Options

How do Japanese and American tastes differ?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Japanese Emperor/Empress should be pure Japanese.
    Other than tradition, why?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Cause they are ruling Japan? The Exact reason my America should have an American President. Or for that matter any country in the world.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't see how thats bad. The Emperor/Empresses of Japan must be a pure blood Japanese not some foreigner. I would totally be for that if I was Japanese.

That's a reasonable statement. If the Emperess is a breeding filly.

She's not a horse. She's a human. If you want her to not breed with a foreigner, maybe telling her not to get pregnant with a foreigner is a good plan. But perhaps the Japanese Diet, made up of some of the most influential men in the country, is too uncomfortable talking to a young woman about her reproductive health. Believe it or not, human females can control their urges to breed with handsome foreigners.

Sorry, the politicians are full of shit on that one for treating a prospective symbolic leader of their country as sub-human.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So how American would he have to be to be acceptable to you? Like, native American? 1st generation immigrant? 2nd generation?

And how Japanese is Japanese enough. Say one of you favourite games was made by a guy who was 1/2 European or 1/2 Malaysian, would it still be a good game? Seeing as the only good games evar are made by Japanese people.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Unicron wrote: »
    So how American would he have to be to be acceptable to you? Like, native American? 1st generation immigrant? 2nd generation?

And how Japanese is Japanese enough. Say one of you favourite games was made by a guy who was 1/2 European or 1/2 Malaysian, would it still be a good game? Seeing as the only good games evar are made by Japanese people.

I'm not American so take it up with them on how American they have to be.

And I said, I have played non Japanese games before and never liked them. Its my preferance to play said games until the Western Game Developers can match the Japanese. Until then, I shall stick to my Japanese games.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I don't see how thats bad. The Emperor/Empresses of Japan must be a pure blood Japanese not some foreigner. I would totally be for that if I was Japanese.

You don't see how it's bad to use the argument only against a female heir?

A male heir to the throne is just as capable of falling in love with a foreign female, is he not?

What about a female heir being female would cause her to be more likely to fall in love with a foreigner?

Well, I wasn't commenting on the comment that guy made, just on the basis of it.

Then why single that line out and comment on it when it's in a post about gender differences and in context was used as an argument against having an Empress?

Janson on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Hm. I don't actually have much of a problem with a non-American president. What do people expect him or her to do? Pull off the mask and cackle "hahahaha now you belong to the CHINEEEESE"?

I mean. Presumably they live and work in the country, and they've convinced the majority of the populace that they are a reasonable choice. Not much of a difference if they've got an accent.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2007
    katchem_ash are you saying that like the best written western games are, as far as you're concerned, objectively worse written than the absolute pits of japanese writing?

or just that overall since you prefer japanese games, you're not going to bother with western games

bongi on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Cause they are ruling Japan? The Exact reason my America should have an American President. Or for that matter any country in the world.

But they're not, anymore than the British Royal Family has any control over the UK.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

And I said, I have played non Japanese games before and never liked them. Its my preferance to play said games until the Western Game Developers can match the Japanese. Until then, I shall stick to my Japanese games.

OK, what I said though was: What if one of your favourite games was made/produced/heavily influenced by something/someone who was not Japanese/100% Japanese. Would this affect your opinion of the game, after the fact.

Or to put it another way, if someone had convinced you at the time that BG2 was in fact from the Land of the Rising Sun, would you have been more open-minded towards it?

Edit:

Hm. I don't actually have much of a problem with a non-American president. What do people expect him or her to do? Pull off the mask and cackle "hahahaha now you belong to the CHINEEEESE"?

I mean. Presumably they live and work in the country, and they've convinced the majority of the populace that they are a reasonable choice. Not much of a difference if they've got an accent.

That would be the best inauguration ever :D

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

But any race can be "American". It shouldn't fucking matter what race someone is; if they've lived in Japan or the US all their life and love the country it's not going to affect their ability at being an Emperor or President. It's disgusting racism and you're fully supporting it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

They aren't ruling Japan. The ethnicity of the figurehead makes about as much difference as the color of the parliament building.

Also, we don't just allow people who are "pure" Americans to rule. You just need to have been a citizen at birth. You could have been born to two Mexican parents while they were visiting their relatives in the USA and still be able to run for president. Ethnicity doesn't factor into it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually, come to think of it, the fact that it's a figurehead position anyway makes the whole debate meaningless.

I mean, if it was an actual position of power that they were trying to limit, we'd have issues, but a powerless royal family that's only there because we decided to let them keep having an emperor rather than nuke them a third time? Whatever.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    katchem_ash are you saying that like the best written western games are, as far as you're concerned, objectively worse written than the absolute pits of japanese writing?

or just that overall since you prefer japanese games, you're not going to bother with western games

Once agian the ones I played I didn't like and when the Western Developers develop games which I do like then yes, However currently I consider it not worth my time to pay for and play some game I don't like.

@ Unicorn: No, because the game is the worst. I never liked it and never will whether its from Japan or somewhere else. Same reason why I didn't play God Hand or Metal Gear Solid.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2007

Once agian the ones I played I didn't like and when the Western Developers develop games which I do like then yes, However currently I consider it not worth my time to pay for and play some game I don't like.

you didn't answer my question but it's okay

bongi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

@ Unicorn: No, because the game is the worst. I never liked it and never will whether its from Japan or somewhere else. Same reason why I didn't play God Hand or Metal Gear Solid.

Ok fair enough, although your comments earlier in the thread about how you don't like that you're a super-rambo type of guy led me to believe that you've never really looked at BG2 with an open mind (as your view of it is pretty much the polar opposite of my view of the game, where it really is all about your team members and your cooperation with them.)

I still think you're gimping your enjoyment with your blind dismissal of anything outside of Japan, there's a whole wonderful world out there, of course there's crap but I'm sure you'll realize, the spread of crap is pretty much independent of the country of origin.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me though.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Actually, come to think of it, the fact that it's a figurehead position anyway makes the whole debate meaningless.

I mean, if it was an actual position of power that they were trying to limit, we'd have issues, but a powerless royal family that's only there because we decided to let them keep having an emperor rather than nuke them a third time? Whatever.

This really isn't about the Imperial position, it's about the prevailing attitudes about women in Japan and the United States. Sexism exists both places, but it's not politically correct in the U.S., while it's institutionalized in Japan.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Psychonauts, Day of the Tentacle and Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle: some of those are widely considered the best examples of writing in the gaming industry, especially Grim Fandango and Psychonauts. They're quite Western, but they're practically responsible for the genre being popular in Japan. How do you feel about those?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

But they're not, anymore than the British Royal Family has any control over the UK.

Yes, but didn't the current queen come only to power by Geroge abdicating the throne in order to marry a divorced American Woman?

@titmouse: Yes, but you still require them to be American no? And What are the current candidates? Any recent immigrants? Or are they First/Second/etc born americans? Who would the American public vote for?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yes, but didn't the current queen come only to power by Geroge abdicating the throne in order to marry a divorced American Woman?

@titmouse: Yes, but you still require them to be American no? And What are the current candidates? Any recent immigrants? Or are they First/Second/etc born americans? Who would the American public vote for?
    Barack Obama, a front-runner for the Democrat nomination, is the son of edit: an immigrant and a born citizen.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Bit of Apples and Oranges there.

1) The events you're talking about happened in 1936.

2) The British Monarch is also the head of the Church of England, thus being not only a national figurehead but also a religious one

3) Charles married Camilla and is next in line. They're both divorced.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Being an American citizen is different from being a "pure" Japanese like the members of the Diet meant. I doubt they would like it if the princess screwed a black man whether or not he was Japanese.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Psychonauts, Day of the Tentacle and Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle: some of those are widely considered the best examples of writing in the gaming industry, especially Grim Fandango and Psychonauts. They're quite Western, but they're practically responsible for the genre being popular in Japan. How do you feel about those?

Never played them. Probably never will as they fall out of the Scope which I play. I assume these are platformers? The only platformers I played are the Zelda series and Duel Hearts.

The types of games I play:

JRPGs: Main Area of Play

SRPGs: Second Main Area of play

Fighters: Like Street Fighter, Tekken, Art of Fighting etc.

Platformers: Like Zelda, Duel Hearts etc

Sports: Like Winning Eleven and Rumble Roses, nothing else.

SHUMPS: A Few, Castle Shikigami 2 and a few others.

Action: like Prince of Persia (I liked the whole Series), ICO, DMC and a few others. Hated GoW.

These are most of my playing areas with a dabble here and there.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Aside from Obama, there is a sizable portion of the American public that would vote for Governer Schwartzenegger for President if it were legal, and he's Austrian by birth.

Regardless, you haven't responded to my issue with treating a human female like prize breeding stock, and I think that the issue really can't proceed until it's sorted out:

That's a reasonable statement. If the Emperess is a breeding filly.

She's not a horse. She's a human. If you want her to not breed with a foreigner, maybe telling her not to get pregnant with a foreigner is a good plan. But perhaps the Japanese Diet, made up of some of the most influential men in the country, is too uncomfortable talking to a young woman about her reproductive health. Believe it or not, human females can control their urges to breed with handsome foreigners.

Sorry, the politicians are full of shit on that one for treating a prospective symbolic leader of their country as sub-human.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I've ever met anybody quite as myopic as you, ash.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    @Dracomicron:The reason why I commented on the "Have to be Japanese" because the Emperor/Empress represent Japan and until there is a sizable Foreign contingint in Japan to acuriatly define such a contingint, I think it is the right of the Diet, the People of Japan to choose and Demand that a full blood Japanese represent them.

To the Comment about women being breedign machines, not my concern because I neither am Japanese or a part of the Diet so I can't really do anything to condem them. I mean free speach and all. My views are quite agianst what the diet suggested.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You don't see how it's bad to use the argument only against a female heir?

A male heir to the throne is just as capable of falling in love with a foreign female, is he not?

What about a female heir being female would cause her to be more likely to fall in love with a foreigner?

Well, I wasn't commenting on the comment that guy made, just on the basis of it.

Regardless, I think that the idea is to stop any and all foriegn blood coming into the throne regardless of the gender. Which I fully support. The Japanese Emperor/Empress should be pure Japanese.

The Empress should be allowed to marry / have sex with whoever she damn well wants, to be honest. And the idea (as it was presented) that she should not be allowed to inherit because of her gender is beyond asinine.

Sophismata on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Japanese politics are frightening to say the least. Absolutely frightening.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Japanese politics are frightening to say the least. Absolutely frightening.

The entire Japanese socio-political scene in general is a total disaster. Corruption, nepotism... you name it... there's a healthy degree of it.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Having certain restrictions in place is fair enough. In the UK, King Edward VIII chose to abdicate so he could marry a divorcée without causing uproar. However, the argument presented against having an Empress was bull.

Janson on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    Erios wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Guuuys. You just gotta open your minds, and let brotherhood and happiness fill you maaan. We're aaaallll Japanamericans. In our hearts.
    BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! *waves axe*

MORE SKULLS FOR THE THRONE!
    What kind of throne?

But the point I was making is that Tau are heavily influenced by anime.

Giant brass throne, dripping with blood. Naturally with lots of skulls, khorney, I know.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    @Dracomicron:The reason why I commented on the "Have to be Japanese" because the Emperor/Empress represent Japan and until there is a sizable Foreign contingint in Japan to acuriatly define such a contingint, I think it is the right of the Diet, the People of Japan to choose and Demand that a full blood Japanese represent them.

To the Comment about women being breedign machines, not my concern because I neither am Japanese or a part of the Diet so I can't really do anything to condem them. I mean free speach and all. My views are quite agianst what the diet suggested.

You're completely dodging the issue. The question is not whether or not a non-Japanese person could hold the Imperial title, it's whether they should make the Imperial title open only to men because women can't control themselves from breeding with tall, virile, and powerful foriegn men.

By agreeing with the sentiment, you're implying that:

A) Women have no control over their sexuality/mating instinct.
    B) It's perfectly appropriate and acceptable behavior for an Emperor to bang foreign girls all day and all night because there's no chance that he will get pregnant with a child of "impure" blood.
    C) Birth control doesn't exist and isn't readily available for women who are the symbolic traditional leaders of their countries.

All of that is complete bullshit and is indefensible.
    Sophismata wrote: »
    The Empress should be allowed to marry / have sex with whoever she damn well wants, to be honest. And the idea (as it was presented) that she should not be allowed to inherit because of her gender is beyond asinine.

I think a lot of this must stem from some sort of insecurity on the part of Japanese men in regards to men of other countries. I know that, in a lot of hentai, it's large, American soldier-looking men portrayed as the guys who bring the Japanese women to orgasm despite the fact that they're brutally raping them... so there's got to be some sort of fetish, like there is in the United States about black guys.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Having certain restrictions in place is fair enough. In the UK, King Edward VIII chose to abdicate so he could marry a divorcée without causing uproar. However, the argument presented against having an Empress was bull.

Didn't Japan have an Empress or two before? I don't quite understand why they would block it, but do agree with the Diet that she represents the Japanese people and needs to act in their best views. Of course, I don't think she could step down and stop being princess if she fell in love with a non-Japanese person so I guess that never will happen.

Anyway, isn't this pointless since she's like 5 or something?

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Exact reason my America should have an American President.

:?:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Didn't Japan have an Empress or two before? I don't quite understand why they would block it, but do agree with the Diet that she represents the Japanese people and needs to act in their best views. Of course, I don't think she could step down and stop being princess if she fell in love with a non-Japanese person so I guess that never will happen.

Anyway, isn't this pointless since she's like 5 or something?

You know kids grow up right? And I just remembered, the whole British royal family are a load of Krauts anyway.

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    The Exact reason my America should have an American President.

:?:

It was supposed to be why. I can't edit my posts while I am in Jail.

@Dracomicron: I neither agree with A, B or C. I don't hold them anywhere in my views nor have I said. I only stated that the Japanese Emperor/Empress has to be full Japanese to represent Japan. I am a Monarchist so I dislike anything, anywhere that tries to bring down Emperors/Empresses

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You all do realize that many, many people have tried to get K_A to become a well-rounded human being and actually consider games/shows/products/life that somehow didn't originate in Japan, and all have failed, right?

It's like arguing with a brick wall. A brick wall covered in misspelled Japanese characters.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You all do realize that many, many people have tried to get K_A to become a well-rounded human being and actually consider games/shows/products/life that somehow didn't originate in Japan, and all have failed, right?

It's like arguing with a brick wall. A brick wall covered in misspelled Japanese characters.

I like the part where he ignores peoples points and just makes his own over and over again. Gives me a fuzzy feeling inside.
    Might be an ulcer

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Somebody mail ash a copy of Grim Fandango so he can see what good melodrama is like instead of that shitty, whiny, burdensome Japanese crap.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Somebody mail ash a copy of Grim Fandango so he can see what good melodrama is like instead of that shitty, whiny, burdensome Japanese crap.

Uhh, please don't. Most likely it will end up on Ebay or sold.

Katchem_ash on