As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EvE Online - Why I left, and why you should

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Van do wrote: »
    Btw griefing people in carriers out of the game is nothing new for us (Ticalos is me btw):

Herman Galo > whee. a quick jump on there....
    big5824 > nice job with all the carrier ganking pandemic :)
    Maikar > guys no please
    Maikar > i just got this today x.x
    Maikar > this is my LIFE in eve

big5824 > are u loosing a cap?
    big5824 > i wana laugh
    Elwoood Blues > wts thanatos, convo me
    big5824 > another bites the dust *bom bom*
    Maikar > yeah i bet you're real proud
    Maikar > i didn't even have it fit
    Maikar > in fact that was 30 seconds after i GOT INTO IT
    Maximus Desimus > ur mistake
    Fitzwilli > lol
    Maikar > not my mistake
    Blafbeest > I am proud
    Maikar > i was moving it to the other station
    sakana > \o/
    Maikar > that's where my fitting are
    Maximus Desimus > lol
    Blafbeest > why didnt you say?
    Maikar > -.-
    Maximus Desimus > should have brought ur fittings to the ship not ship to the fittings
    Fitzwilli > ^^
    Ticalos > i admit i've undocked unfitted carriers before
    Ticalos > then again, there was noone in local
    Maikar > i dun care
    Maikar > i'm done
    Maikar > bye

Fitzwilli > lol
    Fitzwilli > o/
    Maximus Desimus > see ya
    Ticalos > can i have your thanatos fittings?
    Ticalos > seeing as y'know
    Ticalos > no great use for them

See, while I find this hilarious I am also positively terrified that it'll happen to me when I can finally undock my carrier...then again I have a second account getting ready to pop cynos etc so I suppose I'm prepared.
    Meanwhile when I get a carrier I'm gonna slowboat it between stations just to see how long it takes for someone to kill it.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    Btw griefing people in carriers out of the game is nothing new for us (Ticalos is me btw):

Maikar > guys no please

big5824 > i wana laugh
    Fitzwilli > lol
    Maikar > not my mistake
    Blafbeest > I am proud
    sakana > \o/
    Maximus Desimus > lol
    Maikar > -.-
    Maximus Desimus > should have brought ur fittings to the ship not ship to the fittings
    Fitzwilli > ^^
    Maikar > i dun care
    Maikar > i'm done
    Maikar > bye

Fitzwilli > lol
    Fitzwilli > o/
    Maximus Desimus > see ya

See, while I find this hilarious I am also positively terrified that it'll happen to me when I can finally undock my carrier...then again I have a second account getting ready to pop cynos etc so I suppose I'm prepared.
    Meanwhile when I get a carrier I'm gonna slowboat it between stations just to see how long it takes for someone to kill it.
    But will you put officer loot in it?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this is what other people reading WoW topics must feel like :o

yeah, every so often when I read/write a post like this I take a step back and consider how many words would be comprehensible to a normal person. usually it is less than 1%

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    oh god I wish I could get onto gf.com so I could post the chatlogs from when I blew up someones Navy Raven from canflagging

He was asking how to fit it and bragging about it in local

then he picked some ore or something out of my can

then I blew him up in a rupture with a vexor helping me. he hadn't bought any missiles yet.

it was hilarious.

e: then he convoed me about how there was no longer any reason to play eve and that he was quitting :whistle:

Monoxide on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    oh god I wish I could get onto gf.com so I could post the chatlogs from when I blew up someones Navy Raven from canflagging

He was asking how to fit it and bragging about it in local

then he picked some ore or something out of my can

then I blew him up in a rupture with a vexor helping me. he hadn't bought any missiles yet.

it was hilarious.

e: then he convoed me about how there was no longer any reason to play eve and that he was quitting :whistle:

I found a post about it, but no chatlog. If you tell me when it happened or where you posted I can narrow down my search. Looking through your 600 posts is :effort:
    KNar was right. It was a can flag. I dropped a "Free Loot" can outside of the undock while waiting for war targets, and Mr. Raven picked it up. It was pretty hilarious, he picks it up and cloaks, then convos me and says he cloaked because he saw me sitting there and didn't want me to shoot. I told him not to worry, that I was just waiting for war targets, so he uncloaks and just sits there for a second. I locked him, web/scrammed, and started firing away. He returned fire with one missile the entire time, and did nothing but beg for a ransom in local while I called for help in gfgbs.

Sceelax undocked and started helping me kill him until we got him to about 50% structure, where I offered a 500m ransom. He said "hold on I'll get it" and then didn't send anything while my drones kept plinking away at him. I think he was trying to dock or something to "get" the money, all he did was start to turn and try to slowboat toward the station until he exploded, but I was more than satisfied with the raven kill. :shobon:

Sceelax then podded him and got concorded because he forgot the aggression timer didn't transfer to pods. :saddowns:

The 100 Hail M you see on the killmail were what was so worth it to take from my can to risk losing a Navy Raven.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    this is what other people reading WoW topics must feel like :o

yeah, every so often when I read/write a post like this I take a step back and consider how many words would be comprehensible to a normal person. usually it is less than 1%

The ability to formulate a reply, write it out, preview and read it, realize it was 99% worthless and hit the Back button instead of Submit is the most important ability a forumer could ever have. :P

Ledneh on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    99% worthless to people who do not play the game, i.e.people you're not adressing anyways
    that being said, eve sounds really frustratig looking at it from the wow perspective. the worst that can happen to you is getting corpse ganked on a pvp server for a few hours.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The only 2 downsides of EVE vs. WoW are collateral loss (that this thread is about, more or less) and travel time being both dangerous and/or horribly long.

The server problems amplify both of these issues to annoyingly escalated levels.

To CCP's credit, the addition of Jump Clones were a step in the right direction but until they add in InterBus (I think I read about this on a blog... it decentralizes trade hubs by 'shipping' stuff within regional markets) travel time is still a headache even within high sec.

The old adage goes: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    99% worthless to people who do not play the game, i.e.people you're not adressing anyways
    that being said, eve sounds really frustratig looking at it from the wow perspective. the worst that can happen to you is getting corpse ganked on a pvp server for a few hours.

It's not for the feint of heart. When you pvp, you lose everything you have fitted when you die. Some of it explodes with the ship, and some of it floats in the wreck waiting for anyone who comes by to pick it up (usually the guy that killed you). To further add to the misery, high-end modules in Eve are often just as hard (in some cases harder) to get than in WoW, which is why you always hear people talking about only flying what you can afford to lose.

That said, if you're a whore for meaningful pvp or just like inflicting pain on others it's an awesome game.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »

Maikar > guys no please

big5824 > i wana laugh
    Fitzwilli > lol
    Maikar > not my mistake
    Blafbeest > I am proud
    sakana > \o/
    Maximus Desimus > lol
    Maikar > -.-
    Fitzwilli > ^^
    Maikar > i dun care
    Maikar > i'm done
    Maikar > bye

Fitzwilli > lol
    Fitzwilli > o/
    Maximus Desimus > see ya

Meanwhile when I get a carrier I'm gonna try to dock it by hitting "dock" like I have 5000 times before and I will watch it not dock.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    CripTonic wrote: »
    The only 2 downsides of EVE vs. WoW are collateral loss (that this thread is about, more or less) and travel time being both dangerous and/or horribly long.

The server problems amplify both of these issues to annoyingly escalated levels.

To CCP's credit, the addition of Jump Clones were a step in the right direction but until they add in InterBus (I think I read about this on a blog... it decentralizes trade hubs by 'shipping' stuff within regional markets) travel time is still a headache even within high sec.

That's amazing that I consider those two to be upsides. The more flightpaths added, the more pvp became sanitized, the less I liked it.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The greatest part of eve is Risk vs Reward. if you lose then it's gone, you need to think about what you do very carefully, there is no going back.

This is what makes the game better than the others.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    As said, with the new starting skills a newbie can be in a good ratting ship in under a month if they know what skills to train (and we have a wiki for that.)

Where is this wiki? Thanks.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's the goonswarm wiki, if you're goonswarm you should have access to it, if not, you'll have to join a goonswarm fleet.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Merch Industrial has full Goonswarm wiki access, you do not need to join Goonfleet to get at the wiki and its chewy goodness.

Also travel time is another one of those odd boondoggles. On the one hand, yes, of course travel time sucks (although it's not exactly like game such as WoW lack travel time, either.) But on the other hand travel time is what gives the game some of its strategic depth. It makes places matter; 9-9 is currently a safe haven for Merch because it is located fairly distantly from the front lines and is only occasionally raided. We're getting a new station soon, but doing so requires effort on our part as we have to move the necessary pieces and ships into place. If the game lacked that element, it would lose a lot of its macro-strategic feel.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »

That's amazing that I consider those two to be upsides. The more flightpaths added, the more pvp became sanitized, the less I liked it.

I agree, to a point.

There are still obvious regional bottle-necks which provide linear paths to common destinations, which is a good thing for PvP (specifically gate camps, the only kind of PvP EVE really has to offer beyond belt ganks).

I guess I just don't like the tempo in EVE, there are a lot of obvious reasons to why it is slower paced (time zones, real losses, perpetual game play) but at the same time it feels too slow in some regards.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the info on Goonswarm and MerchI.

I tried EVE about a year ago, but between the game crashing constantly because of sound issues, and my inability to guild up, I quit. Now, though, I'm getting a new computer, and the Exploration feature beckons to me oh so sweetly.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Brian888 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on Goonswarm and MerchI.

I tried EVE about a year ago, but between the game crashing constantly because of sound issues, and my inability to guild up, I quit. Now, though, I'm getting a new computer, and the Exploration feature beckons to me oh so sweetly.

Join Merch Industrial. There is no better decision you can make.

EDIT: Also, there is a ridiculous probability that any pubbie corp you join might (a) be a comedy corp to be battled against another comedy corp by Goons or (b) be a GIA/scam corp run by Goons.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    or by me

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was like a lot of people, in that I wanted to like EVE a lot (because, you know, spaceships and stuff, that you can fit how you want, etc.) In the end I wound up disliking it, though, because it seemed like too much time/work to get to the fun part. I personally think that the lowbie end of the game needs to be tweaked somewhat, so that a loss or two doesn't set you as far back, but I don't really know what a good way to do that would be.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    claxton wrote: »
    or by me

Although to be fair, your scams tend to backfire on you resulting in you ending up running legitimate corporations for fear of prosecution.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    OptimusWangOptimusWang Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There are still obvious regional bottle-necks which provide linear paths to common destinations, which is a good thing for PvP (specifically gate camps, the only kind of PvP EVE really has to offer beyond belt ganks)..

Or fleet engagements, POS fights, station camping, probing out mission runners, empire wars, traditional small gang pvp and recon gangs.

I realize that I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you (greifing pvp'er vs empire-hugging carebear), but at least be objective as to what the game has to offer. With the exception of probing out mission-runners, I've done everything I listed in the past week.

OptimusWang on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If this were a year ago, I would agree on virtually all points you've stated, but they've basically neutered PvP potential. Look at it this way:

If you were to fly into hostile space, they have the ability to use POSs, stations, and safes to completely avoid ever contacting you. They are not PvPing and you can't force them to without a group of substantial size and fire power. If you are forced to fight it's a gank and the ganker gets to chose whether or not to engage, and will not engage something they can't win.

If I chose to use industry as my method of making ISK I have 2 choices: Stay in empire, or risk undocking in .4 and lower to become a target against something I simply cannot defend myself against.

If you have the skill points to fly a completely bullshit gank ship, you don't need ISK because you can simply take it from the labor of others (by means of killing them and looting their wrecks). Under virtually no circumstances can I solo fly anything that is capable of killing an Arazu for example because he has the ability to chose his own battles.

Is this a bad thing? No, it's part of the game. The point is that in all of your examples you're either not PvPing or your just waiting around to potentially PvP, which is something that probably won't happen unless their group thinks they can take your group.

- Throwing dozens of BSs at a Cyno Jammer just to engage a properly setup POS is not PvP. When a few players are controlling the guns/jammers it's completely 1 sided.
    - Station camping is hardly PvP because of both warp to 0 (unless you bubble it up obviously) and the completely optional nature of PvP from those being camped. Even if you sack a station, people can exist within it until they choose to leave. This lets them manipulate your markets and so whatever they want until they decide to stop.
    - Probes, even of the longest range and least accurate variety, appear on scanners. If you get probed it's your own fault. If they removed probes from scanner people would just constantly move. Both result in not PvPing unless your target is AFK, has aggression and logs off, or doesn't know how to properly use their scanner.
    - Empire wars are less wars and more station camping which again, can be avoided entirely or escaped in shuttles (especially since they can't use bubbles/dictors).

Your last point is basically what gate camping and belt ganking has become in EVE. Small gang PvP and recon fleets that may never see each other due to the inherent nature of their ship types.

Waiting games are not PvP.
    Fighting something non-player controlled in not PvP.
    Ganking ability is skill based.
    Solo-gank targets cannot defend themselves 1v1 under any circumstances because the ganker initiates combat.

As I said in my first post in page 1: There's a lot of reasons to quit EVE and losing petitionable crap isn't on my list.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lots of words here

You know, all I here is Wah Wah Wah I couldn't properly PvP in eve so everyone should quit.

There are thousands of people who engage in combat every night in eve. It seems more often than not I find PvP when I play eve.

Eve isn't necessarily about fair fights, that's what makes it so refreshingly hard. You have to pick your battles or learn to avoid being caught.

It's like submarine warfare.

It's not for everyone. Just cause you didn't like the way combat goes down, doesn't mean the 100,000+ active subscribers don't.

eatblueshell on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Maybe that's why I didn't make the thread.

Also, shooting fish in a barrel isn't refreshingly hard. PvP in EVE has deteriorated horribly in EVE since warp to 0, changes to POSs and cyno jammers.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't played this game and don't know much about it...

but why can't they just make some areas "Safe zones"

Like the main hubs or whatever. Again, not sure how it works. but there should be places where it's safe, but wherever you need to be to do a trade one from one safe zone to the other or to do missions and explore areas you'd need to be ready or to have your possy with you.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Evil_Pig wrote: »

Like the main hubs or whatever. Again, not sure how it works. but there should be places where it's safe, but wherever you need to be to do a trade one from one safe zone to the other or to do missions and explore areas you'd need to be ready or to have your possy with you.

these exist, it's called high security space

problem is that high security space is a terrible place to make money. if you want faster gain, you have to go to low sec and player controlled space, where danger is considerably higher.

and when I say problem I mean the problem that the whiners have with it, because I think it makes a lot of sense.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Evil_Pig wrote: »

You've pretty much described Empire space to Lowsec/0.0

It's all good though, since you aren't sure how 'it' works.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Crip is wrong on many points but this
    Solo-gank targets cannot defend themselves 1v1 under any circumstances because the ganker initiates combat.

made me giggle like a little girl.

Screamline on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Screamline wrote: »
    Where's Weaver when we need to talk about the surprise sex Mackinaw and the assault frigate?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

If the ganker is sufficiently intelligent, then it's a reasonably accurate statement. It's true of virtually any real battle where the person who chooses the time, place and circumstances of a fight is likely to win, assuming they aren't a complete dolt (did I ever tell you about the time I tried to gank a macrohauler in an interceptor outside Hosh station? Yeah, like I say, this relies on the ganker not being a total idiot). EVE doesn't make any concessions for ensuring that any fights you get involved with a pre-arrange boxing matches between equally weighted opponents. So a smart player will choose encounters he knows he can win. But then there's always the possibility of an eventuality he hasn't predicted. Say attacking a Battlecruiser in a belt who he assumes is fit for ratting when in actual fact it's fit specifically for countering t2 cruisers. Although in that situation, I'd argue that the pilot sitting in a belt in a PvP BC was the one who choose the time, place and circumstances of the battle and even although he may not have been first to aggress did, technically, initiate combat via baiting.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »

I agree, to a point.

There are still obvious regional bottle-necks which provide linear paths to common destinations, which is a good thing for PvP (specifically gate camps, the only kind of PvP EVE really has to offer beyond belt ganks).

I guess I just don't like the tempo in EVE, there are a lot of obvious reasons to why it is slower paced (time zones, real losses, perpetual game play) but at the same time it feels too slow in some regards.

It's not my main argument that longer travel times increase risk (say, getting killed halfway through 50 jumps) and add a level of excitement that way, although it does.

I'm not really thinking about combat at all, but about immersion. Hopping onto a griffin and clearing an entire continent in 10 minutes or just asking your buddy to teleport you halfway across the world (or hell, jumpcloning) just makes the world seem that much smaller. It should be a long-ass time to travel an entire continent or a good mapped section of a GALAXY.

I'm absolutely sure I'm in the minority, though. I can understand people being pissed off if they had to travel for 3 hours in a game, but I think it encourages planning ahead (woops forgot my drakefire amulet brb lolz).

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Travel times are long enough as is. In the sense that I've spent days moving in and out of heavily contested systems and that's only 1 jump, going 50 through free space should not take nearly as long.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Travel times are long enough as is. In the sense that I've spent days moving in and out of heavily contested systems and that's only 1 jump, going 50 through free space should not take nearly as long.

I'll disagree with you here. You can get to pretty much any place in EVE from another within 70-80 jumps. I use http://eve.grismar.net/navigator/index.php to plot out routes, and even when I put in typos and I plot something from XGH (bottom right of the map) to XZH (upper left), it simply isn't that far. Capships can move even quicker.

The wierd thing is how so much of 0.0 is simply unused. If the truesec in an area isn't very good, and it's not near a main pipe, it quite literally won't be entered into on a daily basis. I know this because I've gone pos scouting, and had to sit at gates that wouldn't let me through because the next system hadn't loaded (exactly what happens after DT each day).

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pretty good troll. One original rant, with no follow up. Interesting.

Would like to hear the result of the petition. Sounds like a pretty clear case if this is indeed what happened. I've hit the docking bug with my tiny ships all the time, and I don't even have close to the skill points invested.

I would think the docking bug would be a known issue and you might have done something about it such as spam the dock button until the screen goes black like I do when I'm moving my covetor...

Trekkie on
    Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Where's Weaver when we need to talk about the surprise sex Mackinaw and the assault frigate?

It wasn't an AF, it was rifter, but yeah I killed him with my mackinaw. Why didn't he just warp out you ask?

One of my drones bumped him off alignment.

Weaver on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also raping pubbie exhumers in my recon is :shobon:

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    weaver who are you in eve?

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Or the days of hoshoun where I'd sit in asteroid belt 1-1 for over an hour waiting like a spider in a ship named ASTEROID PLOW.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    its atarp

I miss the NEED HELP FITTING MUH BAITSHIP threads.

claxton on
This discussion has been closed.