Options

How do Japanese and American tastes differ?

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    I'd like to think the SMT series isn't for kids.
    The giant green chariot-riding penis would like to agree with you.

i was thinking that and maybe shadow hearts as the possible exceptions.

otherwise, i really cant think of any.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Namrok wrote:
    It makes me worry about what the average Japanese gamers life is like when the tedium of their games seems pleasurable in contrast to the tedium of their very lives.

Oh, please.
    Namrok wrote:
    That said, Nintendo typically does a good job of making games that aren't overly long or tedious and that have solid controls. It's just sad that you can't let your friends see you playing Wind Waker or Pikmin, and I'm still referring to my Wii as "The New Nintendo" in the presence of non-gaming company.

I'm stunned by your insecurity, but OK.
    Namrok wrote:
    We [Americans] can differentiate the good and the bad because we just have a stronger cultural connection to games that are made here. We can tell the AAA titles from the wannabe AAA titles from the B titles.

Wow.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow at a lot of the generalizations in this thread.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, why do a lot of women in Japanese games have HUGE boobs?

Magus` on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    jb7 wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    I think that in America it would seem that characters persevere through force of will, but in Japan characters become more powerful through force of will and thus persevere.

That's my take.

You are going to explain this since the only difference I see is the Japanese characters getting more powerful...

Yes it seems like a subtle difference, but when you think about it it becomes quite a divergence:

The American characters emphasize being the "everyman". That character is a normal person pushed to do extraordinary things but they remain fundamentally the same person. They don't change anything about themselves other than mentality. The basic idea is that every person can accomplish anything they set their minds to without being particularly special.

In Japanese culture on the otherhand the character start out as special, but not knowing it. They are told they are not and eventually push themselves due to circumstance (and to show others the truth of their specialness) to unlock their latent power. They fundamentally change their abilities (not their mentality) which is what causes them to overcome all obstacles.

You see, so the "power" difference leads to a big overall difference in character development.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Namrok wrote:
    It makes me worry about what the average Japanese gamers life is like when the tedium of their games seems pleasurable in contrast to the tedium of their very lives.

Oh, please.
    Namrok wrote:
    That said, Nintendo typically does a good job of making games that aren't overly long or tedious and that have solid controls. It's just sad that you can't let your friends see you playing Wind Waker or Pikmin, and I'm still referring to my Wii as "The New Nintendo" in the presence of non-gaming company.

I'm stunned by your insecurity, but OK.
    Namrok wrote:
    We [Americans] can differentiate the good and the bad because we just have a stronger cultural connection to games that are made here. We can tell the AAA titles from the wannabe AAA titles from the B titles.

Wow.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow at a lot of the generalizations in this thread.

Wow, it's easier for Americans to tell which American titles are good, that is shocking

What a terrible cruel generalization

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why do a lot of women in all forms of media in all countries have HUGE boobs?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007

This is a society that idolizes a man named Hard Gay who terrorizes children. I don't think the presence or the absence of a penis is particularly indicative of anything.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

This is a society that idolizes a man named Hard Gay who terrorizes children. I don't think the presence or the absence of a penis is particularly indicative of anything.

i think the use of the word "idolize" is misleading here. hard gay is a television comedian. and he isnt even popular.

it's like saying americans idolize that racist kramer.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Why do a lot of women in all forms of media in all countries have HUGE boobs?

Huge as in size E. Or X in Japanese cup sizes.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    fuck you guys

hard gay is AWESOME

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    fuck you guys

hard gay is AWESOME

he's not even gay. he's married to a woman.

and he hasnt been on tv for like a year or something.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Funny you should say that, because I've noticed a lot of Japanese games being very heavy on the subtext, to the point where american translations either don't cut it or probably go too far to make it obvious. The argument we had in the Persona 3 thread about the meaning of the ending comes to mind. Vast room for interpretation there.
    I guess it might be the fault of the translators, but I dunno. On almost every game I've worked on, there has been absolutely no remarkable subtext, or setup/payoff relationship, or anything professional storytelling should have. The same was true for the first part of Odin Sphere (never finished it) and Persona 3 has waaay too many 'let me tell you exactly how I feel' moments, though I haven't reached the ending just yet.

In the case of Odin Sphere, it was pretty much a simple fairy tale storyline and that's why I love it. I don't think there's much need to subtly present anything because of its intended type of storyline.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't know how you could finish Odin Sphere. I got to Chapter 5 and just went 'Fuck it'. Boring as all hell.

Magus` on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joule wrote: »
    Funny you should say that, because I've noticed a lot of Japanese games being very heavy on the subtext, to the point where american translations either don't cut it or probably go too far to make it obvious. The argument we had in the Persona 3 thread about the meaning of the ending comes to mind. Vast room for interpretation there.
    I guess it might be the fault of the translators, but I dunno. On almost every game I've worked on, there has been absolutely no remarkable subtext, or setup/payoff relationship, or anything professional storytelling should have. The same was true for the first part of Odin Sphere (never finished it) and Persona 3 has waaay too many 'let me tell you exactly how I feel' moments, though I haven't reached the ending just yet.

In the case of Odin Sphere, it was pretty much a simple fairy tale storyline and that's why I love it. I don't think there's much need to subtly present anything because of its intended type of storyline.

What would you say about a game like Psychonauts or Grim Fandango?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I dunno, I assumed the inverse, too: it's easier for the Japanese to tell which Japanese titles are quality as opposed to me trying to figure out which Japanese titles are quality ( I would have no idea. )

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno, I assumed the inverse, too: it's easier for the Japanese to tell which Japanese titles are quality as opposed to me trying to figure out which Japanese titles are quality ( I would have no idea. )

So...so you're saying you don't know what's a better game between Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry?

Or Zelda and Dark Cloud?

Or Panzer Dragoon Orta and Rez?

on and on and on.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I know I don't.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I prefer Rez.

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Wyborn wrote: »

So...so you're saying you don't know what's a better game between Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry?

Or Zelda and Dark Cloud?

on and on and on.

I couldn't tell you at all, because the only game(s) on that list I've played are Zelda titles.

None of the others interest me at all with the exception of Rez, but I don't have a console that I could play it on.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I shed a tear for all the Japanese gamers that will never play Half-Life 2, Company of Heroes, Deus Ex, and Quake Wars. If you compiled a list of great Western games never released in Japan and another list of great Japan-only games, I'd bet the former outnumbers the latter ten to one.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Or Zelda and Dark Cloud?

on and on and on.

I couldn't tell you at all, because the only game(s) on that list I've played are Zelda titles.

None of the others interest me at all with the exception of Rez, but I don't have a console that I could play it on.

I recommend the Xbox 360.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I shed a tear for all the Japanese gamers that will never play Half-Life 2, Company of Heroes, Deus Ex, and Quake Wars. If you compiled a list of great Western games never released in Japan and another list of great Japan-only games, I'd bet the former outnumbers the latter ten to one.

Well, the Japanese did get BG II, so its all good.

1150795359583.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Or Zelda and Dark Cloud?

on and on and on.

I recommend the Xbox 360.

I don't have four hundred dollars just laying around.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

1150795359583.jpg

Why does this make me laugh.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007

[IMG]http ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/DisruptorX/1150795359583.jpg[/IMG]

The Japanese got all of the above.

Well, I'm not certain about Quake Wars, but I know they got the other three. How's that outnumbering coming?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Why do you imagine they weren't released in Japan?

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

[IMG]http ://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/DisruptorX/1150795359583.jpg[/IMG]

The Japanese got all of the above.

Well, I'm not certain about Quake Wars, but I know they got the other three. How's that outnumbering coming?

According to Gamefaqs and Mobygames, Deus Ex wasn't released in Japan. Same with Company of Heroes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Joule wrote: »

What would you say about a game like Psychonauts or Grim Fandango?

I sadly haven't yet played those games. Travesty I know. However my post prior was mostly for just the context of Odin Sphere, the way it was done just felt right to me.

One thing however I think is more important than subtext would be pretext. In the case of let's say Shadow Hearts, relationships between characters are moving so seemingly fast without really much happening at all. When this happens, everything just feels awkward and forced.

Joule on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For presentation of story, and generally having more cohesive, compelling plots, what about the Lucasarts adventures? Full Throttle? Day of the Tentacle? The Dig? Sam and Max?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Davoid wrote: »
    For presentation of story, and generally having more cohesive, compelling plots, what about the Lucasarts adventures? Full Throttle? Day of the Tentacle? The Dig? Sam and Max?

They've been dead for ten years, man. Their zombified corpse might wheel out a new product every now and then, but it's not fooling anybody.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ninjacrat wrote: »

They've been dead for ten years, man. Their zombified corpse might wheel out a new product every now and then, but it's not fooling anybody.

I think they're still pretty good examples of fully western games.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Except that there are a lot of Japanese adventure games. There is no fully western or fully Japanese genre unless you get extremely specific.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Except that there are a lot of Japanese adventure games. There is no fully western or fully Japanese genre unless you get extremely specific.

Wasn't the Neverhood surprisingly popular over the pond?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Wasn't the Neverhood surprisingly popular over the pond?

It was popular enough in Japan to get a shitty spinoff and a Japanese only Playstation version of the game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The games you named are great, but they're ooooold. Did you know (I had to look it up) Sam and Max came out in 1993? The hight point of adveture game design... is older than some posters in this thread. God.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All I can really say to this conversation, is style, genre, whatever; none of it matters. Japan brought us Zelda, therefore Japan wins.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    EWom wrote: »
    All I can really say to this conversation, is style, genre, whatever; none of it matters. Japan brought us Zelda, therefore Japan wins.

A series that also hit its high point in 1992....

Old game is old.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

The games you named are great, but they're ooooold. Did you know (I had to look it up) Sam and Max came out in 1993? The hight point of adveture game design... is older than some posters in this thread. God.

You could say the same thing about RPGs. A lot of people will point out a bunch of old SNES games as examples of great RPG games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You could say the same thing about RPGs. A lot of people will point out a bunch of old SNES games as examples of great RPG games.

Chrono Trigger and FF6 are good games, but generally you'll get newer games, like Torment, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc.

Of course, RPGs are quickly becoming a dead genre, too, thanks to the horrors of MMOs.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The reports of the death of any genre are greatly exaggerated. Except for FMV games. Those will stay dead.

Couscous on