Options

Burnout Paradise

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    KimFidler wrote: »
    Damn, after playing this online I want an Eyevision camera.

Ever since I got mine I've never been able to use it. Every game I join ends in a few minutes.

Jesus, you must be ugly.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Damn, after playing this online I want an Eyevision camera.

Ever since I got mine I've never been able to use it. Every game I join ends in a few minutes.

Jesus, you must be ugly.

y'all just jealous of my ballin' gold cars.
    you get a gold paint job unlocked for all your cars for getting the elite license

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just played online for the first time. It's kinda meh. Offline is WAAAAAAAY better, addicting as hell.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just played online for the first time. It's kinda meh. Offline is WAAAAAAAY better, addicting as hell.

Get in with a good group of people and online is too awesome. I didn't really like online until I got in with a group that was doing challenges/races/etc. Having fun online is totally determined by the host. If you get a good host it can make the game so much better.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    100%!
    get a platinum paint job available

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    100%!
    Neato. Personally I just got the Elite. I'm missing 2 jumps and 2 gates. I might have to look at a map for those :|. I barely even started showtime though :o Then it's off to work on online mode.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Get in with a good group of people and online is too awesome. I didn't really like online until I got in with a group that was doing challenges/races/etc. Having fun online is totally determined by the host. If you get a good host it can make the game so much better.

Ok can someone explain to me how to do this. I se people in the friends list but the only option is to invite them, which I assume is you starting a host game. How do you join your friends on the server they are on? (I know the manual says look for the special icon with the +, but I've never seen that.)

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you can't join their session, they're probably just in single-player. However, you might as well just host your own game and invite people - that way, you get to choose which Challenges you do. If you start it by inviting a friend rather than selecting Freeburn Online it'll default to Invite Only rather than Open. Then you can change it to Friends/Recent and anyone on your list can join you.

Whenever I'm online and just burning around for billboards or whatever I set up an open freeburn so people can just hop in, and if you invite me to a Burnout game I'll always join after I complete/fail my current event. So there's that. You should just be able to hit your Guide button and go to friends, find me through PAburnout, and just jump in from there. Or if I'm on your friends list at some point, directly through the Easy Drive system.

Oh, and the icon with the + is an icon in the Burnout Easy Drive menu - it applies to every game, though, not just Burnout, so you might see a Friend and try to join without realising they're playing Call of Duty, or whatever.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    HaterotHaterot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanks Willeth, very much appreciated!!

Haterot on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    100%!
    Neato. Personally I just got the Elite. I'm missing 2 jumps and 2 gates. I might have to look at a map for those :|. I barely even started showtime though :o Then it's off to work on online mode.

Wow --- good job guys! I'm still 8 wins away from Elite ---- and I haven't been paying much attention to the gates / jumps / billboards. Did you all use a map and/or guide to find all of them?

..and yeah, I might think of trying to do all the showtimes at some point. They're easily my least favorite part of the game. Fun to do every once and a while
    but doing them on road after road after road would get tedious real quick. I assume you can't just bounce from road to road and have that showtime set multiple records? ..actually, how does the game track your score? From your starting point?

And hey, sorry to everyone who threw invites at me while I was playing yesterday ---- I tried to connect to each game, but the connection kept timing out. :( I'll be around for longer tonight, after work, and after voting. Go go super tuesday!

I'll be more interested in doing more challenges than I will be in getting every smash/billboard/jump. To date, I only have all the 2-player challenges complete
    and a smattering of ones from other sized groups. Apart from that, I'll also probably start working on the ol' World Ranking once I get all the cars unlocked and finish up the Elite license.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Showtime is tracked from the road you start on. Owning a showtime road rule for any particular road is pretty much meaningless.

Hah, just thought - could I delete someone from my friends list and regain ownership of all the roads they took from me? What about if my account reverts to Silver? A question for mailbag@criteriongames.com, methinks!

Willeth on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't, for the life of me, seem to get the power parking achievement.

I'm doing it at the dam like the post about achievements said. But I can't seem to get it.

Is there a specific car that works better than others?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, do you get something for owning all the roads as well?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Nocren - Achievement.

I think I did the power parking in the Manhattan. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's not hard - just don't go too fast, and remember it's more important to be lined up with the other cars than it is to be exactly in between them.

Willeth on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    elizabex wrote: »
    And hey, sorry to everyone who threw invites at me while I was playing yesterday ---- I tried to connect to each game, but the connection kept timing out. :( I'll be around for longer tonight, after work, and after voting. Go go super tuesday!

That was me, I forgot I had the beta client for Age of Conan d/ling and it was trucking along at 1.5Mbps. I eventually got pissed off trying to get my 20x burnout and logged off. I've been trying with the Walmart racer going against the flow of traffic on the I-88. I can get up to 10x or so before just nailing someone. I've tried slower speed cars, but they handle like garbage. The Walmart F1 is sticky as shit. (Enter "walmart" in the sponsor code menu if you don't have it yet.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008

That was me, I forgot I had the beta client for Age of Conan d/ling and it was trucking along at 1.5Mbps. I eventually got pissed off trying to get my 20x burnout and logged off. I've been trying with the Walmart racer going against the flow of traffic on the I-88. I can get up to 10x or so before just nailing someone. I've tried slower speed cars, but they handle like garbage. The Walmart F1 is sticky as shit. (Enter "walmart" in the sponsor code menu if you don't have it yet.

I still need to take care of that achievement as well and would like to, as someone suggested earlier, do it via a player match race. If you switch off the traffic for the race, you can get it easily enough on the Freeway... as long as you can avoid the gates.

And yeah, the Walmart F1 is super sticky
    but, if I remember right, it doesn't drift worth a damn. Good for freeway driving, not so good for much else. It also doesn't help that stiff winds will take it out. ;)

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have an open freeburn going right now. Join!

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I haven't used a guide for any jumps/billboards/smashes. I'm saying that with 2 jumps and 2 smashes left, I might have to use one to find the last bits, as they're probably more hidden than usual.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I haven't used a guide for any jumps/billboards/smashes. I'm saying that with 2 jumps and 2 smashes left, I might have to use one to find the last bits, as they're probably more hidden than usual.

Yeah --- I'm hoping that, SOMEHOW, I'll magically come away with all the bits in the end. Using a guide to drive through all 400 smashes, just to ensure I got them all, isn't on my top ten list of things I'd like to spend a couple hours doing.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I'm not gonna use a guide for this. Not only do I not want to bother double checking everything, I kinda want the satisfaction of getting them by myself. It was brilliant when I did it in Crackdown.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Coincidentally the last car you get to take down looks the same as walmart car and has the identical stats. But its upgrade is badass.

Nocren wrote: »
    Hey, do you get something for owning all the roads as well?
    Like mentioned, an achievement, but you also get cars. One for setting all Road Rule Times, and one for setting all Road Rule Showtimes.
    Willeth wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not gonna use a guide for this. Not only do I not want to bother double checking everything, I kinda want the satisfaction of getting them by myself. It was brilliant when I did it in Crackdown.
    Finding Orbs in Crackdown is a billion times harder than anything in Burnout.

I found 398 smashes, 102 billboards, and 41 jumps before I used maps. I also found all but 3 events without maps (didn't know tollboths started events).

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I have three billboards left. I'm confident I won't need a map. Smashes maybe, but I'm going to force myself not to. Only five jumps left - same thing :p

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jumps are much easier to find once you realize that they are marked.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just felt a cold shiver.....

Then I came in here and found you mentioning the Crackdown Orbs. Evil be them.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    100%!

100%!

Now to spend the rest of my time online. It's still going to take me forever to get 20 wins :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    100%!

100%!

Now to spend the rest of my time online. It's still going to take me forever to get 20 wins :|

Hah --- I actually got the 20 wins achievement some time ago. I am excited to get back into the ranked races (I'm allowed to boast b/c I still have lots of random billboards, smashes, and jumps to get D: ---- I only just got Elite last night).

PS: it's a total downer, me thinks, that the ultimate car you have to take down is an indy-style car. I mean, huh? What game are we playing? And, hey, the burning route for the last car is also probably the easiest --- a straight highway drive. I didn't even use oncoming and still beat the time by 10 seconds.

PPS: ...I think it's actually 10 wins. There's a seperate achievement for competing in 20 online events.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I still need the 10 wins and 20 online events. But uh, i have 76 challenges complete? Wha?

I'm guessing events = races.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    100%!

100%!

Hah --- I actually got the 20 wins achievement some time ago. I am excited to get back into the ranked races (I'm allowed to boast b/c I still have lots of random billboards, smashes, and jumps to get D: ---- I only just got Elite last night).

PS: it's a total downer, me thinks, that the ultimate car you have to take down is an indy-style car. I mean, huh? What game are we playing? And, hey, the burning route for the last car is also probably the easiest --- a straight highway drive. I didn't even use oncoming and still beat the time by 10 seconds.

PPS: ...I think it's actually 10 wins. There's a seperate achievement for competing in 20 online events.

Hotrod wheelies = cool!

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anyone hear anything else about the Downloadable Content that EA are going to be releasing?

I hope it comes for both PS3 and 360, or i'm going to be miserable.

360 owners got Mass Effect DLC too :( I don't even have a 360 to play the game, it broked.

Stupid 360.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The buzz is that since EA cut the size of the city down that the cut out parts will be the DLC. Apparently you can still see them, the bridges are just missing.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bridges are there, there's just massive construction in the way.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They talked about new content on the podcast. Apparently it's going to be a mix of free and paid. But one of the achievements refers to paid DLC anyway, so we knew it was coming.

Also, new areas? What?

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comparison of the release map with the development map. There's a whole second island to be explore (or there would be). Pretty much right at the waterfront there's a big bridge under construction.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I still need the 10 wins and 20 online events. But uh, i have 76 challenges complete? Wha?

I'm guessing events = races.

I think your guess has merit!

..completed all the Road Rules times last night. Was a lot easier after I learned how to operate the map to show which ones I needed to hit. It was also fun when Pika came on last night and I had new times to try and beat. MWAHAHAHHA.

On that note, I only kind of understand the times you set. I was playing with my brother last night --- each of us in a freeburn session doing timed Road Rules races. Each road, when you're looking at Online Times, is either RED (someone else online has a faster time than you do on that road), SILVER (..I believe meaning that you have the fastest time on that road among everyone online at that time, or GOLD..

..I have no idea what the GOLD means. As my brother and I were playing, he'd occasionally beat my "speed record" on a certain road (as opposed to beating my time). I think speed records correspond to teh roads marked in gold... but I'm not sure.

HEY, maybe it's in the manual! Anyone clear on the above?

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Silver means you rule the road in either Showtime or Time. Gold means you rule it in both.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Finally! Nailed the Kirieger 616 burning route. Funnily enough, I went the long way round and got there with seconds to spare.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hm, the Kreiger 616 is the next one I have on my list to do. Everything up until now on the car list hasn't been too hard - should I prepare? :p

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think it's more the lack of constant boosting ability that messed me up. That and I suck.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I didn't have too tough a time with the 616's burning route.
    I do wish the upgraded 616 didn't have a big stupid spider motif on it, though.

What I'm really starting to dread are the Marked Man events, which seem less like the exciting cat-and-mouse outsmart-the-bad-guys action I thought they'd be and more like the unstopabble bullshit impossible instant-death cheese events. How am I supposed to survive going from downtown to the goddamned wind farm, even if I'm in a really strong car and know where the repair shops are? I mean, I actually took the shortcut through the train tracks (the one that has that huge mountain-spanning bridge with the roller-coaster dip) and they followed me there. Argh.

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Stupornaut wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't have too tough a time with the 616's burning route.
    I do wish the upgraded 616 didn't have a big stupid spider motif on it, though.

What I'm really starting to dread are the Marked Man events, which seem less like the exciting cat-and-mouse outsmart-the-bad-guys action I thought they'd be and more like the unstopabble bullshit impossible instant-death cheese events. How am I supposed to survive going from downtown to the goddamned wind farm, even if I'm in a really strong car and know where the repair shops are? I mean, I actually took the shortcut through the train tracks (the one that has that huge mountain-spanning bridge with the roller-coaster dip) and they followed me there. Argh.

There's no time limit on them...just take it easy on the speed and often they won't even bother hitting you. I usually stick to pretty slow speeds if my damage starts to get critical.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]