As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k?] Any info on Warhammer 40k MMO...

Gorty77Gorty77 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
...other than they're making it?
Scope, characters, etc? It has great possibilities and I am really psyched for it. (And I never owned any tabletop 40k armies).

Gorty77 on

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    its being made by a group of people who have little to no experience with making any games, let alone MMO's. I wouldn't get my hopes up

also according to wiki, the name has been confirmed as "Warhammer 40k: Ultima Segmentum"

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    its being made by a group of people who have little to no experience with making any games, let alone MMO's. I wouldn't get my hopes up

also according to wiki, the name has been confirmed as "Warhammer 40k: Ultima Segmentum"

So everyone will play Ultramarines?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like the Ultramarines, thanks.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bigity wrote: »
    I like the Ultramarines, thanks.

You assume I was making fun... my second army ever was Ultramarines.

Guilliman was hardcore.

I was more making fun of the fact that everyone will play Space Marines and the Ultramarines are based in the Ultima Segmentum.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I know :)

I have to keep an eye out for heretics is all. I mean, we wrote the freaking Codex Astartes and are the standard for non-corrupted chapters everywhere :) It's a tough gig.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    baby blue just isnt what I want to be wearing into combat. its gay and impractical

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Coming soon to a PC near you-Space Marine Lazor just chillin at the local bar, poppin a few dance emotes and cybering with Sister of Battle Katrina.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    baby blue just isnt what I want to be wearing into combat. its gay and impractical

There are alot of worse chapter colors out there...yellow and red spring to mind :D

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    baby blue just isnt what I want to be wearing into combat. its mocking the shitty aim and small penises of your foe

There you go.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

There are alot of worse chapter colors out there...yellow and red spring to mind :D

Fuck you Imperial Fists are like the Cyclops of the Space Marines.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Don't make me break out the Space Marines of the Chapter of Fabulous.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wasn't it being head up by THQ? I mean, they did a damn fine job on DoW.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Wasn't it being head up by THQ? I mean, they did a damn fine job on DoW.

THQ is a publisher, and currently holds some rights to publish games based on the Warhammer 40,000 games/universe. Relic made Dawn of War under some sort of agreement with THQ. But THQ could very will license the development to someone completely clueless. The MMO is being developed by Vigil, a subsidiary of THQ, and Vigil has yet to release a game. Vigil is so new the company is still hiring for just about any position imaginable.

On the upside, Vigil is in Austin, a city full of great game developers, and it’s no secret that those guys jump ship left and right. Hopefully THQ is pumping Vigil full of Dawn of War money to hire a great team—it would explain the upcoming DoW handheld cash-in games.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Austin eh? More like people will be jumping ship to NCSoft, if they aren't bursting at the seams at least.

Septus on
  • Options
    Zephyranthes91Zephyranthes91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »

Fuck you Imperial Fists are like the Cyclops of the Space Marines.

Damn straight, Imperial Fists own. And it's not "Baby Blue" it's Ultramarines Blue. But Anyway, once this game comes out, if it's half decent, wich hopefully it will be, you can't relly fight the enemies of man kind in the name of the emporer if it sucks, i will be glued to my computer chair.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've been keeping my eye on the Vigil Games job listings (in case something in my line of work comes up, since it would rule beyond words to work on a 40K MMO). They're still hiring for some pretty important positions, like Lead Designers. I wouldn't expect too much progress to be made before those roles are fleshed out. This time next year the early press machine might start working. I wouldn't expect too much before then. I doubt they've even decided on major gameplay elements yet.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And it's not "Baby Blue" it's Ultramarines Blue.

That's the only way you are allowed to refer to Ultramarines Blue, regardless if you're talking about Warhammer 40k or not.

"Yeah, we're having a baby boy. I'm painting the nursery ultramarines blue."

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    zerg rush wrote: »
    And it's not "Baby Blue" it's Ultramarines Blue.

That's the only way you are allowed to refer to Ultramarines Blue, regardless if you're talking about Warhammer 40k or not.

"Yeah, we're having a baby boy. I'm painting the nursery ultramarines blue."

I'd do it. Whenever i have kids, my son will be a Astartes. Although i might have to go with a different color, Ultramarines are cool and all, but you know, there are alot cooler armies, like the Black Templar and Imperial Fists.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    daemonhunters

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    daemonhunters

daemon hunters are awesome but they're a little OP. Not that totally crushing the xenos enemies of the God Emperor is a bad thing, with psychic powers and just pure ass kicking.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Screw the space marines. I'd so drop whatever I was playing if they had Eldar Aspects or even Tyranids.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There is basically no way they could get my money faster and into perpetuity than to let me play a Tyranid.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tau plz.

Also,

Chaos.

Because the emperor is a bitch.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tyranids plz.

Also,

Chaos.

Because the emperor is rotting carcass, Carrion Lord of the Imperium.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They should make a necromunda mmo. That would kick so much ass. But yeah, ok, WH40K......umm I'd want to be Dark Angel, the emo marines.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I actually have always wanted to see necromunda turned into a fallout tactics style strategy game. Or maybe a squad based MMO where individual battles influenced the larger landscape (like chromehounds.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I could play a genestealer magus and lead my group of hideous genestealer hybrids around it would pretty much be the best thing ever.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, my favorite chapter is Blood Angels... but in the entire DoW franchise they have Blood Angels as the only playable space marine chapter, yet not a single Death Company... what the hell?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I want a tutorial mimicing a Schola and then I want to head up a Stormtroopers squad.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, I just had an amazing idea while thinking about this. Summary executions in raids when people screw up.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Leeeeeeeerroooooooooyyyyyy... Jee*BLAM*

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    COMMISSAR! KILL THAT MAN!

*BAM*

Also, blessed is the mind too small for doubt!

Bigity on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Leeeeeeeerroooooooooyyyyyy... Jee*BLAM*

"Ok last time we did this, the gaunts wiped us, so everyone pop your shouts and shields"

"I calculate success at about 3.33 recurring "

"Well better than last tim..."

"LETS DO THIS. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD"

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I hope it relies less on hard stats and more on tactics and large explosions.

Malkor on
  • Options
    zunkzunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hope it relies on being an fps hybrid and not a clone of everything else in the MMO world

zunk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PHALLA ROYALE
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, my favorite chapter is Blood Angels... but in the entire DoW franchise they have Blood Angels as the only playable space marine chapter, yet not a single Death Company... what the hell?

That's because the chapter in the single player component of Dawn of War, is the Blood Ravens not the Blood Angels.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    zunk wrote: »
    I hope it relies on being an fps hybrid and not a clone of everything else in the MMO world

:^: I like the way the Warhammer online has areas of control for a sector, part of the game can be about 'old school' dungeon crawling, but I'd rather have the meat of it be in the form of faction vs. faction.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    zunk wrote: »

Even if they're wise and do this, I'd still be worried about individual space marines being more powerful than many(most?) other basic individual units in opposing armies.

I guess they'd have to try and make other races players be higher order units, like Orks would have to be, uh, Nobz or something instead of regular ol' slugga boyz.

Septus on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    id prefer if this were, planet side only much much better.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, but you don't want servers filled with dudes using Baneblades and Warlords.

Malkor on