As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Radiohead's new Album Out Now!!!

Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So Radiohead have announced that their new album, In Rainbows, will be available for download on October the 10th.
From what I can tell so far, it's going to be totally digital, unless you pre-order some kind of special edition.
And you know what's so great about this release? You can pay any amount of money you want for it. You could get it for 1 buck. The price of the album is completely up to you.

Surely this is a first in the music industry history. I'm pretty amazed at this whole situation, to tell you the truth.

You can go order the album from www.inrainbows.com

One has to wonder what's up with the music industry at the moment. You have Trent Reznor saying in the future he will release all his albums online for cheap, and now Radiohead go and pull this movie. I think Prince also released his latest album completely free.
Are artists finally fighting against the money hungry record execs?
Radiohead have just announced the release of their new album on the band’s ‘Dead Air Space’. The album is called ‘In Rainbows’ and it’s out in ten days. The tracklisting includes most of the rumoured tracks.

The announcement was made by Jonny Greenwood at Radiohead.com, shortly after midnight (UK time). The band’s seventh album is available for download from the album website www.inrainbows.com, starting October 10th. The CD version, ‘DISCBOX’ is actually a double album and will be shipped around December 3rd. Both versions are now available for pre-order.
CD 1: (digital download and discbox)

15 STEP
BODYSNATCHERS
NUDE
WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI
ALL I NEED
FAUST ARP
RECKONER
HOUSE OF CARDS
JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE (also known as Open Pick)
VIDEOTAPE

CD 2: (discbox only)

MK 1
DOWN IS THE NEW UP
GO SLOWLY
MK 2
LAST FLOWERS
UP ON THE LADDER
BANGERS AND MASH
4 MINUTE WARNING

DISCBOX

This consists of the new album, IN RAINBOWS, on CD. And on 2 x 12 inch heavyweight vinyl records. A second, enhanced CD contains more new songs, along with digital photographs and artwork. The discbox also includes artwork and lyric booklets. All are encades in a hardback book and slipcase.

The album download automatically comes with this pack. You can download the file digitally from the 10th October 2007. Discboxes are being made to order and are priced at £40.00 including postage. Shipping will begin on or before 3rd December 2007.

Mysteriously enough, there isn’t a price listed for the download. So you can actually enter what you think it’s worth.

inrainbows.jpg

ateaseweb.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dublo7 on

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, to be quite honest the only ones doing it so far are people who can afford to.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well Radiohead have been complaining about being without a record label or a contract for a while now, and they're Radiohead so they can do whatever the fuck they want.

I'm assuming that the album will be in stores December 3rd, which is when the "discbox" ships, if you choose to preorder it online.

Stars did something pretty similar recently too. They released their new album on their website for like 10 bucks over the summer and if you waited for the CD version, which came out last week, then you got a bonus DVD or something.

Frankly, this is a great way to make sure the money goes directly to the artist and not some suit who hates you and wants your music-buying experience to be as miserable as possible. Radiohead are famous/awesome/crazy enough to not need a fucking record label to sell their music.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm iffy about the financial viablity of this. They're releasing the core of the entire thing (the main album tracks) basically for free, with the formality of asking for a donation, (that's what "enter price" boils down to) while initially selling the hard copy only as a Big Box Set with the same music on vinyl. I'm not sure how long they're going to be doing it this way, but the big box is going to be a pop music equivalent of Steel Battalion, and sales of the inevitable standard CD edition will be bitten into by it being available free for 3 months.

Sam on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm miffed at the site. I can never be sure if it's China fucking with me or poor site design, but I've been trying to give Radiohead my money for the past six hours or so, and it seems like they don't want it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How much are you guys going to buy it for?

I would buy the disc box, but 40 pounds is a bit steep. I don't have that kind of money to spend on CD's. Not to mention, I don't have a vinyl player.

edit - Loren, my order just went through straight away. What problem are you having?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I am trying like hell to give them ten bucks for the download, but either the security code on my credit card or the security code that I have to type in is not flying with them. The ambiguity in this case does not help.

And I am getting progressively more and more miffed.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to get it free, because I know at some point I will be purchasing a hard copy, just not the vinyl set at the price it's listed at. And it screams of "collector's edition craze" anyway, I can't see them not commercially releasing it in CD format- Dec. 3rd is listed as the street date, and I bet that's when it'll come out as a CD option, and it won't be free anymore. It's almost the equivalent of a TV channel uploading new episodes of their shows as they air, and then taking them down when the DVD comes out, except in this case the channel would be putting out the deluxe collector's edition along with the uploading....or something.

In fact, something tells me they do have a second stage distribution deal with a label, and they decided to make themselves some money off the collector's edition and donations for the download before releasing it through and into the system (charts, music vids, concentrated global distribution (as opposed to merely shipping orders worldwide)

There's no way they could really do global distribution on their own, and even if they don't want the money, it's a necessity to have your album available on the same scale when you're a band on their level.

Sam on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There's basically no reason to pirate the online version. That's sort of the point of this, isn't it? Why even bother with someone's poorly-tagged, poorly-ripped, slowly-uploaded illegal version when you can get it direct from the source?

Though part of me does wonder about the bitrate on the digitally distributed one. That's one thing anyone doing digital distribution needs to get right: anything under 192kbps is trash.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I wonder what quality the music files will be?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Stars did something pretty similar recently too. They released their new album on their website for like 10 bucks over the summer and if you waited for the CD version, which came out last week, then you got a bonus DVD or something.

The only reason Stars did that was because it leaked, it leaked, and then about 2 weeks later they released it online through iTunes and such, and then decided to package the CD with a DVD to make people buy it again when they released it over 3 months later.

Though I do have to say while it has been done before, Radiohead is the first to do it on this scale and is doing what so many artists have been talking about, expect Nine Inch Nails to follow suit. I'm going halfs with my sister for the Discbox (Which includes postage by the way guys, so no matter where you are you only pay 40 pounds) but if I were to download it, I would give them 15 AUD.

And above all this, the album has a sweet name, In Rainbows is not something you'd expect from Radiohead, yet is already so uniquely them. Shit I sound like a fanboy.

And to be honest, I don't expect to see this in stores ever, either you download it or you get the disc box. I assume the disc box is that expensive in order to pay for an upcoming tour now that they have no label support. But then again they're Radiohead.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    goddamn weak US Dollar vs british pound...$82 for that and I dont even have a turntable!

I'll order it anyway :(

*edit* no I wont the website is wanged

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You don't need a turntable guys, the contents of the vinyl is the same as the CD.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I know its more the point of paying for it when I cant even use it.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You could like... hang it on a wall.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The only reason Stars did that was because it leaked, it leaked, and then about 2 weeks later they released it online through iTunes and such, and then decided to package the CD with a DVD to make people buy it again when they released it over 3 months later.

Though I do have to say while it has been done before, Radiohead is the first to do it on this scale and is doing what so many artists have been talking about, expect Nine Inch Nails to follow suit. I'm going halfs with my sister for the Discbox (Which includes postage by the way guys, so no matter where you are you only pay 40 pounds) but if I were to download it, I would give them 15 AUD.

And above all this, the album has a sweet name, In Rainbows is not something you'd expect from Radiohead, yet is already so uniquely them. Shit I sound like a fanboy.

And to be honest, I don't expect to see this in stores ever, either you download it or you get the disc box. I assume the disc box is that expensive in order to pay for an upcoming tour now that they have no label support. But then again they're Radiohead.

Again, it isn't really smart to assume there won't be a CD release, singles, music video, etc.
    Radiohead is open to working with labels, it's just that they want to work on a one-off basis and set their own terms. Rumors a couple months ago indicated that though the album was finished, label negotiations would put off the release until Q1 '08. This self-release isn't necessarily the only thing they're doing with their album, I think they just really wanted to give their fans something, (No new material for 4 years, senseless to prolong it to 5 due to legal mumbo jumbo) and give leakers/pirates an almighty Fuck You.

I mean when was the last time a highly anticipated album managed to not get leaked and have its release be a genuine surprise?

Sam on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait.. guys.. "The album download automatically comes with this pack." So does this mean we get CD1 and CD2 if we download it for any price we want, or do we have to buy it in stores to get CD2? Clarification please.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    TheBog wrote: »
    Wait.. guys.. "The album download automatically comes with this pack." So does this mean we get CD1 and CD2 if we download it for any price we want, or do we have to buy it in stores to get CD2? Clarification please.
    If you buy the disc box, you still have the option to download it. Then in December, your CDs and Vinyl will ship.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    TheBog wrote: »
    If you buy the disc box, you still have the option to download it. Then in December, your CDs and Vinyl will ship.

which doesn't mean anything cause you can download it free anyway :/

Sam on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Though part of me does wonder about the bitrate on the digitally distributed one. That's one thing anyone doing digital distribution needs to get right: anything under 192kbps is trash.

There was one band I ran across once that offers all their music free...as 128 kbps downloads. Then they say that if you want higher-quality versions of the songs, you can order the CD. Interesting tactic, but I kinda doubt it's working very well for them.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll have to pick this up next week. Fucking poor right now.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I will be sending them $8-$10, to not only show my support, but to show what a CD should actually cost.

Shame I will probably have look for alternative means of getting disc 2 though, as I don't have $80 to drop on it. Hopefully, that will release on its own in December.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, uh, how do we go about ordering the thing? I just see a page with four lines on it, and some psychadelic craziness in the background, with the first line being a link to their other site.

I think I'm missing something.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God, $80?

I want the CDs, not the vinyl.

Can I just give you $30 and not get the vinyl, Radiohead?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Eh, it's Radiohead so I'm in for the diskbox. Not like I'd do this for any band.

I also really respect them releasing it on their own and asking only for donations. Very cool (although I do understand the fact that they have already made money so they aren't struggling artists or anything).

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't breathe

I can't breathe

Oh my God

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think 10 quid would be what I pay, if I ever bother. Ten is a nice number.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    suttbeckssuttbecks Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I, uh, paid 0.00

it didn't ask me for a credit card, I assume I am going to get it

suttbecks on
  • Options
    B166ERB166ER Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So if smaller, indie artists don't need major record labels and the biggest artists need them even less, what's even the point of their existence anymore?

B166ER on
    timothyreal.gif
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I tried to pay 5 dollars for the album, but the website is so poor at navigating I went with 0.00 because I had spent 15 minutes trying to give them my money to no avail.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I tried to pay 5 dollars for the album, but the website is so poor at navigating I went with 0.00 because I had spent 15 minutes trying to give them my money to no avail.

Shit, I was trying to give them ten.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Earlier today I got to the part where it wanted to authenticate with Visa, and WebKit crashed. The next time around I couldn’t even add the downloads to my basket. I’ll try again tomorrow, but if it’s going to keep crapping on me then they must not want my money too much.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    pegwedgepegwedge Registered User new member
    edited October 2007
    They said today that they'll be releasing it on CD in early 2008. No set date as of yet. So for a hard copy till then I guess the discbox is the only option.

pegwedge on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The website would not accept my Visa, but it took Mastercard without issue.

God damn I'm so excited. This move might defy basic economic principles (why would anyone pay anything if they have no incentive to do so?), but I think it was a good one nonetheless. Presumably, Radiohead doesn't really need more cash anyway.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope they're willing to release information on this experiment. Total downloads, total donations, average donation, etc.

I'm not really a Radiohead fan but I can't say no to this. I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for the cd at a store but 5 bucks works for me. I like what they're trying anyway, though I know they've made plenty of money off previous albums to cover this.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, I want statistics when this is over.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I had to go with the Discbox, as I've got the collector's editions of every Radiohead album since Kid A.

I'm a sucker for artsy packaging.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Already stated stilist.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, The Smashing Pumpkins released their final (pre-reunion) album for free online, and no one except for serious Smashing Pumpkins fans seems to know that it exists. Of course, that was in 2000 when nobody really cared about the Pumpkins anymore and it doesn't seem that Radiohead are going to drop in popularity any time soon.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, does anyone care about the Pumpkins in this point in time?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]