As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lady of the Horde

eliseu gouveiaeliseu gouveia Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Change of plans:

Sorry, guys, but I´ve decided to not do that 6-pager I had planned.

For those of you familiar with Silversparrow and that crazy "make a comic in 24 hours" Airla story, this is more of the same "make-the-story-up-as-I-go" madness. Let´s hope my Muse takes me to not too horrible places.

Story´s premise is losely based on a story I did way back in 96 called "Arcane Avatar", but that´s where the similarities end.
Okay, enough yappig, buckle up yer seatbelts, cross your fingers and let´s go:

<<<<<LADY OF THE HORDE>>>>>

IMAGE_4716b0ccb3f95.jpg

IMAGE_4716b1c104073.jpg

eliseu gouveia on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I am confused and amused.

MKR on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I enjoy comics with Victorian ladies and possibly bisexual overtones. Please continue.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks a lot, guys.
    No idea of where I´m taking this yet but those are not victorian ladies.
    ´
    Nadra´s wearing a sunday dress, I just got waaay carried away. :D

I am gonna try to stay away from the spandex action since I´ve already done Silversparrow and Airla.

Magic is the way to go, I think....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    On the very last posted frame, you should lasso that mouth and conduct a counter clockwise rotation and warp it accordingly till it matches the angled perception on her face. This will also help with her supposed look of laughter and replace with with appropriate distress. Right now she looks creepy. On that note, add some shading beneath the hat. Personally, some hard shading, especially around the eyes or nose, angled appropriately for the source of lighting, will do wonders with what you got.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Am I detecting Picnic at Hanging Rock influences?

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hi, Mykonos! Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate them. I have to confess I´m not seeing that thing with the askewed mouth, though. Could you post a pic illustrating it? I´d really appreciate it, this is a work in progress after all, so the more mistakes you guys spot, the better.

Hey, Zsetrek! I´ve gotta confess I´ve never heard of that work, is it a book? Comic? Film?................. anime?

IMAGE_47180d1c9d77e.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    correcting_friends_work_by_AdventDawn.jpg

Altough I essentially ended up painting over most the lips, the brunt of what I did consisted of repositioning the angle of the mouth and using the lasso tool - then right-click warp so I can manually wrap the mouth around the skull. [all that redundant advice about studying anatomy actually does pays off] After that a I covered up parts of the teeth with black so they could fade appropriatly with the given angle. Really the biggest problem I found was a lack of parallelism horizontily along the face, so it was difficult in obtaining a desired look. The rest of the markings was my own personal taste and just fun. Honestly, drawing faces in general from that angle is hard as hell.

Edit: forgot to mention, With regards to other the changes I made, the first was a slanting in the brows, to give her a more frantic look. I felt you gave her too much of an ambiguous expression on her face, and so I made that personal adjustment to give her a bit more character in that panel. Shading, though, is what greatly enhances the effect of expressions and other emotional or physical details, which is why I highly recommend you at least include some light strokes, primarily along the brow lines and mouth and cheek areas.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, Zsetrek! I´ve gotta confess I´ve never heard of that work, is it a book? Comic? Film?................. anime?

Film/book.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, Mykonos, thanks for the pic and the pointers, I think you build a very solid case there. I´ll take a looksie into that pic once I am able to sit down :)

Hey, Zsetrek, thanks for the link, that seems really cool. For some reason, its synopsis made me think of Sting´s "Tea in the Sahara". I´ve always associated it to Saint Exupery (sp) but now I may have found yet another possible connection...

IMAGE_471ae7ffe3af0.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah no problem. Angles that those, although my favorite, are a real pain to pull off, but nonetheless are great for pulling off a dramatic effect. Anyways, other than that, you have some solid work. In fact, why don't you give ME some advice on how your able to churn out those pretty good backgrounds?

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thanks, Mykonos, but there´s really nothing to my backgrounds, just basic 3-point perspective. That 1st pannel has a couple proportion mishaps but with the rush t upload the page I cut some corners.....

IMAGE_471c341157a76.jpg

Boy, Nadra really felt into hard times.....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i actually think the mouth on the first page looks good. i assumed it to be intentionally smiling, as if she thought her friend were playfully hiding from her.

EDIT: I also prefer the shot without the shading, the very clean lines gives the impression of very fair, well-lit and innocent skin. it works very well.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The latest page is resized improperly, rendering the text impossible to read.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, guys, thanks a lot for the posts, comments and pointers, I reallyappreciate them.

I´ve re-uploaded the new page, hope it´s more readable now... :)

Aaaaaaand........

I think I may have found a direction for this story.
    It was when I was uploadin g it to comicspace and I had to cook up a phrase to sum up the story (which I don´t have yet :D:D ):

I came up with
    "Once we were gods".

So, I have a general direction. Now it´s up to coming up with "what´s the story about?"
    Superheroes? Magic and Mystery?

Any ideas?

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    IMAGE_471ed0c873930.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow eliseu gouveia, I'm really hypnotised by your perfectly clean art. I like the perspective of the street.

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, Vrempire, thanks.
    My favorite part about that pannel are the hookers. ^_^

IMAGE_4720442fe5439.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think I finally know what direction I want to steer this thing. ^_^

IMAGE_4722c68cba87a.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    some great stuff here, love the dramatic perspectives and the clean lines..

and as always the best part of threads like this is the powerful sense of self deficiency that follows me after viewing these images

Axim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thank you, Axim, you´re too kind. :)

IMAGE_4727e4e1ca626.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    where do i buy it and when
    thats all i need to know

mully on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOL
    Thanks, Mully, you´re too kind.

There´s no buying, Lady of the Horde is a free webcomic I´m making up as I go, one page at a time, posting whenever I get an opening.

The bad news is that there´s no guarantee that the story will be any good in the end since I don´t have a script, I draw whatever I feel like drawing with only one rule in mind:

Each page has to be consistent with the previous one.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    IMAGE_472d34eb44367.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    oh, this is lovely. i al really liking how it is going. wonderful lineart and contrast.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, Belruel, I´m glad you like it :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    i'm liking the stuff you've been posting. keep the good work.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Color me impressed!

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thank you, Mykonos! :)

Thank you, Devnoimag! :)

Sorry for being away for so long, time to get back and see what Nadra´s been up to. :)

IMAGE_4739f4841320f.jpg

So, anyone figured out what´s Nadra´s trauma yet?

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    AbandonAbandon Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    No, but I really love the style. Please keep it up, I need something to distract me during long breaks in college ;-)

Abandon on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, Abandon.

Sorry for disappearing from this thread, been unbelievably busy these last few weeks... :(

IMAGE_4748b7c10b22b.jpg

IMAGE_4748b7eb8e2a5.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    IMAGE_474f4dab4fd96.jpg

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    That one's a fair share bit stretched/pixelated.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dayum, I knew this new format would be trouble.

I´ve uploaded the page with a new size, could you refresh the page and lemme know if it works?

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Perfect now.
    This stuff is getting really creepy :D

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Coolness.
    Thanks, Mayday.
    I think the browser software probably stretches the page to be 800 pixels high.

Creepy"? That´s what I´m going for! :D
    "

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So she takes other people's nightmares/anxiety and hurls it at things?

Cool.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, I dig the art, but I'm fairly confused. Maybe some of it will clear up later, but why did she go into her "friends" house and then suddenly there's people beating him up? Between some of the pages I'm not sure what the transition is. Perhaps it will make more sense over time. You're doing really well the with creepy monster things though.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm impressed by your how clean and fluid you are able to weave iniquities details and complex events in such a consistent manner. Although I haven't read the text, there seems to be a solid plot going on that with enough development may go somewhere interesting. I'm gonna make an assumption that you have, or plan to have, a webcomic running, and If am correct on that assumption I will say that you should strive heavily to improve both your writing and general artwork and shoot for print and distribution.

Your stuff currently isn't on that level of professionalism and quality, but you seem to have a ton of potential and your far from peaking.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm fairly sure Eliseu's already had work printed and distributed. :P

I agree with srsizzy that I get a little confused at the same points. However, the art is awesome as usual and I'm definitely intrigued. :)

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    yeah but i'm talking about getting picked up by vertigo or something

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]