Options

I am [chat]

• Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Like for example did you know if you run out of dishwasher detergent you're not supposed to use Ajax in there instead?

I know that now.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Like for example did you know if you run out of dishwasher detergent you're not supposed to use Ajax in there instead?

I know that now.

I learned that dish soap cannot be substituted for dishwasher detergent back in college. The kitchen was literally filled with three feet of suds.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    We did not have the privilege of having a dishwasher in college. Hence my dishwasher-related developmental retardation. :(

Ours didn't get as impressive as 3 feet, though. I observed it when it started oozing out the sides, and was able to shut the thing down and transfer the bubbles/wipe out the soap while shrieking incoherently.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

I know that now.

I learned that dish soap cannot be substituted for dishwasher detergent back in college. The kitchen was literally filled with three feet of suds.

My grandfather did that once. He accidentally put dishwashing liquid in the machine in stead of dishwasher liquid. We all shared a laugh.

LaOs on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hahaha, your kitchen stories rock. I don't have much to tell, just the old "tried to extinguish grease fire with water" thingies. Eyebrows do take a long time to grow back.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, so I did a wet test of my feet (me and Mr. DG are planning to go buy actually decent running shoes tonight since we've both been having minor knee pain with our old shitty sneakers), and I have a pretty high arch. But looking at my feet/ankles and the location of my knee pain and my stride, I'm pretty sure I'm over-pronating.

What.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What.

All I understood was pain, high arch, and ankles. I think.

What is a wet test?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's when you make your foot damp and then step on a piece of paper to see what shape your print is. If almost your whole foot appears, you have low arches. If there's only a narrow strip connecting your heel to the ball of your foot, you have high arches.

High arches usually lead to under-pronation (your feet normally tend to roll outwards a bit). But my ankles appear to roll inward, which is what happens when you have low arches.

Basically my feet and lower legs are stupid and messed-up.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's when you make your foot damp and then step on a piece of paper to see what shape your print is. If almost your whole foot appears, you have low arches. If there's only a narrow strip connecting your heel to the ball of your foot, you have high arches.

High arches usually lead to under-pronation (your feet normally tend to roll outwards a bit). But my ankles appear to roll inward, which is what happens when you have low arches.

Basically my feet and lower legs are stupid and messed-up.

That is unfortunate.
    Probably calls for expensive shoes, to boot.

LaOs on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You have very oddly shaped feet, Grace.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Does that mean you're flat footed, Grace?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm the opposite of flat-footed, actually - I have high arches. But my feet apparently act as though they were flat. Which is a pretty stupid thing for them to do.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Does that mean you're flat footed, Grace?

If she has high arches and is over-pronating that means she has really high arches.

What do your feet do when you run, Grace?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    They roll inward. I noticed this on the long run I planned yesterday, which I had to walk the last chunk of because my knee was complaining - I also noticed that if I used whatever those muscles alongside my shins are to tense my ankles outward a bit, then my knee didn't bother me as much (those muscles got tired really fast doing that, though).

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I know that now.

While bad when done accidentally, it usually results in bubble wrestling and female nudity when done at parties while in college.

At least, in my experience.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    They roll inward. I noticed this on the long run I planned yesterday, which I had to walk the last chunk of because my knee was complaining - I also noticed that if I used whatever those muscles alongside my shins are to tense my ankles outward a bit, then my knee didn't bother me as much (those muscles got tired really fast doing that, though).

Let me rephrase my question:

Do your toes flip in, out, or stay straght when your legs go back?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Your feet are indeed strange, Grace.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2007

An ex-girlfriend's father had this problem - his feet rolled inwards. He was a tubby dude to boot, and it had caused him no end of knee, leg and hip problems. I'd recommend that you get it actually professional checked out early if at all possible.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hahahahahaha.

They're fucked. At the very least they have to say it to technically uphold aviation safety and hygiene standards.

Incidentally I'm not entirely sure flying that class after a few trips is going to be desirable...then again I suppose I've slept in motel beds. Still...confined space with recirculated air...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Gooey wrote: »

Let me rephrase my question:

Do your toes flip in, out, or stay straght when your legs go back?

I'm not positive, but I think they're either staying basically straight or flipping a tiny bit out.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just realized the Ron Paul thread was over 40 pages long.

Jesus.

Elendil on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My right leg is... oddly shaped.

I've never had problems walking, but when I run it's painful after a while. Basically everything from my knee down is tilted to the right, just on my right leg.

So if I position both my feet facing straight forward, my right knee will be pointing to the left. And my natural stance is with the left foot forward, but the right foot facing 2 o'clock.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So IGN's video game reviews are pretty wretched in general, but I'm finding IGN Australia's reviews decent. I wonder if there's a reason for this.

Like, do Australians have better taste than I'd given them credit for as some sort of collective unconscious?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

I've never had problems walking, but when I run it's painful after a while. Basically everything from my knee down is tilted to the right, just on my right leg.

So if I position both my feet facing straight forward, my right knee will be pointing to the left. And my natural stance is with the left foot forward, but the right foot facing 2 o'clock.

There is only one solution:
    batai1.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

There is only one solution:
    batai1.jpg

I likes the way you think.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So I'm torn on picking up Eternal Sonata. It seems to be a really interesting high concept (a musical-allegory RPG played inside Frederic Chopin's fevered dreams as he lies dying), but insofar as I can tell, it kind of falls flat in trying to do anything really interesting with it. Also, I didn't finish Blue Dragon, so maybe I just don't have it in me to actually trudge through JRPGs anymore.

Also, Mass Effect comes out in like a couple of weeks and there's a whole lot of other stuff I need to play on the Xbox. I just feel like I'm kind of missing out and/ or failing to support a project that actually took a chance with an interesting theme in the vidja.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    So IGN's video game reviews are pretty wretched in general, but I'm finding IGN Australia's reviews decent. I wonder if there's a reason for this.

Like, do Australians have better taste than I'd given them credit for as some sort of collective unconscious?
    I'm guessing the IGN reviewers don't say hinkfo. God I hope stupid fucking IGN has stopped that.

In hindsight drinking 4 rum and cokes last night was not a good idea at all. Ugh.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I'm torn on picking up Eternal Sonata. It seems to be a really interesting high concept (a musical-allegory RPG played inside Frederic Chopin's fevered dreams as he lies dying), but insofar as I can tell, it kind of falls flat in trying to do anything really interesting with it.

I'm trying to determine if there was some subtle musical joke intended here.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sour cream is my favorite mexican food, unfortunately.

How classy of me.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually seem to be improving at Rondo of Blood.

The idea of not sucking at an old-style Castlevania confuses and frightens me.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

How classy of me.

It's okay, I would eat cream cheese with a spoon, if I were provided with a tub of cream cheese. And a spoon.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Aegis wrote: »
    So I'm torn on picking up Eternal Sonata. It seems to be a really interesting high concept (a musical-allegory RPG played inside Frederic Chopin's fevered dreams as he lies dying), but insofar as I can tell, it kind of falls flat in trying to do anything really interesting with it.

Not intended if there was. I would have been all lame and obvious and used "tempo" or "beat" or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Not intended if there was. I would have been all lame and obvious and used "tempo" or "beat" or something.
    The "flat" makes it look like a possibility.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Ah. Bolded what I initially seen anyway. This talk of music is making me want to pick up some sheet music and find some access to a piano...somewhere.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, I started a subscription to Play magazine. I remember enjoying it and thinking that they had an interesting approach vis a vis "games as art," but I'm finding myself getting annoyed at their really heavy pro-Japanese game bias. It's like their editor is Ketchum_Ash or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

How classy of me.

It's okay, I would eat cream cheese with a spoon, if I were provided with a tub of cream cheese. And a spoon.

Haha.

Seriously though, if you take mediocre mexican food and dump sour cream on it I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

How classy of me.

You could go for, like, chevre or something. That way you can shovel cheese into your gob like an Arkansas housewife only act all classy about it.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    ...Not sure why, but I'm in the mood for Gershwin.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh Christ, I love chevre. And have actually eaten it with a spoon. :oops:

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm, it doesn't appear that my normal method of chewing gum to keep from throwing up is going to work today. I should probably just go home.

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.