As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What we need around here are some Good Eats

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Well i'd have to say Quizznos because i'm stuck on a campus.

Not to mention that Ohio isn't really known for a damn thing when it comes to cuisine. We just have imitations of everything a lot of promotional fast food.

I used to work at Quizno's.

Don't get the meatball sandwich.

Wait. What?

The policy for leftover meatballs is to put foil over them and put them in the back, then reheat them the next day. Very few meatball sandwiches get ordered per day. At one point we saved and reheated the same meatballs for over a week.

It grossed me out, especially since they weren't very good quality to begin with.

Also you're wrong, Edward. Ohio is known for certain foods. They're just not actually very good foods. Graeters Ice Cream, and "Cincinnati Chili" (code for spicy meat-sauce). The Skyline and Goldstar shit.

Edit: Oh and Chiquita bananas.

Edit 2: Actually more Chiquita's business practices and media influence.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    anthony_bourdain300.jpg

If Alton Brown is the King of Food Land, then this guy, Anthony Bourdain, is its ass-kicking enforcer.

His show, No Reservations, is fucking awesome as are his books.

The Nasty Bits is just filled with win.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    ElyEly Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey folks, first post.

I'd venture to say that Alton Brown is one of my favorite celebrities not just as a chef but as a personality. He's aware of his own cheese factor and purposefully uses it to make neat / dumb skits, many of which do serve the purpose of explaining his cooking well. I can see how his personality can be grating and annoying. Fortunately, it isn't for me. :P

Chefs I particularly dislike:

- Rachel Ray - she sounds like she smokes and drinks too much.
    - That one from Italian Home Cooking - 20 pounds of make up?
    - Mario Batali - I don't know what it is about this guy that makes me not like him. Maybe it's that he always wears shorts and crocs, both of which I find repulsive on a chef.
    - Bobby Flay - what a jerk. Anyone seen him on Iron Chef would know why.

Ely on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ely wrote: »

This makes her a bad chef? O_o

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    NewtonNewton Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anybody watch Americas Test Kitchen on PBS? That one just barely beats out Good Eats as my favorite cooking show. Their cookbooks are really great, too. Every recipe I've made out of their books has turned out perfectly.

Food network has been going downhill the last few years. They are really moving away from actual chefs like Batali, Sarah Moltain (sp?) and Ming Tsai and just sticking in cooks like racheal ray and sandra lee. I can't fucking stand their shows. At least they are keeping Alton around. He is really carrying that network now.

Newton on
  • Options
    SlayerCaitSlayerCait Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey folks, first post.

I'd venture to say that Alton Brown is one of my favorite celebrities not just as a chef but as a personality. He's aware of his own cheese factor and purposefully uses it to make neat / dumb skits, many of which do serve the purpose of explaining his cooking well. I can see how his personality can be grating and annoying. Fortunately, it isn't for me. :P

- That one from Italian Home Cooking - 20 pounds of make up?
    - Mario Batali - I don't know what it is about this guy that makes me not like him. Maybe it's that he always wears shorts and crocs, both of which I find repulsive on a chef.
    - Bobby Flay - what a jerk. Anyone seen him on Iron Chef would know why.

I hate Ray, Giatta, and Flay too...Batali is kinda funny and interesting though. Another one I can't stand is that Barefoot Contessa shit, she's so fucking boring. That's pretty much the only show I refuse to watch on Food Network. That and that Ace of Cakes guy...what a douche. If Ray or Giatta's show is on I stop and watch because sometimes they make neat stuff. Every time Giatta busts out with her accent I laugh my ass off.

SlayerCait on
    Girls will keep the secrets
    So long as boys make the noise
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Mario Batali is like some kind of incarnation of Bacchus. If you do not like him you are wrong. Just wrong. Sort your self out.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Aibyn wrote: »
    anthony_bourdain300.jpg

If Alton Brown is the King of Food Land, then this guy, Anthony Bourdain, is its ass-kicking enforcer.

I really dig this guy as well. I haven't seen as much of his show as I would like, but what I have seen of him I've like a lot. I remember seeing a commercial for No Reservations that showed him saying something about not caring what's in it, not caring if it's healthy, but just knowing that it's good and he must have it. Anybody that has that kind of a mantra is alright with me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey folks, first post.

This is really the main point of why I like his show I think (besides how awesome the food and food science stuff is) - all his little stories are purposefully corny but help him get good information across. Then you go over to something like "The Barefoot Contessa" or Giada and every day it's some stupid story about how they're throwing a dinner party for their friends, or their sister is coming over, or they're off to have a picnic, or something superfluous that just really grates on me. Just show me how to cook the damn food - i don't need to see a bunch of yuppies sitting around a table on a patio talking about how great it is.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

This makes her a bad chef? O_o

NON-SEQUITUR'D!!! But no seriously this time, her food is ridiculously easy to make. She doesn't really cook so much as just figure out shortcuts to cooking. Also, I'd like to add that she sounds like she smokes and drinks too much.

Mario Batali is like some kind of incarnation of Bacchus. If you do not like him you are wrong. Just wrong. Sort your self out.

I don't think the guy has any TV presence skills. His overly soft and feminine voice combined with a raspy undertone, his shorts, his fat gut, his crocs which he wears over his socks, his never having anything interesting to say, and his easy cooking make me give him the thumbs down. I watch cooking shows to learn to cook stuff I haven't before in an entertaining fashion. If I, in my three or four years of cooking experience am outdoing him technically and I find him as stimulating as still water with mosquito larvae growing in it, well, etc, you get the idea.

P.S. My favorite moment in Good Eats was when Alton waddled out in a styrofoam suit and stabbed himself to explain a science concept. I did a double take at first thinking "OH SHI- HE NEEDS TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW," but he turned out fine, and little white packing peanuts fell out of his costume and all was well in Atlanta GA.

Ely on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Christ, I hate Rachel Ray. She is one of the most annoying people I have ever heard in my entire life. HOWEVER. My aunt got me her cookbook for my birthday last year, and the recipes are 1.) fun, 2.) fast, 3.) interesting, and 4.) often consist of things my husband will actually eat (always a major consideration/limiting factor for me.) Some of the best ones I can think of from the top of my head were chicken burgers made up of ground chicken that you mix with parmesan and horseradish; a pasta dish with grape tomatoes, turkey bacon, olive oil, and cubed mozzarella; and baked broccoli coated in a sauce made with olive oil, garlic, and chili powder. Nyom.

If I had to name a local food specialty ... well, I guess I'll have to name a few. The Mexican restaurants operated by Actual Hispanic People are really good - El Rio Grande and Cancun are my two favorites - zomg chile rellenos! Cancun also has this amazing cactus-leaf enchilada which I could eat on a weekly basis with pleasure. Another area talent is for dessert. There's a mini-chain in Madison called Food Fight, Inc, that owns about 8 different restaurants of all different natures (Tex-Mex, seafood, a couple of different diners, a steak place, etc) - one of them, the Hubbard Avenue Diner, makes the most glorious pies in the world, which most of the other restaurants in the chain also carry. Caramel Apple, Coconut Cream, Boston Cream, Rhubarb Strawberry ... oh man. Another restaurant in the chain, called Bluephie's, has a spectacular dessert menu all on their own - it's called "dessert sushi" and features things like butterfinger wontons in chocolate sauce, cookie dough egg rolls ... mmm.

Are we posting recipes in here? I would be willing to part with my pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe, or corn casserole or eggplant parmesan. Especially if I can get some of those fabulous (rich, not bland) southern food recipes.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrBeelzyMrBeelzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aibyn wrote: »
    bourdain

Preach! Bourdain kicks ass in every way.
    I also like Bob Blumer, who hasn't been mentioned. Although the Surreal Gourmet wasn't that great, Glutton for Punishment is awesome.
    I could watch the food network all day, except for Rachel Ray, for obvious reasons; the license to grill guy, because he is like a male Rachel; Paula Deen, because I can't stand her accent (but the food looks so good).
    One thing though, why did they get Mark Dacascos to play the chairman on Iron Chef, it takes that show down like ten pegs.

MrBeelzy on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bourdain is teh hotness, yes indeedy. Although, I did prefer his Food TV series over No Reservations. It was more about the food, and less about the locations.

Tach on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Frugal gourmet ftw.

Shogun on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tach wrote: »
    Bourdain is teh hotness, yes indeedy. Although, I did prefer his Food TV series over No Reservations. It was more about the food, and less about the locations.

Man, I loved a cook's tour. I used to stay up til guam o'clock just to catch it. The one where he went to Russia and got the beatdown from a masseuse was awesome.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    The Mexican restaurants operated by Actual Hispanic People are really good - El Rio Grande and Cancun are my two favorites - zomg chile rellenos!

Some of the best Mexican I've had was at a little tacqueria about a block from my apartment when I lived in LA. I described it as "Authentic Mexican food made by authentic Mexicans".

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Mexican restaurants operated by Actual Hispanic People are really good - El Rio Grande and Cancun are my two favorites - zomg chile rellenos!

Some of the best Mexican I've had was at a little tacqueria about a block from my apartment when I lived in LA. I described it as "Authentic Mexican food made by authentic Mexicans".

The sad thing is that Mr. DG always wants to go to this shithole called "Mexicali Rose", which is staffed by irritating college kids in Hawaiian shirts with basically the least-authentic and most-offensive-to-my-palate Mexican food possible. Me: "It's not authentic!" Him: "I don't care if it's authentic as long as it tastes good." Me: "Well then too bad it DOESN'T TASTE GOOD, YOU IDIOT."

(Our marriage always becomes strained around suppertime. :P)

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The sad thing is that Mr. DG always wants to go to this shithole called "Mexicali Rose", which is staffed by irritating college kids in Hawaiian shirts with basically the least-authentic and most-offensive-to-my-palate Mexican food possible. Me: "It's not authentic!" Him: "I don't care if it's authentic as long as it tastes good." Me: "Well then too bad it DOESN'T TASTE GOOD, YOU IDIOT."

(Our marriage always becomes strained around suppertime. :P)

I blame his tummy.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I too would like to add my utter disdain for Rachel Ray. Anyone who trademarks "E.V.O.O." is a fucking idiot. Say extra virgin olive oil like everyone else and stop using it on foods that it doesn't require. Bitch.

Anyway, St. Louis has some good food. The barbecue is supposed to be famous, but I'm not particularly fond of it. The most authentic food we have around here is a pretty much all italian neighborhood called "the Hill". There's some pretty good italian food up in there.

Which makes me kind of laugh when I think about it. St. Louis is full of Irish and German people, known for it's Italian food, has all French street and neighborhood names, and a scary end of town.

Toothy on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    his fat gut

Never trust a skinny chef.

So.

Recommend me something to cook this weekend. I'm thinking tandoori chicken.
    Are we posting recipes in here? I would be willing to part with my pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe, or corn casserole or eggplant parmesan. Especially if I can get some of those fabulous (rich, not bland) southern food recipes.

D:

Do you have a sister?

Sheep on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone can be an Iron Chef. There's only one Zinc Saucier.

user2121_1163584980.jpg

Best food in LA: Daikokuya Ramen

BubbaT on
  • Options
    slugabedslugabed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Although I like Alton, my favorite chef is Robert Irvine.

From the best Iron Chef ever:
    bitingyg2.th.png

That was from the Paula Deen+Cat Cora VS. Tyler Florence and Robert Irvine Iron Chef that aired a few days ago.
    The special ingredient was sugar, I'll let you guess who won.

Edit: When I just clicked the image above, imageshack put a text ad right underneath the image that says "Fliry with Sexy, Single Women in your area!!". Paula is my kinda woman, I tell you what...

slugabed on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A good friend of mine is training to be a chef, through him i have met many other young and aspiring chefs.

These people are by far the most crazy single group. 12 hour split shifts, 6 day weeks, Shots during lunch etc. These guys finish a 10 hour shift at 10:30 on a sat night, go out partying and are back at work doing prep 6am the next morning. They all have positions in quite exclusive hotels too.

And they all look up to my mother and her apparently legendary ability to cook amazing food.

noobert on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I've only been a short order chef at a Waffle House, but that sucked something hard, so I can only imagine what actual cooking for a living is like.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously. I love to cook and theoretically I'd love to cook for a living. But actually cooking for a living, being a chef/cook/whatever? From what I hear it's one of the hardest, most stressful jobs you can have.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Anyone can be an Iron Chef. There's only one Zinc Saucier.

user2121_1163584980.jpg

Best food in LA: Daikokuya Ramen
    Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoonfuls of LSD.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Seriously. I love to cook and theoretically I'd love to cook for a living. But actually cooking for a living, being a chef/cook/whatever? From what I hear it's one of the hardest, most stressful jobs you can have.

It has its glories.

Shinto on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I am from South Florida and I originate from Cuba.

Good Cuban cuisine is pretty astounding, but it must either be cooked by a Cuban grandmother, or at least a recent exile.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Marathon cooking is one of those things that trains you to be a man. At the end of a 4 - 5 hour cooking session where I prep all foods prior to stew, stir fry, baking, sweating, etc, my back hurts and my eyes are sore. Now multiply that by 3 and you get what the professionals do. I wonder if they wear back braces.

It would be a lot of fun to work on various things in a big kitchen though - so far I've been confined to my own kitchen without a lot of moving around.

Ely on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

It has its glories.

I don't doubt it. Unfortunately, I don't think I could weather the pressures. I have nothing but admiration for those who do, though.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anthony Bourdain is one of my favorites, as he has been mentioned. I am glad someone said Frugul Gourmet, he was great too. Alton Brown is excellent I love his show and would like to just sit down and chat with that man.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    senor_xsenor_x Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Anthony Bourdain is one of my favorites, as he has been mentioned. I am glad someone said Frugul Gourmet, he was great too. Alton Brown is excellent I love his show and would like to just sit down and shat with that man.

Well, if you're into that sort of thing.

senor_x on
    Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    senor_x wrote: »
    Mom2Kat wrote: »
    Anthony Bourdain is one of my favorites, as he has been mentioned. I am glad someone said Frugul Gourmet, he was great too. Alton Brown is excellent I love his show and would like to just sit down and shat with that man.

Well, if you're into that sort of thing.

Maybe like... a few hours after enjoying one of his excellent meals?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    UGH! CHAT I MEANT CHAT! Damn I should proofread better.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well i'd have to say Quizznos because i'm stuck on a campus.

Not to mention that Ohio isn't really known for a damn thing when it comes to cuisine. We just have imitations of everything a lot of promotional fast food.

I used to work at Quizno's.

Don't get the meatball sandwich.

Wait. What?

The policy for leftover meatballs is to put foil over them and put them in the back, then reheat them the next day. Very few meatball sandwiches get ordered per day. At one point we saved and reheated the same meatballs for over a week.

It grossed me out, especially since they weren't very good quality to begin with.

Also you're wrong, Edward. Ohio is known for certain foods. They're just not actually very good foods. Graeters Ice Cream, and "Cincinnati Chili" (code for spicy meat-sauce). The Skyline and Goldstar shit.

Edit: Oh and Chiquita bananas.

Edit 2: Actually more Chiquita's business practices and media influence.

no mention of goetta, montgomery inn, la rosas or aglamesis?

FOR SHAME

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    While I was living there (about 8-9 years ago) there was this vegetarian restaurant up by the college- Dionysis, I think. Halfway decent fare. Texas Roadhouse was pretty good too- if only for the rolls & honey butter. Oh- and while it's also a chain, Chi-Chi's fresh salsa was the best I've ever had. To this day.

But yeah- to call what they serve in Cincinnati "chili" is an insult to chili. Chili does NOT have cinnamon OR molassass in it. Ugh.

Tach on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have no idea why, but I have always liked Michael Smith, especially his older show The Inn Chef.

Duki on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    I have no idea why, but I have always liked Michael Smith, especially his older show The Inn Chef.

Same here, I think I liked it for the same reason I liked Good Eats - the shows were more about learning about food and other things, rather than just some cook doing his thing in front of a camera. I must admit though, his new show where he just cooks at home, isn't nearly as interesting.

And I'll chime in with pretty much everyone else that Alton Brown is a god among men for cooking. He was the sole reason for getting me interested in cooking many years back, and once I learned he was into bikes too, it was set. As an aside, after seeing the way he acts off-show (just as laid back as you'd figure he'd be), he gained even more points.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cycophant wrote: »
    Duki wrote: »

Same here, I think I liked it for the same reason I liked Good Eats - the shows were more about learning about food and other things, rather than just some cook doing his thing in front of a camera. I must admit though, his new show where he just cooks at home, isn't nearly as interesting.

Yeah, completely true. I still watch it when I see it's on, but it's just not the same. I was always sort of sad he took a break because of (I assume) his son, because i knew that when he came back it wouldn't be as good.

Duki on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Used to love watching Jamie Oliver, never see anything of his on anymore, though. I also want to share this:
    wiki'd wrote:
    James Trevor Oliver MBE (May 27, 1975), better known as Jamie Oliver and nicknamed The Naked Chef, is an English celebrity chef. He is well known for his role in campaigning against what he believes to be unhealthy, processed foods in British schools.

In September, 2006, Jamie Oliver and Rawmarsh Community School, South Yorkshire, UK, made front page headlines after a group of parents revolted against Oliver's lunch scheme, in which all 1100 pupils on site were fed two portions of fruit and three vegetables every day. The parents, declaring, "Our kids have the right to eat what they like," took orders over the school fence for nearby sandwich and fast-food outlets. The food was then delivered over the fence to the waiting pupils.

Octoparrot on