As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Radiohead's new Album Out Now!!!

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hmm, The Smashing Pumpkins released their final (pre-reunion) album for free online, and no one except for serious Smashing Pumpkins fans seems to know that it exists. Of course, that was in 2000 when nobody really cared about the Pumpkins anymore and it doesn't seem that Radiohead are going to drop in popularity any time soon.

Not just that, but 2000 was a very different time than 2007 for the online music industry.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Hmm, The Smashing Pumpkins released their final (pre-reunion) album for free online, and no one except for serious Smashing Pumpkins fans seems to know that it exists. Of course, that was in 2000 when nobody really cared about the Pumpkins anymore and it doesn't seem that Radiohead are going to drop in popularity any time soon.

Not just that, but 2000 was a very different time than 2007 for the online music industry.

And if you want to get technical about it, they didn't release it online. They printed 25 vinyl copies, sent those out, those got various transfers done, and then mp3s were posted online by fans. And it came out just as the band was coming to an end (well, for the 20th century), so the album had no official support, no official website, and was released in a very limited run. This Radiohead album has a couple of those and will eventually have all of them.

Gim on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just purchased the DiscBox set. I would not do this for any other band than Radiohead.

I have every LP/Single/Import/Limited Edition CD they have produced, so the choice was pretty obvious to me. :)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    I have every LP/Single/Import/Limited Edition CD they have produced, so the choice was pretty obvious to me. :)

You bastard.

(Post a list so I know what I need!)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Take the money and run
    Take the money and run
    Take the money

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    does anyone know what format/quality this is going to be in?

also, you do get a whole extra cd of content with the discbox right?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    I just purchased the DiscBox set. I would not do this for any other band than Radiohead.

Good man.

I do the same thing, although I know I'm missing four or five singles/LPs of some of their early stuff.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    All I've heard about format is MP3.

It'd be nice if they offered a FLAC package.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah, it would.

I'm just trying to measure how different the two packages are.

Variable on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    All I've heard about format is MP3.

It'd be nice if they offered a FLAC package.

If it's a decent VBR MP3 rip, it's not that big a deal, although FLAC would be glorious. A 5.1 DTS mix would be even better.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait for this.

I am vibrating at a molecular level, I am that excited.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's out in a week. Oh god, oh god.

It better be worth my 1 pound.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

you payed for it? Why?

I know I am probably gonna buy the Diskobox, and probably the version that comes out in the shops next year. This one disk thing, i just see it as a little free teaser.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Eh, I don't mind paying 1 pound for it.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wouldn't take my Visa. had to get it for free. I'll have to give them my money once I'm able to buy a regular CD in the States or Hong Kong or whichever happens first.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BoredGamer wrote: »
    I can't wait for this.

I sincerely hope that no you are vibrating at a molecular level, no matter the availability of music. If not, my best bet is that you are currently very, very, very cold.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I can't wait for this.

I sincerely hope that no you are vibrating at a molecular level, no matter the availability of music. If not, my best bet is that you are currently very, very, very cold.

.....Joke?

Just thought I'd express my feelings in a comical way.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait for this.

.....Joke?

We don't take kindly to your ilk in these parts

You best be moving along

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I can't wait for this.

.....Joke?

We don't take kindly to your ilk in these parts

You best be moving along

This is an......evil place......

Seriously though, getting back on topic, I can't wait to see what they have done with these songs. I heard some of the live versions and loved then, hopefully they have spiced it up a little.

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Can't wait to hear the studio version of 15 Step.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Can't wait to hear the studio version of 15 Step.

Oh shit, you just reminded me of that song. oh my god.....I am gonna have to listen to that. RIGHT NOW!

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

you payed for it? Why?
    To support art? What is with you people?

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wonder which track they used binaural recording on. Videotape hopefully?

Sam on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

you payed for it? Why?
    To support art? What is with you people?

Agreed. It's important to support this kind of thing because it'll mean lower prices for us and more money for artists.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh man Nude is so beautiful, I can't wait to hear what they've done with it

and now that you foooooooooouuuuund iiiiiiiit, iiiiit's gone
    and now that you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel iiiiiiiiiiit ....you don't

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Can't stop listening to Videotape on youtube.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn.

Any idea if the Discbox is a limited thing? I would love to get it for the second CD (no idea what I'd do with the vinyls. Been a while since I had a record player) but I'm not going to eb able to get it until the new year at best.

The download is interesting. I guess it depends on format and DRM. I'll wait till a few days after the release before trying to download it!

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else think it's funny that Kid A is considered an "electronic" album when it really has like.... 3 electronic songs? Like, some guy in the SE++ Radiohead thread was going on about Kid A being electronic wankery, and I'm thinking "electronic? what?"

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Everything in its Right Place, Kid A and Idioteque I'm guessing? The other ones are electronicky enough for the whole album to get that kind of label. The ringmod or whatever it is on Thom's voice in National Anthem, stuff like that.

Also, I think I may have accidentally achieved some kind of poor man's binaural effect the other day when I brought my laptop into the practise rooms to sample some out-of-tune piano. Whenever I listen to the song I put it in, it sounds like someone else is in the room with me because of the chair squeaking and everything.

PS I paid two pounds for this and want it real bad. I'm very excited to listen to it on the train/bus ride home from college for break that weekend :D

Also, anyone comment on how this is coming out on a Wednesday? I guess it makes perfect sense since there is no label, just thought it was kind of a nice touch. Or is the official date thing different in England?

EDIT: And by that I mean the thing where all video games and records come out on Tuesdays here.

Snork on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Take the money and run
    Take the money and run
    Take the money

win

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else think it's funny that Kid A is considered an "electronic" album when it really has like.... 3 electronic songs? Like, some guy in the SE++ Radiohead thread was going on about Kid A being electronic wankery, and I'm thinking "electronic? what?"
    Kid A is just amazing, that's all there is to it. I haven't really sat down and thought about it, but it's probably the best album of the 2000s so far.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Kid A is just amazing, that's all there is to it. I haven't really sat down and thought about it, but it's probably the best album of the 2000s so far.

Oh no doubt that it's amazing and pushed a lot of boundaries, just, as Snork accurately guessed, Everything in its Right Place, Kid A, and Idioteque are the only songs I would really consider "electronic". Maybe Morning Bell, maybe. And yet it constantly gets referred to as an electronic album.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, yeah, Morning Bell too. I guess what people mean when they say 'electronic' is really 'i thought somebody played guitar in this band'

Snork on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I got into a three hour text message argument yesterday with my friend over what the purpose of this is, and if it's okay to pay nothing.

I don't want to rehash it here, amongst people who actually think before they speak unlike said friend, but I must ask... beside whatever is in the OP, have radiohead themselves said anything on this? as to point or purpose?

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Probably they got sick of trying to deal with record labels and the fact that they have been sitting on a finished album for a month or two now, but wouldn't be able to release it until 2008 if they had to keep fucking around with those useless clowns.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So who's releasing the Discbox version?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    good. further evidence that my friend is just a fucking idiot. thanks.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And the Lord said, "LET THERE BE WIKI!"
    Contract issues

In interviews in 2006, the band said that "for the first time, we have no contract or release deadline to fulfill – it's both liberating and terrifying".[12] Having fulfilled their six-album contract with EMI with the release of Hail to the Thief, the band had stated while recording that they would not make a decision on how to release their new material until it was finished.[13] Radiohead vocalist Thom Yorke had also hinted at the possibility of releasing EPs rather than an album.

When between labels, Yorke, commenting on the band's relationship with EMI, said, "We have no record contract as such. Any offers?..What we would like is the old EMI back again, the nice genteel arms manufacturers who treated music [as] a nice side project who weren't too bothered about the shareholders. Ah well, not much chance of that."[14]

Release and distribution

On October 1, 2007 Radiohead announced via their blog the title, track list, and release dates of their seventh studio album, In Rainbows. At the time of its release, the band will not be in a contract with any record label. The album will be available exclusively as a digital download from inrainbows.com on October 10, 2007. The download version includes the 10 tracks that make up the album. It is not yet known which codec or bit rate the music will be encoded in, or if DRM will be employed. It is reported that a standard CD version of the album is to be released in early 2008.[15] A special "discbox" will be released on December 3, 2007 through their W.A.S.T.E. web-marketing area, and will contain the physical album on both CD and two 12" heavyweight vinyl records with artwork and lyric booklets. The discbox will also include a bonus Enhanced CD which contains 8 bonus tracks, as well as digital photos and artwork. The overall set will be packaged in a hardcover book and slipcase.

While the discbox, which includes the digital download, is priced at £40 (80 USD), the price of download by itself is left up to the buyer. Upon purchase, the buyer is prompted to type their desired price (plus a transaction fee of 45 pence if purchased for more than £0.00).[16]

God damn, $80. I'm psyched that they're releasing it on super heavy wax, but I'm not enough of a fan to pay what they're asking.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fuck.

Eight bonus tracks.

I may have to buy that.

God damn it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Why don't you just pay a little more than you normally would for the download version and then pirate the bonus tracks? Then it kind of evens out.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png