As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Also i need to switch some jobs around I think so I can get JP boost on everyone so I can master some jobs quicker.

In the event that you didn't already know, there's a JP spillover effect that takes place. When Ramza the (insert job here) gains JP, approximately 25% of the points he gains will be what all other living allies gain for that job. I believe JP boost does not effect how much they gain.

So if Ramza the squire gains 20 JP for an action and you have 4 generics in your party. Regardless of what job they are, they would each gain 5 JP towards the squire job.

If Ramza the ninja gains 20 jp, even if the other generics do not have access to the ninja job, they would gain 5 jp more for it. You can open up a job and find out you have a ton of points in it already due to this effect.

So if your character is like 100 points away from a skill you want or from reaching a job level, it might be a better idea to use this spillover to help you get what you need faster, rather than changing jobs more frequently.

The above percentage is what I've seen a few times and should be pretty close.

Ardor on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah I knew about that. I just figure getting JP boost for everyone while grinding will speed up their other job skills that much more.
    JP boost is a squire skill right?

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes sir ~

I'm still working on the DK class.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Divider wrote: »
    Yes sir ~

There's a Donkey Kong class?

/cheapshot

I loves me some magic users but it really seems like the game would be ridiculously simpler (and quicker) if you avoided using them altogether and kept a big wad of atheists running around.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Luso = Ramza.
    And guess what he can learn, too? :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yes sir ~

There's a Donkey Kong class?

/cheapshot

I loves me some magic users but it really seems like the game would be ridiculously simpler (and quicker) if you avoided using them altogether and kept a big wad of atheists running around.

LoL, word word.

Haste and Arise are really the only magic I use outside of Summons. I wanted to try to not rely on magic ( not counting Summons ) by using a setup like this:

# 1 ( Ramza )
    Chemist
    Bard Song ( random buffs on the team, not considered magic so it won't be reflected )
    Swiftness

# 2
    Summoner ( Golem and Carbunkle for taking physical damage and reflecting magic )
    Iaido ( ranged damage and protective sword techs, affected by magic power )
    Arcane Strength

# 3
    Dancer ( Forbidden Dance or Slow Polka, lowering enemies speed and raising teams speed with Bardsong )
    Steal ( master thief )
    Swiftness

# 4 ( Luso )
    Master Dragoon

# 5 Beowulf ( Status effects / thrower of potions )
    Excalibur
    Temple Knight / Master Chemist Class
    Throw Items
    80 Faith
    Move +2,3
    Germinas Boots

All just in my head since I don't have the whole team prepared. I might use something like this ( if I can ) when my buddy gets a higher level and we duel. With a setup like this I don't have to worry about magic affecting me, buff the team with Bardsong, cause status effects or slow down opposing team with the Dancer and Jump them with my Dragoon. Beowulf is my trump card.

Divider on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Also i need to switch some jobs around I think so I can get JP boost on everyone so I can master some jobs quicker.

In the event that you didn't already know, there's a JP spillover effect that takes place. When Ramza the (insert job here) gains JP, approximately 25% of the points he gains will be what all other living allies gain for that job. I believe JP boost does not effect how much they gain.

So if Ramza the squire gains 20 JP for an action and you have 4 generics in your party. Regardless of what job they are, they would each gain 5 JP towards the squire job.

If Ramza the ninja gains 20 jp, even if the other generics do not have access to the ninja job, they would gain 5 jp more for it. You can open up a job and find out you have a ton of points in it already due to this effect.

So if your character is like 100 points away from a skill you want or from reaching a job level, it might be a better idea to use this spillover to help you get what you need faster, rather than changing jobs more frequently.

The above percentage is what I've seen a few times and should be pretty close.

Those numbers are correct. You can get mad crazy jp if (for some reason) you go into battle with 5x of the same class. This jp you got from your teammates actions wasn't really explained at all in the PSX version of the game, so it always confused the fuck out of me why some of my characters would open up a job and have like 800 fucking points in it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hnn. I think I'm going to hack the PSX version of the game.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really don't know half of what you guys are talking about. I havn't played the PSP one and it seems like they renamed way too many skills fromthe PSX one.

And JP spillover? was that in the PSX one?

PingPong on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Can someone explain how the monk's Cyclone ability works? I can't seem to target the squares that actually contain enemies. =\

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PingPong wrote: »
    I really don't know half of what you guys are talking about. I havn't played the PSP one and it seems like they renamed way too many skills fromthe PSX one.

And JP spillover? was that in the PSX one?

Yes it was.

I wonder how long it's going to take me to use JP spillover to get my two level 1 characters access to Mime (I don't like using the level down trap, so I'm trying to maximize my gains on them with one go through).
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Can someone explain how the monk's Cyclone ability works? I can't seem to target the squares that actually contain enemies. =\

It attacks all squares around you (front, back, left, right), but it has a vertical tolerance of 0, meaning they have to be on the same level ground. So if you're on a square of height 2, the enemies surrounding you have to be on a square of height 2.

Invisible on
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm assuimg cyclone isthe new spin punch. AKA that shit that never works and even if it did, it wasn't worth it

PingPong on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Invisible wrote: »

It attacks all squares around you (front, back, left, right), but it has a vertical tolerance of 0, meaning they have to be on the same level ground. So if you're on a square of height 2, the enemies surrounding you have to be on a square of height 2.

Aha, that was the problem. Thanks.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Aha, that was the problem. Thanks.

Just like Revive. Monk abilities are cool mid-game but very annoying to use in practice.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    How sad is it that it took me till mid chapter 2 to realize that there were other pages to the skills I could learn? Needless to say, when I finally learned how to learn auto-potion/throw item/etc, the game got a fair bit easier. Now I just wish I hadn't wasted so many chemist points on items I never use.

taeric on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just got into Chapter 4 finally and the crew ranges from level 69-72. Sometimes I feel like the Death Star, roaming from location to location, threatening to blow up all residents if they try to attack.

...sometimes though, they form a Rebel Alliance and threaten to blow up my Death Star. It might be ironic because they come in the form of Red Chocobos (Red 1, Red 2, Red 3, Red 4, Red 5, etc.).

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want to make my own classes.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FF12 license board?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    FF12 license board?

But with a fun battle system, sure.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    FF12 license board?

But with a fun battle system, sure.

If they have gameshark-type options in the PSP version, you can technically make your own class. I have a gameshark for the PS1 and was able to modify classes as I saw fit. You can technically give your character innate everything if you want, then make them an orlandu-ish character and throw in Orran's ability as well for kicks.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hey hey hey I liked FF 12 but it was semi-hard making your own class since to get "this" you had to get "that". The ability to use any weapon setup was great though. My uber mage Penelo with a mace/shield was hard to hit.

( moving on )

Just got Beowulf and Dragon Reis and skeptical about raising the templar. I've done it every time before but once you master his class and give him a decent setup he can solo anything. Stole the Glacier gun, wooot!

Does anybody here use Marach or Rapha? There elemental magic thingamajigs worth it with buffed up Faith and MA?

Team right now:

Ramza - 52 Black Mage / Time Mage
    Celes - 50 Samurai / Geo ( doing 200+ with Murasame, Iaido & Arcane Strength.....thanks for the tip! )
    Rinoa - 49 White Mage / Summoner
    Luso - 50 Ninja / Hunter
    Edgar - Dragoon / Monk

Maybe I'll make Rapha, Reis, Beowulf in my secondary team. Time to get the rest of the crew ~

Divider on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FF12 did have a fun battle system. :O

But yeah, hacking into the PSX version was fun as hell. You could do so much interesting stuff.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Finally beat it, which is great becuase this was one of those games that I always wanted to beat but never got around to... thank god for handhelds and the swing shift at work.

Final Party:

Ramza - Level 45 Dragoon/Chemist with Auto potion and doublehand

Gauwyn - Level 40 Orator/Whitemage (Used mainly for bufffing and healing characters... was not used in final battle... also used a gun for long distance sniping)

Gylda - Level 43 Black Mage/Time mage (Damage with Flare and speeding up the melee guys)

Alicia - Level 47 Monk/Ninja (My pretty little murderer... buffed her brave up to 90 and she uses throw and double hand with hamedo. I would send her out to kill any espeically dangerous enemies right off the bat.)

Orlandeau - Level 47 Sword Saint... self explanatory... he just wrecked people.

Meliadoul - Level 46 Divine Knight... Swapped out with Gauwyn when I needed extra muscle.

Since my PSP backlog is so large right now Im going to put this game away for a bit and later on when things calm down on that front Ill break it back out for side quests and all that.

Question:
    Did everyone die from my party except Ramza and Alma?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys weren't kidding about Agrias.

She's become some kind of idiot now.

Using single attacks on one opponent when he's one space away from another?

Mustadio's a little more clever, but I'm not used to Agrias being so shortsighted.

And where did the spell quotes go? I loved those.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

And where did the spell quotes go? I loved those.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Finally beat it, which is great becuase this was one of those games that I always wanted to beat but never got around to... thank god for handhelds and the swing shift at work.

Final Party:

Ramza - Level 45 Dragoon/Chemist with Auto potion and doublehand

Gauwyn - Level 40 Orator/Whitemage (Used mainly for bufffing and healing characters... was not used in final battle... also used a gun for long distance sniping)

Gylda - Level 43 Black Mage/Time mage (Damage with Flare and speeding up the melee guys)

Alicia - Level 47 Monk/Ninja (My pretty little murderer... buffed her brave up to 90 and she uses throw and double hand with hamedo. I would send her out to kill any espeically dangerous enemies right off the bat.)

Orlandeau - Level 47 Sword Saint... self explanatory... he just wrecked people.

Meliadoul - Level 46 Divine Knight... Swapped out with Gauwyn when I needed extra muscle.

Since my PSP backlog is so large right now Im going to put this game away for a bit and later on when things calm down on that front Ill break it back out for side quests and all that.

Question:
    They're probably dead too actually

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Question:
    They're probably dead too actually
    If I remember right, there is a scene at the end showing those two riding off on chocobos, never to be seen again.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ending:
    I don't even see how people get a "probably" from the ending. Olan watches them ride away, there's an FMV showing them riding away way past his view and no where else in the game have people seen the dead in such a way. The other characters aren't brought up for several reasons: 1. They can be dismissed, 2. They can be permanently killed, 3. If they're not special they're generic. Ramza and Alma are the only characters in the final battle who are necessary and they are carrying zodiac stones, which have already been shown to save one person's life. Just because escape wasn't apparent doesn't mean it is impossible and Delita was able to survive the explosion from Chapter 1, no reason they couldn't survive the final boss.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ending:
    I don't even see how people get a "probably" from the ending. Olan watches them ride away, there's an FMV showing them riding away way past his view and no where else in the game have people seen the dead in such a way. The other characters aren't brought up for several reasons: 1. They can be dismissed, 2. They can be permanently killed, 3. If they're not special they're generic. Ramza and Alma are the only characters in the final battle who are necessary and they are carrying zodiac stones, which have already been shown to save one person's life. Just because escape wasn't apparent doesn't mean it is impossible and Delita was able to survive the explosion from Chapter 1, no reason they couldn't survive the final boss.
    I haven't beaten the new version yet, so maybe the translation is different, but I recall that only one person saw them (despite the number of people around), and it was implied that it might have been a hallucination.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still only midway through Chapter 3 but good lord: Every time one of the animated cutscenes comes up, I have to watch it about two or three times in a row because it's so freaking awesome. And my jaw just drops from time to time at how good the new translation is. I played the original to death when I was younger, but with this version I'm getting it brand-new all over again.

A secret dream of mine would be to have a fully-rendered animated storybook of this game: Just the cutscenes and in-game/pre-battle dialogue. As-is, I'm sure I'll be carryng this game around not even to play but just to review the Chronicle from time to time.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Completely agree, this game is a sight for sore eyes. It's very hard to not love this game minus how long it's been around.

Other old school games that will be coming out ( eventually ) for the PsP.

Star Ocean 1
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/832/832412p1.html

Star Ocean 2 ( the next BEST game for the PsP.....well for me ) This is one for the books ~ 8-)
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/822/822016p1.html

Divider on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Completely agree, this game is a sight for sore eyes. It's very hard to not love this game minus how long it's been around.

Other old school games that will be coming out ( eventually ) for the PsP.

Star Ocean 1
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/832/832412p1.html

Star Ocean 2 ( the next BEST game for the PsP.....well for me ) This is one for the books ~ 8-)
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/822/822016p1.html

:shock:
    I think I just creamed myself.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not above re-buying all my favorite PSone RPGs for the PSP. Star Ocean 2? Hell yeah. Xenogears please?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah.

Xenogears.

Why hasn't that been made for the PSP yet?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I hear they might even do Vagrant Story. That game had a nice fanbase like Tactics but not nearly as much. I loved that game ( but never beat it ) but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

Now if they made a sequel to that or *cough* brought Parasite Eve to the PsP *cough* all I have to say is watch out cars, I need to level up whilst driving!

Divider on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I would kill for Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve on the PSP. They'd have to actually port VS correctly though, since lag would kill that game's combat.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I hear they might even do Vagrant Story. That game had a nice fanbase like Tactics but not nearly as much. I loved that game ( but never beat it ) but I'm not sure how well it would sell.

Now if they made a sequel to that or *cough* brought Parasite Eve to the PsP *cough* all I have to say is watch out cars, I need to level up whilst driving!

Seriously, if Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story came to the PSP, I think all bets would be off.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Considering how lagged FFT is on the PSP, Vagrant Story would be almost unplayable.

I think it had the most amazing graphics on any PS1 game ever.
    (I remember thinking the in-engine cutscenes from the commercial couldn't possibly be from gameplay.)

But yeah, I'd still get it.

I reached the Golgorand Execution Site/Gallows.

Still tough as ever. I hate how losing a guest still only lets you take five people into a battle.

Even if you're up against eight opponents.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Considering how lagged FFT is on the PSP, Vagrant Story would be almost unplayable.

I think it had the most amazing graphics on any PS1 game ever.
    (I remember thinking the in-engine cutscenes from the commercial couldn't possibly be from gameplay.)

But yeah, I'd still get it.

I reached the Golgorand Execution Site/Gallows.

Still tough as ever. I hate how losing a guest still only lets you take five people into a battle.

Even if you're up against eight opponents.

I'm even more convinced it was just an incredibly incompetent port since Disgaea PSP has better battle effects, and is a port of a PS2 game, and it runs flawlessly.

Golgorand can be tricky, especially the time mages. You'll learn to hate time mages.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I learn that time mages deserve two fists upside the head.

Zen Vulgarity on