Options

Ubisoft do Ads in Games Right for Once.

• Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know why there's a problem downloading Ghost Recon. Has anyone else been able to download it?

unpurposed on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So it seems that the Fileplanet download manager is completely awesome. I started the download a few hours ago, but forgot about it after waiting in line for a bit. When I finally checked back, the download was done, without having required any confirmation from me to actually start it.

Can't get that kind of thing from Rapidshare.

jothki on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got my download working-I just had to wait really long for the setup to get going for some reason. These ads in PoP:SoT really aren't intrusive at all so far, I hope this kind of thing catches on for more games.

Darlan on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Far Cry runs a McDonalds ad whenever it starts or loads a level.

tofu on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Give it 3 days and someone will have made an Ad- free patch.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    So it seems that the Fileplanet download manager is completely awesome. I started the download a few hours ago, but forgot about it after waiting in line for a bit. When I finally checked back, the download was done, without having required any confirmation from me to actually start it.

Can't get that kind of thing from Rapidshare.

I implore any PA'er who downloads lots of patches and demos to give this a go. I'm just a basic free member to Fileplanert and have got about 20GB from there in the past month. Auto-queue and starting. Great download tool. No adware or anything.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Any screens of this in action?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Yup, which is likely why it won't take off.

A shame too, because this kind of advertising I can get behind. Non-intrusive ads that REDUCE the price of the games. Granted, these are a bit dated, but if we could see nice price cuts in modern titles I'd be for it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm so in on this, i';ve never played a PoP title but i wanted to give it a try.

just how bad are the ads exactly?

I couldn't find a post referencing it.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just got to ask, is there a coop mode in Farcry or is there any mod that lets you play the main game together with other players?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just got to ask, is there a coop mode in Farcry or is there any mod that lets you play the main game together with other players?

I recall playing a Far Cry co-op mod a while back that was really buggy, sometimes players would shoot and the blood splatters will be all over the enmies and they would not even take damage. Also the client side player would trigger events and A.I into doing things. So other players could run ahead and shoot enemies before their AI script would run. Hilarious.

Dunno how it is now though, I have'nt had FC on my PC for years.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The PoP ads aren't too bad... but all this game does is make me want to play T2T

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I Need screens of this hot ad action.

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Now can we have the reverse? You know, games that you pay money for and don't have ads in them?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Monaro wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »
    Are you sure it finished properly? File planet has a habit of truncating files when they are under heavy load. I still have another 3 hours before mine finishes (the download isn't even using an 8th of my bandwidth).

Dammit, wish I knew that before deleting a 3GB America's Army due to a missing or corrupt archive.

180411ss_sm2.jpg

I don't remember that bit at any stage of POP: SoT...

He looks "cooler" so it's probably from the later games.

I'm fairly sure that's from Two thrones, and it's a bitch of a fight. "Here, do this puzzle, but if you're not done 3 seconds ago you'll die. Now for some context-sensitive combat where if you fail you'll have to do the puzzle over again. Good! Now do it again! Good! Ok, now you can actually fight him"

Wha? I found that fight to be pretty easy. A small bit of platforming followed by a few timed presses on the attack button.
    Some people just kept smashing the attack button as soon as they were grabbed instead of waiting for the cue and complained about their failure as a "glitch".

My last platformer, before PoP:TTT, was like, Sonic. I'd been basically turned into an RPG whore, with some 4x and maybe a Zelda game and maybe an FPS every now and then. So I totally wasn't prepared for a boss fight of "Don't actually attack him".

I mean, come on, how am I supposed to know that stabbing a guy with a knife isn't going to hurt him one bit? Of course, attacking him with a knife does hurt him, but only when the knife is glowing if you've jumped on a platform first.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Yup, which is likely why it won't take off.

A shame too, because this kind of advertising I can get behind. Non-intrusive ads that REDUCE the price of the games. Granted, these are a bit dated, but if we could see nice price cuts in modern titles I'd be for it.
    The way they are implemented in Rayman is extremely intrusive. For a minigame game, you see ads longer than you play the minigame at times. It wouldnt be so bad if it had different ads, but the same stupid ad everytime is annoying.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So screenshots aren't a possibility here....are they?

Xeno on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    McDonald's should stop advertising. We already know they have a dollar menu and that their burgers are fucking roadkill on a bun.

That being said, the ads aren't that bad. I would still rather pay for the games, but I think this is a good way to deliver older games to people that may have missed them.

Da da da da da.... I'm lovin` it.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    11 hours till I can possibly attempt to play Far Cry.
    It can run on a 9600 right?

Yes.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PoP ad screenshot
    popadch1.jpg
    There are similar banners during saving too. The nice thing about them being McDonald's ads is that I know they won't affect me-I'll never eat there unless it's a choice between doing so or starving to death.

Edit: Look, they couldn't even find an edible-looking hamburger for the goddamn ad.

Darlan on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Whenever I have eaten at McDonalds, I've allways wanted to wind back time to un-eat it, so it is quite fitting.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is pretty amazing. I never got around to playing Far Cry, but I know that I want to.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    PoP ad screenshot

There are similar banners during saving too. The nice thing about them being McDonald's ads is that I know they won't affect me-I'll never eat there unless it's a choice between doing so or starving to death.

Edit: Look, they couldn't even find an edible-looking hamburger for the goddamn ad.

Well, that doesn't seem bad at all (specially considering the stuff of nightmares that many believed could be). Seems I'll give it a shot... later.

And yeah, considering they're McDonald's ads I can pretty much ignore them.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, McDonalds? I mean, couldn't it have been something better? And by better I mean NOT bright yellow.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately the multiplayer in Far Cry is locked out because the download doesn't come with a CD key, but otherwise, I'm pleased. At least the single player doesn't have McDonald's billboards added to the island.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No interest in these games myself, but this new form of in-game advertising leads me to wonder...

Would gamers accept a system where all games were lower in price initially, both in stores and online, and would feature advertisements during loading screens, in menus, and such? Then, similar to XBOX Live points cards, we could buy in stores, or through the XBOX Live Marketplace, advertisement-removing patches that would basically bring the cost of the game back to what we pay now?

Gamers who wouldn't care about ads would be saving money, those of us who hate them would still end up paying the same as we do not, and not have to see them?

Don't throw stones! Just curious!

igamenekkid on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would love it if ads actually made games cheaper, so we'll have to see what they do with these.

The idea to "buy off" ads in a game is interesting, but I could easily see some publishers *coughEAcough* loading games with even more ads in the hope that people will pay to get rid of them. Not only that, but they see someone willing to pay to remove ads, then it's also possible for ads to not be the "cheaper" method of purchasing, but to continue piling ads into full-priced games and make the ad-free ones "Premium."

Dartboy on
  • Options
    igamenekkidigamenekkid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not only that, but they see someone willing to pay to remove ads, then it's also possible for ads to not be the "cheaper" method of purchasing, but to continue piling ads into full-priced games and make the ad-free ones "Premium."

That would be a fear of mine too. Perhaps as Microsoft oversees custom soundtrack support, it could also oversee this? Dangerous territory, too dangerous perhaps.

In-game ads in titles like Crackdown and Ghost Recon are basically invisible to me after seeing them once, and heck the Carls Jr. trucks in Burnout (or Need For Speed, I forget) are too. I prefer my advertisements in the form of what Halo 3 is doing, partnering outside of my game environment with companies to release soft drinks and the such. Should they implement something like what I suggested above I would certainly pay the unlock fee, therefore keeping my games at full retail cost, but I like the idea that games might find their way into the hands of more gamers should they have ads by default, and a reduced price.

igamenekkid on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wouldn't be suprised if someone patches out the ads in the games soon.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like McDonalds D: Unhealthy, so I never eat there, but I think it tastes good.

Has anyone gotten the Ghost Recon download to work? The link takes me back to the main page and I can't get to it through the download manager (which I agree is awesome).

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wouldn't be suprised if someone patches out the ads in the games soon.

Wouldn't it just be easier to pirate the games instead? I don't see why anyone would bother to crack a 5 year old game that is somewhere in the torrent net.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    so, the games don't come packaged with spyware, the ads are built into the game itself?

hmm.

Kriz on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The games use Double Fusion software according to the eula, which is technically spyware. Whether the ads change or not, it is aggregating information about your area, your ip, the times you play, how long you stay on ad pages, etc... There is nothing personally identifiable, other than your ip which is one step removed.

stigweard on
  • Options
    NexelauNexelau Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Downloaded Far Cry but unfortuantely its corrupted somehow, hate that >.<

Will have to try again sometime.

Looks like a nice way of doing it though.

Nexelau on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    first, they are using a Two Thrones screenshot for the SoT.

second, how do I download these? do I have to pay to make an account?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i know people will want to patch out the ads and all, but i really hope they don't. If ad-supported software means we get free stuff, then i'm for it. If people patching out the ads means free stuff gets taken away from us, then i'm opposed to them.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Just hcange your Ubisoft profile to US and run it again. I deleted mien but someone else in here pointed out you could do that.

stigweard on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Just hcange your Ubisoft profile to US and run it again. I deleted mien but someone else in here pointed out you could do that.

Sweet, thanks dude.

edit: Still no dice. Does it check system locale?

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    GogoKodo managed it and he's in Canada. Maybe it is checking the ip as well?

stigweard on