As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] WoW Expansion info leaked

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You know what's way eaiser then releasing a new expansion?

FIXING THE OLD WORLD.

Deathknight sounds like a bucket of kittens, but there is really only one way they can make them work, lore wise.

Deathknights NEED to be their own faction. Hated with everyone. Allied with The Burning Legion. Their 1-80 grind?

Grinding Rep to side with the Horde or the Alliance through questing. Or with the Burning Legion if they want to just be straight PVP.

Which would consist of them getting new nifty abilities, but oh looky! You can only group with other Death Knights.

Grinding rep with Horde/Alliance gets you the nice PVE version.

Grinding Rep with the BL gets you the nice PVP version.

Transporter on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    They need to release an expansion just called "Heroes of Azeroth"

And implement hero classes and heroic difficulty for past instances/raids.

And that's it.

Well, some more quest lines and such to explain everything and unlock the hero classes.

Maybe some better pvp.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Transporter, they said Death Knight would start at a high level. Probably something like 50, I would think.
    EDIT: They should release the "Azeroth Reborn" expansion.
    It would fix the fucking grind.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »
    So the worst possible thing I could think of happened.

So the story now goes:

'The Lich King became the most powerful entity on Azeroth!

...and then sat on his throne for 6 years doing nothing until a raid of horde/alliance came to the palace and killed him'

Yeah, way to make good use of a great enemy Blizzard. I'd be outraged if I hadn't already been pushed to the point of not giving a shit by the whole Draenei fiasco.

They've been horribly screwing over the lore, sure, but that's an unfortunate consequence of needing to make a viable game. Turning major characters into raid bosses is the least that they've done, the Alliance/Horde conflict is far, far worse. People always whine about there not being enough war in Warcraft, but at the end of Warcraft 3, the conflict between the sides has been at least temporarily resolved.

jothki on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    Evangir wrote: »
    I've tried unsuccessfully to quit WoW a few times now... guess I'll just have to pick this up. New 20-60 content would be a HUGE bonus. Those zones get pretty tiring after you've done them once.

I actually quit WoW a few months ago, but I would reactivate, at least for a month, if they added classes and reworked the 20-60 grind. Because goddamn I hate that. It's why my characters were all low-mid level, and why I quit.

I've quit for good after several quest glitches that made me repeat 3 hours of the game TWICE. With how much money they're making they should be able to fix their game. I'm waiting for WAR now....

Shade on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, looking forward to that.
    I'll definitely try out WAR.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    You know what would be entertaining? An expansion that's entirely sub-60 content.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    You know what would be entertaining? An expansion that's entirely sub-60 content.
    Wiggin wrote:
    EDIT: They should release the "Azeroth Reborn" expansion.
    It would fix the fucking grind.
    This is what I'm saying, man. I don't enjoy it because every update is for high levels only.
    I don't give a shit about that. I'm stuck doing this really shitty content working my ass of to 60 so I can have some fun. No thanks. That's why I play City of Heroes. Every Issue, while farther apart, affects everyone.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't get the point of hero classes as that article supposedly describes them. Are they gonna be stronger than everyone else? No? Then why make people jump through hoops to roll one?

Zek on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ITT people whine about levelling from 1-60 all the fucking time.

Jesus people, you have had 3 years to get to 60, if you hate the grind there second and third times around, pick a class you wont get bored of or learn how to level quickly. I rolled an alt exactly one week ago and am pushing lv 40 already.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Jesus people, you have had 3 years to get to 60, if you hate the grind there second and third times around, pick a class you wont get bored of or learn how to level quickly. I rolled an alt exactly one week ago and am pushing lv 40 already.

Or you're a new player who just started and you have to do it the first time and it kills the whole game for you, because all you do is grind grind grind.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just going to go ahead and quote some rumor stuff from another forum. Most of it is roughly translated from German, so excuse the read.
    Shit.

If this is accurate, I'm going to go ahead and cancel my account. The Burning Crusade was a great first expansion, that improved most aspects of the game. It showed that they learned from their mistakes. However, it wasn't perfect. If this new expansion is as you say it is, then it'll show they've stopped learning, and the game will only go downhill. No thanks.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    @Doc: Far too awesome. So it's impossible.

It's kind of funny that the entire planet's greatest living heroes are either exiled or insane.

Well, except for Thrall. But Thrall is awesome.

But Kal'McMagic addict, Illidan Stormcrazypants, Jaina Fuckthishit, and Alleria Imreallyintheremoreislereallypleasedon'tforgetaboutme all got the shaft.

Oh and the Nelf bitch is fine. But Malfurion is about 100 times more awesome then her, and now he's probably crazy too.

Lore fuckover.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Or you're a new player who just started and you have to do it the first time and it kills the whole game for you, because all you do is grind grind grind.

Nobody complained about 1-60 at the games launch. And like Blizzard gives a shit, they are making about a billion dollars a year from subscriptions even if you lowball the population estimates. They can afford to neglect the majority of players and cater to the hardcore.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And also, I'm calling it.

The New race is goblins.

Transporter on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

What grind? you can easily level to 60 without ever grouping, entering an instance, or grinding. If you grind Exp in wow from 1-60 it's because you want to.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is going to sound petty in the grand scheme of things but seriously vanilla WoW stuff needs a fucking graphics upgrade.

When a single Starcraft 2 unit has more polygons then a WoW character there is seriously something wrong.

Seriously how many:

Gnolls
    Murlocs
    Spiders
    Hyenas
    Wolves
    Ogres
    Raptors
    Kobolds

do you kill in the course of a single character and I'm not even talking about PC or real NPC's like this game's only saving grace graphically is that the art/texture style compliments low polys acceptably (barely).

Also buck Blizzard give people the option for better draw distances. When there are PC's that can run games like Crysis with milti mile draw distances I should not have a problem seeing what is 100 feet infront of me.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, there's exactly one hero class, and its role is dps/tanking. Yeah, we definitely needed another class in those roles.

And there's nothing revamping the below-70 game. Regarding the whole 20-60 whining thing, it's there because the zones are far, far worse than the draenei/be starting areas, and because there is virtually no grouping until you hit 60+ these days. In the first 1.5 years or so, there were tons of people leveling, world pvping, etc., and that stuff is virtually dead. Even on one of the expansion servers, most of the competent people can't be bothered to do instances anymore it seems.

Sure, Blizzard can *afford* to ignore the majority, but it's an idiotic business decision to do so.

I agree with the poster from EQ2, the EOF expansion which didn't raise the level cap but instead introduced a new road to level 1-70 was great for that game. Of course the EQ2 old world was way more borked than the WoW old world.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the point is the 1-60 content is incredibly boring for long time players. I gave WoW another shot after BC came out and I really couldn't make it past level 48. I thought playing as one of the new races would make things better but in the end I was still killing the same tigers and wolves.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is going to sound petty in the grand scheme of things but seriously vanilla WoW stuff needs a fucking graphics upgrade.

When a single Starcraft 2 unit has more polygons then a WoW character there is seriously something wrong.

Seriously how many:

Gnolls
    Murlocs
    Spiders
    Hyenas
    Wolves
    Ogres
    Raptors
    Kobolds

do you kill in the course of a single character and I'm not even talking about PC or real NPC's like this game's only saving grace graphically is that the art/texture style compliments low polys acceptably (barely).

Also buck Blizzard give people the option for better draw distances. When there are PC's that can run games like Crysis with milti mile draw distances I should not have a problem seeing what is 100 feet infront of me.

The reason WoW is so popular, and a major factor in its huge success in China and asia, is that it can almost run off of a calculator. It scales more than probably any other game on the market.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Seriously how many:

Gnolls
    Murlocs
    Spiders
    Hyenas
    Wolves
    Ogres
    Raptors
    Kobolds

The reason WoW is so popular, and a major factor in its huge success in China and asia, is that it can almost run off of a calculator. It scales more than probably any other game on the market.

Yea and the scales stops too low. there is no reason blizzard with all their millions of dollars they have cant hire a small team of texture artists and modelers to give the old game a visual update that would be totally user independent. Hell Sony did it with EQ2's SOGA models for the asian market.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A: How do you know they arent?

B: Complaining about WoWs graphics is one step below complaining about the PS3s price. It has been done to death year in year out and a fraction of people agree/care. WoW has a good art style, runs well on any computer and visually is more impressive than a lot of more graphically based games, like Guild Wars.

I dont subscribe to the shallow 'more polys higher res textures' school of graphics. Art style and lighting are more important to me. and woW does them both better than most other games. Who the hell wants generic realistic humans and a bunch of shader crap we can do without for the sake of a decent art style and a unique and interesting visual mix.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    So the worst possible thing I could think of happened.

So the story now goes:

'The Lich King became the most powerful entity on Azeroth!

...and then sat on his throne for 6 years doing nothing until a raid of horde/alliance came to the palace and killed him'

Yeah, way to make good use of a great enemy Blizzard. I'd be outraged if I hadn't already been pushed to the point of not giving a shit by the whole Draenei fiasco.

They've been horribly screwing over the lore, sure, but that's an unfortunate consequence of needing to make a viable game. Turning major characters into raid bosses is the least that they've done, the Alliance/Horde conflict is far, far worse. People always whine about there not being enough war in Warcraft, but at the end of Warcraft 3, the conflict between the sides has been at least temporarily resolved.

But what they could do is have an expansion where the Lich King invades Azeroth and takes most of it over. The 20-60 level grind becomes much better, and a wealth of new high level content gets added to Azeroth. Rework all the class, improve the pvp, add a ton of new battlegrounds, add a new class or two, sort out the hero stuff etc. And have Arthas present as an arse kicking lich of awesome that you can't kill.

And then 3 expansions later deal with taking the fight to Arthas, then you can fight him properly. That way he stays the awesome bad guy, but you still get the inevitable showdown.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    A: How do you know they arent?

B: Complaining about WoWs graphics is one step below complaining about the PS3s price. It has been done to death year in year out and a fraction of people agree/care. WoW has a good art style, runs well on any computer and visually is more impressive than a lot of more graphically based games, like Guild Wars.

I dont subscribe to the shallow 'more polys higher res textures' school of graphics. Art style and lighting are more important to me. and woW does them both better than most other games. Who the hell wants generic realistic humans and a bunch of shader crap we can do without for the sake of a decent art style and a unique and interesting visual mix.

Putting words in my mouth aren't we? Are you trying to say that you can't have better looking player models without changing the art style?

And calling me shallow is a bunch of bullshit but I'm sorry WoW's graphics are subpar even for MMO's period

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Well if you wanted to play one of the new races you had to level 1-60.

So there's really no way to avoid that, really.

urahonky on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Wait. What?

Scarab, I think that WoW's graphics are bad sure, but they fit the mood of the game. (In fact, it probably wouldn't be as fun with updated graphics) But saying they're more impressive than Guild Wars is just being blind.

urahonky on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

What grind? you can easily level to 60 without ever grouping, entering an instance, or grinding. If you grind Exp in wow from 1-60 it's because you want to.

All the quests in WOW are an insult to your intelligence (or at least mine, don't know about yours really) and thus becomes a grind. Even doing various instances is a grind, although with different graphics. There are no puzzles to solve, nothing that's dynamic or changing in any way. It's the exact same formula from level 1-60.

WOW lures casual players in with its absolutely brilliantly designed UI that's the most user friendly and intuitive I've seen in a MMO, despite it being a ripp-off and itself being constantly ripped-off all the time, and once youre swayed by it, and the incredibly detailed game world, you're stuck until you discover how one dimensional the game is.

I continue to play because I'm an artist myself and I want to see all the wonderful places they have put in. It reminds me of Ultima, where every little stone and shrubbery was placed by hand, and with an after thought. I recently played the LOTRO beta, and despite better graphics in some areas, the entire game just felt barren (and not in a good way) and without a soul.

I want in on the Tabula Rasa EU beta, damnit! :(

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know how people can complain about the 1-60 grind, at least when talking about MMO's. its probably one of the easiest grinds out there.

its the 70 sideways grind for non-raiders/non-pvpers that made me quit.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Wait. What?

Scarab, I think that WoW's graphics are bad sure, but they fit the mood of the game. (In fact, it probably wouldn't be as fun with updated graphics) But saying they're more impressive than Guild Wars is just being blind.

I'm inclined to agree with the guild wars comment. Everything i've seen of guild wars is.... uninspired. WoW feels whimsical and fun to me, but that boils down to personal opinion really.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »

Wait. What?

Guild Wars has pretty bleh graphics. BLOOM OVERLOAD.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    and the 1-60 grind isn't hard.... its just fucking boring. I have an alt thats been stuck at level 39 for months because i cant bare to play her more than 10 minutes.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    eobet wrote:
    Once youre swayed by it, and the incredibly detailed game world, you're stuck until you discover how one dimensional the game is. I want in on the Tabula Rasa EU beta, damnit!

I haven't played it, but if there's one consistent theme coming out of TR NDA leaks, it's that Tabula Rasa has a good setting and plot but a ton of grindy, "go kill x" "go kill x for drop y" gameplay.

I can't wait for WAR, where you can level entirely by pvping and doing public and tome (epic?) quests. Like Zephos said, 1-60 in WoW is incredibly boring, at least after you've played a couple hundred hours of it. Isolating single creatures and burning them down is the exact same thing every damn time, with maybe a skill or two different if the creature is a caster vs. a warrior or rogue. All I wind up thinking about while I grind is calculating how many times I'll repeat the same action before I have to eat/drink.

It wouldn't even be that hard to fix. Why aren't there lots of things that require multipulls of various combinations of weaker creatures (would feel a lot more heroic than continually isolating and burning down single mobs)? Why not make various terrain features give you advantages so you have to think about where you fight? Why not give puzzle components to 1 in 5 quests? Why not adjust group exp so there's no disincentive to group, or at least you can run instances several times without sacrificing xp gain?

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    And calling me shallow is a bunch of bullshit but I'm sorry WoW's graphics are subpar even for MMO's period

The difference being that WoW's engine made me vow to never ever play an MMO where I have to change between zones every 200 meters because the engine can't handle loading an entire continent on demand.

Echo on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    As for the whole re-rolling thing, I'm sorry that while you were making an alt for the second or third time I was in Iraq. Twice. All of my online friends have 70s and I totally hate grinding this out by myself. (And it is grinding. If I kill a mob for buzzard spleens, or I kill x of them so an NPC feels justified, that's still grinding.) The Draenei and Blood Elf starting areas rock in comparison to everything after. Maybe my tolerance for "hurry up and level" has gotten too low.

Then again, I like having fun. Being alone on the internet is not having fun. At least WAR will sate my interest in that I can PvP for experience.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Echo wrote: »

The difference being that WoW's engine made me vow to never ever play an MMO where I have to change between zones every 200 meters because the engine can't handle loading an entire continent on demand.

Fair enough but still I don't think its unreasonable to ask for an optional graphics upgrade download.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Blizzard really needs to innovate instead of do the same old stuff again.

Really.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Echo wrote: »

Fair enough but still I don't think its unreasonable to ask for an optional graphics upgrade download.

and im sure if it was as easy as simply saying hey lets do this and having it done instantly, it would have been done a while ago.

Angry on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Really.

Why? Does Blizzard really need to move away from the things that are making them boatloads of money? I'm thinking no.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    jb7jb7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Really.

Why? Does Blizzard really need to move away from the things that are making them boatloads of money? I'm thinking no.

Yeah, why should Blizzard give a shit about needy assholes when they have plenty of other happy customers.

NOTE: Was looking at a bit from the Blizzard perspective, not say at all that anyone in this thread is a needy asshole. I would in fact be one of those assholes.

jb7 on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If that babelfish translation is legit, I'm not exactly impressed. I don't like the idea of Arthas being a raid boss. It just feels off. IMO, he's better off being the barely seen invincible badass of the world. If the players can meet him, they shouldn't have the ability to destroy him.

I'm also skeptical/disappointed of the Hero Class info. I like the idea of a tank/dps combo class, but I don't get rolling a new level-50 character. Becoming a Death Knight should be a choice for an existing player character. Hell, give a PC a trinket as a quest reward giving them access to Northrend without being attacked by Arthas' minions (but still free game for whatever random non-undead mobs are around), and let the character bend knee before the Lich King to become a Death Knight. Instantly lower their reputation to the shit level with everyone but Arthas.

I dunno...it just seems like Blizz is blowing their WOW load prematurely if this info is accurate. It just seems so half-assed:

Hero Classes? Check, but only one. It shortcuts the grind but seems tacked on as it doesn't enhance pre-existing characters, even though you need to do stuff with those pre-existing characters to gain access to the new class.

New continent? Check, Northrend (the most interesting/mysterious known area released in only the 2nd expansion).

New raids? Check, including Arthas, apparently (how long until "Roll on Frostmourne?" :shudder: ).

New profession? Check, inscription. Still no woodcutting/crafting profession.

New races? Doesn't look like it.

New core classes? Ditto.

I'm sure there will be new mounts, flying or otherwise, and other interesting fringe bits, but the meat of this expansion doesn't thrill me like TBC did. That said, I'll probably still reactivate my account, because I have no willpower. Dammit.

Nightslyr on