As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What we need around here are some Good Eats

• Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cincinnati chili is actually a greek dish. Myra's is a good restaurant, very good for late night study sessions. I also like habeneros. San Fran style burritos, but with more variety than chipotle, big chips, addictive salsa and draft beer....

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Used to love watching Jamie Oliver, never see anything of his on anymore, though. I also want to share this:
    wiki'd wrote:
    James Trevor Oliver MBE (May 27, 1975), better known as Jamie Oliver and nicknamed The Naked Chef, is an English celebrity chef. He is well known for his role in campaigning against what he believes to be unhealthy, processed foods in British schools.

In September, 2006, Jamie Oliver and Rawmarsh Community School, South Yorkshire, UK, made front page headlines after a group of parents revolted against Oliver's lunch scheme, in which all 1100 pupils on site were fed two portions of fruit and three vegetables every day. The parents, declaring, "Our kids have the right to eat what they like," took orders over the school fence for nearby sandwich and fast-food outlets. The food was then delivered over the fence to the waiting pupils.

....Wow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Used to love watching Jamie Oliver, never see anything of his on anymore, though. I also want to share this:
    wiki'd wrote:
    James Trevor Oliver MBE (May 27, 1975), better known as Jamie Oliver and nicknamed The Naked Chef, is an English celebrity chef. He is well known for his role in campaigning against what he believes to be unhealthy, processed foods in British schools.

In September, 2006, Jamie Oliver and Rawmarsh Community School, South Yorkshire, UK, made front page headlines after a group of parents revolted against Oliver's lunch scheme, in which all 1100 pupils on site were fed two portions of fruit and three vegetables every day. The parents, declaring, "Our kids have the right to eat what they like," took orders over the school fence for nearby sandwich and fast-food outlets. The food was then delivered over the fence to the waiting pupils.

....Wow.

Way to go Americ- ENGLAND?

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Read the article on The Sun's website. The parents are so fucking stupid it's astonishing.

Sami on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ahhhhh, Texas bbq. Nowhere else on earth is it as good as it is right here in my home state. Say all you want about Texas-but we do ribs right.

Crayon on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    Read the article on The Sun's website. The parents are so fucking stupid it's astonishing.

They made a documentary series about his campaign to fix school lunches. I thought it was great, although I do have an unhealthy love for Jamie Oliver.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    Well i'd have to say Quizznos because i'm stuck on a campus.

Not to mention that Ohio isn't really known for a damn thing when it comes to cuisine. We just have imitations of everything a lot of promotional fast food.

I used to work at Quizno's.

Don't get the meatball sandwich.

Wait. What?

The policy for leftover meatballs is to put foil over them and put them in the back, then reheat them the next day. Very few meatball sandwiches get ordered per day. At one point we saved and reheated the same meatballs for over a week.

It grossed me out, especially since they weren't very good quality to begin with.

Also you're wrong, Edward. Ohio is known for certain foods. They're just not actually very good foods. Graeters Ice Cream, and "Cincinnati Chili" (code for spicy meat-sauce). The Skyline and Goldstar shit.

Edit: Oh and Chiquita bananas.

Edit 2: Actually more Chiquita's business practices and media influence.

no mention of goetta, montgomery inn, la rosas or aglamesis?

FOR SHAME

Oh yeah, I forgot about La Rosa's. Solid pizza.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd just like to say asparagus. Also, recipe give because it's one of the few I know and I really like it--

(best done in a pressure cooker if you're confident with one, otherwise it's about two hours open-air simmer)

1 pot full o' water, like... 3qts
    2 pounds or so spare ribs
    1 quart (drained) (German) sauerkraut
    some chopped onion
    caraway seeds because that is how we do it
    salt and pepper to taste because that is how we should all do it

Boil your ribs, skim off the fat, mix in the rest, simmer for a few hours. Bam! Done.

The times I've most enjoyed this, the spare ribs were dry-rubbed in brown sugar before boiling. You can use straight ribs though, or if you like you can marinate them in mostly-anything so long as it's got some sweet in it. Variations on this are flavoring with wine/brandy/beer in the pot or adding chopped apples and pears. It's really simple but it's also just a really nice, hearty meal that doesn't take too much work. This really works best with a pressure cooker, though, to get the best texture on the ribs.

Oh, and another variation adds ketchup towards the end, and I think this is traditionally (of course) served alongside potatoes. My personal recommendation would be to do either the brown sugar or ketchup the first time you make this, as it can be a bit bland otherwise.

Good eats!

EDIT: Upon further reading of the thread I'm the only recipe-giver, it seems. I don't have a television, though, and never really got into any of these famous cookpeople, so this is all I can contribute. Also, I can talk endlessly about the etymology of Czech and Polish cooking and also rattle off the recipe for like six different blood soups just because they creep people out.

But seriously people, ribs and kraut. Get to it.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I feel like such a fool... I can cook, but I'm not creative at all. I mean, I made sausage with green/red peppers and onions once, and put cinnamon on it. It was delicious, but that was the most creative I got, ever. Then again, I don't really live on my own yet, so I've never really had to cook for myself besides on a whim, and my house rarely every has anything beyond bread, peanut butter and jelly.

I don't know any chefs. Except my mom. She's usually pretty good, but "I tried something new" typically means "I fucked up something old."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So even though I enjoy cooking a lot, I've only been doing it for a few months and my girlfriends has me far outstripped in terms of creativity and skill. She was able to stay one day while I was working and I came back to find:
    100_3289.jpg
    Shell pasta sauteed in lime, chile, cilantro, tomatoes, and onions. Before it was put in the fridge we sprinkled pepperjack over it to make it that much better
    100_3286.jpg
    Bowtie pasta sauteed with spinach, onions, green onions, and mushrooms. It doesn't look nearly as good as it tastes.
    100_3292.jpg
    Strawberry pizza. Holy shit was this amazing, though runnier than she would've liked. It used cream cheese, ricotta, strawberry jam, and some sort of snobby cheese I don't remember the name of to make the cheese and then she placed sliced strawberries on top after cooking it.

Her mother though definitely has her beat. She's made rum cake where you could smell the alcohol, pumpkin pie crumble that outclassed any desert I've ever had, and spectacular sweet potatoes. She'd most likely be my pick for favorite chef.

Quid on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mascarpone? Only thing I can think of that would go well with that.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mascarpone? Only thing I can think of that would go well with that.
    Don't know. It was white with a white rind.

Quid on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Recipe sharing time!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies:
    Preheat oven to 350º.

Ingredients:
    • 1 c. canned pumpkine
    • 1 c. white sugar
    • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
    • 1 egg
    • 2 c. flour
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking soda.
    • 1 tsp milk
    • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
    • 2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Combine pumpkin, sugar, oil, & egg. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Dissolve the baking soda with milk and stir in. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and mix well.

2. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.

3. Drop by spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350º for ~10 minutes.

Curried Corn:
    Ingredients:
    • 2 16-oz cans sweet corn (or 2 10-oz pkgs frozen corn)
    • 1/4 c. chopped green pepper
    • 2 Tbsp grated onion
    • 3 Tbsp butter
    • 3/4 c. sour cream
    • ~1/2 tsp curry powder (to taste - I use a bit more than this)
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1/8 tsp ground pepper

Sauté corn, pepper, and onion in butter for 5-7 minutes or till tender. Stir in sour cream, curry, salt, and pepper,. Heat slowly, stir constantly - do not allow to boil or sour cream will curdle!

Tuna Noodle Casserole (a midwest classic!):
    Preheat oven to 425ºF

Ingredients:
    • 6 oz. shell noodles - cooked and drained.
    • 6 1/2-7 oz can of tuna
    • 1/2 c. miracle whip
    • 1 c. or frozen peas
    • 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
    • 1/3 dried chopped onion
    • 10 1/2 oz can of cream of celery, chicken, or mushroom soup
    • 1/2 c. milk
    • 4 oz/1 c. shredded cheese
    • Bread crumbs.

Mix noodles, tuna, miracle whip, peas, onion, pepper. Blend soup with milk, heat through, and add cheese. Mix the noodles and the soup. Put into 2-quart casserole dish and cover with the bread crumbs. Bake uncoered at 425ºF for 20 minutes.

Sloppy Joes (Family Barbecue Size recipe):
    Ingredients:
    • 4 lbs ground beef or turkey
    • 4 large onions, diced
    • 4 green peppers, diced
    • 8 Tbsp brown sugar
    • 10 Tbsp mustard
    • 4 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
    • 3 1/2 c. ketchup

Brown meat. Throw everything together in a huge pot, stir, cook for two hours on medium heat, stirring periodically.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh shits.

Grace posted a cookie recipe.

*scribble scribble scribble*

Quid on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't watch much of the Food Network so I can't contribute there. My favourite hometown place would have to be Fritzie's. It is a Hamburger and fries shop, makes the best poutine (we have a bunch of cheese factories around town so they always have fresh curds), corned beef on a bun, fried mushrooms, and cheeseburgers in all of southwestern Ontario. Amazingly unhealthy for you though.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Diner back in Jersey makes a pretty good burger. Patty, slice o' swiss, ham, slice o' swiss, barbecue sauce, jalapeños. Most of the diners had their own worthwhile dish, come to think of it ... normally I'd just eschew it for the reuben, though. Gosh, I miss Jersey. :(

No corned beef or pastrami down here, and it's impossible to find good cuts of prosciutto. Can't get good cheeses, can't get seafood at all, ... this state is really just the pits as far as food goes. I want to head back up north and get a bagel with freshly-cut red onion and lox. <3

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I miss black and white cookies. Really miss them.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Two of my friends just came to my house to make profiteroles. They have been elevated to hero status.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was never really a big fan of these. I don't know what's wrong with me. :(

The only thing I ever really got at bakeries were kaiser rolls. The first date I ever went on, when I was 15 or so, I showed up at the girl's house at like 10AM with a bag of freshly-baked kaiser rolls.

"You... you brought me bread? At 10 in the morning?"

I uh, never was... that good at getting along with my own generation. ...

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ooooh. Sloppy Joes...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I do like Alton Brown, but at the same time, I tend to think he's a little obnoxious.

I actually like shows like unwrapped, and Secret life of... on the food network, but I love Iron Chef. IS it true Batali's leaving the show?

Matthew on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    I was never really a big fan of these. I don't know what's wrong with me. :(
    You're a racist.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ramsey is an asshole but he did have some good tips I forget most of them, but a few.

Spices should be used early and often during the creation of food.

Being prepared doesn't just mean having the ingrediants, but also having them in a state of ready for you to add them just as they are needed. If you need to dice something up, cut it up ahead of when you plan to cook so you aren't trying to do too much at the same time and end up fucking everything up.

Everyone should watch the UK version of "Kitchen Nightmares." Ramsay comes off as pretty likeable.

The US version is pretty heavily butchered. One major difference is that it's become Kitchen Makeovers, where the show pays for spends hundreds of thousands of dollars rennovating the restaurants, in order to make the restaurant more successful. Which pretty much kills the purpose of the show.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Grace, Obo, you guys heavily influenced the shopping my girlfriend did today. Muchos grassy ass.

I'm going to do the curried corn tomorrow, but I'll spin it up a bit and see what I come up with. I'll post a full report tomorrow, along with whatever I decide it will accompany. I'm thinking some grilled swordfish steaks, but all I have in my dinky ass apartment is a tiny little electric grill that doesn't do anything much justice. Still though, I'm going to experiment. I'll probably wind updoing some kind of dry rub on the steaks, as they moisten themselves well enough, and dish it up with something simple.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    the dry rub is the greatest secret that ever went public

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Don't forget the all American dessert: babka! (Apple Pie is Dutch, and Austin Power's father says they're evil)

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Gonna make some mashed sweet potatoes and steak before I leave for vacation.

Then I'll be eating elk and ostrich for five days straight.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Gonna make some mashed sweet potatoes and steak before I leave for vacation.

Then I'll be eating elk and ostrich for five days straight.
    Jesus, cut the sig down a couple pegs would you?

Satan. on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry. Noticed it right after I posted it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I am about to attempt to make falafel from scratch. Any suggestions or things to keep in mind? It seems pretty straightforward. I've made it from a box before, but this seems like it would be better.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I am about to attempt to make falafel from scratch. Any suggestions or things to keep in mind? It seems pretty straightforward. I've made it from a box before, but this seems like it would be better.

I've always wanted to do that. Let me know how it turns out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ramsey is an asshole but he did have some good tips I forget most of them, but a few.

Spices should be used early and often during the creation of food.

Being prepared doesn't just mean having the ingrediants, but also having them in a state of ready for you to add them just as they are needed. If you need to dice something up, cut it up ahead of when you plan to cook so you aren't trying to do too much at the same time and end up fucking everything up.

Everyone should watch the UK version of "Kitchen Nightmares." Ramsay comes off as pretty likeable.

The US version is pretty heavily butchered. One major difference is that it's become Kitchen Makeovers, where the show pays for spends hundreds of thousands of dollars rennovating the restaurants, in order to make the restaurant more successful. Which pretty much kills the purpose of the show.

I didn't know the UK version didn't fix up the restaurants, Ramsay is my hero and I love the way he comes out looking awesome at the end of each episode for pretty much turning people's lives around (financially at least).

I always like to do a google search for the places he's fixed up and and compare the reviews people gave them before and after he showed up.

I liked Hell's Kitchen, but that was more about getting to see Gordon go off on inept chefs.

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    It's better and worlds cheaper. Find a whole-foods store or something like that near you, they probably have it in bulk form for dirt cheap. I've spent more than a few months in college eating falafel and nothing but falafel.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I went to the produce stand/mexican market right down the street and they had 1lb dry garbanzo bean bags for $1.50. That's enough for a TON of falafel.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, that'll do for a while. The pre-made stuff at those stores usually includes other spices as well.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    No worries, due to always forgetting if I have any, I have enough cumin to choke a horse.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mmmm, cumin.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mmmm, cumin.

Great spice? Or greatest spice?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The Moosewood Cookbook has a good felafel recipe in it. That cookbook (the old one with the fatty recipes, not the new "low fat" bullshit one) is awesome.

Medopine on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Also, Thai food pisses chilli all over Italian food.

My Dad, having lived in Thailand for a few years, makes awesome Thai food.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts