As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Thread: The tabletop game for people who can read.

1565758596062»

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    I'm somewhat concerned with the power escalation going on right now in some of the armies. Are any armies going to get toned down this edition? If they do, would they havea chance against some of the new stronger armies?

I heard somewhere, not a very reliable source though, that Tomb Kings are getting toned down a little bit.

Although I think we can expect them to just power up armies. I mean, what better way to get people to buy more minis than to appeal to their munchkin side?

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Honestly though, I'm not seeing much in the way of power creep at the moment.
    No, really.

High elves got ASF. Big whoop. That just abut brings them into line with a properly played Empire or Orc army.

VC got lost of cool new toys, sure, but they also got their basic summoning spell heavily nerfed and lost a lot of other cool(er) toys as well. And the whining about the loss of Necromancer Lords can be heard from orbit.

Whilst the Orcs did get some love, in their case this was really necessary because a lot of their stuff made no sense (Black Orc characters taking an extra hero slot for instance) compared to everyone else's lists.

Honestly, I hope the current trend continues, because the current trend is towards well thought out, fluffy, fun armies that are competitive under most conditions rather than only if you take units X,Y and Z with characters A and B.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    but they also got their basic summoning spell heavily nerfed

Actually this is not as true as I'd origionally heard. They still have a spell that can raise new units, a bound item that can raise new units, and the vampires can take bloodline abilities that lets them again raise a given type of undead above their starting number. Those bloodline powers cost about 15-20 points.

I've read reports that say 10-13 power dice won't be unusual for a VC army, and it's fairly easy to add a rank to each basic undead unit every turn. Spend a huge pile on characters, and buying minimum sized units to bolster with raising is still going to be viable.

I wont pass judgement until the book is out and i've seen the army played, but I'm just a bit concerned so far.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    However, if Bloodline Powers eat up magical items points, that'd be pretty balanced.

I mean, sure they'll be able to lock you up in combat, but if they screw up on rolls then it'd be pretty easy to beat them without all their magic toys.

Alazull on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alazull wrote: »
    However, if Bloodline Powers eat up magical items points, that'd be pretty balanced.

I mean, sure they'll be able to lock you up in combat, but if they screw up on rolls then it'd be pretty easy to beat them without all their magic toys.

They dont. Bloodline and magic item allocations are seperate. A vampire lord get 100points of powers AND 100 points of items.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, hard to say what the balance will really be like until the army sees a lot of action. I'm sure I won't be "concerned" when Chaos gets some love later this summer. Or when Ogres see a revision in like 15 years.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Actually this is not as true as I'd origionally heard. They still have a spell that can raise new units, a bound item that can raise new units, and the vampires can take bloodline abilities that lets them again raise a given type of undead above their starting number. Those bloodline powers cost about 15-20 points.

I've read reports that say 10-13 power dice won't be unusual for a VC army, and it's fairly easy to add a rank to each basic undead unit every turn. Spend a huge pile on characters, and buying minimum sized units to bolster with raising is still going to be viable.

I wont pass judgement until the book is out and i've seen the army played, but I'm just a bit concerned so far.
    The trouble is that those bloodline powers do cost points where they weren't necessary before and the range of the Invocation has been reduced. Overall the spell itself is much worse, but specific vampires can cast it better, maybe. And that will probably be at the expense of the other, cooler bloodline powers they can have.

And those thirteen PD you mentioned? That's for a level four Lord, three level two vampires and at least one with the extra PD power. Which means you aren't even going to have room for mundane armour on your vamps, as that is a bloodline "power".

Seriously, for every awesome new cool thing that people inevitably pick out and highlight, there will also be a drawback that either isn't mentioned or isn't commented on further.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Their hardon for direct, undisguised historical references shows through.

Oddly, that's exactly why I like it so much. It's an endless "what if" scenario with unifying themes and metaphysics; what if Martin Luther was put in charge of a late HRE gunline and attacked Melnibone?

I also don't see the power creep in play. Though I was told by a redshirt that people were going to "hate" VCs.

Just as everyone has said about every new army book for the past decade. Every time. Without fail.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I also don't see the power creep in play. Though I was told by a redshirt that people were going to "hate" VCs.

Just as everyone has said about every new army book for the past decade. Every time. Without fail.

Exactly. I was told by a store employee that everyone was going to hate the new HE book, especially because of the ASF rule. And at first everyone did, especially because it applied to Great Weapons.

But then you play a few games against the HE and you realize that they still have the same weaknesses against shooting, anti-magic, and anyone who can survive Str 5 attacks and has high armor saves on a regular basis. It's just that they made it so HE can play without going all cavalry and magic now.

In the VC example, a Vampire Lord is going to run into the same problem as a Dwarf Lord or any Lord probably does. To sink all those points into that character means you can't put them into other troops, and your other characters aren't going to be able to take as many points for their own stuff either. It's the old balance of potential over power.

Alazull on
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope they change Tomb Kings a bit as well. Not to much but a little bit.
    Like perhaps tone down ligth chariots a bit (not being unlimited with a king?) and make some other troop choices a bit more usefull.
    Oh, and also make low magic lists a bit more viable. It would be really fun to play a list that didn't require you to put every avalible hero slot into priests.

For example they could make units joined by kings or princes able to march move during the magic phase or just simply march move. Or something that makes low magic armies a bit more viable.

Fluff wise I think they should just cut undead cavalery out of the picture entirely but I guess that wouldn't work. Perhaps they could just give them ligth cav that works and cut "heavy" cav completly?

I don't know. I've read lots of Egyptian history and they never used horses for anything except chariots. Of course they didn't have giant scorpions either but those are bad ass.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't think Tk's are that overpowerd. I mean sure if your opponent is rolling with out alot of magic support, and TK have the ability run wild in the magic phase yes. but if your opponent is rolling alot of anti magic your boned as a tk player.

Sure tone down scorpions a bit. I'd give heavy horse a boost, to at least make them usable. Cause as is I never run with horse ever.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm also probably just paranoid about the power creep and it won't be as bad as my imagination is feeding to me.

With armies like TK, I don't know that chariots need to be toned down so much as they just need viable alternatives. Lots of armies suffer from that. Ogres need alternatives that are as effective as truckloads of Ironguts. Chaos needs some kind of viable alternative to knights, as warriors aren't nearly as effective. With armies that suffer from that, there's simply no reason to not take units like those and load your list heavily with them.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eaxactly. I'd roll more horse if they were a viable option.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I've started the process of magnetizing my Skaven tp the movement trays. Does that make me a genius, insane or both?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Though I was told by a redshirt that people were going to "hate" VCs.

Well... I already hate them. Does that count?

see wat i did thar? :winky:

Joeslop: I've thought of doing that. How hard is it to pull them from the tray? I mean... it would be a hassle to have to hold the tray an pull them off one by one...

Estilo on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Estilo wrote: »
    Joeslop: I've thought of doing that. How hard is it to pull them from the tray? I mean... it would be a hassle to have to hold the tray an pull them off one by one...

I don't actually know yet; I just ordered the magnets yesterday. I do have one that found one day, its about twice as big as the ones I ordered and it's pretty strong so we'll see.

But honestly I think the fact that they won't ever fall off would more than make up for the minor annoyance of having to hold the tray down to take them off. Especially these stupid standard bearers.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, screw those banner guys. Who told them they could be so good at catching my sleeves so as to fling themselves at shit...

Estilo on
  • Options
    RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »
    So I've started the process of magnetizing my Skaven tp the movement trays. Does that make me a genius, insane or both?
    I'll be doing that myself as soon as I find some thin galvanized steel I can put into my movement trays.

I HATE taking 40 minutes to set my trays up (all my clanrats are numbered)

-R

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Draeven wrote: »

I use heavy horsemen to great effect. Add them to a chariot charge to cause an autobreak on fear.

Edit: Also Tomb kings is one of the most balanced list ATM. Chariot lists are good yes, but Infantry lists are also viable, shooty armies are viable, monster heavy is viable. Really the only thing Tk's need is a re-jig of the magic items. As much as I love DOE it is stupidly overpowered.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    garicgaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »
    As much as I love DOE it is stupidly overpowered.

Ah ha you finaly admit it...... damn i hate that thing.

garic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Which armies still need updating after VC?

I know Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, and definitely OK, but aren't most up to 7th edition?

Alazull on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Skaven, Wood Elves, Bretts, Chaos, Beastmen...

...And Chaos Dwarfs.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Brets need a fixup. 90% of their magic items are complete crap, especially the arcane items carried by the Damels. There's no reason to give them anything but scrolls. They need to at least address if/how the lance formation is affected by the change to 5-wide (I think it's fine at 3 wide with it's current rules). Peg knights need to be looked at.

Dark Elves are on the schedule already and from everything i've ever heard, they need an update pretty badly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all the chaos factions.

So yeah, pretty much everyone :P Wood elves were done very recently though, Uts.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lance formation always took precedence over the standard frontage rules anyway.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Brets need a fixup. 90% of their magic items are complete crap, especially the arcane items carried by the Damels. There's no reason to give them anything but scrolls. They need to at least address if/how the lance formation is affected by the change to 5-wide (I think it's fine at 3 wide with it's current rules). Peg knights need to be looked at.

Dark Elves are on the schedule already and from everything i've ever heard, they need an update pretty badly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all the chaos factions.

So yeah, pretty much everyone :P Wood elves were done very recently though, Uts.

So were Ogres but they're both technically 6th, so I'd wager they'll come last again.

Bretts could afford some rebalancing; Pegasus Knights probably should have been a 0-1 unit of no more than 4 or 5 knights. I can't see why having a Lord on a pegasus suddenly makes a flying circus army OK.

EDIT: Yes, the Lance Formation rules specifically state what their size is, as opposed to whatever the 'standard' size is. Arguments over its size in 7th are one reason I stopped reading Warseer past the rumor roundups. If I had to deal with that in person I simply wouldn't waste time playing against them.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    RubberchristRubberchrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

There is a DE player out here who describes his army as being capable of one of two types of lists.

there are:
    A lists) "Get over here so we can kick your butt..... wait! Oh, god no! Not like that, ahhhhhh we're dead"

or

B lists) "Stay there, we're coming over there to kick you're butt! Oh, wait, crap, we didn't count on that! AAAAGGGHHH!"

His exact words. From what I've seen it's pretty much the case.

-R

Rubberchrist on
    "Nurgle has got to be my favorite chaos god, fluff wise...
    He's portrayed as this sort of jovial, jolly old guy who thinks that rotting apocolyptic plague is funny as hell... So basically he's a big ole fat bastard who thinks giving you a scorching case of the herp is a big laugh."
    ---Erandus
    Gallery and Blog:
    http://brushandputty.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's also the "PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW!" list.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think that falls under Type A.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Games Workshop could probably stand to take a year off the whole putting on tournaments and making new miniatures and standardizing the model range crap, and focus their attention on updating all armies.

I mean, weren't Vampire Counts still stuck in 4ed before they decided to update it? That's pretty much crap, actually, I think that could be one of the denotative meanings of the word crap.

EDIT: I also really think it's crap that they decided to alter the online store just at the start of tournament season. It is literally like they want me to use e-Bay and other sites to buy my models.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Games Workshop could probably stand to take a year off the whole putting on tournaments and making new miniatures and standardizing the model range crap, and focus their attention on updating all armies.

Considering they have to update all the 40k armies plus all the fantasy armies on a rotating schedule, I think they actually do a moderately decent job of it. You have to considering all the playtesting time for each new army to make sure that it's not ricockulous or has truley massively unfair advantages over any other army. It would have to be playtested against all the other armies, tweaked, retested against all armies, tweaked, etc, etc. For every 40k army and every fantasy army. I can't even imagine trying to balance everything if ALL the armies were in a state of flux and re-write.

Thats a fuckin' lotta books to write and a lotta games to playtest. Now, I'm not gonna say if I think their playtesters are worth a shit, but I do think that while the pace seems glacial to those of us eagerly awaiting our book's release.... man thats a fucking lotta work. Plus there's LotR in the mix now. One fantasy book every couple months is about all we can hope for.

GW's in the business of selling models, when you get down to it. They need the model releases to be steady enough to keep the money flowing in, and I bet the GT's are a pretty good sales point for them. I honestly don't know if GW could afford to shut down GT's and re-do everything like that.

I hear what you're sayin' for sure, but i just dont know if the logistics of the business they're in would allow for something like that.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Uhwah? 4th Ed.?! Um, hell no. For a start, fourth Ed. army books are not compatible with the current system in several fundamental ways. Then there's the part where "Vampire Counts" as an army didn't exist until Sixth edition - previously it was "the Undead". VC and TK were separated out ad given their dues in terms of fluff and play style etc. The first and last VC book was published near the beginning of Sixth Edition. We are now near the beginning of Seventh.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Correctamundo, though I suppose if he were confusing VC with simply 'the Undead', then yes, Undead has not had an army book since 4th/5th. :P

Everyone got updated for 6th, which is still compatible with 7th. Hell, even Chaos Dwarfs got an official list in 6th Edition.
    Chaos Dwarfs are the best army and you're all dumb and boring for not owning their book.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Owning the 4th edition book? That's actually one of the few I don't have. Hmm...

Also, I actually saw something intelligent said on Warseer. In reference to potential of a scaled-up WFB "Apocalypse"; "...before tournamnets and rules lawyers turned it into a science."

Agreed so hard. I loathe the profilernation of tournamnets.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You have to considering all the playtesting time for each new army to make sure that it's not ricockulous or has truley massively unfair advantages over any other army. It would have to be playtested against all the other armies, tweaked, retested against all armies, tweaked, etc, etc.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You have to considering all the playtesting time for each new army to make sure that it's not ricockulous or has truley massively unfair advantages over any other army. It would have to be playtested against all the other armies, tweaked, retested against all armies, tweaked, etc, etc.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You laugh, but it's true.

RE VC: having seen the new vamps played, I can safely say it's certainly a tough nut to crack, but it's not exactly scary for anyone with solid anti-magic. Besides, any army where you can invest 50% or more of your points in one unit (Blood Knights) has GOT to be fun to play against, right... right?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think he's laughing at the idea that GW actually (allegedly) playtest their material. If someone told me, with a straight face, that GW rigorously Playtested all the Warhammer armies so that they were perfectly balanced, my response would be much the same. Snrk! Balance! Ahahaaaa!

Page 100! New thread time! I claim this one.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.