for honour. I get 100 marks for EOTS before I have the ~20,000 honour I need for the item that only costs 20 marks to get. I'm sick of my mailbox getting spammed with marks.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I play horde so allot of the alliance quests and lore is alien to me

Druids are tanks,melee dps, magical dps and healers but they cannot be great at all 4
    A feral druid is not the best healer the same goes for a Moonkin
    I know of a moonkin druid that is a great moonkin and an ok healer

As for Inscription being a bad idea enchanting and jewelcrafting already do this
    All the professions do something to augment your character
    So they claim to be working on how bad engineering is but bring out a new profession?

The problem with siege weapons is a player takes control of a tank and proceeds to bulldoze the apposing force
    Or my warlock is going to solo a tank in some Rambo style action

I feel bringing out the expansion as a side line without any new races or levels and fixing the current 20-50sh content would do more for the game then giving us 10 more levels

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I play horde so allot of the alliance quests and lore is alien to me

Ok. Understandable. I just figured a Faction Leader would be well known. Guess not. . .
    Druids are tanks,melee dps, magical dps and healers but they cannot be great at all 4
    A feral druid is not the best healer the same goes for a Moonkin
    I know of a moonkin druid that is a great moonkin and an ok healer

Exactly! And a Paladin is a decent tank and healer, but isn't as good as a Warrior or Priest in those roles. A Deathknight would be similar. A decent tank and damage dealer, but he's not going to be better than a Warrior, Mage or Rogue. That's what a Hybrid is.
    As for Inscription being a bad idea enchanting and jewelcrafting already do this
    All the professions do something to augment your character
    So they claim to be working on how bad engineering is but bring out a new profession?

Enchanting and Jewelcrafting augment items, not spells and abilities. For example, if you're a Paladin, you might get an inscription that increases the healing of Flash of Light by 10%. See how it works? As for Engineering, I'm sure the expansion is going to at least try to address Engineering as well as add new recipes for all existing professions.
    The problem with siege weapons is a player takes control of a tank and proceeds to bulldoze the apposing force
    Or my warlock is going to solo a tank in some Rambo style action

I don't think you quite grasp how siege weapons in Warcraft have worked in the past. Siege weapons are primarily to destroy buildings, not units. They probably will be fairly useless against individual players. So, for example, you can destroy the towers in Alterac Valley which would give you a tactical advantage. You aren't going to steamroll over players.
    I feel bringing out the expansion as a side line without any new races or levels and fixing the current 20-50sh content would do more for the game then giving us 10 more levels

I agree. But, I also don't think its the time yet. I think maybe after the next expansion (After WotLK), we'll see an expansion focusing on this. But until then, I think they're going to use Hero classes as a way to gloss over the bland 20-58 game.

Lynx on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I don't think you quite grasp how siege weapons in Warcraft have worked in the past. Siege weapons are primarily to destroy buildings, not units. They probably will be fairly useless against individual players. So, for example, you can destroy the towers in Alterac Valley which would give you a tactical advantage. You aren't going to steamroll over players.

And if they do Siege weapons right, they will be really vulnerable if attacked by players, forcing people to actually support the siege weapon so it actually makes it to its intended target.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    And if they do Siege weapons right, they will be really vulnerable if attacked by players, forcing people to actually support the siege weapon so it actually makes it to its intended target.

Exactly. ;-)

Lynx on
  • Options
    PurpleScarfPurpleScarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If this is true, add Tuskarr and I'll be happy.

Go Go Team Walrus?

PurpleScarf on
    IM IN UR FORUM
    READING UR POSTS
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »
    Back to WOW... you really think they will add two new races already?

I have my doubts on this as well. Sure, Blizz pulled the Dranaei out of their asses, but I think everyone knew that Blood Elves would be coming down the pipe eventually. Other than Naga, Worgen, and maybe another Troll subrace, I can't really see any other viable existing races that could be used as player races. Of course, since I've never gotten a character past level 34, I'm probably missing other choices. I just hope that if new races are coming, that Blizz doesn't go the Dranaei route. I'd love to play a Worgen.

This may be a bit assinine, and they probably won't even add any races this expansion, but since you mention it I'd actually like to see Forest Trolls and Wildhammer dwarves implemented as player races. Simply because they'd give another druid race for each faction, another shaman race for alliance, the lore supports both of them being in their factions already at least in some capacity, and both already have somewhat unique looks already in the game that could be built upon.

I'd like goblins for the same reasons. There are tons of them around, they can be supported by the lore as being in either faction (or both, which would be very interesting), and they have such a large role in the game already I'd expect them to be a player race.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    eobet wrote: »
    Back to WOW... you really think they will add two new races already?

I have my doubts on this as well. Sure, Blizz pulled the Dranaei out of their asses, but I think everyone knew that Blood Elves would be coming down the pipe eventually. Other than Naga, Worgen, and maybe another Troll subrace, I can't really see any other viable existing races that could be used as player races. Of course, since I've never gotten a character past level 34, I'm probably missing other choices. I just hope that if new races are coming, that Blizz doesn't go the Dranaei route. I'd love to play a Worgen.

This may be a bit assinine, and they probably won't even add any races this expansion, but since you mention it I'd actually like to see Forest Trolls and Wildhammer dwarves implemented as player races. Simply because they'd give another druid race for each faction, another shaman race for alliance, the lore supports both of them being in their factions already at least in some capacity, and both already have somewhat unique looks already in the game that could be built upon.

I'd like goblins for the same reasons. There are tons of them around, they can be supported by the lore as being in either faction (or both, which would be very interesting), and they have such a large role in the game already I'd expect them to be a player race.

For me the races I'd like to see added at some point consist of Goblins, Wildhammer Dwarves, The Broken, Forest Trolls, Undead High Elves, Panderans, Mok'nethal, and of course, Murlocs... I'd roll a Murloc in a heartbeat.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've got my fingers crossed so hard for Pandaren.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Then again one could do a third faction consisting of the more wild races, call it the Savage Legion or something(Though Furry Phalanx has a nice ring to it)... Panderans, Mok'Nethal, Tuskarr, Furbolgs, Murlocs, Arakkoa, etc.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    I've got my fingers crossed so hard for Pandaren.

I would be surprised if they weren't playable - or at least had an area - sooner or later. But there are a lot of races out there that Blizzard could technically use. However, I think the "civilized" races have all been established and made playable. Centaurs and Satyrs and such might not be fitting.

Classes, though. Classes are always a welcome addition.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adding Forest Trolls or Wildhammer dwarves as separate races would be the biggest copout ever

Slightly less so for Forest Trolls because they look different but Wildhammers look exactly the same as Ironforge

What would work? Add more classes to each of these races, and a new city. Want to make a Dwarf Shaman? No problem, but you start at Wildhammerville instead of Ironforge.

Javen on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd like to see a race thats neutral until level 20 (or at the end of their zones) where they have to choose between alliance or horde

overall though I would much much rather have new classes

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd like to see a race thats neutral until level 20 (or at the end of their zones) where they have to choose between alliance or horde

Deathknights and Blood mages plz!

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    On this expansion:

I don't know how legit this sounds. The inclusion of Death Knights sounds way too much like some fan-wanking to me. The whole idea itself is kinda dumb.

On Graphics:

As far as I remember, the WoW engine is actually scaled back currently. It can put out much better graphics then it does now. It's set low to accomidate low end systems. It's probably rediculously easy for them to tune it up and make the graphics better in the future. Old Beta screen shots look much nicer then current stuff. I could be wrong though.

And I still think WoWs graphics look amazing. They fit together great stylistically and everything pops. I find things hard to tell apart in Guild Wars and other games. Enemies don't stand out well from their surroundings. Just my taste though.

On 20-60 content:

The real problem with this stuff is it's crap compared to other parts of the game. It doesn't matter if it's better then any other MMOs stuff, compared to other parts of leveling in WoW itself, it's crap. Seriously, do Ghostlands and then hit like Stonetalon. It's rediculous how large the drop in quality is. Blizzard has learned how to do zones really well, look at Outland. They need to go back and apply that to the original product and tighten the whole leveling process up, so leveling up isn't so horribly tedious. It was bad originally, but now the ghost-town that is Azeroth just makes it even worse.

shryke on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    As far as I remember, the WoW engine is actually scaled back currently. It can put out much better graphics then it does now. It's set low to accomidate low end systems. It's probably rediculously easy for them to tune it up and make the graphics better in the future. Old Beta screen shots look much nicer then current stuff. I could be wrong though.

Well, art is art.

There is no magical button they can press to suddenly make the graphics "better", and I don't see them going back and making new updated models and textures to replace all the old ones. Partly because we're talking about an absolute shitload of work and partly because it isn't needed. WoW has an excellent and very distinctive art style that lets them get away with low-poly models and low-res textures. The artists at Blizzard are some of the very best in the business and they really shine in this game. WoW practically prints money at this point and is an all-crushing behemoth among MMOG's. There is no need whatsoever for Blizzard to waste time and resources on making it a little prettier.

Now get back on topic!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Deathknights and Blood mages plz!

Well, I mean ones that can start from level 1 too. though I do like the idea of not having to do all of azeroth again

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Urge to play... rising...

rising....

fading.

RISING!

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i would pledge a full lifetime of subscription if murlocs were playable.

i don't care if they wouldn't work, i want to be one damn it.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Roshin wrote: »

Well, art is art.

There is no magical button they can press to suddenly make the graphics "better", and I don't see them going back and making new updated models and textures to replace all the old ones. Partly because we're talking about an absolute shitload of work and partly because it isn't needed. WoW has an excellent and very distinctive art style that lets them get away with low-poly models and low-res textures. The artists at Blizzard are some of the very best in the business and they really shine in this game. WoW practically prints money at this point and is an all-crushing behemoth among MMOG's. There is no need whatsoever for Blizzard to waste time and resources on making it a little prettier.

Now get back on topic!

There is however, a magical way to increase polygon counts on models and load better textures.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well, art is art.

Now get back on topic!

There is however, a magical way to increase polygon counts on models and load better textures.

Extending the slider so that you can further increase the draw distance would do wonders.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Well, art is art.

Now get back on topic!

Extending the slider so that you can further increase the draw distance would do wonders.

That takes Pixie Dust. And Blizzard can't fucking afford any more Pixie Dust.

shryke on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Guys... I just had an awesome idea, that would get me back into playing WoW!

The main problem I have with WoW is that the way I like to play the game, which is soaking in the world while running quests, just isn't nearly efficient enough! What they should do, is cut down the ammount of quests you can hold to like 10... However, the quests pay like this:

The average time of the quest being run, by the quest developers, add a few minutes or something because they will obviously be able to do it faster, denoted by AvgQT in minutes

The average amount of experience that an average equiped player your level could gain grinding per minute denoted by AvgGXP

A given quest is worth Quest = AvgQT * AvgGXP

Ta da! Now, the problem that would occur is that carefull planning of quests will bring in too much XP... but that can be fixed by diminishing returns on multiple quests turned in too quickly... The idea of this, is to make experiencing content almost as efficient as grinding... but a well equiped player, who is better at grinding than average, still has an advantage, but it is not nearly as pronounced. He will also generally come accross better gear.

There is nothing worse in WoW than spending an hour moving around, having a good time completing an integral storyline quest, and then getting 3000XP. It just makes playing the game feel more like falling behind...

Thoughts?

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    walnutmon wrote: »
    Thoughts?

That's needlessly complicated, and questing is already far more efficient then grinding at almost any level.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You forget one important thing about questing and that is avoiding the endless grind of other MMOs. Questing is more fun then just killing one thing over and over again trust me. Also I really don't think the quests in the Outlands "hurt" you, they actually helped you more then grinding. They served three purposes, one fat loot, second fat experience, and they gave you rep which is a good deal better then exp really.

So basically I guess I really don't like your idea :P. Do you have the Titan bar mod by any chance? It tracks things like exp per hour and estimates how long it will take one to lvl based on what you are killing. Really helps maximize the grinding part if you really are into grinding.

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think it's that surprising that there is going to be another XP so soon. Didn't vivendi say they wanted an expansion a year from WoW once they took over? Also, I thought I remember blizzard saying that they definitely aren't going to add many playable races in upcoming expansions for quite a while (if at all).
    I'm going on memory here so I very well could be off, but I swore I remember reading both these things from official press releases

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I cant think of many new races that can be put in the game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'd say Naga, Pandaren, Goblins, Worgen, maybe Broken. . .Furbolgs and Tuskarr I think are out if we're getting Northrend with no new races. Yeah, that's about it unless they come up with some new races.Still the first three wouldn't work until a Great Sea/Maelstrom expansion and the Worgen and Broken would have to wait for another extra dimensional Xpac.

Lynx on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'd say Naga, Pandaren, Goblins, Worgen, maybe Broken. . .Furbolgs and Tuskarr I think are out if we're getting Northrend with no new races. Yeah, that's about it unless they come up with some new races.Still the first three wouldn't work until a Great Sea/Maelstrom expansion and the Worgen and Broken would have to wait for another extra dimensional Xpac.
    If they do a great sea xpac I want to be able to roll Makura. I'd start making zoidberg references and never stop.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think Goblins and Pandaren are the more likely to be made into races, probably both in a south seas / islands kind of expansion that fills in all the bullshit missing land in Azeroth.

Naga I just dont see happening, Worgen neither. Both are so far away from being civilised. I mean, the worgen have fucking mud pits. wroguen bastards.

Furblogs definetly not. I think any new races will be totally new like Drenei, and involve some fucking around with the lore to fit them in. Who the hell would want to play as a Worgen, or a Furblog? They are kinda cool but not for a full race without some major changes a la broken/drenei.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    If they do a great sea xpac I want to be able to roll Makura. I'd start making zoidberg references and never stop.

My Zoidberg fanfics would become reality....

jb7 on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    worgen have excellent 1h/shield and 2h animations :(

they're actually new animations

like when kara was relatively new you could get the worgen book or whatever and you'd just kind of have a broken animation whenever you attacked with anything

but on one of the more recent patches they completely covered all those animation holes

hmm

kaleedity on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i would <3 tuskarr too. although i'm not holding my breath.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God, if they put Pandarens in the game I'd be out so quick. The game would be ruined for me.

EDIT: But Worgen? ALL over that.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg