As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Tactics PSP: It's Out!

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No shit. I'm hoping you've played the PSX version if you're burning levels like that.

But making themes parties is awesome. Awesome. It looks like Pata's [Let's Play!] died for FFT. I guess I could give it a shot either using A) my copy of FFT at home or B) try to steal my friend's PSP and use War of the Lions, which would be cooler.

:( Disgaea and this new shiny version have consumed me.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DividerDivider Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok just got Luso ( totally forgot about this guy!? ) and I really liked the cinematic before you get him. Meh lv. 25 is ok but my team / around 40 / wants to haze him.

Besides him coming with some pretty good equipment and innate poach what is so good about Luso? He looks pretty cool but Luso, Balthier then Beowulf to level up *sigh* what to do?

In other news, yes the Red Dragon gave me the Dragon Whisker ( poached ) / 17 Attack / compared to a Mythril Spear I can buy thats only 10, freaking woootrain!

What is important to have higher as a Samurai? High MA and PA, high faith or brave?
    I always felt the sword techs to be a little low in damage. I love the class but I'd just rather do some good range damage with the sword moves.

Divider on
    Luigi doesn't care about black Lumas! - TehBlueBlur ( 11/16/2007 )
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Divider wrote: »
    Ok just got Luso ( totally forgot about this guy!? ) and I really liked the cinematic before you get him. Meh lv. 25 is ok but my team / around 40 / wants to haze him.

Besides him coming with some pretty good equipment and innate poach what is so good about Luso? He looks pretty cool but Luso, Balthier then Beowulf to level up *sigh* what to do?

Well, why I'm keeping him around is that he's got the same skill set as Ramza's character-specific class (the one that replaces Squire) - so that means Tailwind, Chant, Steel, Shout and Ultima. All of these are great abilities that not only help him, but characters around him (I especially love doing a constant Tailwind, first a couple times on himself, then spreading it around to others when he's getting more and more turns).
    What is important to have higher as a Samurai? High MA and PA, high faith or brave?
    I always felt the sword techs to be a little low in damage. I love the class but I'd just rather do some good range damage with the sword moves.

I thought Brave was the key stat for that class (at least, it is in terms of Blade Grasp).

Slagmire on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Samurai is MA + PA, like Geomancers. I usually lean towards a genji glove or a diamond armlet (the one that offers +1 PA/MA).

I just played through a pretty generic game, and it was too much fun. I made an effort to just go from red dot to red dot and not to level excessively in between, and it was terrific. Ended up with a level 45 Ramza and crew, and it though it was still a cakewalk, it was fun. Lancers with two hands and blade grasp are ridiculous.

I was thinking of doing it again using just Ramza and the monsters he catches, a la pokemon or something. Not sure how to manage the first few battles though. Anybody ever done a legitimate solo ramza run that can give some tips on how to make it to mediator and then beat a battle as a solo mediator/oracle/chemist?

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    Samurai is MA + PA, like Geomancers. I usually lean towards a genji glove or a diamond armlet (the one that offers +1 PA/MA).

I just played through a pretty generic game, and it was too much fun. I made an effort to just go from red dot to red dot and not to level excessively in between, and it was terrific. Ended up with a level 45 Ramza and crew, and it though it was still a cakewalk, it was fun. Lancers with two hands and blade grasp are ridiculous.

I was thinking of doing it again using just Ramza and the monsters he catches, a la pokemon or something. Not sure how to manage the first few battles though. Anybody ever done a legitimate solo ramza run that can give some tips on how to make it to mediator and then beat a battle as a solo mediator/oracle/chemist?

You know who makes a better Orator though: Mustadio. With his Machinist skills complimenting his gun usage in that skill, he can control a good amount of the game by his lonesome (add in the Equip Heavy Armor, Lifefoot or a movement ability that can put a bit of distance between him and his foes, and a reaction ability like Blade Grasp - if you've put that kind of time into him, or Auto-Potion, he could handle a field by himself).

Slagmire on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, but we're already a third of the way through the game by the time we hit Mustadio. I'm talking mandalia plains. How can the fledgeling Ramza defeat two goblins, a chocobo and a panther right as a chemist/mediator/oracle/white mage? I forget the sequence that leads to mediator. Is it 2 chemist--> 2 white mage-->2 oracle-->Mediator?

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Slagmire wrote: »
    I really would prefer the damn War of the Lions for a Let's Play since the translation is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

PSP Slim + Component Out Cable + Component In Video Card = $Texas?

I can't afford that.

Unless someone wants to get that for me for Christmas. :winky:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Slagmire wrote: »

You know who makes a better Orator though: Mustadio. With his Machinist skills complimenting his gun usage in that skill, he can control a good amount of the game by his lonesome (add in the Equip Heavy Armor, Lifefoot or a movement ability that can put a bit of distance between him and his foes, and a reaction ability like Blade Grasp - if you've put that kind of time into him, or Auto-Potion, he could handle a field by himself).

Very true, his abilities are pretty useful. I love gunners ( chemists & orators ) so I was thinking about buffing up Mustadio and Balthier and later making a very bloodthirsty wild west team. Of course this will be after I steal those great elemental guns and the infamous stone gun.

I guess Ramza will make the best Samurai since his stats are tits. Too bad he doesn't don a different look.

Divider on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Balthier is fucking lethal as a dual-wielding knight.

Lethal.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Does his Barrage ability work for swords and such? That would be fucking nuts. It'd bring back fond, fond memories of FFV.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It fucking does.

It fucking does.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the Stone Gun?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It fucking does.

It fucking does.
    Jesus. It is FFV all over again. And he gets 8 hits total with dual wield?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Two quick questions:

I'm about to go lionel castle on my lunch break... no access to game faqs, got half an hour till then... Ramza needs to be squired out to learn ultima right? Is it the assasin chicks or the monsters that cast it? How do I get the bloody things to use it on me?

Aaaaand... How do I get Balthier in here?

Oh... three questions I guess. As far as new content goes, balthier and luso are the only new PSP exclusive characters right?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes, Ramza must be a squire to learn Ultima. The Chicks and the ultima monsters can cast it, but the chicks have a higher chance. You can increase this chance by equipping everyone with Death and Stop protection. (Black tunics or whatever they're called will nullify stop, and there is an accesory that nullifies death. Angel ring I believe) It is expensive, but is one of the best ways to get them to use it on you. There is still a good chance they'll use Confuse on Ramza instead, but at least he won't be stopped or dead.

Yes, Balthier and Luso are the only new characters.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What's the Stone Gun?

A pretty badass gun you steal from a group of chemists and orators in a certain random battle area, forgot the name. Anyways when you equip it you start the battle stoned O_o and there isn't a way to not start the battle otherwise.
    So at least one person in your team has to use a Gold Needle or something to cure you before you can act....good part is anything you shoot gets petrified, I think. Besides that its a very strong gun.

Divider on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the Stone Gun?

A pretty badass gun you steal from a group of chemists and orators in a certain random battle area, forgot the name.
    It's at Mount Germinas. Also, poaching a Dark Behemoth can net one.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'm just into chapter 2 now. I didn't do much in the way of grinding in chapter 1. I've basically just been messing around with some of the classes. I have ramza as a knight, a BM, a WM, an archer, just made a monk. For now I've just been running back and forth and doing some random battles to level stuff up. Is there a really efficient way to do this? I assume you get JP from using the abillities of that class so for example my BM has black magic + time magic so when i use fira, it gets JP for BM and when i use haste I get JP for time?

I've also started sending some of my lesser used chars on the errands (only have had 1 pop up so far to do).

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    So I'm just into chapter 2 now. I didn't do much in the way of grinding in chapter 1. I've basically just been messing around with some of the classes. I have ramza as a knight, a BM, a WM, an archer, just made a monk. For now I've just been running back and forth and doing some random battles to level stuff up. Is there a really efficient way to do this? I assume you get JP from using the abillities of that class so for example my BM has black magic + time magic so when i use fira, it gets JP for BM and when i use haste I get JP for time?

I've also started sending some of my lesser used chars on the errands (only have had 1 pop up so far to do).

You gain JP for whatever you main class is. If you're a monk, but you use a potion, you still gain monk JP. If you want to speed up your JP gain, set yourself up with the Gained JP Up support skill from the Squire job. That'll increase your JP gain pretty good.

If you want to gain JP quickly (somewhat, anyway), have your team gather in a cross, throwing rocks at each other, with a monk in the middle. The monk uses Chakra to heal everyone. Repeat. A lot. :)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You gain JP for whatever you main class is. If you're a monk, but you use a potion, you still gain monk JP. If you want to speed up your JP gain, set yourself up with the Gained JP Up support skill from the Squire job. That'll increase your JP gain pretty good.

If you want to gain JP quickly (somewhat, anyway), have your team gather in a cross, throwing rocks at each other, with a monk in the middle. The monk uses Chakra to heal everyone. Repeat. A lot. :)

IMO throwing a rock and the subsequent "I'm hit!" animation take too long for serious grinding. It's only seconds, but those seconds add up exponentially the longer you grind. And since you're all claiming EXP that way anyway, you might as well just use Focus, which does not lag at all. My point being that there is no real benefit to using stones and Chakra over just spamming Focus which you can do without even selecting a target. Besides, if you're using Stone, you already have Fundaments/Mettle equipped. Might as well just go with what's quickest.

I usually kill everything but a goblin on Mandalia Plains, then Power Rend and Speed Rend the goblin with someone, and then Focus spam with everyone else. Of course, that means that one person has to have Arts of War equipped instead of Fundaments.

Just my two cents.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the Stone Gun?

A pretty badass gun you steal from a group of chemists and orators in a certain random battle area, forgot the name. Anyways when you equip it you start the battle stoned O_o and there isn't a way to not start the battle otherwise.
    So at least one person in your team has to use a Gold Needle or something to cure you before you can act....good part is anything you shoot gets petrified, I think. Besides that its a very strong gun.

I'm pretty sure you can use the chemist's equip change to equip it without being petrified. Not that it's necessarily a better option...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I got KAI working.

Anyone want to do some Melee or Rendezvous?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also your guys will gain JP in a job class that they currently aren't, if you have another member of your team with that job. BUT, I think they need to have that job available.

For example, Ramza -> Knight, Brian -> Chemist. Assuming both have those two jobs available, each will gain JP in each. Although the amount they gain in the other class is low. I dont know what kind of formula this is based on but I am pretty sure I am not talking out of my ass here.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Also your guys will gain JP in a job class that they currently aren't, if you have another member of your team with that job. BUT, I think they need to have that job available.

For example, Ramza -> Knight, Brian -> Chemist. Assuming both have those two jobs available, each will gain JP in each. Although the amount they gain in the other class is low. I dont know what kind of formula this is based on but I am pretty sure I am not talking out of my ass here.

They don't need to have that job available. They'll still gain the JP, they just won't be able to use it until they unlock that class.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    theclam wrote: »

They don't need to have that job available. They'll still gain the JP, they just won't be able to use it until they unlock that class.

Nice

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »

IMO throwing a rock and the subsequent "I'm hit!" animation take too long for serious grinding. It's only seconds, but those seconds add up exponentially the longer you grind. And since you're all claiming EXP that way anyway, you might as well just use Focus, which does not lag at all. My point being that there is no real benefit to using stones and Chakra over just spamming Focus which you can do without even selecting a target. Besides, if you're using Stone, you already have Fundaments/Mettle equipped. Might as well just go with what's quickest.

I usually kill everything but a goblin on Mandalia Plains, then Power Rend and Speed Rend the goblin with someone, and then Focus spam with everyone else. Of course, that means that one person has to have Arts of War equipped instead of Fundaments.

Just my two cents.

I've found that Focus gets me about 19-21 JP, while throw rock gets me around 28-29. It's quicker, or at least the numbers look nicer.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

All my info is for the PSX version.

When a character gains JP, all other characters receive 1/4 of that JP value; ie, if Ramza gains 24 JP as a squire, all other characters gain 6 squire JP. If the character has Gained JP Up as an equipped ability, then the gain is reduced to 1/6 (to offset the increased JP due to the Gained JP Up skill).

What is the barrage ability?

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Barrage is one of Balthier's job traits. Hits 4 times for reduced damage each hit, but much higher overall.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Just my two cents.

I've found that Focus gets me about 19-21 JP, while throw rock gets me around 28-29. It's quicker, or at least the numbers look nicer.

Are you sure you've tested both abilities at the same level? JP gains shouldn't be variable depending on what ability you use, it should be a constant as long as you gain the JP.

Also, as you gain both EXP levels and job levels, the amount of JP you gain goes up. For example, a level 99 character with jp boost at level 8 job gains 72 JP per action, whereas a level 1 character at a level 1 job gains what, 10-12 jp per action I think?

Ardor on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm always amazed that, no matter how many times I've run through this game, I always barely scrape past the Gallows level. I was gnashing my teeth and mumbling to myself on the bus into work this morning; good thing no one was sitting next to me.

I don't nearly have the tactics and party strategies of you guys, but I have finished the original game a few times, so this time I'm actually going to bench Orlandu when he comes on board and fool around with some new party strategies. I built an Arithmetitian for the first time ever, and holy crap is he ever slow. I'm assuming it's best to haste the crap out of him or just send him out on jobs?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got the guide in the mail and OH MY GOD they use "casted" instead of "cast". Is this a local colloquialism or something? It drives me up the fucking wall.

Also, there's False Onion Knights and True Onion Knights. I didn't know that. True Onion Knights are just too stupid for all the work you need to get them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I'm always amazed that, no matter how many times I've run through this game, I always barely scrape past the Gallows level. I was gnashing my teeth and mumbling to myself on the bus into work this morning; good thing no one was sitting next to me.

I don't nearly have the tactics and party strategies of you guys, but I have finished the original game a few times, so this time I'm actually going to bench Orlandu when he comes on board and fool around with some new party strategies. I built an Arithmetitian for the first time ever, and holy crap is he ever slow. I'm assuming it's best to haste the crap out of him or just send him out on jobs?

I tried to use dance/sing abilities when working on the arithmeticians since those abilites auto-refresha nd keep going. (Example: If your character has 5 speed and you use a 11 speed song/dance, the song/dance will go twice for each turn your character gets, giving you twice the jp/exp gains.)

Otherwise, doing jobs to gain JP works well and it can also help if you use the +1 speed ability Ramza has on whoever this character is.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    On the topic of grind, I've been trying to get Mustadio and Luso up to my team average level which is about 42 right now.

My usual setup for my team is:

Ramza - Squire
    Arts of War
    Dual Wield

Celes - Time Mage
    Speechcraft
    JP Boost
    Manafront

Rinoa - whatever you want to level up / using Samurai atm.

Mustadio - Chemist
    Aim Shot (?)
    JP Boost

Luso - Knight
    Huntercraft
    JP Boost

Two people having the ability to raise Speed permantly in battle. Ramza having the ability to break stats twice. A Time Mage/Orator for haste, slow, stop and of course to raise brave and faith to characters. I usually have Mustadio shoot his own people, mainly Rinoa since I have Auto Potion on her. Luso justs tailwinds himself or Mustadio on top of that.

Luso seems very strong even at level 34, does he develop like Ramza?

Divider on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Luso = Ramza.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Just my two cents.

As Ardor explained, all actions provide the same amount of JP. The amount of JP you get is based on a formula involving only the following factors (I don't know the exact formula, but...):

- Your character level
    - Your job level
    - Whether or not you have JP Boost equipped

That's it. So if your character is currently level 45 and his/her main job is "Orator" which is currently at level 5, you will gain the same amount of JP regardless of what your action is, be it a simple attack, an Orator skill, throwing a stone, using Focus, casting a summon, using Arithmeticks, and so on.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Note that the amount of EXP you gain from an action is also irrespective of the type of action. The amount of EXP you gain depends only on your level relative to your target's level. So actions that target yourself will always confer 10 EXP (unless you have EXP Boost equipped). I believe this is an exponential formula and thus there may also be differences depending on what levels there are. So a level 10 character targeting a level 20 character may get more EXP per action than a level 60 character targeting a level 70 character...I'm not positive. But a level 60 targeting a level 60 gains 10 EXP just as a level 10 targeting a level 10 character gains 10 EXP.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh God. I'm never using a calculator again on the PSP.

Holying everything takes forever. D:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I don't think I'll be running a Calculator this time around. Summons and Dancing is more of my cup of tea....... until I build my Wild West setup. :P

Chocobos and guys with guns / woohoooo.

Divider on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't know I'd get xp for attacks against my own party members too.

I spent a while last night with 1 goblin guy left on the field and just kept having my chars beat each other up + beat up and heal the goblin that was left. That is a far better way to grind than doing a new battle each time :P

Weretaco on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also i need to switch some jobs around I think so I can get JP boost on everyone so I can master some jobs quicker.

Weretaco on