As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 8 days until you already know what happens from the spoilers you read

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Every alien I've encountered speaks "English" - no repetitive nonsense (like, say, the Twi'leks from KOTOR).

Edit for "A-CHOO-TA!"

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Every alien I've encountered speaks "English" - no repetitive nonsense (like, say, the Twi'leks from KOTOR).

Edit for "A-CHOO-TA!"
    Isn't that because your character has some kind of translator implanted in his/her skull? In any case I heartily endorse this since those goddamn nonsense languages that kept repeating the same goddamn line over and over again almost drove me insane in KOTOR 1&2...

Silpheed on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

Edit for "A-CHOO-TA!"
    Isn't that because your character has some kind of translator implanted in his/her skull? In any case I heartily endorse this since those goddamn nonsense languages that kept repeating the same goddamn line over and over again almost drove me insane in KOTOR 1&2...

Like we wouldn't notice there were only 3 lines.

Smashism on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Taris was way, way too long IMO.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drez wrote: »

I also found it a bit boring. Just the way i had to trail all the way down it to save the wookie to find the girl to etc etc. It just seemed tedious to me. Luckily it picked up after that. I hope Mass Effect doesn't suffer from that. It's good news that every alien speaks English, because i think the reason i found parts of KOTOR boring was having to read pages of alien, where i'd rather listen to it.

WMain00 on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Juba taka me-a oocha nooka?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    deowolf wrote: »

De nala wonga.

Dracomicron on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think my pacing is more along the lines of Accault's, and I have a compulsion to check every corner of everything, because I'll just kick myself if I even miss a medi-gel. I haven't beaten the goddamn game already, but I'll share what I've been up to.

The bad:
    1. The Mako controls just fine, except that if you tell it to go backward, it'll just go in reverse without turning around. I was wondering why it was going so slow, when I realized the headlights were pointing toward the camera. :lol:
    2. The menus make trading equipment between party members unnecessarily difficult if they're not in the active squad. I.e. you leave Ashley on the Normandy, but she's carrying your anti-personnel ammo. Too bad! You eventually have enough copies of each type of ammo that you'll always have some free anyway, but the principle remains.
    3. The previously mentioned texture "pop".
    4. What happened to that "tactical pause" menu from E3? You know, where the screen goes all orange and you get a 3/4 overhead view and can move your squadmates individually. I can't find any way to do that, and it would really help out.
    5. How do you melee attack? Just run up and use the fire trigger? How can you make teammates (Wrex) melee attack? I want to see him clobber some dudes!

I bolded that one in the hopes that someone could tell me how to access that mode.

The good:
    1. The dialog actually has shades of gray. It's still not quite realistic, but it's a hell of a lot closer than KOTOR or Jade Empire. A lot of the asshole responses are you just being short on time and forcing them to get to the point.
    2. The music is so awesome. The track for the galaxy map really feels epic.
    3. Combat is a lot more fun than I was expecting. The weapons all feel great, and you get some noticeable improvement with additional ranks. I'm still not sure what ranges all the tech powers operate with, since they sometimes do nothing, but when close enough, they really help against enemies with powerful biotics or extra shielding.
    4. Everything feels so complete. Just inspecting your ship will give you a codex entry about anti-matter thrusters or talking to an alien ambassador about their culture will give you a codex entry about that. Best of all, discovering all this codex info gets you XP! You are rewarded in combat for being inquisitive in your dialog. The codex in general lets you read as deep as you want to into the universe they created.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

I also found it a bit boring. Just the way i had to trail all the way down it to save the wookie to find the girl to etc etc. It just seemed tedious to me. Luckily it picked up after that. I hope Mass Effect doesn't suffer from that. It's good news that every alien speaks English, because i think the reason i found parts of KOTOR boring was having to read pages of alien, where i'd rather listen to it.

Like I said earlier, the Citadel is the new Taris. THANKFULLY, you can skip a lot of it and come back to it later if your hungry for action. But it's definitely a throw-back to Taris... well, without the whole "Taris gets blown to bits" part.

LCDXX on
    edited November 2007
    templewulf - the squad command view got dropped at the last minute. All you have is the D-pad squad commands now. And you can't do squad commands in "pause" anymore.

Edit: nor can you command units individually - they run around as a pair when given a squad command with the d-pad.

LCDXX on
    edited November 2007
    Murr that is a bit worrying, but it might be ok if everything at least speaks English.

WMain00 on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I heard someone said something like "most of the aliens have an electronic twinge to their voice because they're being translated by a computer" or something, which I thought would be cool, but maybe people have other related experiences to share about that.
    That was me. They used to, but it seems to have been dropped in all the more recent videos I've seen, which is a shame, but probably for the best. If you want to hear that very very subtle electronic effect, watch the really old videos on youtube; the bar vid or the one with garrus, both from '06.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited November 2007
    Salarians and Taurians still have that sort of electronic/echo-ish effect when they talk. But I think it's race-specific. Not every race you encounter has it, I don't think. Like the Volus.

LCDXX on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LCDXX can I add you so I can see you playing mass effect and then spam you with messages of hate over xbox live because i dont have the game?

or you know, play some halo games or something :D

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    LCDXX can I add you so I can see you playing mass effect and then spam you with messages of hate over xbox live because i dont have the game?

or you know, play some halo games or something :D

Anytime. Lemme go see if I have room no teh F-list, though. >.>

<.<

Yep, two spots left. I just sent you a friend request.

LCDXX on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha. Awesome.

Now I can do two things:

Get destroyed at Halo 3

Cry myself to sleep for at least 7 more days until I have Mass Effect.

The_Scarab on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    Great, I come back from a fantastic weekend of LAN gaming goodness only to find people not only already playing the game but having finished it already in UNDER 10 HOURS.

And graphical problems? I knew that it would have the patented UE3 texture pop-in but hearing other stuff really put me off.

So the messiahs of gaming is just a "good game"? Great, thanks a lot guys.

Under 10 hours? If your some douchy-douche who just blitzs through the dialog and doesn't do side missions I could see that. I'm 14.5 hours in right now and have only done one story mission outside of the citadel. I have barely scratched the Milkway, I might have visited 10% of the map so far. It should be noted that I have been reading every last bit of information I've found and have scoured each location rather thoroughly but probably not 100% (still missing 4 starting area Keepers). I assume the game counts the time I spend in the menus.

The graphical problems are really just the pop in. The FPS issues have seemed to smooth out a great deal once I left the Citadel.

And this is my messiah of gaming. I'm not finished yet but it is my favorite SP game of all time at this point...but I'm a big old Sci-fi nerd.

Accualt on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Haha. Awesome.

Now I can do two things:

Get destroyed at Halo 3

Cry myself to sleep for at least 7 more days until I have Mass Effect.

Man aren't you playing like three new games this week anyway? I'm getting Assassin's Creed and Mario tomorrow, so the wait for ME isn't so bad.

bruin on
  • MooseMuffinMooseMuffin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey all. I snagged this one from Kmart on Saturday and I wanted to ask if anyone else was getting some screen tearing in their game? I haven't really seen anyone else mention it but its definitely more annoying to me than the minor frame rate hiccups or texture pop in.

MooseMuffin on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    deowolf wrote: »

De nala wonga.

Moosha shaka pakka!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    New thread? I'd make it but I don't trust myself to come up with the awesome titles every day.

bruin on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    templewulf - the squad command view got dropped at the last minute. All you have is the D-pad squad commands now. And you can't do squad commands in "pause" anymore.

Edit: nor can you command units individually - they run around as a pair when given a squad command with the d-pad.

I keep hearing about this, and I'm fine with not being able to give move orders this way as I already figured you couldn't from videos stretching back months, but the thing I'm not clear on is whether or not you can order your squadmates individually in power and ability use in the pause menu still.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    also, isn't there downloadable content planned with this game?

you know, better downloadable content than "here's an extra planet that is basically a phat lewt store and then we forgot about downloadable content altogether"

Story DLC to fill in the gap between the games.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • MooseMuffinMooseMuffin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I keep hearing about this, and I'm fine with not being able to give move orders this way as I already figured you couldn't, but the thing I'm not clear on is whether or not you can order your squadmates individually in power and ability use in the pause menu still.

Yes you can. You can choose abilities and targets for those abilities per character, but I haven't been able to tell my teammates who to target with their normal attacks. A big change from Kotor.

MooseMuffin on
    edited November 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I keep hearing about this, and I'm fine with not being able to give move orders this way as I already figured you couldn't, but the thing I'm not clear on is whether or not you can order your squadmates individually in power and ability use in the pause menu still.

Yes you can. You can choose abilities and targets for those abilities per character, but I haven't been able to tell my teammates who to target with their normal attacks. A big change from Kotor.

Yay, it's still exactly like I thought it was.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just spoke with someone at Newegg about my Mass Effect order. Apparently it has been boxed & scanned and will be shipped later today.
    I still won't believe it until I get a tracking number.
    Has anyone else who ordered from Newegg heard anything?

Edit: Also, for anyone who has played the game... In the character creation screen, does the chin slider reach the Bruce Campbell setting?

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just spoke with someone at Newegg about my Mass Effect order. Apparently it has been boxed & scanned and will be shipped later today.

Edit: Also, for anyone who has played the game... In the character creation screen, does the chin slider reach the Bruce Campbell setting?

This is a deal breaker right here.

Houn on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

God damn it. I was really looking forward to that part. What do you think the chances are of it being patched back in through DLC?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If they took it out they took it out for a reason, I wouldnt expect to see it ever.

well maybe in Mass Effect 2

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    templewulf wrote: »

God damn it. I was really looking forward to that part. What do you think the chances are of it being patched back in through DLC?

As was clarified above, while you can't give move orders or tell them exactly what targets to attack with their standard weapons individually, the ability to pause and tell them what powers to use on what targets is still there. So it's not like you can only give them orders outside of the pause menu and can only tell them where to move.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

What step does the order page say you're at? Mine says step 3 and I have no idea if it's going to ship soon or not.

Walrus Pete on
  • JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

What step does the order page say you're at? Mine says step 3 and I have no idea if it's going to ship soon or not.

Mine says Step 3. I told that to the woman I was speaking with and she said that it was showing for her as packed and scanned.

You can always click the icon in the upper right of the account screen to chat with a live CSR.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Goddamit, it seems the US and its mother can get Mass Effect. But what about us UK'ers. WHAT ABOUT US!! WE NEED SPACE FUN!!

Even PA has it! Argh!! :x

WMain00 on
    edited November 2007
    Goddamit, it seems the US and its mother can get Mass Effect. But what about us UK'ers. WHAT ABOUT US!! WE NEED SPACE FUN!!

Even PA has it! Argh!! :x

You guys got halo 3

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited November 2007
    But we don't want Halo 3...it smells...

>_>

WMain00 on
    edited November 2007
    But we don't want Halo 3...it smells...

>_>

Sounds dangerous.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »

captaink on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Great success!

HAHA.jpg

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Great success!

HAHA.jpg

I'm going to kill you eight times with a bat.

One for each day you got it before myself.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
This discussion has been closed.