As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What we need around here are some Good Eats

• Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh god, oh god. I'm watching Nigella Lawson making "White Chocolate Peppermint Shots"
    I've never seen anything look so sexy. (The shots, not Nigella. I wouldn't hit that.)

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Mmmm, cumin.

Great spice? Or greatest spice?

Satan. on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh god, oh god. I'm watching Nigella Lawson making "White Chocolate Peppermint Shots"
    I've never seen anything look so sexy. (The shots, not Nigella. I wouldn't hit that.)

I would so hit that.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    The Moosewood Cookbook has a good felafel recipe in it. That cookbook (the old one with the fatty recipes, not the new "low fat" bullshit one) is awesome.

Hmmm, I wonder if they have the falafel in the restaurant. They're like right down the street from me.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I am about to attempt to make falafel from scratch. Any suggestions or things to keep in mind? It seems pretty straightforward. I've made it from a box before, but this seems like it would be better.

Don't use it as a marital aid?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I am about to attempt to make falafel from scratch. Any suggestions or things to keep in mind? It seems pretty straightforward. I've made it from a box before, but this seems like it would be better.

What about a martial aid?

Doc on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Only if you over-fry it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I totally ate some giant garlic shrimp for dinner, it was damn delicious. I love me some good eats

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Also, Thai food pisses chilli all over Italian food.

My Dad, having lived in Thailand for a few years, makes awesome Thai food.
    A close mate of mine is Thai and his mom dries and prepares Thai dragon pepper. He gave me a large peanut butter jar filled with the stuff. I usually just call it Thai crack.

anyone have any good hummus recipes? I mean, not so much the making of, but good spices/ingredients to dress it up with?

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    METAzraeL wrote: »

A close mate of mine is Thai and his mom dries and prepares Thai dragon pepper. He gave me a large peanut butter jar filled with the stuff. I usually just call it Thai crack.

anyone have any good hummus recipes? I mean, not so much the making of, but good spices/ingredients to dress it up with?

You are in luck! I recently got addicted to hummus and am developing a serious problem.

My favorite is Trader Joe's hummus (they're all good, but you can't go wrong with the 3 layer version they sell) In a pita pocket or on some flat pita bread, feta cheese on top and finish it off with alphalpha sprouts, it's like crack. (also add tomato depending on the quality of them you can find in your area this time of year)

Also if you want to just snack on it without making all that up trader joe's also sells pita chips, the sesame seed variety are a perfect for dipping in some hummus

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of making it myself and what I could put in it, but I'll try Trader Joe's to see what they use, though!

METAzraeL on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    The falafel came out great, I used this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231755

Doc on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh, I was thinking more along the lines of making it myself and what I could put in it, but I'll try Trader Joe's to see what they use, though!

I must have misread the "I mean, not so much the making of" part :P

but yeah, it's very good. Beats the hell out of athenos or the other brands you'll find at most grocery stores. Can't help much as to producing you're own, though I can look at my container from TJs and tell you that it comes in 3 parts, plain old garbonzo bean and garlic, then cilantro jalapeno, and the bottom layer is spicy, tomorrow I could possibly try to sort out what is what, but a quick glance tells me the ambiguous spicy layer contains ground up bell pepper as well as some additional jalepeno i think.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Hummus ingredients:

First blend together:

Chick peas
    a bit of tahini
    good olive oil
    feta cheese
    a bit of lemon juice

Then add any of these:

Basil
    Spinach
    Red Peppers
    Jalepenos
    Mint
    Goat Cheese
    Balsamic Vinegar

Mix n match these for great results!

Medopine on
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My persoanl favorite is Epicure Selections

One can Garbonzo Beans (Chick peas)
    Some Olive Oil
    3 Tablespoons of Epicure Selections Hummus Dip Seasoning

Blender till done.

warm fat pita in fry pan on medium untill warm and toasty, Slice like pizza and dip into the Hummous goodness. Also make some Tzatziki at the same time and eat with the same pita.

Mom2Kat on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I used to live in Dearborn (largest Arab population that doesn't end in "iddle East"), and good hummus is simple - chickpeas, tahini, garlic and cumin. That's all you really need. There is a place near me that adds all sorts of shit to their hummus and it really detracts from the flavor, in my humble opinion.

Satan. on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My girlfriend likes hummus out of:

Chick Peas
    Garlic
    Salt/Pepper
    LIME Juice

And she hates tahini. I had never heard such insanity.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've been to Cincinnati twice going on three times this Christmas, and my girlfriend's family has been introducing me to more and more of the food there. I was happy to see La Rosa's pizza mentioned on here, as well as Skyline. Oh, and Grinders, which we made a stop at the last time I was in Cincinnati and got buckeye ice cream. Good stuff.

On that last trip we also went to Gencon and I have to mention that the Ram has some of the best food I've ever had. If you are there for Gencon, be sure to stop in, especially on the Wednesday before the convention opens, since a local forum group holds morning and afternoon gaming there for free.

I'm from Boston though, so all I can really reccommend locally is the Agawam Diner (which I work and am totally not biased towards) and the Clam Shack. Get pies at the Diner and clams from the Shack (obviously). You need to try New England clam chowder, the good, thick, creamy, with blocks of potatoes and chewy clams, at least once in your life.

And avoid watching the Phantom Gourmet. All you'll want to do for the rest of the day is eat.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Chick Peas
    Garlic
    Salt/Pepper
    LIME Juice

I've heard of adding lemon/lime juice. The key for tahini is not to add a ton of it. It's extremely strong. I've had hummus without it and it's really missing something.

Satan. on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It was a bad attempt to make fun of Bill O'Reilly.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow, thanks everyone. I just remembered that the last times I made it I didn't have tahini, so I'm guessing that would help. Maybe I'll try it with some fresh basil and dragon pepper, too. Mmm fresh basil is so rad.

Hm, what do you guys like to put in your lasagna? I make a pretty sweet eggplant lasagna, and I like to throw in broccoli as well.

METAzraeL on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I make lasagna with leeks and spinach.

Medopine on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never miss Good Eats if it's on. Not only is it teaching you how to cook, it's just plain good television. I'm pretty sure that Feasting on Asphalt volumes 1 & 2 will be under the Christmas tree with my name on it, or I'm buying it with assorted Christmas money recieved from relatives. He went through a town I used to live in on the second trip- the little town with the diner and the button factory and the clams. (I'm so craving a Maid-Rite right now.)

One of my favorite snack food recepies is Coffee-Spiked Rice Krispy Treats. It's exactly the same as regular RKTs, but dump in a few spoonfuls of instant coffee and stir them into the melted marshmallow, making sure it's dissolved into the mix before you add in the Rice Krispies. They'll keep you awake without the waterlogged feeling.

Gordon Ramsay comes off as a hothead, but he means well. He acts the way he does because he's usually trying to get ideas through to stubborn people. I wish Hell's Kitchen would be on DVD.

I also never miss Ace of Cakes. It's pretty funny, and I love seeing what they do with the cakes.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    0393011836.jpg

A great book, super helpful to nerds who cook. Their is a lot of mysticism left over in the kitchen, and it just pisses me off most of the time. Add salt to pasta to make it cook faster! That makes no fucking sense.

As far as celebrity chefs go, Alton Brown is just short of a god. I'm also a pretty huge fan of Anthony Bourdain's 'Kitchen Confidential' book, as well as Bill Buford's book "Heat", where he studies underneath Mario Batali (boring as all getout on TV, but I can't think of anybody I'd rather have give me a guided tour of New York).

I also add a little bit of lemon juice to hummus, I thought that's how it was 'supposed' to be done. Either way, delightful. I'm going to try making hollandaise sauce sometime, anybody have tips?

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Alton Brown isn't actually a chef. Chef is a title you need to earn on the field.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The falafel came out great, I used this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/231755

Good to know. I've failed miserably everytime I've tried to make my own. From scratch and boxed. For some reason, every boxed I've used tasted... all kinda funky.

The last time I did it, I almost had it right. Oil was too hot, burnt the outside to a crisp and left the innards gooey and thick.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Alton Brown isn't actually a chef. Chef is a title you need to earn on the field.

"He's more than just a chef."

"What's that?"

"A legend, Mr. Wayne."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    coelacanthcoelacanth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Chick Peas
    Garlic
    Salt/Pepper
    LIME Juice

Replace the chickpeas with shelled edamame for a change of flavor. It's hummus with a twist.

coelacanth on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    coelacanth wrote: »

Chick Peas
    Garlic
    Salt/Pepper
    LIME Juice

Replace the chickpeas with shelled edamame for a change of flavor. It's hummus with a twist.

I'm doing this tomorrow.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Pics, please.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man that's a great fucking idea, holy shit.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I made a shit ton of Grace's cookies last night (doubled the recipe). Mmm soo gooooood.

If I may, I recommend this recipe for a lovely Moroccan Soup: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moroccan-Lentil-Soup/Detail.aspx

Pretty easy. I don't use the cardamom or garam masala, I use some Moroccoan mix of spices I got at a fancy store along with the cayenne and cumin. Always turns out great.

Medopine on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Recipe sharing time!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:
    Preheat oven to 350º.

Ingredients:
    • 1 c. canned pumpkine
    • 1 c. white sugar
    • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
    • 1 egg
    • 2 c. flour
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking soda.
    • 1 tsp milk
    • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
    • 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil, & egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

2. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.

3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350º for ~10 minutes.
    Is it possible to do this recipe without the baking powder and just use baking soda?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I believe that you need baking soda + cream of tartar.

Baking soda is a base, baking power is a base + acid with a neutral pH that combines in the baking. Maybe you could get buy on an extra egg white or something, I'm not sure.

#2: What if you woke up early one morning to bake biscuits and you discovered, to your horror, that you were out of baking powder? [gasps]
    AB#1: That’s your substitution? Baking powder?
    SH#2: Is that another show, too?
    AB#1: No, but it would take, like, half a second. It’s the simplest thing in the world. All chemical leaveners work on the same basic principle that ... Oh, here, hold this. Just stand there a second.
    SH#2: Okay.

SCENE 3
    Outside

[AB holds a model rocket ship with two liquid chambers, separated by a barrier] All chemical leaveners work on the simple premise that when a base and an acid come together in the presence of water, carbon dioxide is released by the reaction. In this case, the base is baking soda—one of the only bases in the culinary world, I might add. The acid: common white vinegar. Let’s see what happens, shall we? [he stands the rocket on end and the soda and vinegar come together firing the rocket up and off screen] Uh oh. [a fake bird falls to the ground] Oh, sorry.

SCENE 4
    The Kitchen

GUEST: Thing

AB#1: Sweet demo, huh?
    SH#2: Nah, I was going to do the rocket thing, but I figured it would be talking down to the audience.
    AB#1: [a little perturbed] Now ...
    SH#2: [tries to imitate] Now ...
    AB#1: Stop that! If you want to make baking powder, there are two different types. There is single-acting and there’s double-acting. The double-acting releases gas twice: once, when the ingredients are mixed, and again when they get hot enough in the oven. Tough to formulate in the home kitchen. Single-acting stuff is easy to make. Two teaspoons of it. We’ll need one teaspoon of cream of tartar ...
    SH#2: ... an acidic powder, which is traditionally harvested from the insides of wine barrels.
    AB#1: Well, that’s pretty good. We’ll also need an alkali. We’ll use half a teaspoon of baking soda, the very same kind that went into our rocket. Now, if you mix that up, you will have a single-acting baking powder. But if you’re not going to use it right away, you’re going to want to add another ingredient, half a teaspoon of cornstarch ...
    SH#2: ... which will prevent the powder from absorbing moisture and setting off the reaction prematurely.
    AB#1: Very good. And what else would you put that ingredient in?
    SH#2: Kosher salt!
    AB#1: [disappointed in her wrong answer] Oh ... no. [takes the faux baking powder mix away]. Confectioners sugar. Thing, show her what she’s won.
    THING: [hands her car wax and instant rice]
    SH#2: [takes the prizes and then notices Thing, screams and falls down]
    AB: [to Thing] Don’t worry about it. We’ll ship it.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, if you don't have baking powder then you might try increasing the baking soda and using buttermilk instead of milk (more acidic), maybe adding a tablespoon or so of lemon juice. That seems kinda pointless unless you already have the stuff tho, since you'd have to go out and get it and then why not just get baking powder.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, guess the cookies will just have to wait for tomorrow.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, the main thing is that the baking powder has to combine in the cookie to cause it to puff up, preferably in the overn (when the heat would cause the bubbles to expand).

If you mix baking soda and acid, it's going to mix together immeadiately, and all the bubbles will dissapear before you even get it in the batter. Making it useless. Also keep in mind that baking soda counts as sodium in your diet. Mixing in egg whites into the batter and then adding the baking soda later may delay the reaction. Egg whites slightly dry out cookies, but pumpkin cookies tend to be overly moist, so that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

Another alternative is to completely ignore the baking powder altogether. It won't be as puffy, but I find homemade pumpkin cookies to be way too puffy anyway.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah the cookies I made are a bit sticky.

But who cares they taste like HEAVEN

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Christmas eve recipes?

BTW, here's a recipe for pumpkin flan:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10547

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Recipe sharing time!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:
    Preheat oven to 350º.

Ingredients:
    • 1 c. canned pumpkine
    • 1 c. white sugar
    • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
    • 1 egg
    • 2 c. flour
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking soda.
    • 1 tsp milk
    • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
    • 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil, & egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

2. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.

3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350º for ~10 minutes.

So I started on this recipe for a new year's eve party, and it's chilling in the fridge right now. Can anyone tell me how many it'll serve?

Modifications: People have stated that it's super moist, so I used half vegetable oil/half melted butter to balance that out. I also didn't bother with the baking powder, which I didn't have anyway, and didn't feel like purchasing. It seems like the main purpose of baking powder in these recipes is to give it a fluffy cake like texture, and I'm looking for a cookie.

Schrodinger on