As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I got lucky and successfully rent Gafs sword at the start. Screw stealing it, ninjas don't take kindly to Blood Swords!

Other than that I had a Samurai, Black/Time Mage, Dragoon and a Red Chocobo <--great at taking out Time Mages. Usually when I do that battle I take a Dancer to use Forbidden Dance but no dice this time, I should've since my mage almost crystalized.

Dancer using Slow Polka
    Bard using Rousing Melody

Increasing your overall speed permantly in battle and lowering the enemies is great.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So what can I do to nullify Arm Shot?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    Ending:
    I don't even see how people get a "probably" from the ending. Olan watches them ride away, there's an FMV showing them riding away way past his view and no where else in the game have people seen the dead in such a way. The other characters aren't brought up for several reasons: 1. They can be dismissed, 2. They can be permanently killed, 3. If they're not special they're generic. Ramza and Alma are the only characters in the final battle who are necessary and they are carrying zodiac stones, which have already been shown to save one person's life. Just because escape wasn't apparent doesn't mean it is impossible and Delita was able to survive the explosion from Chapter 1, no reason they couldn't survive the final boss.
    I haven't beaten the new version yet, so maybe the translation is different, but I recall that only one person saw them (despite the number of people around), and it was implied that it might have been a hallucination.
    It was brought up somewhere that Orran has not yet known about or seen Alma, so it would be impossible for him to hallucinate about her.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Thief's Cap, Cachusha, Guardian Bracelet and Ribbon all nullify it.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ending:
    I don't even see how people get a "probably" from the ending. Olan watches them ride away, there's an FMV showing them riding away way past his view and no where else in the game have people seen the dead in such a way. The other characters aren't brought up for several reasons: 1. They can be dismissed, 2. They can be permanently killed, 3. If they're not special they're generic. Ramza and Alma are the only characters in the final battle who are necessary and they are carrying zodiac stones, which have already been shown to save one person's life. Just because escape wasn't apparent doesn't mean it is impossible and Delita was able to survive the explosion from Chapter 1, no reason they couldn't survive the final boss.
    I haven't beaten the new version yet, so maybe the translation is different, but I recall that only one person saw them (despite the number of people around), and it was implied that it might have been a hallucination.
    It was brought up somewhere that Orran has not yet known about or seen Alma, so it would be impossible for him to hallucinate about her.

The scene occurs at her "funeral", so it's likely he has learned of her (Edit: Actually now that I think about, I believe Ramza mentions her to him after the battle with the deserters), but he was never shown meeting her in the game. And there's nothing to imply it is a hallucination.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Thief's Cap, Cachusha, Guardian Bracelet and Ribbon all nullify it.

Thank you kindly.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So i picked this up the other day after I caved into buying a used psp from someone for 110 bucks CAD. I am rather annoyed they made everyone talk like pansies. I can no longer imagine the scene with Mustadio and the phoenix down if this weird gibberish keeps up.

EDIT: Which monster was it that only appears in story battles? I gotta get my poach on

PingPong on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PingPong wrote: »
    So i picked this up the other day after I caved into buying a used psp from someone for 110 bucks CAD. I am rather annoyed they made everyone talk like pansies. I can no longer imagine the scene with Mustadio and the phoenix down if this weird gibberish keeps up.

Man, what? I <3 the new dialog... its actually pretty good representation of Late Middle English\Early Modern English. Usually they just toss in a few thees and thous and call it a day-eth.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Man, what? I <3 the new dialog... its actually pretty good representation of Late Middle English\Early Modern English. Usually they just toss in a few thees and thous and call it a day-eth.

MERCENARY, damnit. What is a sellsword?

I'm impressed they did this much to revamp this "remake" though. But they had no excuse to rename the skills. Nonewhatsoever. Not that I know of anyway.

PingPong on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MERCENARY, damnit. What is a sellsword?

An Archaic word meaning "mercenary" :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited November 2007

EDIT: Which monster was it that only appears in story battles? I gotta get my poach on

Tis your birthright and faith that wrong you, not the fantastic new script.

Edit: And I think you're thinking of the pigs. They're fairly rare outside of storyline battles.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Tis your birthright and faith that wrong you, not the fantastic new script.

Edit: And I think you're thinking of the pigs. They're fairly rare outside of storyline battles.

I dont think there are any monsters that only show up in storyline battles, but there are one or two that can only be poached by breeding your own I believe.

And that response on the script is made of fucking win :^:

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Luso fucking owns. Hard.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Finished Golgorand. Lost my mainstay Black Mage, but at that point, I just wanted it to be over.

I'll keep a backup save just in case.

About the cutscene afterwards...
    Is that scene with Wiegraf at Miluda's grave new? I don't remember seeing something like that before.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, they added some new scenes like that to clarify some parts of the story.

Invisible on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It does help explain why
    Wiegraf joined up with them. I really hope they go into detail about how Elmdor became a Lucavi.

Before, it was kind of like 'oh, by the way, Elmdor died, and now he's Lucavi'.

Ok, I'm so not ready for the fight after that. :|
    I'd forgotten the Castle Gate battle was right after Golgorand.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FF:TA is probably my all-time favorite RPG. Up until picking this title up last week I didn't understand why FF:TA was decried for a "lack of depth". I get it now.

I'm not very far into it at all (about to head to the desert in the first chapter, my five main characters at level 11), and I've got a couple questions:

1) I mentioned I'm using 5 specific guys. Given that the party can't exceed five player controlled characters, is there any tangible benefit from keeping my "overflow" members at the same level? It's fairly standard in these types of games to have a chapter where you are forced to split your cadre into two and I don't want to get borked.

2) Is there any downside to grinding in the first chapter? I've been using Focus with JP Boost quite a bit and noticed that while the random battles scale accordingly, story battles do not. Am I setting myself up for trouble?

3) Is the highest-level enemy in a random battle determined by the highest-level member of your entire party, or just the active participants?

4) Does Autopotion scale according to both inventory and learned Chemist skills? ie. if I have zero potions, but several high potions, will the character use those? Do they need to learn the relevant item skill first?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I appreciate any insight.

I picked up a PSP for this game and I'm not disappointed yet. As a longtime DS lover it's really nice to see some legitimate competition in the marketplace. Disgaea and Jeanne D'Arc are looking pretty attractive right now.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SisterRay wrote: »
    FF:TA is probably my all-time favorite RPG. Up until picking this title up last week I didn't understand why FF:TA was decried for a "lack of depth". I get it now.

I'm not very far into it at all (about to head to the desert in the first chapter, my five main characters at level 11), and I've got a couple questions:

1) I mentioned I'm using 5 specific guys. Given that the party can't exceed five player controlled characters, is there any tangible benefit from keeping my "overflow" members at the same level? It's fairly standard in these types of games to have a chapter where you are forced to split your cadre into two and I don't want to get borked.

2) Is there any downside to grinding in the first chapter? I've been using Focus with JP Boost quite a bit and noticed that while the random battles scale accordingly, story battles do not. Am I setting myself up for trouble?

3) Is the highest-level enemy in a random battle determined by the highest-level member of your entire party, or just the active participants?

4) Does Autopotion scale according to both inventory and learned Chemist skills? ie. if I have zero potions, but several high potions, will the character use those? Do they need to learn the relevant item skill first?

I picked up a PSP for this game and I'm not disappointed yet. As a longtime DS lover it's really nice to see some legitimate competition in the marketplace. Disgaea and Jeanne D'Arc are looking pretty attractive right now.

1)You never need more than 5 for any battle, but there are some where your party is split. Many times they don't let you use all 5. The only reason you would want extra character is if you want to do all the missions you get from bars, it's easier if you can send someone off and still have a full party.

2)There's no problem at all. There is some necessary grinding in this game, but you can do it pretty much any time you want. Only stop grinding if you think the game is too easy, or if you start getting jobs that you can't actually buy equipment for.

3)Active participants, I think.

4)Auto-Potion uses the lowest "level" potion you have, so that you don't waste, say, you single X-Potion because a goblin hit you for 10 damage. You can just sell off all your crappier potions when you gain access to better ones at the store.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »

1)You never need more than 5 for any battle, but there are some where your party is split. Many times they don't let you use all 5. The only reason you would want extra character is if you want to do all the missions you get from bars, it's easier if you can send someone off and still have a full party.

2)There's no problem at all. There is some necessary grinding in this game, but you can do it pretty much any time you want. Only stop grinding if you think the game is too easy, or if you start getting jobs that you can't actually buy equipment for.

3)Active participants, I think.

4)Auto-Potion uses the lowest "level" potion you have, so that you don't waste, say, you single X-Potion because a goblin hit you for 10 damage. You can just sell off all your crappier potions when you gain access to better ones at the store.

3) is actually the highest level in your entire party, which is why late game random encounters in some areas are fucking insane.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1) you will never need them. Max you will ever use in a battle is 5.
    2) Level up to your hearts content. Story battles have set levels for the baddies, though random battles increase in level as you go up. Only disadvantage is the lack of equipment for some of the later classes earlier in the game.
    3) Active participants I believe.
    4) They will use your lowest effective potion. Later on it is sweet having them auto-x potions because you have no regulars or high's.

Most of all, enjoy the game!

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited November 2007

This is great, thanks!

I didn't realize this game had the dispatch missions as well. FF:TA featured a sitting/standing/jumping "rating" to illustrate the viability of each dispatch mission. Does this game spell it out for you in a similar fashion?

And on that note, any idea what stats & attributes play into the success rate of a particular mission?

SisterRay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    3) Addendum: While this doesn't effect the enemy level, according to various sources the rewards you receive from the new multiplayer missions are based upon your total average level and not just your highest character.

Also, in story battles humans have set levels while monsters do not. They are instead based upon your highest level character.

Edit: And it's based upon your highest level character, not active participants.

Jobs, no ranking system, but certain missions do require certain jobs to be successful. Most of them are self explanatory like the math tutor job requires a calculator and the magic jobs require magic classes. There's actually a pretty complete FAQ under the PSX FFT listing.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

This is great, thanks!

I didn't realize this game had the dispatch missions as well. FF:TA featured a sitting/standing/jumping "rating" to illustrate the viability of each dispatch mission. Does this game spell it out for you in a similar fashion?

And on that note, any idea what stats & attributes play into the success rate of a particular mission?

Some missions are affected by faith, brave, and class, but the game completely hides it from you. If you send 3 guys for the max amount of time, you will probably complete almost all of the missions, so you could probably just get by with saving and loading if you dont have the strat guide. Usually if a certain job makes sense for the mission it will help, but not all of them are obvious (ie send a black mage to a magic tourney)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This is great, thanks!

They're not nearly as involved as in FFTA. I've never, ever had one fail, so I'm not sure if there are any requirements or if it's just based on how many people you send and for how long you send them. Most of the rewards are just little easter-egg things like Materia and other references to old games. That or just a bag of Gil. They're more useful for the fact that everyone who participates gets a good amount of JP, about 100-150.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This is great, thanks!

Just the job factors into the success. If you send say 3 white mages on a mission to kill a monster, they'll come back, but you won't get the bonus reward, which is usually just gil. I think you also get more JP if you have the matching job, but don't quote me on that. Either way, they're really lenient on what jobs match with what mission. And usually, you just need one person that's appropriate, the others can be whatever.

Simply put though, don't worry about it. If at the end of each mission they say "I pray all our missions meet with such success", you're getting the full bonus. Just send them out as jobs you want to level up fast, and should you ever get a "bad" result, tweak the jobs a bit.

edit: Once again, owned by slow typing.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    But they had no excuse to rename the skills. Nonewhatsoever. Not that I know of anyway.
    Considering all skills that involve the word "breath" were consistently misspelled as "bracelet", they had to do at least that much. Even then, correcting the Assassin skill "stop bracelet" to "stop breath" would still sound retarded. "Suffocate" conveys the meaning much better.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Secret Hunt?
    Hamedo?
    Repeating Fist?
    Extremely literal translations worthy of Babelfish at best, gibberish at worst.

Deatiled Example: the Ninja skill, "Abandon" is actually an archaic sumo wrestling term for "sudden victory by throwing down the opponent, coming from the wrestler who was in a solid losing position". In English wrestling terms, this is called a 'reversal'.

To use prior professional example, Capcom chose to use "Turnabout" for this term in the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series.

(bonus trivia: It's also part of the Japanese name of that racing kitty from Chrono Trigger's Millennial Fair; "Catalack" is originally "Turnabout-Dinah"/"Reversal-Dinah")

They aren't changing skill names without cause, they're making up for a really bad job the first time.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Is the
    Wiegraf
    fight near the beginning of the game supposed to be so tough?

I've got a monk, black mage, white mage and thief (all level 14) and I'm getting smoked each and every time.

SisterRay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Is the
    Wiegraf
    fight near the beginning of the game supposed to be so tough?

I've got a monk, black mage, white mage and thief (all level 14) and I'm getting smoked each and every time.

Thats one of the famously assrapingly hard fights, especially since you only have access to most of the basic jobs unless you have been seriously grinding (also, most of the gear you can buy at that point is pretty limited).

Short answer: Yes.

Basically, you have to gun for Wiegraf only, since you only have to take him out to win.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Any tips you can provide for job setups? I was going to give it another shot by having a bunch of monks with equip sheild in place, but I'm not sure that will help.

If I can let my black mage focus once or twice I'm sure he'll be able to make a dent, but after 4-5 attempts that's a pretty big if.

Basically, you have to gun for Wiegraf only, since you only have to take him out to win.

SisterRay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Any tips you can provide for job setups? I was going to give it another shot by having a bunch of monks with equip sheild in place, but I'm not sure that will help.

If I can let my black mage focus once or twice I'm sure he'll be able to make a dent, but after 4-5 attempts that's a pretty big if.

Black mages are good (why would you focus with a black mage? Unless you mean another skill, that raises physical attack.) if you have the 2nd level spells. Honestly with a monk at that point in the game, you might be better off with equip armor from a knight to boost their HP vs equip shield. Wiegraf can be kind of hard to hit with physical attacks though. A time mage is really nice if you can haste your fighters with a high % of success. Other than that, basically, if you die, go level so more.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think if I know where he is, he fucking can't just go level up more. He's forced to fight that battle.

Unless he has a previous save.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Black mages are good (why would you focus with a black mage? Unless you mean another skill, that raises physical attack.) if you have the 2nd level spells. Honestly with a monk at that point in the game, you might be better off with equip armor from a knight to boost their HP vs equip shield. Wiegraf can be kind of hard to hit with physical attacks though. A time mage is really nice if you can haste your fighters with a high % of success. Other than that, basically, if you die, go level so more.

Ah, I actually thought Focus affected both physical and magical attacks!

I've since managed to beat him a few times but I always lose someone while doing it. I think I might try the time mage route. I've got all the second level black mage spells and am casting Shell on everyone with my white mage.

I'm just concerned that if I step back and continue leveling, the random encounters will get more difficult due to the limited gear available to me.

All that having been said, I've already spent a solid ten hours on this game and I'm loving it. I suspect I'll be spending a lot more...

SisterRay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh. You'll be spending a lot more if you want to get a Dark Knight.

Fucking Dark Knight.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh. You'll be spending a lot more if you want to get a Dark Knight.

Fucking Dark Knight.

The portability of an RPG is crucial to my making a significant time investment in it. With a family at home I can't get away with spending that amount of time on a console. I will likely try for the Dark Knight / Onion Knight jobs if I can. Final Fantasy III on the DS was the first time I'd ever actually done that (Onion Knights at lvl 99).

SisterRay on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shields are one of the best items you can use in the game, but probably not at the point in the story you've gotten to. Plus, Wiegraf's Sword Techs (like everyone else's) can't be evaded by any means, so they would only protect you from the other jerks.
    Focus won't do anything for Magic, but the Mystic / Oracle / Onmyoji's Faith skill will help.

That's not even the hardest Wiegraf fight. Just remember to save in a different slot when you get into a series of battles, and it asks if you want to save in between. You'll thank me when you get to Wiegraf Assraping 2: Ass Harder.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. Always have two saves because Tactics will fuck you if you have an underleveled party with little experience playing the game.

See: Bullshit assassin fight.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. Always have two saves because Tactics will fuck you if you have an underleveled party with little experience playing the game.

See: Bullshit assassin fight.

The saving grace with the assassin fights are that you only have to reduce one of them to critical status (low hps and they crouch) or you go after their boss and defeat him. If yuo want ultima, then you typically have to endure some pain from them.

Since I spent too much time leveling for dark knight, by the time I got to them, I decided I didn't want ultima and I just stole lots of hps from them very quickly to end the fight. I was never a fan of them.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I was trying to just do a normal runthrough without powerleveling.

But fuck that battle with a regularly leveled party. It's so god damn stupid.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Heh, I really thought Cid would have been massively underleveled when I got him in Act 4, but there he was - just a few levels under Ramza and ready to be a regular member of the party. Cid at 80+ is frightening.

Slagmire on