Options

I'm not gonna cry... not this time! (Movies)

• Options
    Twilight_PrinceTwilight_Prince Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Twilight_Prince on
    There is a thing worse than blindness. It is to look around you and find that there is no world for you to see.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Speaking of children's movies, the Neverending Story has always been emotional for me.

Towards the end, when Rockbiter says, "They look like big, strong hands, don't they? I always thought that's what they were."

Also-
    "Artex! ARTEX!!!"

Hell yes to the first one. That's always gotten to me.

This is kinda silly, but in The Incredibles:
    I'm not strong enough

tends to put me close to tears.

Hell, I only just realized how similar those two are. I wonder why that idea resonates with me so well.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    TigressTigress Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sliver wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies

Limed for fucking truth.

Also, I refuse to watch My Girl ever again because I will fall to pieces during the funeral scene. Trust me, watching me bawl like a baby over that scene is not a pretty sight.

I also can't watch Titanic without tearing up in the scene after the boat sinks. I used to cry every time I watched The Last Unicorn.

It's not a movie, but I finished watching Basilisk this weekend. I cried like a baby at the end.
    Oboro and Gennosuke are the last two ninja standing. Rather than fight the man she loves, Oboro kills herself. Gennosuke's eyes reopen just in time to watch her die. In order to restore honor to Oboro's clan, he writes on the scroll that her family won the series-long battle. Then he carries Oboro's body into the river and kills himself, landing in the same position their grandparents did at the beginning of the series.

Tigress on
    Kat's Play
    On the subject of death and daemons disappearing: arrows sure are effective in Lyra's universe. Seems like if you get shot once, you're dead - no lingering deaths with your daemon huddling pitifully in your arms, just *thunk* *argh* *whoosh*. A battlefield full of the dying would just be so much more depressing when you add in wailing gerbils and dogs.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Recently, of all things, SLC Punk.
    Only posers die!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Artificial Intelligence: A.I. the last scene when
    David just spends one final day with the mother, always made me cry. And always made me go hug my mom... I'll be back in a bit.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have never cried from a movie, or even really come close (been moved, yes, but not tears). But I've determined that I probably have no soul or something or else I wouldn't think most of the stuff in this thread is sentimental drivel (although I haven't seen most of the movies here anyway).

I second Rudy and The Truman Show for being powerful. At least, that's what I remember, I haven't watched them in a long time.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    PiRaTe!!! wrote: »
    The Presidents speech from Independence Day

Seriously?

That was my reaction. That speech was just jingoistic, patriotic bullshit distracted by Bill Pullman's squinty face and gruff, cardboard delivery.

I don't know, it just kind of got to me the first time I watched the movie.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind --- I guess more because I've had amazingly good relationships go sour. Also, not a spoiler or anything, the part where he's driving in the rain listening to Beck - Everybody's gotta learn sometime.

Crash:
    When the persian guy shoots the little girl, when the good cop shoots the black kid, when the persian guy tells his daughter about what happened and how "the angel" saved him from himself.

variant on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fry's dog.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blade Runner.
    Time... to die.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, from about the bird scene until the end of the movie.

I mean, fuck

YES. That movie is one of mine. Every time I watch it I'm absolutely amazed by it; it's like a jigsaw puzzle in the form of a seamless sphere, and every time I dismantle it I just get floored about how well all the elements, from the nonchronological parts of the story to the philosophical/spiritual themes to the cinematography, fit together.

Anyway, there are two parts that always stand out for me. First, towards the end of when Joel is locked inside his own mind:
    Joel realizes that running from Lacuna any more is just futile, and he decides to just enjoy his last moments (and memories) together with Clementine. When they find peace among the dismantling, the unmaking of Joel's mind, I find that a deeply spiritual moment. It gets me every time.

And a little while later:
    When real Joel and Clementine are listening to the Lacuna audio tapes; their dismay and confusion is so palpable you can practically feel their guts wrenching. They've gone from the giddy anticipation of a potential new relationship straight into the existential, Sisyphean horror that they may have repeated history once - or an uncountable number of times - before. Their worlds are being turned absolutely upside-down. It's like looking into a moment of Buddhist hell.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    variant wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind --- I guess more because I've had amazingly good relationships go sour.

I've gotten into relationships knowing that they would go sour, so the part at the end that goes:
    Joel: I don't see anything I don't like about you.
    Clementine: But you will! But you will, and I'll get bored with you and feel trapped, because that's what happens with me!
    Joel (shrugging): Okay.

...resonates with me, too.

Because I've had that moment, where I looked at a person and thought, "Shit, I know exactly how this relationship is going to go, I know exactly how the breakup is going to happen, and it's gonna be ugly. But fuck it, I have do to this if I'm going to grow. It's a chapter of my life I have to finish, I can't just edit it out because I don't like how it ends."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Only posers die!

Did you just see it? Matthew Lillard's best movie.
    I teared up, too.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Damn you! Damn you! Damn *sniff* you... I'd almost forgotten about that. Saw it in a re-run and it hit me hard.

Underdog on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Fry's dog.

Fry's Brother too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm not entirely sure why, but Spirited Away makes me get a little teary when
    Sen remembers Haku's real name.

Feral on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    SLC! Good one.
    Poor Heroin Bob. Fuck.

Satan. on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Only posers die!

Did you just see it? Matthew Lillard's best movie.
    I teared up, too.

Third or fourth time. Always gets me.

And I agree.

I love the comedy gold in the first half, but...

D:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure why, but Spirited Away makes me get a little teary when
    Sen remembers Haku's real name.
    I weep openly at that part, but I think I have more compelling reasons to than you. That sequence does have just so much magic though -- innocent love, the magic of something we all have, the relevance of the past to the present ... there's a whole lot of triggers there for people to latch onto. I think that most people could find an emotional anchor in that scene.

The name stuff in that film really does get to me. I have a name, too! It belongs to me. It's mine. :)

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Fry's dog.

Fry's Brother too.

Totally agree. I saw the Brother episode with my little brother and we both were teary at the end.

variant on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    iTunes of course does not carry the connie francis version of I will wait for you that played at the end of the fry's dog episode.

Where can I get it online?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Pursuit of Happyness and Crash are the two worst movies to have been posted here. The only thing that I could understand anyone crying over from those movies is the sheer torture of having to watch them again.

My cheesy picks are The Cure, Chinatown, My Left Foot, and The Cider House Rules.

Werdna on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Fry's dog.

Fry's Brother too.

Yes to both of these. I won't watch the episode with Fry's dog. That's just too fucking sad.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Go fuck yourself.

Your taste in movies is horrid, and you have no right to feel emotion about them.

Wasn't that fun?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Truman Show
    When he's sailing across the ocean and the forces of nature are beating down on him and he raises the sails in the face of adversity and struggles through. Gets me every time.
    Agreed. Actually, the scene right after, when
    the boat hits the "wall" just as he's starting to actually believe he's going to succeed and escape. As he slowly reaches for, and actually touches, this final barrier, you can see in his posture all of his hope disintegrate into frustration and despair. When he loses it and smacks it over and over, eventually slumping down in tears... Jesus.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used to tell people that the scene in Dead Poets Society where Neil puts on his Puck-crown for the last time
    and shoots himself
    made me cry, but it never did. I just wanted people to think I'm not some emotionless robot. Does that make me bad?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh good, nobody took mine.

Two scenes in Field of Dreams:
    When the doctor leaves the field to take care of the little girl. It actually didn't hit me that hard the first time I saw it, but every time I see it afterward, the tears just flow. I'm always like "no, don't do it, she's just choking get them to do the heimlich or something!" but he always leaves the field and baseball behind him. I guess what makes it so sad for me is that he wasn't able to do what he loved (baseball), but he devoted his whole life to helping other people. And finally, at the end of his life, he got to play baseball with the best, and it turned out he was pretty decent. And then, when faced with the choice of helping someone or sticking around and doing what he loves, he barely even hesitates to help someone, just the way he's always lived his life. Jesus, I tear up just thinking about it.
    The second one is at the end when his dad stays behind on the field, and they play catch.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    for some reason the last 3 times I saw Little Giants (I watch it when it's on cause I grew up with it) I cried at the end when the water tower changes to "the O'Shea Brothers".

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't think anyone has mentioned It's a Wonderful Life.

The ending (no spoilers) makes me sob. Not just cry. Noises, snot, little hoots of air.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Brian888 wrote: »
    The Iron Giant. You all know the part I'm talking about. "Sooooooperman."
    Man I just watched this scene on youtube right now and had to cover my face from my co-workers. Brad Bird is the man.

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Werdna wrote: »
    The Pursuit of Happyness and Crash are the two worst movies to have been posted here. The only thing that I could understand anyone crying over from those movies is the sheer torture of having to watch them again.

My cheesy picks are The Cure, Chinatown, My Left Foot, and The Cider House Rules.
    Wait up -- Chinatown? Are you for real with that shit?

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forget it, Celery, it's Chinatown!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    krapst78 wrote: »
    Brian888 wrote: »
    The Iron Giant. You all know the part I'm talking about. "Sooooooperman."

Man I just watched this scene on youtube right now and had to cover my face from my co-workers. Brad Bird is the man.

This.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Silent Running.

One of the first sci-fi films I ever saw and also the first time I can really remember crying- hell, bawling- because of a movie.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just want to put it out there that I have no fucking Idea how any one can consider the brother ep of futurama sad.

I just don't understand...

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I just want to put it out there that I have no fucking Idea how any one can consider the brother ep of futurama sad.

I just don't understand...

Sad in a good way. Heartwarming things make one cry as well!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Im a huge fan of Donnie Darko:
    When Gretchen shows up at donnie's door teary eyed. When she says: "Some people are born with tragedy in their blood", and when they walk down the stairs matching steps.

Also, I recently saw 1984:
    At the end, when Winston is at the height of being tortured and he yells out: "Do it to Julia!" OH man, its like Id been shot.

hesthefastest on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Big Fish and Truman Show are the only movies that get to me.

Though, I got sad at the end of The Lord of the Rings.

Nothing, nothing beats the Futurama episodes, though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Silent Running.

One of the first sci-fi films I ever saw and also the first time I can really remember crying- hell, bawling- because of a movie.

Oh Jesus Christ yes. I saw that when I was really young - must have been in the 70s. I didn't even know what it was, but I incorporated it into my internal dreamtime until years later when video happened and I saw it again.

Those poor robots!

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I feel very strange for bringing up two black and white movies but i'd have to say...

The Elephant Man
    EVERYTHING. I mean it's based on a true story. . . and it may be the most depressing story of all time.

Casablanca
    Maybe not a complete in tears moment but the film was heart wrenching. There was so much hope and then everything just gets fucked.

The Rules of Attraction (The Book or the movie)
    Basically everything from the suicide onward is just absolutely gripping. It helps that the score is fantastic. If I even begin to hear a hint of the theme played during that scene I spiral into deep melancholy. Fantastic and painfully realistic film.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png