As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm still going to check my local k-mart in a bit. I'm holding out hope that the sales lady didn't hear me correctly or didn't check thoroughly enough. If not, I guess I'll have to wait another 11 days.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Wow. We all knew this, but damn, you really can spend hours creating your character's look in Mass Effect. I think I will go with the standard Shepard, though.

Before I get to far into the game, what's the deal with Shepherd vs. creating your own character? I know he's a standard soldier but you can make characters that rely on stealth, etc... Does that change the story at all or just the way you interact with certain parts of the game?

There should be differences depending on gender, perhaps depending on class.

But, as someone said before. It isn't "Shepard vs. Creating a character". "Shepard" is whoever you make him or her. If you make a female Sentinel, Shepard is a female Sentinel.

OK, I guess that means that the soldier is sort of the "vanilla" class.

I think I'll personalize it a bit more. However, I can't tonight as I'm off to soundcheck a buddies band.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've called 1 Kmart, 1 Fred Meyer, and 3 WalMarts. I'm on to Targets now...

Houn on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To the people who get the game early: Please state where you got it. State, City, Store, etc.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    To the people who get the game early: Please state where you got it. State, City, Store, etc.

I'll do so... after I pick up my copy! :D

Or not. No luck at target. Who else carries 360 games? Hmm...

Houn on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Rodent242 wrote: »
    MisterGrok wrote: »
    I heard you could pause during combat and direct your squadmates then. It might pay off to hop on game trailers and watch the combat videos they have if you can't figure it out.

Far as I know that was removed a while back and replaced with using the digital pad to direct teammembers towards or back from a certain spot, so basicly something like GRAW I guess?

Where did you hear that? There are some pretty recent videos with the radial squad control interface in them.

Video of D-pad usage here. Whoever's speaking in that video mentions directing the party with the d-pad ( even takes him a few tries to get it working. ).

As for where I heard that they removed the little "i" to direct party memebers was from Chris Priestly over at Biowares Mass Effect forums, there's a thread talking about it here.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I called one K-Mart in CT and they didn't have it. I am almost tempted to drive around to a few stores but I know they won't have it.

Initially I was on the fence about Mass Effect, but after seeing videos of it and reading up on it I may have to buy it. Infact, I know I will.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've decided not to waste my time drving to the store. I called and they said they didn't have it, unlike the other one I called in springfield who said they had it, I called my local gamestop and they said they'll have the game on the 20th, and AC is almost out anyway, so I'll be patient. I'm still envious of you guys though.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Alright, I yield. Seattle's too tech-savvy a town, I guess. No one's got it on the shelves, yet.

That said, if anyone in the Seattle area finds some copies, I'd be eternally grateful for the info. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    The only Kmart in Tucson do not have it but will be happy to sell you a copy of Raw vs. Smackdown 2008 /facepalm.

SoulFury on
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Called ours in Tulsa and they did not have it. Strangely enough, they DID have Math Effect in, however.

etoychest on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    People, people. Buy many copies and put them on ebay. I will buy it at a high price.

merch.gif

Shurakai on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not even going to try the Wal-Mart here. I was going to pick up Lego SW: Complete Trilogy yesterday and they didn't even have that yet.

I need to stop by the one close to where I work tomorrow for Pop Tarts anyway, I'll hop over to the electronics section to take a look there. Not very hopeful, though.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Awesome. My local Gamestop, whom I preordered through, just told me that they won't have it until the 21st. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just can't believe I'm playing it. It feels kind of strange, you know?

Anyways, you guys won't be disappointed. It's one of the most well presented, written, and cinematic game I've played in a long time.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Requesting all people that have it post where they found it: City, State, Store. Thanks!

Houn on
  • Options
    anjinfobanjinfob Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OK protip to all those still looking: I called and they had it, but the lady said it wasn't scanning or something. However, I'm a stubborn bastard so I went anyway. When I got there, the dude said the manager, after having been alerted to the fact that it was stocked by some idiot who called in, had pulled it and was not selling it anymore. So maybe you should just go without calling - I would have gotten it otherwise for sure.

anjinfob on
    Anjin+Fob.png
    SSBB - 0087 1984 3998
  • Options
    THF13THF13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kmarts near buffalo NY didn't have it, going to try again tomorrow since I suspect that copies being shipped to NY are still en route.

THF13 on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WHAT?! Motherfuckers are selling this game early?! DAMMIT! Why don't they just release the fucking game now!?

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Being the only major release on a given week has its benefits.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn it mine doesn't have it

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really have to know why we're waiting another 11 days in the first place.

Just seems like we have retailers sitting on copies for no other reason than the publisher says so.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it because they want to give retailers enough time to get their copies in so nobody has unfair advantage by getting the game early and selling it before other guys even have it on shelves?

Renzo on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I live in the NYC area, so if anyone here find it around my parts, be sure to mention it.

I wouldn't mind getting this early.

Ranced on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I still haven't found anywhere in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area that's selling it yet.

I never thought I'd say this, but I guess Nevadans are just smarter than easterners.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I still haven't found anywhere in the Reno/Sparks/Carson City area that's selling it yet.

I never thought I'd say this, but I guess Nevadans are just smarter than easterners.

I thought you said you weren't going to be looking for it.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »

I thought it was more of "It'd be nice to have, but I don't mind not having it, as I thought I would." Or something like that. Anyway, 11 days if fine with me, I've got the patience of a doped up dental patient...except instead of having my teeth drilled I'm going to have my brain drilled ...with awesomeness.

...I don't have a car D:

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »

I thought it was more of "It'd be nice to have, but I don't mind not having it, as I thought I would." Or something like that. Anyway, 11 days if fine with me, I've got the patience of a doped up dental patient...except instead of having my teeth drilled I'm going to have my brain drilled ...with awesomeness.

...I don't have a car D:

That was more the gist of it. I called around and that was about it. I was only willing to put minimal effort into finding a copy. I'm not too bothered because I know I'll have it in 11 days anyway. Knowing other people have it now and I don't doesn't make the wait worse.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tried my local KMart in Beaverton, no luck. Still, with how awesome next week is for games, I can wait the 11 days. But only barely. :)

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No luck in the greater Orange County, CA area. But then again, I didn't expect it. Street dates are always pretty well kept in my area and the store I used to go to in Fullerton for these sort of special needs shut down late last year. Looks like I'll be waiting with the rest of you.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Being the only major release on a given week has its benefits.

Rock Band comes out the same day

bruin on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tried 3 KMarts, 4 Wal-Marts, and a Target; the Target was the only one who even knew the game existed, and he said they had them hard locked until the 20th.

Bah, I wants me some Mass Effect.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For those that do have it, or well for everyone, game or not, have you decided what your party will be? Will you try to use everyone, or will you focus on two individuals? So far I've been using Garrus and Ashley, and that makes my combat rating high (when you select your party members, there are three bars that fill up to show the overall strength of the squad; those bars are tech, biotic, and combat).

Great atmosphere in the game so far. It's very 80's science fiction, lots of metal and neon lights. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man

I can't come in here anymore.

I'm going to check my local Wal-Mart tomorrow, and if they don't have it I will leave a suicide note. But I won't really kill myself.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    man

I can't come in here anymore.

I'm going to check my local Wal-Mart tomorrow, and if they don't have it I will leave a suicide note. But I won't really kill myself.

Because it would upset the balance, the last 'you' would be all-powerful, and then the universe just may collapse.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    Requesting all people that have it post where they found it: City, State, Store. Thanks!

Terre Haute, Indiana, K-Mart #4913.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    this is unlikely to be happening in canada isn't it

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1938907883_7dde6c2664.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i thought you were a damned dirty american shoe.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I live in Canada now.

it's a long story.

THE POINT IS FUCK I WANT IT FUCK

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.