As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Big patch! Spring Fling event! ITT we plan Accualt's wedding.

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    So guys, team night. When?

I could probably fit it in any evening except Thursday.

Since the vast majority of Team and Scheme night characters are at or above 35, should we consider combining the two and teaming up in RWZ? Or should we keep them more or less separate?

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    So guys, team night. When?

Is it on again? If so it is 8 cst I think.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, my "team night character" is only level 6. I just thought I'd ask and see if there was much chance of getting it started back up before I put any more time in on her (obviously I'd have some catching up to do to get to RWZ; I didn't have any characters on Victory before this weekend.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    Oh God, I'm starting to remember why I hate the official forums. I cannot believe some of the shit people will complain about on there. First, did you guys know that anyone other than Paragon Protectors used Moment of Glory? Apparently some folks actually used it, and don't like the change! How anyone with an ounce of brains in their head doesn't see that as a great change is beyond me, but when they further try to back it up by calling Regen weak I die a bit inside. Second, some people apparently don't want more XP, as it causes them to outlevel their arcs. "Oh nos I can't do all content!" Like most of it is worth doing m i rite. Thirdly, and you might want to brace yourself for this, there are people who are pissed about the change in Frozen Aura, and have promised to retire their /Ice.

No, really!

Well, there are a lot of idiots on the official forums. Using Lucks was better than using old MoG. Hell, in almost every situation, old MoG reduced your survivability. Been reading EvilRyu's posts I expect?

And the content thing is silly, since you know, Oroborous.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do Blasters have an aggro cap?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Everything has an aggro cap, I think it's 10 or 16 or something.

Scooter on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Been reading EvilRyu's posts I expect?

Nailed it in one, although when I went over to the Scrapper forums there were some idiots of the same flock shitting in a thread.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

I believe both numbers are correct. PBAoEs are 10 and ranged AoEs are 16.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I believe both numbers are correct. PBAoEs are 10 and ranged AoEs are 16.

No, that's the target cap. There's actually a cap as to how many npcs can be aggroed on you at once.

I was able to test this during that one Black Scorpion mish with 200 nems in one spot, I think only 16 of them could attack me at once.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ah, misread that. Yeah, I think it's 16.

Pb on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Been reading EvilRyu's posts I expect?

Nailed it in one, although when I went over to the Scrapper forums there were some idiots of the same flock shitting in a thread.

Honestly, its tempting to go into those threads and say "Wait, you actually needed the old MoG? I guess you sucked at playing Regen"

The people bitching that controllers don't get Containment on the new Repulsion bomb are crazy too. It does a lot more damage now you twerps, shut up and eat your pudding!

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think about it that was totally Accualt on Sonna's account anyway and I am an idiot.

Nope, all I did was give her an avatar. She registered herself and everything.

EDIT: And if we are doing this wedding thing we are going all out.
    Any of you happen to know DJs from The Cape or Woot or where ever?

This is a bit late, but yeah, I'm friends with Winter, Templar, and Vangelus.

I.E the best fucking DJs.

Seriously, Vangelus should fucking cover this.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So is the levelling noticeably faster? I got bored of the game because I'd spend several hours blowing up people sweating bricks because any lucky crit or bad pull would kill me (Although ninety percent of the time I lived on the I kick ass side of this difficulty curve, but still, you gotta think) and get virtually nothing for it. I mean, the blapping and booming was awesome fun, and I'm really interested in coming back, but even the most awesome fun got old when you had to do it umpteen million times in the same building texture fighting the same monster again and again. I didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything.
    Can you do flashback stuff again and again to get old items? Do you get any exp for mentoring down to older creatures? Does the orborous thing help with the monotomy of the regular exp missions? Easier ways to get money and such now?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The leveling is even noticeably faster on my lowbie 11 Mastermind. It's not as noticeable when you solo, but it's blindingly apparent in a group of any size.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is it actually faster to level an MM in a group rather than soloing now then? Even in most effective melting parties I always found going solo to be faster (if more boring).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    On my 44 MM I went from getting 3-5% of a level per mission up to 8-10%. It is a fuck ton faster in the 40s.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Starting at about 37 you only need about 2/3rds the time to level up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think I can solo past like level 14 in this game. I tried to run a few missions last night, but it was so boring and my Blaster is so weak he looses half his health if anything breaths on him.

I just said fuck it I'm gonna make a new character, but people were on and started a group by the time I had my character rolled so I just joined them.

Speaking of my new Scrapper, what's the best secondary for an MA Scrapper?

I took Super Reflexes becuase it works with the concept of the character, but is Willpower or Regen better, or maybe more flexible? It seems like you have to take every power in SR in order to have a solid defense, and that doesn't leave much room for anything else.

Drool on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Regen is probably the most flexible scrapper secondary. With willpower you're taking at least 7 out 9 powers.

Lep on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A lot like SR, except SR it's at least 8 out of 9, but probably 9 out or 9. I might try Willpower though.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/city-of-heroes.html

Cryptic is taking the assets it had for the now-dead MUO and is making a Champions MMO out of it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yay!

Since it won't have any Marvel IP, I think this literally will be CoX 2, without the CoX sig chars. I don't know Champions well enough to know if it has an established backstory.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yay!

Since it won't have any Marvel IP, I think this literally will be CoX 2, without the CoX sig chars. I don't know Champions well enough to know if it has an established backstory.

It's been a long time since I played it, but it does. No one will care since I don't think that many people know the system and care about the setting and actually use the setting.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, misread that. Yeah, I think it's 16.

16? I had been fooled into believing that it was changed to 10. I was on test trying out a defensive build for my Fire/Dev Blaster. I was herding 4 groups of 4 Demons and taking them out easily. That was why I asked.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well now...I am torn.

I mean MUO was a slam dunk for me, because I love the Marvel Universe.
    Now I'm going to have to choose between two super hero MMOs with universes I don't know/care about.
    CoX will be far more feature rich than Champions come launch, unless Cryptic gets some major financial backing. Hmmmm...not good.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Accualt, you have no sense of adventure or exploration at all.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/city-of-heroes.html

Cryptic is taking the assets it had for the now-dead MUO and is making a Champions MMO out of it.

S.. so wait. They sold the rights to CoX, then went out and started up, essentually, CoX2?

Champions is almost ringing a bell as well, that's um, that's the Superhero RPG series, right?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The really old one, yes. I think Mutants and Masterminds is a newer one.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    korodullin wrote: »
    Accualt, you have no sense of adventure or exploration at all.

Hey I'm all for adventure and exploration (I played EQ1) but nothing I've heard about Champions in the past makes it sound different than CoX. With Marvel I'd have new adventures rooted in an established world I know about. That makes it far more fun, for me, as running through the game you'd see little nods to your favorite stories, and whatnot.
    Not to mention, as much as I love CoX, there isn't really any exploration feeling to it. Adventure, sure, but I've never felt like I'm exploring anything in it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wanda Maximoff killed MUO. There, I said it.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    Wanda Maximoff killed MUO. There, I said it.

"No more MMORPGs"

Pony on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    First of all, keep in mind I love the game... despite the shortcomings I'll be listing below.

I find the lore groundwork of City of Heroes/Villains to be lacking, most story arcs to be unpolished and a good amount of their signature heroes and villains to be bland and unimaginative. With that said, knowing Champion predates its incarnation as an MMO, I'm guessing it'll easily topple CoH/CoV in that department.

Tech-wise, I hope they work on an engine that, to put it bluntly, doesn't suck major amounts of ass. CoX has one of the worst engines I've ever played a game in. It has huge gaping maws of memory leak, it's way too heavy in the system resources area for the little it does graphically, and they have so many almost arbitrary limitations due to their short-sight when putting it all together, that it doesn't scale well and would require a complete overhaul to evolve. Not even going to touch the UI... they're lucky they got the gameplay down to a very fun formula.

So Champion has it beat in the tech aspect too, unless they commit the same mistakes of the past. Just for starters, I'm guessing their customization will be amazing from the get go, seeing as I recall the CoH/CoV devs not realizing just how well-received their character creation engine would be. Power, Skill, Weapon and Appearance will most likely be very malleable.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how character roles, abilities and combat are handled in Champion?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Champions doesn't have ATs, or am I mistaken?
    You just get X amount of points to build a character and then pick the powers you want up to that total. Like Freedom Force.
    Oh ho, the balance bitching will be epic.

Accualt on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    I'm going to shit all over CoX in a CoX thread and claim a game that no one knows hardly anything about except that it was psuedo-announced and has the dead marvel games assets, is far better in every aspect.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how character roles, abilities and combat are handled in Champion?

No.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Champions doesn't have ATs, or am I mistaken?
    You just get X amount of points to build a character and then pick the powers you want up to that total. Like Freedom Force.
    Oh ho, the balance bitching will be epic.

That worked perfectly well in the best MMORPG in history, Asheron's Call, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work in a game like Champions.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to shit all over CoX in a CoX thread and claim a game that no one knows hardly anything about except that it was psuedo-announced and has the dead marvel games assets, is far better in every aspect.

No.

I like this game a great deal, otherwise I wouldn't play it.

It's not perfect or even excellent though; far from it. It's good at what it does and it's one of a kind in the genre. The gameplay is great, the concept is awesome and the customization so far, has more quantity than any other game, although it's not all of the same quality. On the other hand...

The lore is shallow; ever read the comics? The later ones in particular?

And from a tech standpoint, it's not even a contest. It's severely lacking in ALL areas. Don't fool yourself into thinking that's not the case.

Cryptic, the ones handling Champion, were the ones that created CoV/CoH, so if they learned anything from their previous mistakes, they can and will try their damned best to create a better game than they did in the past. Yes, they may fail in that regard, so admittedly I took some liberty in hoping for the best.

(And by the way, last time I checked... I'm allowed to call out the games I play on their shortcomings. So I will.)

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying the bitching about the balance will be epic.
    I also imagine trying to balance a system like that is infinitely more difficult than a class based one. Heck, that open ended system is what CoX originally was but the devs ran into too many min/max gimping tankmage issues that they scraped it. They simply didn't have the time ($) to get it working.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm saying the bitching about the balance will be epic.
    I also imagine trying to balance a system like that is infinitely more difficult than a class based one. Heck, that open ended system is what CoX originally was but the devs ran into too many min/max gimping tankmage issues that they scraped it. They simply didn't have the time ($) to get it working.

Maybe something more along the lines of Guild Wars would be for the best. Mix and match certain archetypes, making sure that all combinations have their pros and cons.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

No.

I like this game a great deal, otherwise I wouldn't play it.

It's not perfect or even excellent though; far from it. It's good at what it does and it's one of a kind in the genre. The gameplay is great, the concept is awesome and the customization so far, has more quantity than any other game, although it's not all of the same quality. On the other hand...

The lore is shallow; ever read the comics? The later ones in particular?

And from a tech standpoint, it's not even a contest. It's severely lacking in ALL areas. Don't fool yourself into thinking that's not the case.

Cryptic, the ones handling Champion, were the ones that created CoV/CoH, so if they learned anything from their previous mistakes, they can and will try their damned best to create a better game than they did in the past. Yes, they may fail in that regard, so admittedly I took some liberty in hoping for the best.

(And by the way, last time I checked... I'm allowed to call out the games I play on their shortcomings. So I will.)

That is perfectly fine but if you would have included even just your first sentence here in your first post he probably wouldn't have said anything. It did sound like you came in here just to shit on the game and leave from your previous post.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    That is perfectly fine but if you would have included even just your first sentence here in your first post he probably wouldn't have said anything. It did sound like you came in here just to shit on the game and leave from your previous post.

Point taken, you're correct. I will hopefully soften the tone by slightly editing the post in question then.

aunsoph on
This discussion has been closed.