Options

Dwarf Fortress: Fishing interrupted by carp

• Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Zerinan wrote: »
    Is there a Boatmurdered take turns type game going on now? If not, I think it would be fun to start one, mainly because reading that story is the reason I decided to try Dwarf Fortress. All the crazy stuff you can do with it is just awesome, and if only I could actually manage to do any of that, it would be great.

There's SUPPOSED to be, but I don't have any idea who's running Tinbolt right now.

It's supposed to be jdarksun...

Is there a list or something for it, once it continues?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    4 miners? I sometimes bring 3 if I'm in a hurry, but 4? Yikes. Don't need woodcutter, don't need herbalist unless there's no soil/above ground river/big pond/freshwater lake on the starting site, only need 2 farming types a grower/cook and a grower/brewer if you micromanage them with quarry bush, and sweet potatoes or something to brew for drinks.

Oh right, bring 20 leather hides for bags if you're going for quarry bush, they can use up a ton of bags. Also, a copper bar + charcoal = copper battle ax, and it's only 20 points vs the 300 for a steel battle ax.

And bauxite rocks for magma safe mechanisms if you're not sure the area has any.

So:

Proficient Miner
    Proficient Miner
    Proficient Planter/Proficient Cook
    Proficient Planter/Proficient Brewer
    Proficient Mason 10/Proficient Building Designer 10
    Proficient Carpenter 10/Proficient Axedwarf 10 (Woodcutting goes up fast by itself)
    Novice all the social and trade skills you can cram in.

And one more thing, make sure your dude with the social/trade skills likes iron or something simple, not lay pewter or adamantite, since he has a better chance (I think) of being chosen for expedition leader, and turns into mandate making mayor at 50 pop. The last thing you want is some douche going "Man, sure wish I had an adamantite thong."

tgbob on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elves just traded me a black bear. Awesome

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    tgbob wrote: »
    4 miners? I sometimes bring 3 if I'm in a hurry, but 4? Yikes. Don't need woodcutter, don't need herbalist unless there's no soil/above ground river/big pond/freshwater lake on the starting site, only need 2 farming types a grower/cook and a grower/brewer if you micromanage them with quarry bush, and sweet potatoes or something to brew for drinks.

I brought 4 miners on my latest project, for a good reason. With my first immigrant wave I bumped it up to 7 miners.

The 4 original miners were legendary before the first winter. ;)

Gonna take me weeks to build this fort but I felt a need to do something crazy, so I am. Will be slowed down by the fact I will be spending the next 5 days away from a computer.

xzzy on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elves just traded me a black bear. Awesome

The Elves brought me one as well. I now have it thanks to the Goblins which ran down the entire Elven caravan.

Something strange about the idea of a black bear walking into the dining room.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Can I sign up for Tinbolt on the wiki or here?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The way I see it, a list with turns set in stone is what's making the game delay so damn long. I say give the next turn to whoever can get it done the fastest, fairness be damned.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did manage to go through the first year in just a day, but that was with the 7 dwarves. I'm sure having a full blow civilization would slow things down a lot. There isn't an actual list of who is next on the wiki anyway.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Stupid bad advice

I mind farted. See if you can spot the horrible advice!
    Copper bar + charcoal - anvil = lawl

tgbob on
  • Options
    SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Stupid bad advice

I mind farted. See if you can spot the horrible advice!
    Copper bar + charcoal - anvil = lawl

I saw that, I was going to make a reply post about my thoughts on it, but then I got asked to do arenas in World of Warcraft, and I just got out. :P

Another thing I was going to say was, yeah. A lot of the places I've been playing in have not had any major source of water above ground. I've spent the better part of my early games recently attempting to find an underground river recently when I was confronted with a completely lack of water.

Samoris on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So it appears that you can use charcoal as a building material. Anyone know what color it yields?

jothki on
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am like, waiting for my first fortress to die.
    I'm surprised it made it this far, year 7!
    I'm sure the first siege is going to break it. I'm sure, it has to.

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    So it appears that you can use charcoal as a building material. Anyone know what color it yields?

It's a dark grey.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok this health care thing is pissing me off. Nobody is feeding them at all.
    I have like 4 peasants assigned to only do health care and they just sit around.
    Arrrghgrhgghrghrghghrggh

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok this health care thing is pissing me off. Nobody is feeding them at all.
    I have like 4 peasants assigned to only do health care and they just sit around.
    Arrrghgrhgghrghrghghrggh

Do you have any non-cooked food? Like plain plump helmets? Apparently they won't feed cripples prepared meals.

Stregone on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ... That explains so much about dwarven society.

"Here's your dinner. What, can't fit it in your mouth little cripple? CHEW HARDER, WORM. LICK IT OR STARVE, THE RIND MIGHT HAVE SOME LINGERING NUTRITIONAL VALUE!" *hits the dwarf with the plump helmet, dumps a bucket of water on his head*

"I think he's getting better."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had an injured dwarf that no one was feeding or giving water to. All my buckets were sitting in carpenter workshops, so I made a furniture stockpile just for buckets. The buckets were moved out, and the injured dwarf was cared for immediately thereafter.

Coincidence?

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    02/28/2008: It'll now change the name of the Age you are in based on what's happened in a rudimentary fashion. This includes after generation -- I had a completed pocket world go from the Age of <titan name> to the Elven Age to the Age of Dwarves as a direct result of my play decisions. The second transition was somewhat brutal. The world was covered by a good forest, but that didn't mean any elves needed to live there. At this point, larger worlds stay in the Age of Myth during generation because none of the megabeasts/powers die. I'm going to try to get them involved (and sometimes dead) during world generation before the next release, as part of world gen wars/conflict. Ultimately, you'll be able to stop the clock early if you want to keep a lot of them around, but I don't know if I'll get to that this time around.

The Age of Carp has begun!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A mother had her arm broken during an ambush. The baby is crawling around the entryway to my fortress, taking care to fall into any channels I've built for defensive purposes, and occasionally having my farmers feed it.
    babylv0.png

That should make any future invaders think twice.

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    well i'm totally drunk.

perfect time to lead my dwarves to great heights

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Between the quote concerning the most awesome world generator ever envisioned and the feral dwarf trench baby, is there any doubt that this is the single coolest game in human history?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I got these from the official forum, I can't remember the name of the person who posted them but all credit goes to him.
    page1dv0.png
    page2yk9.png

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lol nice.

fuck those elves.

also fuck masons who make legendary floodgates.

bitch is going to be slow as fuck the rest of his life

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like the image of a four foot tall dwarf carrying around a 15 foot tall floodgate covered with spikes made of kitten bone and hanging rings of pig tail cloth.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey where do you extract pregenerated maps to?

The new world creation lags out my shitty computer, and I can't play DF 'cos I can't find out where to put the maps.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    open your dwarf fortress folder, extract them to data -> save

if the folder doesn't exist already just make a new one, name it save, and put it there

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm giving this another shot, and doing better this time, and actually enjoying it a bit.

My first problem seems to be that I've zoned out a room as a meeting hall and now nobody does any fucking work. Well, some people do, but my mason has decided all he does is sleep and sit in the meeting hall all day. Can I get this prick to make some doors or do I have to shutdown the meeting hall?

edit.. oh shit nm.. like 2 mins after posting he finally decided to go make the doors.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I survived my first siege!!

I ended up building a bunker outside my main entrance for good measure, and when those damn gobbos came rushing, we shot the hell outta them. We only lost 2 dorfs that fight, a recruit and a marksdwarf.

My first fort will survive yet!
    Hurrah! Gleemetals!

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xzzy lost the most recent election to Synthetic Orange. This will be SynthO's second term in office. It's understandable that SynthO got in, though, she has like a dozen friends, whereas the rest would be lucky if they even had two.

An ambush came too, but it was quickly ended. Xzzy the DualSwordMaster and Tgbob the Hammerlord, supported by Dkarrde the Marksdwarf, were waiting at the gates, so the Goblins really didn't have much of a chance. The leader marched his squad towards my gate, and by all means they were doing quite a good job of this marching thing. Until, of course, an iron bolt had the nerve to break the leader's right arm. Such is life. The next two iron bolts wormed into the Gobbo leader's abdomen, damaging various organs. Next, a rather rude Steel War Hammer wielded by tgbob pummeled the leader's face.

The squad, evidently all educated Goblin gentlemen, took offense at this rudeness and attempted to administer discipline. Their attempt failed, and in a violent cloud of blood, gore and broken monocles, the Goblin squad was decimated by Xzzy and Tgbob, with Dkarrde throwing a few bolts in too.

EDIT: And newly drafted into my most undignified military is Blast, the Dual Hammerdwarf.
    I survived my first siege!!

I ended up building a bunker outside my main entrance for good measure, and when those damn gobbos came rushing, we shot the hell outta them. We only lost 2 dorfs that fight, a recruit and a marksdwarf.

My first fort will survive yet!
    Hurrah! Gleemetals!

Congrats man. Sieges can be nasty business (especially when a caravan gets caught in the middle of one).

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    D: As soon as I congratulate myself a goblin horde arrives and almost topples my fort.
    After a military loss I was forced to conscript all my dorfs to defend the motherland, after a bloody battle and the loss of my expedition leader. We were victorious.

Sadly, yotes fell to the horde, same as with IAmTheRad..
    However, IAmTheRad gained Champion status and probably saved my fortress before being felled by the swarm of goblin hammers and lashers. A tomb is being erected in his honor.

However, today is still a sad day, for we lost many dorfs.

:'(

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The way I design my aquifer pumps seems not to work in the new version. This has caused some very large problems, very quickly.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just realised how horribly effective my defensive wall is. A siege of ten goblins tried to attack my fortress, but as they approached my gates my dwarven crossbowmen picked off 5 of them in a matter of seconds and the rest fled.

I expect them to come again soon, and in greater numbers. I guess I will see how the skill of my dwarven crossbowmen matches up with the goblins.

Also, I just noted that some of my marksdwarves are carrying both mail and plate. Do the defensive bonuses stack?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Operation Puppy Pâté is going just as planned.
    The Stray puppy (tame) has been struck down.
    x10
    D: As soon as I congratulate myself a goblin horde arrives and almost topples my fort.
    After a military loss I was forced to conscript all my dorfs to defend the motherland, after a bloody battle and the loss of my expedition leader. We were victorious.

Sadly, yotes fell to the horde, same as with IAmTheRad..
    However, IAmTheRad gained Champion status and probably saved my fortress before being felled by the swarm of goblin hammers and lashers. A tomb is being erected in his honor.

However, today is still a sad day, for we lost many dorfs.

:'(

Oh man, awesome.
    Vic wrote: »
    I just realised how horribly effective my defensive wall is. A siege of ten goblins tried to attack my fortress, but as they approached my gates my dwarven crossbowmen picked off 5 of them in a matter of seconds and the rest fled.

I expect them to come again soon, and in greater numbers. I guess I will see how the skill of my dwarven crossbowmen matches up with the goblins.

Fortifications are absolutely wonderful. Even a siege will be picked apart pretty badly by a few crossbows behind a fortification.
    Also, I just noted that some of my marksdwarves are carrying both mail and plate. Do the defensive bonuses stack?

I'm not sure about this. They wearing it on the same body part, yeah? I'd think the defensive bonus would stack, but that's just me.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So, a squad of six Gobbo Maces attacked the caravan while they were at my very conveniently placed outdoor trade depot. The guards of the caravan easily dispatched of them. Then things got at little more complicated when a squad of seven Goblin Crossbowmen struck.

They crept up slowly, making sure not to draw attention to themselves. When they were roughly sixteen tiles away, they opened fire upon the caravan, which was still safely nestled in the trade depot. The first salvo was fired with little concern for aim. Goblin suppression fire, if you will. Most of the Iron Bolts flew wide or hit inanimate objects.

The single Marksdwarf guarding the wagon laughed psychotically at this embarrassing display of marksmanship and returned fire, killing a Goblin instantly. Unwavered by this frightening display of skill and psychosis, the Gobbos returned fire, this time even more wildly, again doing very little significant damage. The Marksdwarf continued firing and laughing like a maniac, accurately firing Steel Bolts which all pierced the organs of the Goblins. Four Gobbos had fallen by the time the rest retreated. Aside from a few broken arms and mangled hands, the caravan was okay.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I cleverly excused myself from military duty, leaving my comrades to die and got elected Mayor?

Excellent.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I cleverly excused myself from military duty, leaving my comrades to die and got elected Mayor?

Excellent.

I think it's a "Lesser of Two Evils" thing, really. Two dwarves had already died for not fulfilling a mandate under Xzzy's rule.

That and you're just so damn friendly.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god, masterpiece steel crossbow. That is going to rip goblins up something bad.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh god, masterpiece steel crossbow. That is going to rip goblins up something bad.

Those things shoot like they're a machine gun. Make sure you have an ammo supply near wherever you station that marksdwart. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    lol nice.

fuck those elves.

also fuck masons who make legendary floodgates.

bitch is going to be slow as fuck the rest of his life

Dwarves won't carry around artifacts in the latest version. Which is nice.. because building those floodgates and statues adds a huge amount of wealth to your fortress.

xzzy on