As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do Japanese and American tastes differ?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Also, the Japanese taste like chicken while Americans are more of a beef flavour.
    The Japanese taste like fish, the Americans taste like ham.

Ham-beast.

Americans are fat.

I know you did it already I had the idea better though. They are on an Island so like fish, that's how it works not chicken you god-damned fool.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    suttbecks wrote: »
    I think Japanese culture is superior to anything Western Civilization has ever done.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Japan would invade the U.S, if it meant I could get my hands on anime easier...

Juuuuuuuuuust in case you aren't kidding, I might point you to a copy of Paradise Lost.

And seriously, as far as graphic novels go, America doesn't do so bad, but we don't have as much volume to bring to the table, so of course the Law of Averages is against a large quantity of good American graphic fiction being produced.

As far as vidyagames goes, people look back on games like Chrono Trigger as paragons of storytelling and yadda yadda yadda. But even an RPG behemoth like CT can't even touch a hair on a real work of literature's metaphorical head. You just can't compare
    frog refusing to fight magus with Achilleus opting out of the siege of Ilion in terms of depth and complexity and that story is 3000 years old!

Perhaps CT is a bad example though, as I carry the firm belief the team responsible could have produced a work of well, actual literature combined with an amazing gameplay system had they not been limited to 4 megabites on 16 bit hardware, or however large those carts were.

EDIT: Plus, MARATHON.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I guess it's easy to have awesome stories when your games are stories first and games second?

That's pretty much it.

A collection of storyboards is not a fucking videogame.
    One thing I've always found interesting is that many people complain about JRPGs is their linear nature, when it's more of an emphasis on telling a specific story, rather than immersion. Is there something wrong with telling a story in that manner?

Well the linearity in JRPGS extends beyond the plot to the gameplay. This is the main complaint. Most Western RPGS also have an incredibly linear story, even ones that promote 'choice' still end up exactly the same more or less, such as kotors or fables.
    I think that a lot of that has been the limit of the technology (random battles etc[yes, I know Chrono Trigger lol]) and it seems as if the genre is finally moving away from that.

Edit. It's Achilles. And Illian.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think Japanese culture is superior to anything Western Civilization has ever done.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Japan would invade the U.S, if it meant I could get my hands on anime easier...

The fact that I can't be certain about the fact that you're joking is one of the most tragic things ever.

It's true, all forms of Japanese media are superior. Their animated films are certainly the most important think to happen, culturally this century.

Fucking bakas.....

. . .

What? I'd like you to show me something that matches their skillful combination of art and eroticism.

Something like X-Change is as good as, if not better than any shitty Bergman film that Western culture shits out...
    If you are not some sort of alt I will eat someone else's cock. Preferably yours. And not in a :winky: way, in a D: way.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

The fact that I can't be certain about the fact that you're joking is one of the most tragic things ever.

It's true, all forms of Japanese media are superior. Their animated films are certainly the most important think to happen, culturally this century.

Fucking bakas.....

. . .

What? I'd like you to show me something that matches their skillful combination of art and eroticism.

Something like X-Change is as good as, if not better than any shitty Bergman film that Western culture shits out...

My cock, my precious thing, its gone!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I can only imagine that this is some sort of attempt to communicate Bioshock or Torment as a literary masterpiece. If such is a case, then I highly suggest picking up Ever17 so you can see about where the baseline is for the popular stuff... and Ever17 wasn't even particularly noteworthy in Japan (popular, but not notably so) as far as v.novels go. It's only uphill from there.
    Based on your avatar and sig, I think it'll be easier for us to just assume you have terrible taste.

I'm sorry, did you actually have an educated response? Maybe something pointing out how the games I listed as vastly superior are somehow worse? Or are you just as you appear, an irritating little troll?
    titmouse wrote: »
    I guess it's easy to have awesome stories when your games are stories first and games second?

That's pretty much it.

Even the old adventure games at least had completely retarded puzzles that made no sense.

In which case we return to the hybrid argument where we note that there are more than enough examples of games attched to your "collection of storyboards."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Fucking bakas.....

. . .

The chances that Suttbecks is being at all serious here is like -12000000000000000000000000000000000

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I know Suttbecks personally he is way into Japan

He has a t-shirt that just has a picture of Japan on it

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

Fucking bakas.....

. . .

The chances that Suttbecks is being at all serious here is like -12000000000000000000000000000000000

I dunno. He is pretty retarded. He could be totally serious. I know a lot of people who are sharing his opinions every day. Opinions like that are common on the internet.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Edit. It's Achilles. And Illian.

Richmond Lattimore was the preeminent translator in the 20th century. I go by his translations, as (apparently) they are more accurate. Also, last I checked Robert Fitzgerald used the same spellings. Ergo, I am justified in my choice of spellings for Achilleus and Ilion. And Hektor lulz.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    I can only imagine that this is some sort of attempt to communicate Bioshock or Torment as a literary masterpiece. If such is a case, then I highly suggest picking up Ever17 so you can see about where the baseline is for the popular stuff... and Ever17 wasn't even particularly noteworthy in Japan (popular, but not notably so) as far as v.novels go. It's only uphill from there.
    Based on your avatar and sig, I think it'll be easier for us to just assume you have terrible taste.

I'm sorry, did you actually have an educated response? Maybe something pointing out how the games I listed as vastly superior are somehow worse? Or are you just as you appear, an irritating little troll?

That's pretty much it.

Even the old adventure games at least had completely retarded puzzles that made no sense.

In which case we return to the hybrid argument where we note that there are more than enough examples of games attched to your "collection of storyboards."

The problem, Aroduc, is that your premise is only correct if you are specifically talking about the "storyboard" games. Because these other games in shared genres - like RPGs, Strategy and War titles, and so on - do not have "vastly superior" writing to American- or European-made games.

And that premise would not be correct anyway because those Japanese storyboard games are not games.

Therefore your points are completely without merit or validity.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Most of those are RPGs or some other genre. There are tons of those in the West that have awesome writing.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007

Okay, then the OP is incorrect and the Japanese dating sims/visual novels aren't actually games and you all have been vehemently attacking them for no reason. What next, pedant?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have a question that kind of fits into the subject of this thread:
    Why isn't there a Mario Baseball game?
    Both America and Japan like baseball, so I'm not sure why they havent tried one yet.
    The only thing I can think of is that its not really popular really anywhere else than Japan and America.
    Thoughts?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They have made a Mario Picross game so the popularity of a game outside of Japan isn't a problem for Nintendo. I am going to assume that they just haven't gotten around to it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Okay, then the OP is incorrect and the Japanese dating sims/visual novels aren't actually games and you all have been vehemently attacking them for no reason. What next, pedant?

To be fair, those games have only been attacked because you put them up on a pedestal (....of cocks, am I doing that right?) above Western games.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

'ey yo, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much. That's why I made the thread. But it's gone a completely different and terrible direction since then.

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Both America and Japan like baseball, so I'm not sure why they havent tried one yet.
    The only thing I can think of is that its not really popular really anywhere else than Japan and America.
    Thoughts?

They did. It's called mario baseball on the GC.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

That's the last time I camwhore, I tell you what.

japan on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Nobody attacking them, you just came in here shouting your japanophile nonsense and people kind of disagreed.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Thoughts?

*scratches head*

a) Baseball is fairly popular in Japan, as far as I know.
    b) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Superstar_Baseball
    c) 250px-Mario_Superstar_Baseball.jpg

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    c-c-combo

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I don't know. Nobody else has lit the Pedantman signal yet. For now I'm just polishing my Pedantarangs and rereading the dictionary.

Drez on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    TexiKen wrote: »

To be fair, those games have only been attacked because you put them up on a pedestal (....of cocks, am I doing that right?) above Western games.

No, I put their writing up there. Where it belongs. I haven't seen a single person actually contest that so far with anything other than "zomg, you are so wrong, but I can't be bothered to offer an argument."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No, I put their writing up there. Where it belongs. I haven't seen a single person actually contest that so far.

You put their writing up there against Western games. I contested both that they are games and that even if we agreed - for arguments sake - that they are, that they do not succeed the writing quality in American- or European created titles.

Therefore, I take offense to your implication that I am not a person.

EDIT:
    with anything other than "zomg, you are so wrong, but I can't be bothered to offer an argument."

Well, what can we say, Aroduc? You started your post off with the equivalent of "olol and don't say Planescape: Torment or Bioshock! They aren't as good!"

At that point, there's no room to discuss anything with you. You obviously have some very weird (read: bad) opinions on what constitutes good and bad writing quality. Since Planescape: Torment is basically as literary as you can get in a video game and you decided to brush even that example aside with your initial posts, there's not much to discuss. You have your opinion, and we have a much better opinion.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

No, I put their writing up there. Where it belongs. I haven't seen a single person actually contest that so far with anything other than "zomg, you are so wrong, but I can't be bothered to offer an argument."

See: Pretty much every fucking adventure game.
    See also: The shitload of IF games being made and released on the Internet.

Couscous on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

why dont you describe the stories for us who don't understand japanese

tyrannus on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Because we're not all obsessive, and definitely aren't going to go learn Japanese to determine our stance on these games. :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

See: Pretty much every fucking adventure game.
    See also: The shitload of IF games being made and released on the Internet.

They can't be as good. They aren't from Japan. Idiot.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »

why dont you describe the stories for us who don't understand japanese

The fact that you don't know japanese is a testament to self centered fat lazy world-hating Americans. Sheesh, come on

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

"Tucker... what the fuck are you babbling about?"

Maybe I'm just an ignorant American, but you seem to be saying that these Japanese...game...things have far superior writing to anything America has produced?

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

You're half right.

Inspiration999.jpg

(That's me in the middle)

I got this shirt when I went to Japan with my girl friend, Noriko. Of course when we got back she left me for some baka. Probably some mouth-breathing frat boy who only plays games like Halo 2.

*~ReQuIeM fOr NoRiKo~*....

suttbecks on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The big difference though is that the writing for the V.Novels and hybrids tends to be abso-fucking-lutely amazing compared to almost anything the US has crapped out in the last decade.

w

w
    w

what

you didn't

gah

Torment was much, much better-written than Tsukihime.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Suttbecks...

shut the fuck up.

what was this thread about, again?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You're half right.

Inspiration999.jpg

(That's me in the middle)

I got this shirt when I went to Japan with my girl friend, Noriko. Of course when we got back she left me for some baka. Probably some mouth-breathing frat boy who only plays games like Halo 2.

*~ReQuIeM fOr NoRiKo~*....

I heard she was dating me now.

Drez on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2007
    Tell you what. Tsukihime, ONE, Planetarian, Wind, Gadget Trial, and Ever17 are all fully translated and easily purchased. Pick one. Play it. Then we'll have something to argue aside from you guys just assuming things suck because you can't be bothered to find out for yourself.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    The big difference though is that the writing for the V.Novels and hybrids tends to be abso-fucking-lutely amazing compared to almost anything the US has crapped out in the last decade.

w

w
    w

what

you didn't

gah

Torment was much, much better-written than Tsukihime.

I'll agree with that. I also didn't find tsukihime all that godly. It was okay.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    * hey, maybe this thread will contain an interesting discussion of differences in design styles *

Oh god my eyes it's full of stupid.

Seriously, I don't know shit about 'visual novels', but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than shit-posting the thread to death out of denial.

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Or she left you because you are fat. Just sayin'.

I don't believe one bit of the "Japanese games are superior" stuff that's often floating around on the Internet.
    It's not that "Japanese games are always better" it is actually "Sometimes Japanese games in specific genres are better than their American counterparts" and "Sometimes American games are better than Japanese games in specific genres".

No game is better than another because it came out of a specific country.

Don't forget though that some genres were INVENTED in a specific country or are just the most successful/loved genres in that country, so it's not really hard to see that local developers might be more focused on these genres and may have more experience in them, since that's what they try to make their money with.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg