As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Master Phalla Thread

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, it's different. But it will probably be the last phalla I ever host, and maybe my last participation in phalla ever, so I want to do something different and go out with an epic bang. As opposed to a BANG!

Locus on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Locus wrote: »
    Yeah, it's different. But it will probably be the last phalla I ever host, and maybe my last participation in phalla ever, so I want to do something different and go out with an epic bang. As opposed to a BANG!

But... but why?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Rend wrote: »

But... but why?
    Going to law school. I don't anticipate having much time for anything that first year. D:

Locus on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

But... but why?
    Going to law school. I don't anticipate having much time for anything that first year. D:

But playing phalla is a lot less time consuming than letting off steam by playing videogames. I mean, you need to unwind every now and then, my man!

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    But playing phalla is a lot less time consuming than letting off steam by playing videogames. I mean, you need to unwind every now and then, my man!
    I plan on becoming an alcoholic.

General announcement: I know it's a long way off, but I would like to have at least one, and preferably two, co-hosts to help me with this phalla of mine. It's still at least five months away, but what I have in mind will require a lot of planning and a lot of writing, so dividing the work is pretty much a necessity. Only requirements are that you enjoy music and can think outside the box.

Locus on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tis the season... Gremlins is on right now, and Gremlins 2 is after it. Excellent.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I will not lie, I am really looking forward to the Gremlins mini.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I plan on becoming an alcoholic.

General announcement: I know it's a long way off, but I would like to have at least one, and preferably two, co-hosts to help me with this phalla of mine. It's still at least five months away, but what I have in mind will require a lot of planning and a lot of writing, so dividing the work is pretty much a necessity. Only requirements are that you enjoy music and can think outside the box.

I would be more than happy to assist in such a noble endeavor.

Rend on
  • Options
    Prinny TribunalPrinny Tribunal Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Locus; deal. :P

Prinny Tribunal on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Er, whoops. Forgot I was on as the prinnies.

I'll help out.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have to ask a mods permission to make an alt account for my game right? Who do I ask?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Alright, you're both in. Let me work on my prospectus. Yes, there's a prospectus.

I think when I unveil the general theme you will see the awesome potential it has.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have to ask a mods permission to make an alt account for my game right? Who do I ask?

I think you just PM thinatos saying: "Starting my phalla. Registering an alt named rofllulz. kthx!"

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    For my alt Idi Admin I just PM'd Tube somewhere around noon, so he would know I would be mocking him.

My phalla in D&D will have a sign up thread on Saturday. 40 players, 20-something roles, theme: forums. Be there or be squared!

Aldo on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I could use two more players for my phalla here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=44200

and if anyone wants to sign up as a reserve, that would be nice as well. <_<>_>

Aldo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This one's mostly an FYI for the narrators out there:

Since us Phallites now have a board of some sort, and considering understandable worries such as tuxkamen's about losing the narrations and writings he's put obscene amounts of work into, with respective GM approval, I'd like to start archiving narrations from key games at the Phalla Secret Santa MB.

It wouldn't present the complete experience of the game, per se, but at least the GM's writings would survive, or something.

Does this seem feasible, or is it preferable to keep narrations within the context of the game they're from, and not as a separate entity?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Since us Phallites now have a board of some sort, and considering understandable worries such as tuxkamen's about losing the narrations and writings he's put obscene amounts of work into, with respective GM approval, I'd like to start archiving narrations from key games at the Phalla Secret Santa MB.

It wouldn't present the complete experience of the game, per se, but at least the GM's writings would survive, or something.

Does this seem feasible, or is it preferable to keep narrations within the context of the game they're from, and not as a separate entity?
    I'm not sure stashing them on a proboard is the best way to save them for generations to come. We're just talking about text files, right? It may be neater to store them on someone's website or something? I mean, it would look neater and it would be better protected than in the database of proboards.

Aldo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I'm not sure stashing them on a proboard is the best way to save them for generations to come. We're just talking about text files, right? It may be neater to store them on someone's website or something? I mean, it would look neater and it would be better protected than in the database of proboards.

Good point; it's not the best method around, but it's all I could think of for the moment.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    On a forum full of nerds, there must be someone with a few MB of webspace available? ;)

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have an excess of webspace if people want to archive the narrations on a site. I agree Proboards isn't exactly great for posterity.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    So who thinks I should change my game to a massive version of PhallAWESOME

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You have to sufficiently warn people up front that the game is entirely not balanced and could end quickly. Otherwise your game is the very definition of a joke game that is strictly prohibited on the forums.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was kidding

Ardor you do hate fun, don't you

my game wasn't unbalanced, it was just intended to end in 2 days

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zot wrote: »
    I was kidding

Ardor you do hate fun, don't you

my game wasn't unbalanced, it was just intended to end in 2 days

Please do me a favor and point out exactly where you intended to tell people about this in your OP and opening narration.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=3453975&postcount=274

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=3445332&postcount=1

Again, if you inform people about what the game will entail, that's one thing. If you don't then you fall under the quoted rule above.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I figure since it will be more than a year until it would be my turn anyway I'll sign up with my idea. Bomberman64. I'll figure out how to make it work somehow.:mrgreen:

Zellpher on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What is the general opinion of a phalla that is themeless? Or, to be more precise, an apparently insane mish-mash of themes, with the roles being from an (and what I'm worried about along with other things is that this will be irritating) ecclectic amount of sources?

It would not be a classic and would have semi-hidden mechanics.

Honestly I'd rather run a small version as a mini (though I'm not making a claim on a spot, anyone with a plan please disregard this, I am not ready to run a game).

A knee-jerk opinion will suffice honestly, as I don't have much down on paper.
    Hmm

I am but a simple country boy, but in the interest of keeping this thread clipping along as intended I suggest we not dwell on and be angry at what are of course obviously mistakes.

Hopefully for the most part every phalla (or even mini-phallas) have had more than one person examine their mechanics for fairness and enjoyableness for its participants. Phalla is a game, and so the enjoyment factor of the players is surely the key factor to those who make them.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the entire point of a game master's endeavor. What silly person would make a game nobody would enjoy?

This person would have to be unrealistically silly, let us not concern ourselves with this hypothetical very silly person.

We are all very noble men and women who take pride in the constructs of our intelligence, so we do not have to worry about that.

Also I know about thread derailments, being an SEer. And this is an on-topic thread I believe.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am also in a sort of similar situation with Seriously. I have ideas and roles from certain themes but there is no way I could base a phalla around one of these themes. So I am also asking if people would play a phalla centred around no particular theme but with themed roles.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Stew_Stick wrote: »
    I am also in a sort of similar situation with Seriously. I have ideas and roles from certain themes but there is no way I could base a phalla around one of these themes. So I am also asking if people would play a phalla centred around no particular theme but with themed roles.
    as long as the actual game is fun, I don't really care about the theme anyway. The seers mini and Set mini didn't have a real theme as well, and both of those were fantastic.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I haven't seen any miniphallas for a while

Wasn't there a big lineup like 2 weeks ago?

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Psycholarry ran one during the last phalla.

Things were going okay but Drez's stutter-start seems to have thrown things out of whack.

There should be a bunch of people with minis ready to go.

Locus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Things were going okay but Drez's stutter-start seems to have thrown things out of whack.

I'm still not clear on our current system. Is it 'first come first serve, PM the current GM'?

Rend on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm still not clear on our current system. Is it 'first come first serve, PM the current GM'?

Precisely.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Should we get our own forum for this?

:D

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Niceguy Myeye PMed me with a concept, so far as I know, he's 'next' in line, but I guess that's The Monarch's call now.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I already talked to Grundl about running one, followed by Niceguy. Grundl's fine with it, and...
    Well, I haven't actually gotten around to it, I was just trying to send my basic ideas out to see if they'd fly. I haven't set it up or asked to be on a list yet.

So really, it's Niceguy's call. If he still wants to prep for the slot, that works, else I'll take it. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, there's also the seasonal insanity Infidel & I are planning, but whatever works. :P More time to work out the madness.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, whoever is up go during the current game.

As I mentioned earlier, speak up if you don't want me and CJ running a mini in between Christmas and New Years or something. There won't be a main phalla running so I figured we could fill the gap, and it's highly appropriate given the theme. :)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, whoever is up go during the current game.

As I mentioned earlier, speak up if you don't want me and CJ running a mini in between Christmas and New Years or something. There won't be a main phalla running so I figured we could fill the gap, and it's highly appropriate given the theme. :)

I might run one around then, too.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to run a santa based game strictly for newbies with as vanilla of rules as possible.

I'm thinking of starting signups -insert relatively soon time here-, and not ending them until we have 14 new players (new = < 3 games)

Unknown User on
This discussion has been closed.