Options

How do Japanese and American tastes differ?

• Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I haven't finished reading the entire thread, and I'm a late comer to this interesting discussion, but I've got one question, has there been any japanese making a statement here so far? From what I've read, and granted I haven't read much, it's pretty much a third party perspective of what Japan is.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    I haven't finished reading the entire thread, and I'm a late comer to this interesting discussion, but I've got one question, has there been any japanese making a statement here so far? From what I've read, and granted I haven't read much, it's pretty much a third party perspective of what Japan is.

The 1up article does have some Japanese developers talking about the differences.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    maybe you mean sprung. Which is one of the best games ever.

Fix'd No opinion required.

I never actually played it, but I bought 16 copies on clearance at 97p each, which when traded in paid for a DS lite + NSMB

LewieP on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    maybe you mean sprung. Which is one of the best games ever.

Fix'd No opinion required.

I never actually played it, but I bought 16 copies on clearance at 97p each, which when traded in paid for a DS lite + NSMB

Exactly. I did a similar thing in the states, but a friend about a year ago bought it with three dollars left on a gift card and we went through it. The girl part was easy, but being a guy involved this tricky as shit memorization thing that is not well explained at all. It's a terrible game, but awesome at the same time. You know your system is a winner when it has a launch dating sim.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I continually do and will choose Japanese Games until I die. If I wanted a borefest, a D&D game "Oh look I threw a D20, I got armour save! Lets meet Girls! I throw a D6 and got "How You doing!"", or a snorefest, I will choose and spoil my collection with American Games.

Until then I shall Choose JRPG/SRPG/Fighting Games/Any other games from Japan to put into my collection.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I continually do and will choose Japanese Games until I die. If I wanted a borefest, a D&D game "Oh look I threw a D20, I got armour save! Lets meet Girls! I throw a D6 and got "How You doing!"", or a snorefest, I will choose and spoil my collection with American Games.

Until then I shall Choose JRPG/SRPG/Fighting Games/Any other games from Japan to put into my collection.

Don't they have a word for people like you?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    opticaloptical Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Don't they have a word for people like you?

weaboo

optical on
    optical.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Is that as derisive as it should be? Probably not. Needs more lol japan.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Call it whatever you like, I just find more Japanese games that have better stories and better graphical styles than American games.

And I have played Icewind Dale/Baldurs Gate. Guess how long that lasted? Especially in ID? "Oh yeah I got the sword of +5 when I am near the lake. Oh wait the game in centered around the Lake!" Thats the most stupidest weapon I ever saw. And Baldurs Gate had the most stupidest story. "Oh I am a God, Can I be good or evil?" Thats the most common story around. around a day or two, I got what the story would turn out to be and said, "Well that lasted a couple of days. Maybe they can make games where I can just be God or the Devil. A two minute game."

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    And I have played Icewind Dale/Baldurs Gate. Guess how long that lasted? Especially in ID? "Oh yeah I got the sword of +5 when I am near the lake. Oh wait the game in centered around the Lake!" Thats the most stupidest weapon I ever saw. And Baldurs Gate had the most stupidest story. "Oh I am a God, Can I be good or evil?" Thats the most common story around. around a day or two, I got what the story would turn out to be and said, "Well that lasted a couple of days. Maybe they can make games where I can just be God or the Devil. A two minute game."

This post must be written in Engrish, because I see words, but they make no sense.

Echo on
  • Options
    Jblade35Jblade35 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't understand how you can say Japanese games have better stories since the large majority of them are incomprehensible at best unless you put a serious amount of time into unravelling them. Longer does not make it better.

Jblade35 on
  • Options
    opticaloptical Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Call it whatever you like, I just find more Japanese games that have better stories and better graphical styles than American games.

Thats a valid complaint with infinity engine games, personally I'm not a fan of them either. But there is much more to the american RPG scene than ones by bioware.

optical on
    optical.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    optical wrote: »

Thats a valid complaint with infinity engine games, personally I'm not a fan of them either. But there is much more to the american RPG scene than ones by bioware.

Nothing that I saw interested me. Thats why I didn't pick an XBOX. The only reason I am picking a 360 is to get the JRPGs/SRPGs that are coming out otherwise, I wouldn't touch it.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I don't get why Guardian Legend considered this racist:
    Children wrote: »
    Rape is pretty big over there. Also rice.

Perhaps his tiny eyes caused him to misenterpret the text.

hey, hey, Its okay, I'm korean.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm... a brief look at my collection reveals that apparently I like French games.

I'm pretty certain a lot of the perceived differences between American and Japanese games arise because we focus on the most different parts, or the weirdest ones. I mean, no one goes out of their way to import a standard beat-em-up. I'm sure it would be "oh wacky Americans" if all Japan imported was Big Mutha Truckas.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Echo wrote: »

This post must be written in Engrish, because I see words, but they make no sense.

Welcome to the world of Katchem_Ash.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You... what?

Alright, I get it. You turn off as soon as something doesn't have girls with giant tits and purple hair, effeminate male leads, and, arguably, a character driven story. Nevermind that the characters in JRPGs tend to be 2d and excessively sappy, but whatever.

I will give you that visual styles differ greatly in Western games and Japanese games. They're very different, and that can be chalked up to taste. I know what your problem is, though. You've done that thing where you associate everything Western with anything bad in America, but fantasize and romanticize everything involving Asian people. Just by the virtue of being one or the other, something has already received your judgment. Western means bad to you, and Asian means good to you, regardless of what's real about the product.

Yeah, America is big fat oppressive white materialistic uncivilized boors, and Japan is happy-go-lucky bright and shiny freedom for all your personal desires. Ignore the fact that there are vending machines that dispense used and stolen women's underwear in Tokyo and that their game market is positively flooded with mediocre to shitty clone RPGs just like ours is flooded with Madden and FPSs. Whatever.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

I don't like that world. We can blow it up, right?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    .......Ignore the fact that there are vending machines that dispense used and stolen women's underwear in Tokyo.......

I think the rest of your post could stand a look at the fun racism which has typified the thread until now, but I just wanted to mention that I've never seen one of these in all the years I've lived in Japan.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Has anybody got a working translation of Ketchem_Ash's post yet?
    poshniallo wrote: »
    .......Ignore the fact that there are vending machines that dispense used and stolen women's underwear in Tokyo.......

I think the rest of your post could stand a look at the fun racism which has typified the thread until now, but I just wanted to mention that I've never seen one of these in all the years I've lived in Japan.
    It's essentially an urban myth. I think there was an English guy who mentioned thinking about doing it, and then it just picked up and run with.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I've been following the thread a bit, I know. Any of the over racism in my post was a poke at Ash's insane mischaracterization of the D20 RPG games.

As to the vending machine, I was directed to it in one of those capsule store things while bar-hopping with my dad while he was stationed there a few years ago. Some of his Japanese friends figured we'd get a kick out of it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I thought I had material for a great post about the differences, but when I started writing I realized that I'd describe them as "Western: lots of combat between story elements, Japanese: lots of combat between story elements".

So instead I'll write something about how western-style RPGs typically have customizable characters (or an entire party) while Japanese RPGs have pre-constructed characters with very little customization, apart from some games where the same character can choose between different archetypes (mage, warrior, chocobo humper etc).

Eh. I got nothin'.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd say that you're actually playing a role in the better Western RPGs, since you get to create and, more often than JRPGs at least, define your character by their actions. It's limited in some, but the beautiful thing about BG2 was that your options were much more open without having to be all sandboxy like the ES games.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I didn't mean you were being racist, I just meant K_A's one-sidedness pales in comparison to the crap earlier in the thread.

Interesting about the machine. I heard there are some in Kabukicho (the red light district of Tokyo), so I wonder what the place you were drinking in was like. I'm 100% sure they're very rare, in contradiction of the urban myths about them.

Once a month I look after new arrivals in Japan and there's always someone who's a self-appointed Japan expert. I have to really restrain myself from ripping them to bits (verbally) for all the urban myths they spout. I've noticed hikikomori has started to become an English word (among US J-geeks), meaning massive amounts of bullshit on the subject.

One more salient pointy thing - The d20 system is all very well, but it's a lot more suited to Pnp than CRPG.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    effeminate male leads

This is the only difference I've ever noticed. The Japanese won't play big, over muscled guys with an overabundance of testosterone because they think they're homosexual and the Americans won't play anything BUT because someone may think THEY'RE homosexual.

The Americans just seem stupider about it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh, I didn't mean you were being racist, I just meant K_A's one-sidedness pales in comparison to the crap earlier in the thread.

Interesting about the machine. I heard there are some in Kabukicho (the red light district of Tokyo), so I wonder what the place you were drinking in was like. I'm 100% sure they're very rare, in contradiction of the urban myths about them.

Once a month I look after new arrivals in Japan and there's always someone who's a self-appointed Japan expert. I have to really restrain myself from ripping them to bits (verbally) for all the urban myths they spout. I've noticed hikikomori has started to become an English word (among US J-geeks), meaning massive amounts of bullshit on the subject.

One more salient pointy thing - The d20 system is all very well, but it's a lot more suited to Pnp than CRPG.

Yeah, i wouldn't doubt that they're rare. The point still stands that he's incredibly myopic about anything bad involving Japanese people or culture. I'm far from a... J-geek - that word alone makes me feel all dirty and greasy - but I'm thorougly convinced that most of it, as Americans are concerned, stems from an unrealistic romanticising of Japan while simultaneously being extremely jaded with anything Western. Ash seems to be like that.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, i wouldn't doubt that they're rare. The point still stands that he's incredibly myopic about anything bad involving Japanese people or culture. I'm far from a... J-geek - that word alone makes me feel all dirty and greasy - but I'm thorougly convinced that most of it, as Americans are concerned, stems from an unrealistic romanticising of Japan while simultaneously being extremely jaded with anything Western. Ash seems to be like that.

No, Ash is just being ridiculous. When choices get to be too much for some people they start inventing reasons why the choice they make is not only superior, but monumentally superior. Ash can't even verbalize his choice suffiently much less back it up.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

This has to be a troll post. I have known "ADD, sugar inhaling, oh god I lost my ritalin" types who got into Baldurs Gate. Or at least every I've ever known to play it at least liked it for a little while. I mean its a great game! Next you'll tell me that Morrowind (on PC) sucks or something.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nope, I just don't care for Western Games no matter how you look at it. give me my JRPG/SRPGs and I shal be happy forever.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow. I just read some of the articles linked to, and they contain some of the oddest/dumbest assumptions I've ever seen.

Forget the way that games, like other entertainment and art, have their own tropes and forms. Japanese people don't accept fixed cameras because that's how past games have been, and that's what they're used to. No, no, it's because they don't love freedom.

As to 'better writing', well it's cultural innit? Both types have cliches running through them. People just don't notice the ones from their own culture so much.

There's one thing that I have noticed - rock scissors paper is such a huge part of Japanese culture that I see the pattern repeated in loads of Japanese games.

Agreed, I thought the entire article was extremely interesting and brought up some very valid differences, but the reasoning behind the differences was often strange.

There's always a hang-up in discussions like these on 'writing'. For me it's just part and parcel of the entire game. Of course BG2's story was easy to 'figure' out (if you've played the first game, you already know what you are and what your eventual task will be anyway). That's not the point; it may be cliché, but for me it's about the story. I've always liked the environments and atmosphere that Bioware have created with their games - found it very immersive. Their dialogue isn't so hot and their stories are predictable but I personally still prefer them to the Japanese RPGs I've attempted to play, which I've never found myself drawn into, all for a variety of gameplay reasons. On the other hand I can't get enough of the Phoenix Wright games and only wish Western countries hadn't been so quick to abandon the adventure genre. I enjoy and embrace the clichés found in stories in both Japanese and Western games. I'd say 'American' games only all of the roleplay and adventure games I can recall playing have been either Canadian or British.
    Echo wrote:
    I thought I had material for a great post about the differences, but when I started writing I realized that I'd describe them as "Western: lots of combat between story elements, Japanese: lots of combat between story elements".

:lol:

I was trying to quantify the differences between different countries' RPGs and have been finding it equally hard.

All I can come up with are things like 'well, random encounters feel less random in Western games' or 'Japanese stories/cut-scenes feel more static'. I just find it easier to immerse myself in Western-style RPGs; it's probably the combination of many small differences.

Janson on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nope, I just don't care for Western Games no matter how you look at it. give me my JRPG/SRPGs and I shal be happy forever.

You made Planescape:Torment cry. This does not sit well with me.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Did Katchem_ash finally show up?

Thread over! It's done, guys, we can go.

Put the chairs up on the tables, turn off the lights, and lock the doors when you leave.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Eh, I didn't like the other two, so I don't think I want to throw away money at another one of those games.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Jblade35Jblade35 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's down to the lack of anime style characters/graphics really though isn't it? There can't be any other reason for it since the Western world has produced just as many stellar games as the East.

Jblade35 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jblade35 wrote: »
    It's down to the lack of anime style characters/graphics really though isn't it? There can't be any other reason for it since the Western world has produced just as many stellar games as the East.

Nope, I just don't like the stories. Art work aside, I don't really get a pull from Western Games. For example, I though God of War's story was stupidly done, could have done much, much better. It came out to me like one guy crying because he couldn't understand it was his fault.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Eh, I didn't like the other two, so I don't think I want to throw away money at another one of those games.

D:

Other two? You mean Baldur's Gate? or maybe Fallout?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It most definitely is, but he's too stubborn/stupid/proud to admit it.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    If I would have said I liked the art style only, I would have, but thats only one spectrum. I like the Story, the Controls and the grinding. Its all what makes a good JRPG/SRPG.

Also I meant Baldurs Gate 2 + Expansion/Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2 + Expansions.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

see, i can kind of understand his point, because i'm somewhat the opposite. It's not necessarily a rule for me, but i find in general, i can't make myself interested in most japanese games. There are exceptions, the likes of Dead Rising or RE4 are great, but i still don't like the story or its delivery as much as other games. Then you get onto JRPGs or whatever, and my eyes just glaze right over. I even gave the Eternal Sonata demo a shot the other day, and it certainly looked fantastic, and i could play it, but something about it just didn't grip me. I just always get the feeling with japanese games, that the story elements feel a lot more forced and contrived, like certain plot and story elements feel more shoehorned to make the game fit. I'm not saying every Japanese game is like that, or that i even expect anyone to agree. Like with Eternal Sonata, the whole "Chopin's dying in bed, and recedes into a fantasy world inside his mind" plot. It sounds like a means to get some of the guy's music in there, and have him battle pumpkin monsters and giant onions.
    Just so many times it feels like someone on the story department sticks a hand in bag A, and a hand in bag B, and puts the two elements together. "What if.. dogs... had psychic powers!"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

It most definitely is, but he's too stubborn/stupid/proud to admit it.

I fall on the JRPG preference side too but I like JRPGs production values. Even the menus are classy and animate well. As for story quality, they're both good but I have to say I'm starting to prefer Western over Eastern. How many amenisiac antiheroes protecting a dim witted blonde girl with a special amulet/ring/bracelet whose parents are dead can I take?

Magic Pink on