As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not gonna cry... not this time! (Movies)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've teared up at some episodes of The Office.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not full fledged crying, but teary-eyed moments....

Philadelphia:
    The opera scene. Tom Hanks' character is dying, withering away before our eyes. IV pole in hand, he describes the aria currently playing in the background to Denzel Washington's lawyer character. Hanks slowly moves about the room as this heartbreaking piece of music grows louder, more urgent:

"This is my favorite aria. This is Maria Callas. This is 'Andrea Chenier', Umberto Giordano. This is Madeleine. She's saying how during the French Revolution, a mob set fire to her house, and her mother died... saving her. 'Look, the place that cradled me is burning.' Can you hear the heartache in her voice? Can you feel it, Joe? In come the strings, and it changes everything. The music fills with a hope, and that'll change again. Listen... listen...'I bring sorrow to those who love me.' Oh, that single cello! 'It was during this sorrow that love came to me.' A voice filled with harmony. It says, 'Live still, I am life. Heaven is in your eyes. Is everything around you just the blood and mud? I am divine. I am oblivion. I am the god... that comes down from the heavens, and makes of the Earth a heaven. I am love!... I am love.'"

At the climax, Hanks, again, withered, IV pole in hand, clenches his eyes and raises his head in a moment of bittersweet triumph. It's haunting, and always gets to me. That, and when Denzel, after a long night of preparing Hanks for the trial, climbs into bed with his wife, and the aria is still playing in the background.

The Shield:
    The fucking blanket party. The split second of absolute terror when Julien knows exactly what's going to happen to him. The sheer violence of the act.

Bicycle Thieves:
    This is a movie set in, and filmed in, post-WWII Italy (1947 or 1948). I believe it was one of the first films showing the dire conditions in post-war Europe. The plot centers around a poor man who just got a new job putting posters up on the walls of Rome. In order to do his job efficiently, he is given a bicycle by his employer. Obviously, the bike is stolen. The man and his son go on a search for the bike.

This isn't an adventure movie. It's very realistic, and somewhat harsh. It's been years since I've seen it, so the ending escapes me (I can't remember if the man gets his bike back or not), but I remember it being a very moving film despite its simplicity (or, perhaps, because of its simplicity). The father/son dynamic is very realistically portrayed, and is given extra weight because of the father's frantic need to find his bike -- his livelihood, manhood, and pride -- back in the face of near absolute poverty and hopelessness. It's not an "entertaining" movie. It's definitely not something that is to be watched while distracted by popcorn and soda. But it is an excellent movie.

Finally, Saved By The Bell:
    When Zack and Kelly break up. That hit me hard when I first saw it.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    urbmanurbman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Beaches of Normandy Scene from Saving Private Ryan gets me everytime,

For multiple reasons,

A) My grandfather fought in WW2
    B)Just the Sheer Magnitude of that scene
    C)
    The guy on the beach crying for his mother with his stomach hanging out.

urbman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Transformers
    Nothing spoilery; just seeing it on the big screen and realizing that, while not a perfect movie, it was a fine homage to something I loved in my childhood. Seeing Optimus Prime transform (and hearing the faint echo of the old cartoon sound for doing so in the background) gets me every time.

I cried after that movie for entirely different reasons.

That was your inner child being violated.

Apparently having very, very low expectations shielded me from crushing disappointment.

I'll have to save that for future reference.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Another vote for Shawshank Redemption. I saw it for the first time ever this week (I know, I'm a freak) on a flight back from Japan and sobbed like an idiot for the last 25 mins or so.

Hazz on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    deowolf wrote: »
    I used to tell people that the scene in Dead Poets Society where Neil puts on his Puck-crown for the last time
    and shoots himself
    made me cry, but it never did. I just wanted people to think I'm not some emotionless robot. Does that make me bad?

Hahah, that's class.

Oddly enough, films are literally the only thing that can make me cry unbidden, and I suspect now even that is untrue, since it only happens when there is nobody else around.

Except for one moment in E.T. of all things, which I'm betting I don't have to spoiler. Not actually the classic moon moment, but the end of the final bike chase, when ET closes his eyes as the cops close in & they all take off...gets me every fcuking time. If there is anyone else present, I yawn and pretend my eyes are watering. ;-)

E.T. aside, it's interesting to see which films / moments get people. I tend to be more for the optimistic / epic / stoic bits than sad ones (ie Rohhirrim charging down the slope in TTT, beacons being lit in ROTK, end of Shawshank, Circle of Life in the Lion King, and so on), yet I'm a cynical bastard at the best of times. Similarly, cheery friends always go at the obviously sentimental / sad parts like Bambi's mother getting a vivectomy.

Are we all putting on a face & lying to the world?

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LoTR: Return of the King:

I cried when Theoden died, and then again at the end. In the theatre. My sister-in-law looked over and started laughing, and then my wife started giggling as well. They have no souls.

The Iron Giant:

If you don't cry at "Sooooooperman" then there's something seriously wrong with you and you need to go to a shrink.

I get pretty teary when watching stuff on The Learning Channel about sick kids too. Lousy sick kids... my wife always sees me fighting the waterworks and starts giggling, and then she tells me that the kids are going to be alright.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yes, but of all the souls I've encountered in my travels, ours are the most...human.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Werdna wrote: »
    The Pursuit of Happyness and Crash are the two worst movies to have been posted here. The only thing that I could understand anyone crying over from those movies is the sheer torture of having to watch them again.

My cheesy picks are The Cure, Chinatown, My Left Foot, and The Cider House Rules.
    I'm sorry you can't appreciate film that has a deeper narration. Your life is truly poorer for this.
    urbman wrote: »
    The Beaches of Normandy Scene from Saving Private Ryan gets me everytime,

For multiple reasons,

A) My grandfather fought in WW2
    B)Just the Sheer Magnitude of that scene
    C)
    The guy on the beach crying for his mother with his stomach hanging out.
    Saving Private Ryan has a lot of moments, but
    Caparzo (Vin Disel) dying gets me every time.

I cried when
    Theoden died
    , and then again at the end. In the theatre. My sister-in-law looked over and started laughing, and then my wife started giggling as well. They have no souls.

The Iron Giant:

If you don't cry at
    "Sooooooperman"
    then there's something seriously wrong with you and you need to go to a shrink.

I get pretty teary when watching stuff on The Learning Channel about sick kids too. Lousy sick kids... my wife always sees me fighting the waterworks and starts giggling, and then she tells me that the kids are going to be alright.
    Hello, my name is the spoiler button. I look like an action comic speech balloon with a :!: inside. Highlight portions of movies that give away plot or results, then click me!

Satan. on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yes, but of all the souls I've encountered in my travels, ours are the most...human.

I find most sociopaths typically opt for this defense.

Just saying.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Love Actually:
    ... But to me you are perfect

More Lord of the Rings ones, but ones that have not yet been mentioned:
    -In Fellowship when Sam walks into the river, determined not to let Frodo leave.

-Return of the King, "I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!" I know that it's pretty cheesy, but it gets me every time.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Braveheart
    FREEEEDDDDDDOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!

Hope Floats
    When Bernice's dad comes back for the funeral and is trying to leave and Bernice wants to go with him. He doesn't want her to go because he needs time with his new woman. She says "but you want me, you said you want me." Then he just drives off with her screaming and crying in the middle of the road. That little girl had some acting chops. It still gets me.

And sorry it's not movie related but the very last Calvin & Hobbes made me sad. Not teary eyed or anything but it was the first REAL comic I latched onto as a kid and it was sad to see him sled off into the distance.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

I find most sociopaths typically opt for this defense.

Just saying.

Sociopaths go for the Wrath of Kahn defense? Sweet. Sign me up at the local non-conformists union!

Just because we'd fail a Voigh-Kampff test doesn't mean we want everyone to know we're soulless bastards.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Warchild77 wrote: »
    Braveheart
    FREEEEDDDDDDOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!!

Hope Floats
    When Bernice's dad comes back for the funeral and is trying to leave and Bernice wants to go with him. He doesn't want her to go because he needs time with his new woman. She says "but you want me, you said you want me." Then he just drives off with her screaming and crying in the middle of the road. That little girl had some acting chops. It still gets me.

And sorry it's not movie related but the very last Calvin & Hobbes made me sad. Not teary eyed or anything but it was the first REAL comic I latched onto as a kid and it was sad to see him sled off into the distance.

I was curious to see what the last Calvin and Hobbes strip was, so I googled it. Surprisingly it's the one that i have for a wallpaper. I really like that strip, and it made me smile realizing it's the last one.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm glad that he stopped at the top of his game, and respect him even more now that I've read about his fight against merchandizing his brand, despite the Scrooge McDuck amounts of cash it would've made him.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I cried almost non-stop throughout Lorenzo's Oil.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Underdog wrote: »

Damn you! Damn you! Damn *sniff* you... I'd almost forgotten about that. Saw it in a re-run and it hit me hard.

Man I just lost it watching that

Will Smith has some chops, I tell you what

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    variant wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Fry's dog.

Fry's Brother too.

Totally agree. I saw the Brother episode with my little brother and we both were teary at the end.

I don't even have a brother, and I always tear up at that episode. Even when I try and describe the episode to others to explain why I'm blubbing when "it's just a cartoon".

I don't know whether it was the song or the fact that I was slightly frazzled after being awake for thirty-six hours before watching it, but the music video to "He Didn't Have to Be" by Brad Paisley had me blinking pretty hard.

It always seems to be the family stuff. Mufasa's death in The Lion King gets me as well.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    JaminoJamino Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lilo & Stitch
    When Lilo is telling Stitch how her parents died, "...it was raining, and they went for a drive." gets me every time.

There's something about the handling of certain issues in kid's movies that amplifies the effect i think.

Jamino on
  • Options
    WoldwardenWoldwarden Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I'm gonna say:

Dead Poets Society
    'Captain my captain' at the end.

Most of the other ones were brought up/reminded me about others (esp. Iron Giant), but here's one no one else has brought up:

Serenity
    When Book dies
    River's 'Now it's my turn'
    The funeral at the end
    (Wash was too sudden, more of a shock)

Not a movie, but Firefly:
    Almost the entire last part of 'The Message'
    "When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you."

Woldwarden on
    -Woldwarden
    Smashing Menites since '04
    Also specializing in Horde Removal.
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    From my immediate library, most have been brought up, so let's see.

No one mentioned Schindler's List but I think it's sort of a given at some points (the near-riot when the trucks leave, the announcement by Mr. Schindler that the war is over). I cried a few times watching John Q but I think the film was specifically designed to do just that, because it doesn't really float on any other merits. To Kill a Mockingbird has some wonderful oh my god children are so innocent moments-- those are good for a sob.

Also, Gattaca, towards the end the first time I watched it and now during the prelude when I watch it again (because I know! I know!), but especially at the end when he talks to the doctor.
    Then again, who knows what he could be!

... whew. :cry:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Empire of the Sun
    At the end, when Jim's mother recognizes him in the crowd and the first notes of Suo Gan kick in. Every. Fucking. Time.

The Shawshank Redemption
    At the end, when Red meets Andy down on the beach.

HEAT
    At the end, when Neil holds his hand up to Vincent and Vincent takes it, and just holds it there while Neil dies.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I cried when Theoden died, and then again at the end. In the theatre. My sister-in-law looked over and started laughing, and then my wife started giggling as well. They have no souls.

The Iron Giant:

If you don't cry at "Sooooooperman" then there's something seriously wrong with you and you need to go to a shrink.

Hello, my name is the spoiler button. I look like an action comic speech balloon with a :!: inside. Highlight portions of movies that give away plot or results, then click me!

C'mon. Like there's anyone on this board who hasn't seen LoTR and plans on seeing it in the future. Somebody already gave away the ending a couple pages ago. And somebody already mentioned the scene from the Iron Giant. Go metamod somewhere else.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    horatio77horatio77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A few of the movies mentioned so far have left me with damp eyes, but there's only one that has gotten me to openly cry at the theater:

Dancer in the Dark
    At the end, after having lost nearly everything she loves, just before she is executed she finds out her son's vision has been saved.

If it had ended any other way I would have hated the film. I can't stand movies that just beat up on the protagonist and leave them with nothing in the end. This is why I hated Chinatown, and loved Dancer. My wife and I have an ongoing fight over these two movies.

horatio77 on
    To thine own self be true;
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fox and the Hound
    When she lets the fox go...WTF!!

I distinctly remember my 3 year old sister bawling her eyes out at that scene, and I was laughing at her b/c i was the macho 8 year old. (I was really dying on the inside though...what the fuck kind of kids movie is that???)

Chronicles of Narnia
    At the end when aslan is announcing the queens and kings. When he says Peter the Magnificent and the music swells - i don't cry - but its definetly moving.

Pay it forward - two parts
    Kevin Spacey retelling how he got his scars

and
    obviously the ending. I didn't see it coming until right up to when the camera starts getting frenzied between the bullies, haley, and spacey/hunt running down the spiral walk way. I just remember clutching a pillow saying "now fucking way this kid dies"...

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I confess, I cried really fucking hard at the end of Donnie Darko. I don't know why...I just did.

Also, in LOTR
    The bit with the Steward eating and (Pippin, right? Haven't seen it in a while) singing as his son is pretty much sent to die makes me choke up

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    White Squall also makes me cry.

Medopine on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I officially hate everyone who posted in this thread. I got choked up reading the thrice-damned discriptions.

I stay far, far away from movies like this... I don't just cry a little, I'm literally depressed for days on end. I watched Romeo and Juliet... my parents thought something was seriously wrong with me I was so down. I think my love of mindless action is a coping mechanism.

Falx on
  • Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pretty much Forest Gump:
    from the part where he is serving Jenny breakfast in bed when she is sick, and she asks him if he was ever scared, and it starts that montage.....Yeah, I am full on, water faucets for eyesockets, from Jenny:"I wish I could have been there with you to see it" Forrest: "You were" - till the end of the movie. Sometimes I just turn it off right at the point her and Forrest are walking hand in hand with Little Forrest so I dont have to embarrass myself yet again after watching that movie a hundred damn times and still crying.

God I love that movie so much. And Lt Dan....so many scenes that just give you that feeling in your gut. And Bubba of course.

Saving Private Ryan. Ending scene.

Rudy. Same.

Men of Honor.
    Carls father giving him the radio, and the reinstatement hearing.

There's been some others, but cant remember them right off the bat. Got too fucking choked up remembering all the Forrest Gump ones.

Marauder on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cyrano De Bergerac Gerard Depardieu version the end monologue destroys me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Two Brothers. You know, the one with the tiger cubs.

Most of it gets me, but one scene in particular makes me cry just thinking about it...
    The two tigers, fully-grown now - Sangha, a savage killer, and Kumal, a broken-willed circus animal - are put in a ring together to fight. Kumal has to be goaded into it, Sangha charges at him... then they recognize each other. There's some chaos (the humans want them to fight, the tigers are all "Hey, you know what? Fuck you, we've had enough of this," the humans flee in panic), then the tigers manage to escape the arena.

Sangha starts trotting off towards the jungle, but Kumal walks right back into his cage. He had been captive for so long, he had forgotten what freedom even was.
    Every time.

I'm a sucker for animal movies in general. Not talking animals, when they talk they just turn into slightly furrier humans; it's the very muteness of their suffering that affects me so much.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was showing my GF Hearts and Souls the other day because I remember watching it as a kid and when it got to the part where they've made up their about doing what's best for Young Robert Downey Jr. We were both crying like babies.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What Dreams May Come.

Really, the entire movie, but mostly:
    His son's eulogy.

I love that movie a lot, but I can't watch it too often. It really messes up my emotions for the rest of the day.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Man, I cry during Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at multiple points, and I don't fucking care who might think that is strange.
    Most Capra films get me a little misty, including the end of It's a Wonderful Life

edit: but I don't actually cry cry because I'm not a big blubbering vagina.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought the last scnee of About Schmidt was really touching.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh yeah, I cried at that one too.

Medopine on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aistan wrote: »
    What Dreams May Come.

Good one. That movie is really underrated.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Warchild77Warchild77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How could I forget Men of Honor?!?
    Damnit Cookie! I want my Twelve!

I clipped that last Calvin & Hobbes out of the paper and put it in a comic sleeve. Don't know why really as it probably isn't worth the paper it's printed on but I kept it anyway. Been 12 years now I guess.

Warchild77 on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Return of the King
    The lighting of the beacons to summon Rohan. I don't know why; it's just dudes lighting bonfires. But it's somehow very moving.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Brian888 wrote: »
    Return of the King
    The lighting of the beacons to summon Rohan. I don't know why; it's just dudes lighting bonfires. But it's somehow very moving.

The sheer beauty of those shots makes me cry, along with the music. Man I love mountains.

Medopine on