Options

Ubisoft do Ads in Games Right for Once.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm Canadian as well, and changing my country to United States worked just fine.

I really like this delivery system. I wish more games were released this way. I just wish there were different ads, McD's gets a little boring after awhile.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    PoP ad screenshot
    popadch1.jpg
    There are similar banners during saving too. The nice thing about them being McDonald's ads is that I know they won't affect me-I'll never eat there unless it's a choice between doing so or starving to death.

Edit: Look, they couldn't even find an edible-looking hamburger for the goddamn ad.

Are there ads in-game? As in when you're running around and stuff?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PoP ad screenshot
    popadch1.jpg
    There are similar banners during saving too. The nice thing about them being McDonald's ads is that I know they won't affect me-I'll never eat there unless it's a choice between doing so or starving to death.

Edit: Look, they couldn't even find an edible-looking hamburger for the goddamn ad.

Are there ads in-game? As in when you're running around and stuff?

I've experienced none so far, having played around 2.5 hours into the game. I've noticed the following ads:

1. Occasionally when going through menu screens (or loading into the game, not during gameplay) a pop-up window will show some stupid dollar menu video. It lasts around 30 seconds - I usually just mute my volume and sit through it.
    2. A good portion of the menu screens have dollar menu banners on them like the screenshot previously posted. They're pretty benign.
    3. Occasionally when going through menu screens (I found changing the game settings did it frequently), the game will auto-minimize and bring you to some ign webpage featuring more dollar menu ads. Pretty annoying.

In game there appear to be no ad related changes except for some banners in the save menu.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ghost Recon available at Gamershell. It's a fast download too. Gogogogogogogo! It's a classic, and by classic I mean really great. And awesome.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Looks like the Ubisoft site was playing silly buggers with my profile. Tried a few more times and it finally stuck.

Now Far Cry keeps asking for a CD-key when going into online multiplayer. :|

Suriko on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    Looks like the Ubisoft site was playing silly buggers with my profile. Tried a few more times and it finally stuck.

I would think that they would want multiplayer to be enabled, I am sure F.E.A.R. multiplayer gets increased LAN play because it is a free download.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hear the Prince is actually replaced with the Hamburglar? True/false?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Any of you guys playing Far Cry on a dual core rig? Mine's running at super speed (dual core issue I'm assuming) but if I recall correctly I installed the XP fix when I formatted last. D:

edit: I'm a retard. Set affinity = fixed.

powersurge on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

They don't give out keys for this version so it is single player only. If you want to play multiplayer, you'll have to shell out 10$ for the full game.

stigweard on
  • Options
    MaoxrMaoxr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    People, to remove the ads before every loading screen in Farcry have fraps running during the game.

Maoxr on
  • Options
    NohmanNohman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Maoxr wrote: »
    People, to remove the ads before every loading screen in Farcry have fraps running during the game.

Ok, perhaps an unpopular view, but if you are going to do your damndest to remove the ads, why not just pirate the game?

I mean that as an honest question, neither cost you any money, and neither are then helping the developers in any way.

Nohman on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yeah, by finding ways to remove the ads from the games ("hurr free games chumps!"), then that doesn't exactly encourage anyone else to do the same thing. Then you'll go complain about the prices you have to pay for games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I hear the Prince is actually replaced with the Hamburglar? True/false?

That would be beyond awesome.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They should just put relevant ads. Instead of McDonald's (who here actually eats that stuff?) maybe have some tech or upcoming releases.

(I haven't actually downloaded one, but from what you guys have said it seems to be mainly McDonalds ads)

EDIT: If you're really keen on not seeing any ads, I know of a way to remove them,
    buy the game.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There are bits in the ads for other stuff as well. Like there is an IGN ad inside a McDonalds ad.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    There are bits in the ads for other stuff as well. Like there is an IGN ad inside a McDonalds ad.

just need that IGN ad to be about the ad-supported Far Cry download, and you'll get to hear what it sounds like when a pc implodes.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »

just need that IGN ad to be about the ad-supported Far Cry download, and you'll get to hear what it sounds like when a pc implodes.

Well, the ign ad is advertised as being brought to you by McDonalds as a free guide to the game you're currently playing. The game will sometimes minimize itself and open up a browser window to http://guides.ign.com/. Where you can see more McDonald's ads.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Will a 360 controller work on PoP?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SoaL wrote: »
    They should just put relevant ads. Instead of McDonald's (who here actually eats that stuff?) maybe have some tech or upcoming releases.

(I haven't actually downloaded one, but from what you guys have said it seems to be mainly McDonalds ads)

EDIT: If you're really keen on not seeing any ads, I know of a way to remove them,
    buy the game.

I love McDonald's. Now I want some and I'm going to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one just to eat a Big Mac. Thanks, faggot. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm not sure. I'm using an Xbox 1 controller that I modded to go into a PC USB port, and it has worked with everything else I've tried, but this game isn't recognizing it all.

KBAM is vastly inferior for this game, but it is serviceable.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The 360 controller works with Two Thrones, not the previous two POP's.

I'm not able to get my PS2toUSB pad to work at all, nor change the default keyboard controls so I can use JoytoKey. JoytoKey doesn't like using the mouse buttons, so I can't attack or use special actions with it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really? Fuck. Then I have to get Far Cry.

I'd rather pay 5 bucks and be comfortable then get it for free and be completely uncomfortable.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Im installing Ghost Recon now to see what that is like.

I'll update you with how the ads are.

Ghost Recon's ads so far are VERY unobtrusive. I only did Training mission stuff so far, but the only ads are when you load the game up so far. Before you can access the menu there is a 10secp review of PoP: Swords or whatever. Then there is a Subway banner on the Main Menu page.

GR1.jpg

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Uh, is it just me or did they take down Ghost Recon? I can't seem to find it on fileplanet.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Uh, is it just me or did they take down Ghost Recon? I can't seem to find it on fileplanet.

Seems so. :(

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It was never on Fileplanet I think. It just went back to the main page when you clicked download. Gamershell has it, though. No lines and super fast downloads.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

buy the game.

I love McDonald's. Now I want some and I'm going to drive 30 minutes to the nearest one just to eat a Big Mac. Thanks, faggot. :P

Seek help.

It's been said, but the ads would be more effective if it was something where I didn't recoil in horror a little bit every time the picture of their product showed up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Seems so. :(

Yeah, I got it from Gamershell as linked on the last page:
    Ghost Recon available at Gamershell. It's a fast download too. Gogogogogogogo! It's a classic, and by classic I mean really great. And awesome.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

buy the game.

Seek help.

It's been said, but the ads would be more effective if it was something where I didn't recoil in horror a little bit every time the picture of their product showed up.

I'm going to tie you down and force-feed you fucking Big Macs and Quarter Pounders until you die. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are American McDonalds just really nasty in general? Everyone's always wailing on them, but Danish McDonalds are fucking great.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

buy the game.

Seek help.

I'm going to tie you down and force-feed you fucking Big Macs and Quarter Pounders until you die. :P

did.. i just click a link to 4chan?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    spyware?

is there spyware?

also, can't get File Planet to download. Do I need to make an account there/pay for it?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    spyware?

is there spyware?

also, can't get File Planet to download. Do I need to make an account there/pay for it?
    I love it when avatars sync up with the post like this. There's no spyware that I know of, and there are free accounts you can get on fileplanet.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They all include Double Fusion, which is pretty much Spyware.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They all include Double Fusion, which is pretty much Spyware.

That said, it does not really seem malicious in intent, and I imagine that once you uninstall the game, it goes away too.

I found an interview with the CEO of Double Fusion at Gamasutra. It's a lot of business talk, but at least they're out there in the game journalism trying to explain what they do.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I finished the first level of Ghost Recon. Pretty fun game I missed out on in the past.

My only complaint is that the same damn Prince of Persia: Rival Swords commercial plays everytime you load a mission/restart the level. I bet the game is good, but the preview for it is awful.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Played through around 80% of Sands of Time, came across what might be a game ending bug. When climbing out of the Torture Chamber ("A Prisoner Seeking an Escape"), every time I hit the second ladder on the way up, Farah suffers a fall death. I haven't reunited with her, so there's nothing I can control to stop it from happening. I might go a few sections back in the story and see if there's anything I can do before I split up from her to prevent it.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A word to the wise - with any PoP game, alternate saves.

Not played it in ages, but iirc there are a couple of game-breaking glitches in the SoT trilogy.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, a nice luxury of the PC version is that I've got saves ready for just about every segment of the game. Overall it's not as complete of an experience as I've felt the console versions gave me. I've been having constant issues with inconsistent volumes -- some voice acting is near inaudible while others come out strong, and some of the general sound effects are horrendously loud.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thread title is misleading and needs to be changed. I skimmed over this thread dozens of times thinking it was a stupid dicussion about ads in games, no where did anybody mention there were FREE GAMES!

rayofash on