As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which next-gen console should I buy?

ShoeboxPenguinShoeboxPenguin Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Just broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years and now it's time to buy something for myself instead of blowing money on her.
Thinking about finally getting a next-gen console, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Pretty much the only games I own are RPGs, but I like other big hit games as well.
Right now I'm looking at PS3, Blue-Ray is a big deal for watching high def movies, and the wireless internet makes it more appealing than the 360, as I don’t have a wired connection in the room of my HDTV. Most of the games I want to play on the 360 are also on the PS3, except Mass Effect. It's only $50 more than a 360, and I think it'll eventually have more of the games I want to play. Backwards compatibility isn’t a problem for me as I already have a working PS2. Ironically, I would actually need it for PS1 games since my PS2 stopped playing them.

However, I'm struggling between PS3 and Wii. I really like the controller, but I'm worried it's not going to have anything other than first-party titles. The only game I really want to play on it right now is Mario, but I worry it's going to become like my Gamecube and DS, collecting dust from the lack of decent titles. Also the poor graphics are a big concern.

I'm also considering the 360, due to platform specific titles like Mass Effect. I don't like that it's not wireless internet, and I don't want to shell out the money for the adapter, it's got even less storage space than the bare minimum PS3, it's had the RoD hardware issue, and most of the games I want to play are already on PS3. It's got Xbox Live, but I don't really play my console games online much and I hear the community moves on fast from game to game. Also purchasing the HD-DVD player would probably make it cost more than the PS3.

So, which one would you guys suggest and why? I’m possibly considering both a Wii and PS3, but I don’t want to spend too much money or have both occupying all my time.

**Updated OP!**
I said this somewhere else in the thread but it's probably buried by now. I decided to go with the PS3 and picked up Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, and I'm having a fun time with both. So really there's no longer any need to answer my question, but I don't see anything wrong with the constructive arguing that's still going on.

PSN: FaustEx
ShoeboxPenguin on

• Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll probably say more on the PS3 vs. Wii subject later when I have more free time, but the wireless internet shouldn't be a deal-breaker for the 360. You can buy a $40 router, flash it with DD-WRT, and use it as a wireless bridge. So a 360 + wireless is roughly the same cost as a PS3 (not counting the HD-DVD).

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My advice?

You've focused a lot on the technology. Blu-ray, wireless, motion control, etc. While important to some degree, many of them can be overcome to some degree (albeit costly).

I'd focus more on the games that you want to play, especially if any of them are exclusive. Although you can buy a wireless adapter and an HD-DVD for a 360, you can't get Uncharted on there. Vice versa with Mass Effect.

If all you want are RPGs, and specifically JRPGs, then I'd actually recommend waiting. The big RPGs (FF, KH, etc.) haven't come out yet. The 360 is starting to get some, with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but they may not be your cup of tea. Mass Effect is reaaaaally good though. :)

But if there's stuff that you want to play now, then I'd take a look at what systems they're for, and also upcoming titles too. IMHO, for RPGs, your best bet is either the 360 now, or the PS3 in the future. I don't recall very many RPGs for the Wii, aside from Super Paper Mario.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Games really are a big issue to me, sorry I didn't make it sound like that.
    My current list of games I want to play that are out/are eventually coming are goes something like this:

PS3:
    Assassin's Creed
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Oblivion
    The Orange Box
    Time Crisis 4
    Call of Duty 4
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Armored Core 4
    FFXIII
    Devil May Cry 4

Granted, most aren't even out.

360:
    Mass Effect
    Assassin's Creed
    Oblivion
    The Orange Box
    Halo 3
    Armored Core 4
    Beautiful Katamari
    Bioshock
    Call of Duty 4
    Grand Theft Auto IV (? Not sure if it's coming out to 360)

Wii:
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Smash Brother's Brawl
    Metroid Prime 3
    Sonic?
    Zelda: Twilight Princess

And there's my problem with the Wii, I love that it's cheap and I love the new controls, but there's just not that many games I think I'd want to play on it. Not to mention I can't find one.

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The answer to this question is always the same: If you're buying a game console, which console has the games you want to play?

The answer is the console you should buy.

I know that sounds silly and obvious, but, well, it's also true. Unless some of the other features are dealbreakers for you -- I don't care about hi-def movies, for instance, but I do care about digital content -- the first and most important bottom line is the games.

EDIT: Ooops! Looks like you addressed that as I was typing. My apologies.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I suggest a PS3. I have had mine since August and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

1. Blu-ray movies are fucking gorgeous. Holy crap. On another note, I can't confirm this, this is just what I have heard on some other boards and such, but I have heard that PS3 rates fairly high as a Blu-ray player, while the X360 HD-DVD addon is inferior to most/all HD-DVD standalones.

2. Free online. I don't play online games very frequently, so having to pay however many dollars for the few times that I do play is not appealing. I don't have any problems with PSN. It's stable and functions well, from what I have found. So if you're not a huge online gamer, this is a bonus. Also, it's got a damn good community. Warhawk's always got tons of servers and I hear Resistance still sees lots of traffic.

3. Most of the people I know with a Wii aren't getting much use out of it. If you do plan to get one, I'd recommend waiting (and, well, it's not like you're going to be able to find one any time soon). Wii, IMHO, seems more like a secondary console. IE if you're getting 2/3, one of them is a Wii.

4. PS3 is very reliable. Never had any problems with overheating, and maybe only 3 or 4 freezes over the course of several months. No issues with disc eating, either.

5. PS3's got some damn good games out/coming out, so you're not going to be stuck with one title.

I will admit that I am biased towards the PS3. I've never even considered getting a 360 because the titles I'd want to play on it will either be out on the PS3 or the PC, plus the reliability issue (which has been/is being solved?)

Anyway, just take the time and weigh out your options. I reccommend a PS3, but be sure to go with what will give you the most enjoyment.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pick the one that has the games you want to play on it now.

I wouldnt buy a console on the promise of games, Ive been burned before on that.

If I had to pick, go Wii.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My current list of games I want to play that are out/are eventually coming are goes something like this:

PS3:
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Time Crisis 4
    FFXIII

360:
    Mass Effect
    Halo 3
    Beautiful Katamari
    Bioshock

Wii:
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Smash Brother's Brawl
    Metroid Prime 3
    Sonic?

And there's my problem with the Wii, I love that it's cheap and I love the new controls, but there's just not that many games I think I'd want to play on it. Not to mention I can't find one.

Many of the games (yes, including GTA IV) are multiplatform. For your sake, I've removed them from your list above to show only exclusives. Hopefully that will help you. And for simplicity's sake, let's assume that all multi-platform ports are equal (even though they're not quite, currently PS3 ports tend to suck but that may change in the future).

Of course as time goes on, the exclusives may change too.

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Grand Theft Auto IV (? Not sure if it's coming out to 360)
    It is, allegedly with exclusive downloadable missions, too. In fact, to the best of my knowledge the trailers have been 360 footage (but I could be wrong).

Looks like as far as games go, you're dead even. In theory the 360 also opens up a bunch of OxBox games for you; not as big a deal on the Sony side since you already have a PS2. On the other hand, you want wireless out of the box, which you won't get with the 360.

If digital content -- expansions, arcade games, demos, and online play -- is important to you, I'd say the 360 has the clear edge.

If HD movies are important to you, no question the PS3 has the clear edge.

Most of the other stuff is kind of a wash. They're both really solid systems.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A. What games do you want to play?
    B. How much are you willing to pay?
    C. Are you big on extra functionality?

I'm biased so thats pretty much it.
    Buy a PS3.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wait.

Weren't you bitching at us about two weeks back for enjoying console games?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Wait.

Weren't you bitching at us about two weeks back for enjoying console games?

Who.. me?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »

Many of the games (yes, including GTA IV) are multiplatform. For your sake, I've removed them from your list above to show only exclusives.

The point was to show that (as far as I know) they aren't on the Wii. Like I said, most of the games I want to play on the PS3/Xbox are already on the other one.

Not that much unless it's something big (i.e. Blu-Ray Player).

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BTW, I absolutely agree with Scarab. Don't buy a system based purely on the promise of good games. It's stupid. Just wait for the games to come out, then buy the system then. By that time, you'll probably reap the benefits of a price drop.

That's, of course, assuming that there's nothing else on the system that you want to play.

JCRooks on

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do NOT make your decision based on games coming out sometime in the near future. Unless the games you desire are only a month or two away, wait, you could well save money. Plus, it's worth noting that several of the most anticipated games this gen have been underwhelming.

Oh, and GTA4 is absolutely coming to xbox360, and with the exclusive downloadable content (which microsoft payed 40 million for), will arguably be the best version - or at least, the one with the most content.

Edit: damn you JCRooks, you handsome devil!

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Based on what you've said I'd go with the PS3. You get that movie player straight out of the box, wireless out of the box, and good games right now (Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Assassin's Creed, Folklore), and plenty of good games coming down the pipe.

Personally, I've got a 360 and a Wii, and the 360 gets a lot more play. When a good Wii title gets released it gets a lot of play for about a week and then I'm back to the 360. If you want a console to play in the long-term and are only getting one from this generation I can't honestly recommend the Wii. It, much like the GameCube before it, is a great second console, but I wouldn't want it to be all that I have.

Also, with the PS3 you've got access to new digital content whereas with the Wii all you've got is ports of old games. Yeah, they've said WiiWare is coming eventually, but with the PS3 you've got Super Startdust HD, Warhawk, Everyday Shooter, and flOw right now.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Many of the games (yes, including GTA IV) are multiplatform. For your sake, I've removed them from your list above to show only exclusives.

The point was to show that (as far as I know) they aren't on the Wii. Like I said, most of the games I want to play on the PS3/Xbox are already on the other one.

Not that much unless it's something big (i.e. Blu-Ray Player).
    Well the blu ray is one of the selling points of the PS3. If you want a huge selection of games to play now and want to save a hundred bucks get a 360, but there are some big titles lined up for next year on the PS3... we really cant tell you what to buy.

MistaCreepy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    BTW, I absolutely agree with Scarab. Don't buy a system based purely on the promise of good games. It's stupid. Just wait for the games to come out, then buy the system then. By that time, you'll probably reap the benefits of a price drop.

That's, of course, assuming that there's nothing else on the system that you want to play.

The point was to get something now for myself so I have something to do aside from work/school. There are games out that I want to play now, namely Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy. Also, I honestly don't think the PS3 is going to get another price drop anytime in the near... ever.

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    On a somewhat related note, I also want to recommend that regardless of whether or not you go Blu-ray or HD-DVD, you may want to hold off on creating a massive library of either. It's still much to early to tell which one is going to be the new "Beta-max". If you do get Blu-ray or HD-DVD, I'd recommend watching most of your movies off rentals or something like Netflix ... unless you like gambling with movie formats!

Personally, I'm betting on neither. Digital distribution is where it's going to go, IMHO. But that's just me and my crazy thinking.

JCRooks on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

PS3:
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Time Crisis 4
    FFXIII

360:
    Mass Effect
    Halo 3
    Beautiful Katamari
    Bioshock

Wii:
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Smash Brother's Brawl
    Metroid Prime 3
    Sonic?

Many of the games (yes, including GTA IV) are multiplatform. For your sake, I've removed them from your list above to show only exclusives. Hopefully that will help you. And for simplicity's sake, let's assume that all multi-platform ports are equal (even though they're not quite, currently PS3 ports tend to suck but that may change in the future).

Of course as time goes on, the exclusives may change too.

The main thing to notice about that list that as far as games that are out now you are basically buying a PS3 to play Time Crisis which has a 63% rating average on Gamerankings. Hmmmmm.

Of course Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank deserve the chance to be on your list. And a lot of people like Warhawk. Do any of those appeal to you?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited November 2007

The point was to get something now for myself so I have something to do aside from work/school. There are games out that I want to play now, namely Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Super Mario Galaxy. Also, I honestly don't think the PS3 is going to get another price drop anytime in the near... ever.

If you want something now ... then according to your own list, you should get either a 360 or a Wii.

I admit that MGS4 and FFXIII look mighty sweet for the PS3, but it's still months for the former, and probably another year for the latter. The only exclusive on your list that's not on the 360 is Time Crisis 4. *shrug*

Oh yeah, one more thing. Have you looked at any of the XBLA, PSN, or Virtual Console games? There's a boatload of goodness in all of them.

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Personally, I'm betting on neither. Digital distribution is where it's going to go, IMHO. But that's just me and my crazy thinking.
    Not too crazy, IMO, because I think the same. I suspect the HD disc thing will be a niche market ala laserdiscs and little more. By the time HD flicks really catch, digital distribution will be the main route by which their gotten.

That's why, good as the BR format is, it's not a draw for me.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    By the fact that you mentioned Time Crisis 4 as one of your PS3 games that you'd like to get, am I right in assuming that you're a fan of light gun games? If so, then bare in mind that just recently the following games came out for the Wii: Link's Crossbow Training ($20), Ghost Squad ($30), and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicle($50). Not only are all 3 games getting better reviews than Time Crisis 4, but they're also all noticeably cheaper ($80 for Time Crisis 4). I can't speak for the other games not having played them yet, but I thought RE:UC was a ton of fun when I rented it and I plan on buying it later on when I have a little more money. Plus if you want simultaneous multiplayer play with Ghost Squad & RE:UC, you just need 2 regular Wii controllers (+numchuck) which most people are going to have anyway whereas simultaneous gun play with TC4 requires 2 proprietary gun controllers which will cost you extra.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    On a somewhat related note, I also want to recommend that regardless of whether or not you go Blu-ray or HD-DVD, you may want to hold off on creating a massive library of either. It's still much to early to tell which one is going to be the new "Beta-max". If you do get Blu-ray or HD-DVD, I'd recommend watching most of your movies off rentals or something like Netflix ... unless you like gambling with movie formats!

That's another problem I'm worried about. I've got a Netflix subscription so I could get either format, but I really think with all this advertising Sony is doing for Blu-Ray I think it'll start to pull ahead.

I want something now, but I also still want to play the games that (hopefully) will come out later.

And no, I haven't looked into any of the online extra content games. I kinda just think of them as an afterthought and don't think they're influence my decision on which console I'll purchase.
    By the fact that you mentioned Time Crisis 4 as one of your PS3 games that you'd like to get, am I right in assuming that you're a fan of light gun games? If so, then bare in mind that just recently the following games came out for the Wii: Link's Crossbow Training ($20), Ghost Squad ($30), and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicle($50). Not only are all 3 games getting better reviews than Time Crisis 4, but they're also all noticeably cheaper ($80 for Time Crisis 4). I can't speak for the other games not having played them yet, but I thought RE:UC was a ton of fun when I rented it and I plan on buying it later on when I have a little more money. Plus if you want simultaneous multiplayer play with Ghost Squad & RE:UC, you just need 2 regular Wii controllers (+numchuck) which most people are going to have anyway whereas simultaneous gun play with TC4 requires 2 proprietary gun controllers which will cost you extra.

I'm not really a huge fan, I just liked playing all the Time Crisis at arcades and was looking for something else to add to my list.

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

That's another problem I'm worried about. I've got a Netflix subscription so I could get either format, but I really think with all this advertising Sony is doing for Blu-Ray I think it'll start to pull ahead.

Don't believe Sony. At least, not about this. They'll say "Blue-Ray is winning the HD Format War" right up until they stop making Blue-Ray disks, regardless of what's actually happening.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Don't believe Sony. At least, not about this. They'll say "Blue-Ray is winning the HD Format War" right up until they stop making Blue-Ray disks, regardless of what's actually happening.

Heh, I know. I don't really consider myself biased. I absolutely love my PS2 but I thought the PS3 launch was dismal at best, but with the price drops and new games it's finally becoming appealing. I see a TON of commercials for Blu-Ray and hardly any for HD-DVD. You'd think all the money they're spending on advertising would have some effect on the less HD savvy.

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The less HD savy don't own an HD player.

shryke on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The whole HD format war should be completely ignored anyways.

By the time one side 'wins' we will all have 40mb internet connections and stream movies in HD anyways.

I visited a friend in Paris a few months back. He has this special box thing they run in the suburbs and streams both live TV and DVd quality movies through his internet connection, while also having the ability to download and browse the net at full speed.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i have real problems with the HD format war right now.

regardless of whatever marketing FUD is coming from either side, i don't think either format is really winning yet. the DRM for either format is really horrifying.

and honestly, by the time things get sorted out, either a new incredibly high-capacity optical disc will hit the market and upend things again, or we will start seeing a new HD format that uses purely online distribution.

in any event, i would not base your purchase heavily on the HD format support.

edit: haha JCRooks, i didn't see your post until after. you're not crazy for thinking that at all. hi5!

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, so let's ignore the format war, but I personally think throwing in an HD player for $50 more is kind of a bonus. Basically, to those of you with Wiis and 360s, what is it that you think makes it enjoyable?

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games. :)

To be more precise:
    The games I enjoy for the Wii most often are genres missing from 360 or are games that I don't like playing with dual analog.

best examples:
    MP3
    Zack & Wiki
    Trauma Center
    Mario Galaxy

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you can afford it, I'm thinking perhaps your best choice is a wii plus either a PS3 or 360.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    360 for the game library (biggest reason), the excellent online integration, and the fact that you're getting one well after they've solved the RRoD issue. I have all 3 consoles and the 360 gets the vast majority of my playtime.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Heh, I know. I don't really consider myself biased. I absolutely love my PS2 but I thought the PS3 launch was dismal at best, but with the price drops and new games it's finally becoming appealing. I see a TON of commercials for Blu-Ray and hardly any for HD-DVD. You'd think all the money they're spending on advertising would have some effect on the less HD savvy.

Ok, so this is the wrong way to think of it. Sales of both formats are basically nothing compared to old SD DVDs and Sony has even admitted that they are deadlocked with HD-DVD. In any case, success will be determined by who gets a cheap enough player that can take over from DVD almost by default. Assuming that others in this thread aren't right about disks of any kind becoming obsolete.

I kind of get the feeling you just want to get a PS3. So just do it. Sony will probably come in 3rd this gen but I doubt they will fail as badly as the last few Sega consoles. It will probably end up more like the Gamecube as far as developer support and there are tons of happy 'cube owners.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You really, really should look into XBLA and the PSN equivalent, there's a bunch of great content on there. It's not worth buying a system for either service alone, but it's something to be considered and may tip the balance.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the metric tonne of games on the 360 right now. I'd buy a PS3 for Ratchet, Uncharted, and the Blu-Ray player, but I just don't have time for it right now.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm not really a huge fan, I just liked playing all the Time Crisis at arcades and was looking for something else to add to my list.

If you have to actively look to find games to add to your list of titles that interest you, that might be a good sign that you should get one of the other consoles.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I kind of get the feeling you just want to get a PS3. So just do it. Sony will probably come in 3rd this gen but I doubt they will fail as badly as the last few Sega consoles. It will probably end up more like the Gamecube as far as developer support and there are tons of happy 'cube owners.

Honestly, I'm really not that set on PS3, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread. Last night I tried to go out and buy a Wii but go figure couldn't find out. I even went to GameStop to buy a PS3... but decided against it just because I'm so split on all three. Mass Effect to me seems like a console selling game.

ShoeboxPenguin on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If all you want are RPGs, and specifically JRPGs, then I'd actually recommend waiting. The big RPGs (FF, KH, etc.) haven't come out yet. The 360 is starting to get some, with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, but they may not be your cup of tea. Mass Effect is reaaaaally good though. :)

Yeah, the XBox 360 is really the console to own if you want new RPGs now or in the immediate future. Blue Dragon is a good solid traditional JRPG, Mass Effect is apparently amazing, and early next year, we can look forward to Lost Odyssey (looks very much like the Final Fantasy games in style and presentation values) and Operation Darkness (Strategy/JRPG with WW2 mixed with dragons, zombies, and werewolves) and Spectral Force 3 (looks to be a pretty standard Strategy/JRPG). Throw in the multiplatform games like Oblivion, Eternal Sonata (scheduled for the PS3 sometime in 2008, but available on the 360 now), most of Square Enix's titles (excluding Final Fantasy...at the moment) and the XBox 360 is a very solid choice for the RPG fan.

True, there are cool RPGs scheduled for the PS3, but most of those don't even have specific release dates yet whereas most of the 360 stuff is already out or scheduled for 1st quarter 2008. By the time the PS3 exclusive RPGs come out, who knows if they'll still be exclusive?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also let's not forget that Nippon Ichi is now a 360 developer, but has made no such announcement for the PS3.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Ok, so this is the wrong way to think of it. Sales of both formats are basically nothing compared to old SD DVDs and Sony has even admitted that they are deadlocked with HD-DVD. In any case, success will be determined by who gets a cheap enough player that can take over from DVD almost by default. Assuming that others in this thread aren't right about disks of any kind becoming obsolete.

Except, you know, the whole part about the 1st party nintendo games.

If you're interested mostly in multiplatform games with only a handful of exclusives either way, I'd suggest going for the 360 since 1) it's cheaper, 2) it's the primary development platform for many mutli-platform games, which leads to 3) other than like CoD4 and oblivion, most PS3 ports are worse than their 360 equivalents, espeically from EA. Because it's more difficult to program for, unless the companies make a special effort, PS3 versions are often delayed, and when they are released, they not-infrequently have frame rate problem. I mean, come on, Source is like 3 years old now, there's really no reason the PS3 should be having problems with it when it was able to be run on a freaking oxbox

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Based on the games you like: either get a 360 or upgrade your PC. :P

Unless you really need to play more games like Katamari Damacy, then 360 is your best bet for entertainment.
    But if you're dying to get more stuffs like Katamari Damacy or more unique titles, then Wii is the best choice.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ