Options

Hellgate†London: It's out. Why aren't you playing it?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've gotten to the second Station. The questing reminds me a lot of Vampire, but with far more bearable load times(funny about that).

Also, killed my first Rare monster and got an item my Evoker couldn't even use. Figures.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For those who want their fix between server downtimes, Patch 0 for singleplayer is apparently available.

Doronron on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Doronron wrote: »
    For those who want their fix between server downtimes, Patch 0 for singleplayer is apparently available.

Sweet, can't wait to be back home on sunday to play then. I have to say this about the game, random maps adds a lot to the fun.

Handkor on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want to play this game with fun people, is there a PA group guild thingy?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    MadroxMadrox NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm interested in playing with some folks...

Name's Bolt on the default US server.

13 Guardian.

I actually have a question...
    How the hell do you get past the quest when you have to lead the Fist to victory via that top-down RTS type of dealie? I just cannot get past it for the life of me.

Madrox on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Madrox wrote: »

13 Guardian.

How the hell do you get past the quest when you have to lead the Fist to victory via that top-down RTS type of dealie? I just cannot get past it for the life of me.
    I got wasted the first few times I tried that as well. I finally got past it by abusing the hell out of the airstrikes. I'd send my guys to the start of the level, then click all the way over to the big group as quick as i could, drop an airstrike, then click all the way back the start. After doing that 4-5 times I saw a portal open by the group that said 'portal to safety'. I bolted my crew towards it and it completed the quest.

Ya... that part sucks. When it first started I thought 'this looks cool!' That impression lasted a whole 20 seconds...

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Doronron wrote: »

Yeah, I patched it and the performance has been improved. I have two issues though. The little text log for completing quests has now been shoved into the chat log, so it doesn't show up automatically, and the little minigame icons have vanished. I am at the moment seeking solutions.

These things have not stopped me from playing the game. I haven't figured out if this is a bad thing or not.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    my char, Buhamut, needs an invite to any PA guilds. :D

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hrmm... I can buy this online directly from EA... Whats the deal for playing with PA peeps online?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My engineer, Cackle, needs an invite too.

Do it before I go play TF2!

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you need an invite you have to catch Devoir in Vent.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Ok, 5 stat points/level * 49 levels gives you 245 stat points. Each stat point in will gives you 2 power points. Giving you a total of 490 power (+whatever you start with) at 50.

Maxing out force elem will cost you 740. Maxing elem mastery brings this down to a manageable 370. I can add, say, 4 fire elem and 2 spectral. If I don't spend any points on any other stats. *grr* Maybe I'll just delete my summoner now before I sink any more time into it.

You do know that almost every quest gives you a stat point as well?

devoir on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    im only a couple zombot bloods short of being able to make a zombot of my own.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    A-Puck wrote: »
    Ok, 5 stat points/level * 49 levels gives you 245 stat points. Each stat point in will gives you 2 power points. Giving you a total of 490 power (+whatever you start with) at 50.

Maxing out force elem will cost you 740. Maxing elem mastery brings this down to a manageable 370. I can add, say, 4 fire elem and 2 spectral. If I don't spend any points on any other stats. *grr* Maybe I'll just delete my summoner now before I sink any more time into it.

You do know that almost every quest gives you a stat point as well?

Is that why I keep getting extra ones? I thought I just kept missing them or something.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games pretty fun, but how do the Weapon damages on the weapon compare to each other. For instance, if I have a 100 dps Very Slow weapon, is it the same DPS as a Very Fast 100 dps weapon? Also, for matched blades, if I have a slow and normal, do I swing at slow speed (I think thats whats happening).

Crafted a badass 100dps weapon for my Blademaster, then found a unique sword which I upgraded (it turned it from normal to very slow, but added 30 damage :/). I am so badass.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    SkavengerSkavenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Madrox wrote: »

13 Guardian.

I got wasted the first few times I tried that as well. I finally got past it by abusing the hell out of the airstrikes. I'd send my guys to the start of the level, then click all the way over to the big group as quick as i could, drop an airstrike, then click all the way back the start. After doing that 4-5 times I saw a portal open by the group that said 'portal to safety'. I bolted my crew towards it and it completed the quest.

Ya... that part sucks. When it first started I thought 'this looks cool!' That impression lasted a whole 20 seconds...

Another method that work really well
    Using the take cover command (number 2 or something?) (it looks like a little wall, haha) puts all your members into tactical stance, and with this they can fire from outside aggro range of the big boss. With some careful running away if he gets too close, and liberal use of airstrikes he went down surprisingly fast, then it's just a matter of running to the portal.

...granted it took me a couple tries to figure this out but once i did saved a lot of trying to zerg him to death

Skavenger on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games pretty fun, but how do the Weapon damages on the weapon compare to each other. For instance, if I have a 100 dps Very Slow weapon, is it the same DPS as a Very Fast 100 dps weapon? Also, for matched blades, if I have a slow and normal, do I swing at slow speed (I think thats whats happening).

Crafted a badass 100dps weapon for my Blademaster, then found a unique sword which I upgraded (it turned it from normal to very slow, but added 30 damage :/). I am so badass.
    This is just a hunch, but I think that number you read is average damage per strike, not per second. So, 100 damage per strike with a very slow weapon is much worse than 100 damage per strike with a very fast weapon.

That's how it worked in D2, anyway. Except you simply read the range of damage instead of the average.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The big number you see when you mouse over a weapon has nothing to do at all with its damage, it's just a general power rating. To see the actual damage range of a weapon, right click and hit examine.

Edit: I should add that there's no in-game method of finding your DPS, average damage per strike, adjusted damage from mods/strength, or any of that stuff.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So... I bought the game, I enjoy it, having fun, has the D2 feel, etc... but ...

Anyone know if the environments ever get... interesting? Is this entire game just the exact same looking london streets mixed with a portal in the zone that goes to the same little weird area with some monsters?

That'd get kinda boring I'd think... I just got done with Picabilly Circus or whatever it was.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ive seen screens of forest/graveyards, museums, hell-ish, maybe some others. Crypts?

Nothing as drastically varying as say D2 Act1-Act2 were, but different enough.

Also I dunno if this was scrapped, but some time ago in an interview Roper stated that London was just the first in hopefully a series of cities and other areas in the "hellgate" universe.

Soo....xpack. :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Karrmer wrote: »
    So... I bought the game, I enjoy it, having fun, has the D2 feel, etc... but ...

Anyone know if the environments ever get... interesting? Is this entire game just the exact same looking london streets mixed with a portal in the zone that goes to the same little weird area with some monsters?

That'd get kinda boring I'd think... I just got done with Picabilly Circus or whatever it was.

Yeah, there's some other environments. In Act 4 they introduce a new tileset that's very reminiscent of the Jail levels at the end of Act I in D2, only less dark.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So it looks like the subscription page is back up. I just subscribed to Founder's Club. Now I can't wait for the Guy Fawkes Day event.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was thinking about this, but I don't want to put up with a subscription. =\

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So, are characters server bound, or account bound?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been playing as a summoner, up to level 12 now and its been fun. A few comments though...

i) Elementals have no health, this is fine, however it means that the witch doctor is totally useless. He cant keep elementals alive, and he cant heal you. I put a point into him thinking he could buff my carnagor, but you cant have him and the carnagor at the same time. Since you effectively must have a tank to protect your elementals (and yourself) only put points in the Carnagor, since he has AoE taunt and self heal.

ii) Particle effects destroy FPS, the game desperately needs a "basic particle effects only" option

iii)The humor is funny, but seems a bit out of place since its so ubiquitous. The game would have been much more atmospheric if they had used it sparingly, and tried to build some atmosphere with the voice acting and quest text.

iv) The carnagor cannot move while taunting, so use enrage to have him charge, then taunt once he is in the middle of everyone.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    So it looks like the subscription page is back up. I just subscribed to Founder's Club. Now I can't wait for the Guy Fawkes Day event.

Says subscribing is unavailable for me :(

Anyway, if there's a PA guild please invite PassiveFist.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like their subscribing process is still royally pooched. There's more than a few folks who are trying to subscribe and keep getting an error with the resulting transaction charging $0.99 to their credit card instead of the appropriate amount.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I broke down and ordered the game from EA (30 mins or so left on the download now). Details on this kind of stuff would be nice, the OP hasn't been updated in a while on the sub options.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got around to installing this tonight (busy week) and oddly enough even though dx9 mode ran fine in the beta the release version hard locks at the first loading screen, like right after I click login, dx10 on the other hand works like a charm..odd considering all the problems i've heard about dx10 mode

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

I broke down and ordered the game from EA (30 mins or so left on the download now). Details on this kind of stuff would be nice, the OP hasn't been updated in a while on the sub options.

EA Downloader? Ouch, man. Everyone I've talked to who has done it that way has found that the key they're given doesn't work to register the game. When contacting EA, they basically said, "I dunno', sorry!" I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, but still... Good luck.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

EA Downloader? Ouch, man. Everyone I've talked to who has done it that way has found that the key they're given doesn't work to register the game. When contacting EA, they basically said, "I dunno', sorry!" I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, but still... Good luck.

Heh, well the hellgate london website accepted the key to create an account there, so we will see. If it doesn't work, I'll at least get some entertainment raising a shitstorm with customer service over the weekend.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    skullieskullie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd love to be playing this game with you guys, but I think the copy protection is keeping the disc from working on my computer.. It just doesn't recognize there's a disc in there at all. There's a thread on their forums about it, but FSS hasn't responded yet.

Now I know what Tycho goes through all the time when he's furious about copy protection. Does anyone know anything I can do to get around this? I'm installing it off a networked drive, which is taking like 5 hours, but I suspect I'll need the CD in the drive to play the game, right?

skullie on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    skullie wrote: »
    I'd love to be playing this game with you guys, but I think the copy protection is keeping the disc from working on my computer.. It just doesn't recognize there's a disc in there at all. There's a thread on their forums about it, but FSS hasn't responded yet.

Now I know what Tycho goes through all the time when he's furious about copy protection. Does anyone know anything I can do to get around this? I'm installing it off a networked drive, which is taking like 5 hours, but I suspect I'll need the CD in the drive to play the game, right?

Very likely.

One of the things that I really like about steam/digital download games in general is the fact that I don't have to hang on to a damn CD (with the associated protection issues).

Also, I seem to have had no problems with the product key for the install from EA's digital download. yay!

LockeCole on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    skullie wrote: »

Very likely.

One of the things that I really like about steam/digital download games in general is the fact that I don't have to hang on to a damn CD (with the associated protection issues).

Also, I seem to have had no problems with the product key for the install from EA's digital download. yay!
    you need the DVD in for single player, but not multiplayer

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If anyone cares, that german code thing back on page 70ish still works. Just did it.

As the game crashed. :(

EDIT: Man, WTF, the game does not want me to go back to Holborne Station or something. ><

EDIT2: Also anyone who complains (I know, no one here is, just saying, been hearing it elsewhere) about the in-game "ads" should be stabbed in the mouth.

Seriously, 99% of the time you don't even notice them. And the 1% of the time you do notice them they're slid in so well, look so in-place, and add to the ambiance of the game.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woo! Finally got my copy.. currently defragging my HD before I install it.

My account is flagged for

Alpha Tester
    Beta Tester
    Collector's Edition Registration Key
    Eligible for Founder's Offer
    PC Gamer Coco Moko Pet
    Lava Dye Kit
    Wasp Dye Kit

Although the Alpha Tester bit is kind of a lie.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Been playing mplayer a couple days now, and it's a lot of fun.
    Cabalist weapons just make me smile, I love the flamethrowers especially.
    I made a post on the HG:L boards for the Arcadian signups, feel free to slap "Zhenya" with an invite someday.

I only have 2 major complaints:

1. Memory Leak.
    God fucking damn this problem, I hate seeing the dreaded "memory is exhausted, this application will now close" windows message after about 90 min of play.
    Always happens during a story quest or during a fight with a rare.
    I really, really, hope this gets fixed soon.

2. Chat window ON/OFF.
    The chat window needs a fade setting, and the ability to resize.
    As it is now, even at 1920x1200 resolution, the goddam thing covers my "quest rewards" window when i'm talking to an NPC, and it takes up way too much screen real estate during combat.
    I also LOATHE the fact that it sometimes takes priority over your in-game movements, during combat sometimes i'll suddenly stop moving, and then notice my chat entry area says wwaasdssswwwwwwwddasd.
    For god's sake, even Everquest has had resizable/fading chat windows for how many years now?
    A cumbersome chat system in a mplayer game of this much hype is unacceptable.
    I hope this gets revised right after the memory leak is fixed.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    aside from the UI this game seems pretty solid

but honestly how is the UI that bad

friggin' 1680x1050 and I can't scale anything down D:

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »
    aside from the UI this game seems pretty solid

but honestly how is the UI that bad

friggin' 1680x1050 and I can't scale anything down D:
    Poor design choices.

JAEF on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Woo! Finally got my copy.. currently defragging my HD before I install it.

My account is flagged for

Alpha Tester
    Beta Tester
    Collector's Edition Registration Key
    Eligible for Founder's Offer
    PC Gamer Coco Moko Pet
    Lava Dye Kit
    Wasp Dye Kit

Although the Alpha Tester bit is kind of a lie.

Mine is:

Beta
    CE
    Founder's
    Lifetime Sub
    Coco Moko
    Biohazard
    Lava
    Wasp
    Royal

Neat stuff. Interested in seeing what other badged are developed as this thing evolves.

Doronron on
This discussion has been closed.